Getting in from wait list

Hi,

I have a feeling I'm going to be waitlisted at many schools and I just wanted to know if anyone on here has been waitlisted and actually given a position at the school later on? Please let me know, I'm not sure if that happens often, or if you're waitlisted its basically like being rejected.

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Wildfox92 said:

Hi,

I have a feeling I'm going to be waitlisted at many schools and I just wanted to know if anyone on here has been waitlisted and actually given a position at the school later on? Please let me know, I'm not sure if that happens often, or if you're waitlisted its basically like being rejected.

Thanks!

I was waitlisted at two schools last year, and one of them accepted me after I had already accepted another offer.  My field is English, and waitlists for different fields could be different.

Edited by cowgirlsdontcry

I actually think it's pretty common to get in off the waitlists. It may be a little frustrating to have to wait until people who got accepted to send in their "no thanks" to the school, but I think it definitely happens. I know several friends who got in off the waitlist at schools.

I was accepted off the waitlist from 2 out of the 4 schools I was waitlisted at, and am now attending one of them.  There were also a few acceptances, and several rejections.  Applying to grad school is rough- especially for SLP.  Good luck through this process!

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted into one school that I was initially waitlisted at! This school I was accepted into was at the end of July after I had already accepted my position at another school but still. Two schools I was waitlisted at I think I was about one person off of actually being accepted into because they would do multiple rounds of accepting off the waitlist and I made it to the last round. My one friend was accepted off a waitlist and that's the program she ended up going to! So don't think of it as a rejection!

I applied to 11 schools and got waitlisted at 2, and then accepted into 1. I don't regret at all applying to a lot of schools! Also you need to remember that waitlists are NOT a rejection--as long as you stay in contact with the school, you can show that you're genuinely interested in their program. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I was recently waitlisted by my top choice and they stated that if an interview slot opened, they would notify me. Does THAT happen often? I would think everyone who applied would accept the interview invite and that they would select from that group...so basically I read the letter and counted it as a rejection. I am debating on emailing them and restating my interest and thanking them but I’m feeling a tad pessimistic about my chances. What should I do??

I was waitlisted at 3 schools, and got into 2 of 3 I was waitlisted at. It definitely happens. The only one I considered going to that I was waitlisted at, was really expensive for out of state students so I declined. But the tuition may give you an idea about how likely you are to hear from them. I'm assuming a lot of people chose less expensive options.