Insight on first semester of grad school

Hi all! 

I am a current slp graduate student in my first semester. I remember being incredibly scared and anxious during the application process and months leading up to graduate school after hearing many horror stories about stress level/lack of time and not knowing what to expect and being so nervous to start clinic for the first time. I remember reading through this forum and trying to soak up any and all information I could find about what to expect when I started. I am now 2 months in and loving every second! Yes it is a lot of work, but it is so exciting to be able to apply the knowledge you've spent 4 years learning and getting to connect with clients and see their progress. If you are anything like I was and and feeling anxious/curious about what to expect please feel free to ask me any questions! :) 

Edited by SLP2BNY

@futureSLPhopefullylol I was in the same exact boat! I felt I didn't have a very inspiring reason why I chose the field or any major struggles I've had to overcome that would make me stand out. Many of my professors told me to focus more on why I think I would succeed in their graduate program/ what qualities I have to offer to make myself an appealing candidate. So I wrote about relevant past work/ volunteer/ extracurricular experience that I thought would help me succeed in clinic (internship as a co-ESL teacher showed I am able to collaborate well with other professionals, 1:1 autism aide, experience working in special needs school, etc.) and then that I believed my undergraduate grades showed I am committed to academic achievement so I believe I would be successful in their classes,and that I possess time management/organizational skills to balance clinic and coursework, etc. I also tailored my personal statement to each school I was applying to. I looked up what research/specialty clinics each school offered.  I then wrote about what areas of the field I was most interested in/what kind of setting I hope to work in and how I thought the research/unique opportunities that school provides would help me be successful in those areas. Hope that helps!

@chloslp I came in feeling incredibly unprepared. I went to a different school for undergrad, so I was nervous that I didn't learn the same things those that went to my current grad school for undergrad did, and I felt like I hadn't had as much shadowing/outside experience as others, plus my undergrad program didn't offer clinic practicum while others did, so I was worried I would be behind. However, when I started I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed like most of my cohort was all on the same page. Many of my classes (aside from neuro lol) overlapped with many things I learned in undergrad but just went into more detail. As far as clinic, I was nervous I would be thrown in and have no idea what I was doing, but the supervisors offered a lot of support because they want you to succeed and they know what level of support students need to do that. They offered many "inservices" the first few weeks to help you figure out how to do paperwork, logs, etc. and work with the population you were assigned. I also have a class just for clinic procedures to practice writing goals, SOAP notes, plan of cares, etc. I also have a 2nd year mentor who has been extremely helpful in figuring out the ropes. I came in with the mindset that it was going to be extremely difficult. Overall in regards to classes I have felt much more prepared than I thought I would. Even though I didn't feel prepared for clinic coming in, all of the support given through my clinic class, inservices, and mentor helped me feel very prepared for my first clinic session once I started! 

Thank you for your insight because as you mentioned many others made it seem like the "worst years." I was like, I get that it's time consuming and requires dedication, but is it that bad to where you need medication and your mental health is at stake? If possible, could you update us around finals time just to let us know how you are doing? I know it sounds like an odd request, but I would like to know if the stress of finals in undergrad is the same, much more intense, etc? If not, that is perfectly fine. Thanks , again. All the best.

@Blue J I would be happy to update you around finals time! During undergrad I also often heard that it was the worst 2 years of your life and you just need to get through it so I went in expecting the worst, and have been pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying myself. As it nears the end of the semester and due dates for final presentations/papers near I definitely am feeling more overwhelmed with work, but since I enjoy all the topics it is work I don't mind doing. The amount of valuable information/experience I have gained the past 2 months is definitely worth the workload! You'll look back after a few months and be shocked at how much you've grown in such a short time, and you'll be happy that you've been assigned the workload you have because you know it is making you a better clinician in the long run. I also expected to have no time for a life whatsoever based on what I had heard but have been pleasantly surprised that if you manage your time well there is still time to do things you enjoy!