Fall 2018 Application

On 12/21/2017 at 10:00 AM, HannahRae said:

UIC is kind of notoriously slow with their response and I've heard that they can get back to you as late as the end of April. UChicago sent me an email indicating that they would send out decisions the first week of February for people who submitted their apps early.  

Heard from UIC a little under a week ago! guess they’re more on the ball this year.

I'm applying to Drexel, Long Island University, St. John's, University of Maryland, University of Mass: Boston, Simmons College, Rutgers, and University of Rhode Island for a Master's in Library and Information Sciences. So far I have been accepted to Drexel, LIU, and St John's. I'm hoping to hear from the rest soon since the rest of my letters of rec have finally been sent in. It's nerve-wracking since I haven't been accepted to Simmons or Rutgers yet, which are undoubtedly my top choices, with UMD as a close second.

On 2018. 1. 13. at 2:55 PM, Aiunt said:

yay!! what are you going for?

I am going for 20month program! What about you? 

Also do you know whether I need to do anything before accepting their admission? (I also did  look for what I should do, but just want to make sure ?) I am stil waiting admission from other schools! 

On 1/12/2018 at 7:05 PM, Danica said:

Hi all! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I hope this encourages other lurkers to become active in this thread. I realized I need to get connected to other future social workers because yesterday I also received my acceptance to UM. :o I come from a heavy research background and only last year realized that social work fit more in line with my goals. UM is definitely a reach for me so I'm shocked that someone with comparatively little social service experience as others I've read in here received a quick acceptance into the top program in the country.

I've also applied to UChicago, UW, UT Austin (my home state), and UT Knoxville (the state where I currently live). If I get into UT Austin, it will be a tough decision between that and a southerner braving through a Michigan winter. I do plan on visiting UM soon to make my decision clearer. Curious, is anyone else applying to UT Austin?

Congratulations!  Mind if I ask when you applied, and what your GPA is?  Also, did you apply to any of of the special scholarship programs?

Hi all! Also a long time lurker and first time poster as someone mentioned earlier in this thread. I applied to UChicago, PSU and Lewis & Clark college also in Portland but for their Marriage, Couple, Family Therapy program. Currently Portland based and work at PSU, but UChicago was my "pie-in-the-sky" reach school. Good luck out there! The waiting is making me a little antsy.

18 hours ago, jcm15850 said:

Hi all! Also a long time lurker and first time poster as someone mentioned earlier in this thread. I applied to UChicago, PSU and Lewis & Clark college also in Portland but for their Marriage, Couple, Family Therapy program. Currently Portland based and work at PSU, but UChicago was my "pie-in-the-sky" reach school. Good luck out there! The waiting is making me a little antsy.

So I have never been to Portland but love the culture of the city from what I have read and learned about it. PSU is one of my top choices and I was just wondering, since you are in the area and work at the school, can you tell me if on a personal level you like the school? Is the Social Work program respected in the area? Also, how do you feel about the city in general? Thanks for any tips, tricks, or advice :) 

5 hours ago, CM0811 said:

So I have never been to Portland but love the culture of the city from what I have read and learned about it. PSU is one of my top choices and I was just wondering, since you are in the area and work at the school, can you tell me if on a personal level you like the school? Is the Social Work program respected in the area? Also, how do you feel about the city in general? Thanks for any tips, tricks, or advice :) 

Absolutely! I think one of the best things I like about Portland State/Portland in general is that it doesn't feel like a "big" city. PSU is so well-known in the community too, so I feel like it's a great network to be a part of especially if you're interested in staying in Portland long-term. I don't consider PSU a traditional university, just because the students are so diverse in their experiences. I can't say for certain, but I would estimate that most students from PSU are non-traditional/transfers for undergraduate studies. I came out to Portland in 2015 for AmeriCorps, and I feel like I heard about PSU right off the bat because many non-profits utilize student interns from various programs. Also, in the 3 different jobs I've had here,  at least 1 co-worker of mine earned their Master's from PSU. I've enjoyed working for them too (being a state employee has great benefits!), although the institution as a whole seems to be pressed for funding. To be honest, I am not counting on getting a generous financial aid package if accepted (it will likely just be federal loans). 

The social work program from what I heard (which hasn't been a whole lot) seems to be popular and competitive. I've heard it's a bit of a generalized education to social work and a lot of focus on the macro level. It also seems to be highly regarded to other Portlanders and employers. As far as the city goes, I came from the south, so Portland was a bit of a culture shock for me. I've grown to really love it here and the neighborly vibe in the city. There are plenty of non-profits and the job market seems to be on the up & up too, which helps! It is kind of true though that it can feel like a place where "young people go to retire," but ultimately my experience here and the people I've met have been invaluable to me. I can also testify that despite how crazy housing can be, I've been able to live comfortably in Portland on a very small salary for the last 2 and a half years or so, so it might not be that bad if living here on a student's budget (although I will say it probably won't be easy, but definitely not impossible). 

I hope that helps! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. 

On 1/16/2018 at 5:30 PM, atomizer said:

Congratulations!  Mind if I ask when you applied, and what your GPA is?  Also, did you apply to any of of the special scholarship programs?

Thank you! I submitted my application on November 30th. I'll PM you my GPA. I did not apply to any of the special scholarship programs.

9 hours ago, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

Hey yall, I don’t know how many of you applied to CSU Long Beach or Fullerton, but there are pages for each of them separately. I created the one for Fullerton, but it’s empty so far. 

That's in the "waiting it out" forum right? I'm so bummed that no one is on the MSW forums on here for the CSUs and UCs like they were last year.

I was accepted to Long Island University for a Master's in Library Science. Yesterday I received my financial aid package and it was entirely loans, which was deeply disappointing. I'd like to avoid taking out as many loans as I can, not take out only loans. Hopefully some of my other schools pick up the slack.

Hey everybody, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I figured I would share in case it helps anybody out. I was accepted to University of Michigan last year for fall 2017, but due to financial issues (read: graduate school is crazy expensive and I was offer nominal funding) I decided to defer my admission for one year. I had to resubmit paperwork this fall that I intended to enroll for fall 2018, and resubmit my financial aid application and any special programs applications (which I chose not to apply for since none really fit where I am hoping to end up). The school of social work sent out my financial award package notification via email Thursday 1/17. I was awarded a School of Social Work Dean's Scholarship for $20,000 and a grant for $2,000 - a HUGE increase from what I was offered from last year! So those of you who have already been admitted should start getting your financial package awards soon I would imagine. Also, it goes to show that there is no "set" criteria for what makes a strong candidate for either admission or financial assistance, I was considered for two separate years and was awarded two very different award packages, as the EXACT same student, literally nothing changed about my financial aid application!

Also, (sorry this post is getting really long) my U of M SSW timeline starts sooner, I applied late in March 2016 meaning I missed the priority deadline so I was initially waitlisted. I didn't know any different so I just accepted my fate and figured I would wait another year and apply early decision 2017. Well come to find out, if you get placed on the waitlist, you can request an interview with the admissions team, which can make a huge difference! I had a non-traditional application. I had a struggling, to put it nicely, GPA for my first year and a half of undergrad until I buckled down and finished with a 3.8 GPA even though I only had like a 2.8 cumulative GPA. I had a long list of extra curricular activities and experiences that helped make up for that shortcoming. Long story short, if you worked hard and put forth effort to make up for one "less than stellar" aspect of your application and end up waitlisted, request an interview! My interview is what I am pretty sure got me into the program and ultimately got me a pretty well funded position!

Good luck everybody! At this point, everybody has put in their hard work, it's time to just sit back and wait for it to pay off!!

Heyo! Applied to NYU, Columbia, UChicago! Started apps for UPenn, and FSU (my fallback, also the only one that required the GRE)

So far I've been accepted to UChicago ($25,000 a year scholarship) and NYU ($17,000). Application process was a pain, but I started gathering all of my materials in August. Good luck to everyone!

12 hours ago, Quinoa96 said:

Heyo! Applied to NYU, Columbia, UChicago! Started apps for UPenn, and FSU (my fallback, also the only one that required the GRE)

So far I've been accepted to UChicago ($25,000 a year scholarship) and NYU ($17,000). Application process was a pain, but I started gathering all of my materials in August. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on those acceptances! I was also accepted to NYU with a $17,000 offer. I'm waiting to see what I hear from Columbia as that is my first choice. I could see myself going to NYU though if Columbia doesn't offer much in scholarships should I be accepted. 

10 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

Congrats on those acceptances! I was also accepted to NYU with a $17,000 offer. I'm waiting to see what I hear from Columbia as that is my first choice. I could see myself going to NYU though if Columbia doesn't offer much in scholarships should I be accepted. 

Do you think the $17,000 is a good offer? My biggest concern was not being able to support myself since NY is so expensive. Congrats to you as well!!

I second @HopefullyMSW

I am also a deferred admit to UM SSW. Last year I received a generous funding package from UM SSW but realized I wasn't in the position to relocate so soon. They contacted me last week with an updated package that totals $60,000 in scholarships and grants. My cumulative GPA was so-so,  major GPA only slightly higher, so I am assuming the rest of my application was stellar enough to not only get in but to receive funding as well. It is truly a holistic review process. 

FYI I heard back late February 2017. I think I heard earlier this year because I am a deferred admit. 

Best of luck to you all about acceptances and funding offers. 

I guess I'll start by saying I've been lurking on this page for a while similar to a few of you! 

I just wanted to join a community to help me get through this waiting process. I'm getting really bad anxiety!! Plus I figure maybe I can have a friend if we commit to the same school.

I've applied to 10 MSW programs (I know it's excessive but I'm looking to relocate so I just threw out applications across the nation). Haven't heard back from any because I applied to each of them like super last minute (busy bee/procrastinator). I'm waiting to hear from UChicago, Columbia, NYU, Boston University, SDSU, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UWashington, UMinnesota, UDenver. First choice: Columbia. 

Any tips to ease the stress? 

On 1/21/2018 at 11:04 AM, Quinoa96 said:

CONGRATS!!! When did you submit these apps?

Kat hello and welcome to our anxious group... I applied to UCLA so I'll be active on here with info as I hear it on and I hope to hear what happens with your other Cali schools. Is Cal your top choice or what's your first pick given you got in all of them? The thread for UCLA last year had the first person hearing back mid February. Also any stats you care to share? I'm graduating with my BA in psych from a local UC, 4.0 when I applied for my upper division units (not cumulative), internships and work experience in addiction treatment. Anyway that's my story, welcome to the group. OH also, did you have any problems with your UCLA application?! They lost all my stuff and I had to resubmit everything.

Edited by BackNSchool83