Fall 2018 French

frenchlover

Well it's game over for Chicago. They recommended me for their MAPH program instead which...no...

I still have Pittsburgh and Rutgers to hear from.

Schools were rather fast I'd say. I still have to wait til March for visit days but I can already make some comparisons and think about my decision!

@Carly Rae Jepsen Oof. You could always respond, "Thank you so much for your offer. It will be so difficult to choose between your MAPH program and my PhD offers from UNC, Washington U., Indiana, and Stanford. I'll let you know."  XD

1 hour ago, HomewardBound said:

@Carly Rae Jepsen Oof. You could always respond, "Thank you so much for your offer. It will be so difficult to choose between your MAPH program and my PhD offers from UNC, Washington U., Indiana, and Stanford. I'll let you know."  XD

Haha I really should! Though I understand competition must have been intense, they probably accept 1 or 2 people at most every year.

3 hours ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Haha I really should! Though I understand competition must have been intense, they probably accept 1 or 2 people at most every year.

Ha, I’m in the same situation where Columbia offered to transfer my dossier to the MA program, and...uh...no thanks? I already have two PhD offers?

5 hours ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Well it's game over for Chicago. They recommended me for their MAPH program instead which...no...

I still have Pittsburgh and Rutgers to hear from.

Schools were rather fast I'd say. I still have to wait til March for visit days but I can already make some comparisons and think about my decision!

Did they tell you that personally or was it an email? Because I get that one from UChicago and another one for an MBA every year from UCLA. haha

I wonder if next week will be too soon to hear from Rutgers, and if it will be the week after that. The info I was given from the dpt corresponds to mid-Feb... We shall see!

19 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Did they tell you that personally or was it an email? Because I get that one from UChicago and another one for an MBA every year from UCLA. haha

I wonder if next week will be too soon to hear from Rutgers, and if it will be the week after that. The info I was given from the dpt corresponds to mid-Feb... We shall see!

Oh it was an email addressed to me lol. 

Looking forwards to Rutgers!

6 hours ago, HomewardBound said:

I wouldn't be sarcastic if I were you.  Academia is small and it may come back to haunt you, especially at professional events.  

Hi all, 

Wow! Inundated with good news on this forum! 

I've been crazy busy the last two days so I couldn't post anything on the forum. 

Congratulations to all of you on the acceptances, the interview calls and the campus visits! 

I got my first acceptance from UI Bloomington for their PhD program too :D theirs was my first application and they're a good fit so I'm really happy! They will send a more details about funding etc soon. 

I got a reject from Yale and Chicago. So just waiting for what the others have to say. 

Has NYU sent all their decisions? Rather impatient about that. 

@Green.Mango CONGRATS ON UI BLOOMINGTON!!! I'm super, super happy for you, I always love seeing new acceptances on the board.

I got an invite from NYU, but since there were so many deadlines and programs at the IFS and French Studies Faculty, I wouldn't fret too much about it getting a response very soon. It seems that even visiting days have "shifts" because there are so many candidates. From the results page, it looks as though they send announcements until April (!) because they're such a huge department, and they seem to extend offers to people who did not attend the invite. I almost have to treat it as an anomaly since it's such a giant program that is incredibly different from the others!

Edited by madamoiselle

Thanks @madamoiselle ! I'm hoping for some good news there which is why I'm going a bit crazy. Anyhoo, shall wait and watch. You seem to be on a roll though! Berkeley, Cornell and an invite from NYU... i'm sure i've missed something too! BIG BIG congratulations to you too! 

@Carly Rae Jepsen Congrats on UI Bloomington as well! You have some difficult decisions to make :)  

I didn't realize there was a limit to how many times you can react to posts in a day. I've maxed out on mine. But congratulations on all the acceptances and bon courage to all those who have interviews and visits lined up! 

Congratulations @Green.Mango! I hope you and @Carly Rae Jepsen get offered great funding packages for IU. I've loved my undergraduate experience in the French department here, and the graduate-level course I'm in right now is amazing too. I do have to warn, though, that IU is a little notorious for seriously underpaying grad students. (Although take that with a grain of salt as I've mostly heard that from English PhD's and have had much fewer conversations with French PhD's about funding.)

Congrats to you as well @Green.Mango !!! Are you planning on visiting IUB? I'm trying to arrange a visit for March, theirs was also my first app!

@Monsieur Vénus thanks for the heads up. They sent me some estimate of what the stipend might be and they also mentioned that living in Bloomington was very affordable. Before making a decision I plan on visiting campus and seeing the funding offer.

Thanks for letting us know @Monsieur Vénus I'll keep this in mind when they make their offer. 

@Carly Rae Jepsen I would like to do a campus visit ( and hopefully bring my partner along as well) but I'm yet to schedule a conversation with a professor to get more details about funding and other program related things. 

Good to know you're trying for March, I'll keep you in the loop. 

11 hours ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Congrats to you as well @Green.Mango !!! Are you planning on visiting IUB? I'm trying to arrange a visit for March, theirs was also my first app!

@Monsieur Vénus thanks for the heads up. They sent me some estimate of what the stipend might be and they also mentioned that living in Bloomington was very affordable. Before making a decision I plan on visiting campus and seeing the funding offer.

Congratulations on IUB! It's a gorgeous area and it really is affordable to live there. (And hello from the Spanish side of the Languages section!) My $0.02 on IUB is to be sure if you will be required to pay fees out of pocket. My offer last year required that I pay the ~$1,000. It might be a good point of negotiation if you are really interested in their program! 

And to everyone else - congratulations on admits, and if you are still waiting, hang in there! Sending good thoughts. :)

11 hours ago, scarvesandcardigans said:

Congratulations on IUB! It's a gorgeous area and it really is affordable to live there. (And hello from the Spanish side of the Languages section!) My $0.02 on IUB is to be sure if you will be required to pay fees out of pocket. My offer last year required that I pay the ~$1,000. It might be a good point of negotiation if you are really interested in their program! 

And to everyone else - congratulations on admits, and if you are still waiting, hang in there! Sending good thoughts. :)

Thank you! I will keep that in mind, I didn't think about that. I was aware that for UNC for example they also require that I pay close to $1000, so I guess other schools will say this as well. i definitely have to ask about this.

Greetings to the Spanish side! Me alegra escuchar que varios miembros ya han sido aceptados a varias escuelas :D 

---

August is far away, hopefully I'll be able to save for school fees and the deposit to rent a place. Whew, stress creeping in again.

NICE @Saltshaker!!! Super congratulations to you! :)

As for me, on the other side of the spectrum, I got my official rejection from UPenn! It was always kind of a reach and not the best fit, so I'm not too upset. I already have a few programs to get really excited about :)

@Saltshaker Congrats on LSU! They're a great program, especially for postcolonial studies.

@madamoiselle and @Monsieur Vénus Sorry to hear about UPenn! But you two have some really incredible offers already, so the decision is already going to be difficult!