Fall 2018 Admission

deleteaccount

I've submitted my last application yesterday evening. It's been a strange last few months. 

I am an international applicant from the Netherlands. As many people from here apply to universities in the United States or Canada, I had to do most of my application on my own. No professors or advisors to help me with writing my SOP. I feel quite proud that I ended up seeing it all through.

And now, my watch begins. Good luck everyone who's still applying.

On 12/17/2017 at 4:39 AM, DutchStudent said:

Applied to : Toronto, UBC, GATech, UCSD, Washington, Berkeley

I am assured of a position in the Master program at the University of Groningen.

I'm just finishing my undergrad at UBC, it's a beautiful campus when its not raining. 

Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have applied to UBC, UofT(MScAC), UAlberta(Msc coursework), Windsor(MAC), Lakehead(MSc) in Computer Science courses.

I will apply to 2 or 3 more universities.

IELTS:8.0

CGPA:8.5/10

No papers.

3 Internships.

Many Technical Projects.
Specialization for MS: AI/ML

I will apply to 3 or so more universities.

Mostly from these:

Ottawa/Carleton, McMaster, UOIT, Western, Victoria, Queens.

Mostly I'll go with Ottawa, McMaster and Western/Queesn

Undergrad Institution: Top 15 university
Major(s): Electrical/computer engineering
Minor(s): Robotics and Mechatronics
Overall GPA: 3.89/4.00
Position in Class: Top 10%/200
Type of Student: International Asian male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170 (97%)
V: 166 (97%)
W: 4.5 (82%)

Research Experience: senior thesis, summer research internship at ETH Zurich

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: some GPA-based ones; some from work

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 2.5 years work experience in Silicon Valley; heavy digital design and embedded software implementation

Applying to Where:
Stanford - MS - CS - HCP part-time
MIT - PhD - EECS - Computation structures group (comp arch/systems/OS)

Undergrad institution: An top-tier university ranking 10th in computer science nationally (Ranks 41th in CS major by USNews World Report)
Major: Computer Science
Overall GPA: 3.78/4.00
Class Ranking: 18/303 (6%)
Type of Student: International, Asian

TOEFL: 106 (R30, L29, S19, W28)
GRE: 327 (V157, Q170, AW4.0)

Research Experiences: Lab Researches (SwiftIO, McWiz, FlexBM), School funded project (Optical Text Recognition based on Phone Camera)

Publications: 1x First Author, Submitted to ICS 2018; 1x 3rd Author, Submitted to ICS 2018; 1x 4th Author, Submitted to CCGrid 2018

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Motorola Scholarship, Special Prize of NECCS 2016, Provincial Third Prize of Imagine Cup 2016, District first prize in national-wide web security challenge

Internships: 6 months remote internship as developer at a tiny US startup. 

CV/Personal Site: https://excelle08.me

Perspective Direction: Distributed/Parallel Systems, Storage Systems

Applying to Where:
Lotteries: CMU and U of Washington
Top tier: GATech, UCSD, Wisconsin-Madison, UTexas Austin
Realistic choices: NEU, Stony Brook, PennState, UCR, UVa, UMN
Safe schools: George Mason, W&M College, UTexas Dallas

Progress:
Positive Feedback from POI via interview:
UCR, George Mason, NEU, UVa
Interviewed but with neutral feedbacks:
PennState
Interviewed but results unknown yet:
UCSD(Via OA take-home tasks)
Contact In Progress:
UTexas Dallas

On 1/5/2018 at 7:11 AM, SVorPhD said:

Undergrad Institution: Top 15 university
Major(s): Electrical/computer engineering
Minor(s): Robotics and Mechatronics
Overall GPA: 3.89/4.00
Position in Class: Top 10%/200
Type of Student: International Asian male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170 (97%)
V: 166 (97%)
W: 4.5 (82%)

Research Experience: senior thesis, summer research internship at ETH Zurich

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: some GPA-based ones; some from work

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 2.5 years work experience in Silicon Valley; heavy digital design and embedded software implementation

Applying to Where:
Stanford - MS - CS - HCP part-time
MIT - PhD - EECS - Computation structures group (comp arch/systems/OS)

Wow your GRE score is awesome!

By the way do you have any publications?

So bravery of you to only apply to the two top schools...

Good luck!

Undergrad institution: Recently-founded (20 years) university in Europe
Major: Computer Science
Overall GPA: 4.00/4.00
Class Ranking: Best of university since foundation (attested by LOR from head of department)
Type of Student: International, European

IELTS:  8.5
GRE: Not taken

Research Experiences: Undergrad research, SE internship research focused at top 5 industry in CS, Research internship at same top 5 industry, currently doing one year research Master at top 5 UK university.

Publications: One publication in top journal (pending review, but accepted extended abstract, unfortunately not my main field of interest), one patent with top 5 industry (very relevant to my field interest).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Various scholarship at my undergrad including exchange programme scholarship and merit scholarship. Got distinction in my undergrad.

Internships: See Research Experiences.

Perspective Direction: Systems, Performance Optimization, Verification.

Strengths: Definitely good LORs, one from a very well know researcher in my field that worked with a Turing award, one from the head of my undergrad department who was my research supervisor. Two additional LORs that are also very good.

Applying to Where: MIT EECS PhD Programme (F18). Will try again next year (since I will be able to take the GRE) to apply to more schools.

Edited by minuto

On 1/6/2018 at 6:58 AM, excelle08 said:

Wow your GRE score is awesome!

By the way do you have any publications?

So bravery of you to only apply to the two top schools...

Good luck!

No real publications.

It's not so much bravery and more a cost-benefit analysis of leaving industry for school.
I believe I can develop as a researcher within industry (albeit longer initial ramp up) to a comparable degree to doing a PhD.
As such, I can't justify leaving industry for vast majority of places.
Also, my interests are quite niche and many other top-tier schools didn't have the best fit.

1 hour ago, eighty8keys said:

Man... Compared to a lot of other programs, CS grad schools are really taking their time. I've barely seen any CS results in the results section.

Comparing against last year’s CS results, this year’s number of results so far seems nearly identical. Using that as a rubric, I would expect to begin seeing many more results posted starting next week. Of course, it seems CS is in considerable demand, so it is conceivable it may take longer to evaluate the ever growing avalanche of applicants.

3 minutes ago, spamhaus said:

Comparing against last year’s CS results, this year’s number of results so far seems nearly identical. Using that as a rubric, I would expect to begin seeing many more results posted starting next week. Of course, it seems CS is in considerable demand, so it is conceivable it may take longer to evaluate the ever growing avalanche of applicants.

Yeah... I guess, I'm not shocked that results aren't out, but it's kinda painful seeing so many people hearing back and hearing nothing. I suppose it's better than seeing a bunch of results and hearing nothing though. 

On 1/10/2018 at 2:25 PM, eighty8keys said:

Yeah... I guess, I'm not shocked that results aren't out, but it's kinda painful seeing so many people hearing back and hearing nothing. I suppose it's better than seeing a bunch of results and hearing nothing though. 

I think it also depends on the universities you applied to and how competitive they are. Schools like Berkeley and UW receive thousands of applications so naturally it takes time to go through all of them. Some other schools receive only a few hundred though, so are able to go through them more quickly. So far I have heard from two schools, both of which I believe only get a few hundred applicants each year.