What to infer from professors' replies?

jyothsnapb

Question

I have been getting some "Your profile looks good" "Your background matches my research interest" replies followed by either some general (I perceive so. Correct me if I'm wrong) comments like "I encourage you to apply" or "I'd be happy to work with you if you get accepted" or some very few mails discussing specifics. I don't know what to classify as neutral, stock or positive. Can someone please help me out? Are these comments on profile and background at least slightly positive and specific or just formal and stock? These are from some really reputed programs or unis. So I don't believe they need to promote anything but I have been hearing such opinions. Any truth to it? I am really confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

5 answers to this question

I would call this a stock positive reply. It means exactly what they say: if you get accepted, they would be glad to work with you. They are not making any statement on your chances of being accepted because there is no way they can know. Even if they are on the admissions committee, I don't think all the applications would be in yet so they wouldn't be in a position to judge your application. And even if they were, it is unlikely that you will get any evaluation through unofficial channels such as emails. You'll hear the results from the admissions committee once they are finished with the process.

For me, this was the reply I was looking for. I wouldn't have wanted to apply to the school if they were not interested in the topic I proposed or if they did not want to take more students.

Yeah, don't read too much into this. It's a social nicety reply - it means nothing about your chances of admission, only that you have interests that overlap with the professors' and maybe an interesting profile. They're all pretty neutral in valence - maybe "your profile looks good" is slightly positive.

Also, of course really reputed programs still need to promote and recruit students.