Clinical PhD Rankings?

pinkingpsych

Hi! 

I've already applied to most of my schools for clinical psych Ph.D.s, but I was wondering, is there a good site to look at for the rankings of these programs? I'd like to use it if it ends up that I get into a program to show my parents how prestigious or not a school is (unfortunately this is the majority of what they care about when deciding whether they'll allow me to leave them or not, which is a whole different issue). If I knew ahead of time, I could better prepare myself for the rejection(s) and future, or come up with a good argument in the meantime. 

Thanks in advance :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2017 at 10:32 AM, psych0 said:

are they fully funded? US news has a ranking system.

yeah I only applied to fully funded programs, but my parents come from a culture where i cannot make any decisions without them until im married and i care about having a relationship with them. okay that's what i used but i wasn't sure if the ranking system was the best. thanks!

1 hour ago, pshamu said:

yeah I only applied to fully funded programs, but my parents come from a culture where i cannot make any decisions without them until im married and i care about having a relationship with them. okay that's what i used but i wasn't sure if the ranking system was the best. thanks!

This is somewhat tangential but I can see this possibly serving as a source of conflict for you throughout the interview process and graduate career. PI's and programs want to see autonomy in their students and if your parent's are over involved in your life as an adult, regardless of culture, this could raise some red flags (ie parent's accompanying a student to interview day or social functions for applicants). More relevant is that more so than rankings you have to focus predominantly on fit. You can adore top ranked schools like Harvard/UCLA/Chapel Hill but if fit isn't there you'll either a) not get an interview/be accepted or; b ) be accepted but be miserable in the program for 5 - 6 years. I understand needing to respect your parents (I'm from a culture with similar viewpoints and took forever to get my parents out of a 'its MD or bust' mindset) but you need to balance that with respecting your independent growth and development.

On 12/17/2017 at 1:28 AM, 8BitJourney said:

This is somewhat tangential but I can see this possibly serving as a source of conflict for you throughout the interview process and graduate career. PI's and programs want to see autonomy in their students and if your parent's are over involved in your life as an adult, regardless of culture, this could raise some red flags (ie parent's accompanying a student to interview day or social functions for applicants). More relevant is that more so than rankings you have to focus predominantly on fit. You can adore top ranked schools like Harvard/UCLA/Chapel Hill but if fit isn't there you'll either a) not get an interview/be accepted or; b ) be accepted but be miserable in the program for 5 - 6 years. I understand needing to respect your parents (I'm from a culture with similar viewpoints and took forever to get my parents out of a 'its MD or bust' mindset) but you need to balance that with respecting your independent growth and development.

Thanks for the advice. I don't really think I need to explain my situation but it's not about respecting them. I've already applied to programs based on fit regarding research interests, so this was more to prepare myself for massive disappointment if my parents decide a program is not worth it because of its ranking or distance away from them.