Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

3 minutes ago, Sociology90 said:

What are everyone's thoughts about calling? I am considering calling some of the places (Brown, Columbia, Harvard, Princeton) that have started releasing decisions...

You can always call without telling them your name, so I imagine it wouldn't hurt? 

18 minutes ago, Sociology90 said:

What are everyone's thoughts about calling? I am considering calling some of the places (Brown, Columbia, Harvard, Princeton) that have started releasing decisions...

I called Berkeley and Brown and they were very pleasant. Although both grad coordinators only told me that all decisions would be released by end of a certain week and nothing more.

I called UChicago this morning since I thought it was strange that I hadn't heard anything yet. The admissions rep said my application was under "final review", whatever that means? But my point is, I don't think it can hurt you to call. They're certainly not going to decide to accept or reject you based on if you rang up admissions in mid-February.

I've been going deep into the results page, to kill some time, and now I'm somewhere at the bottom of the depression pit. Seeing the kind of people who got rejected, and their qualifications, I'm afraid I have no chance to get anywhere. I feel it's my last chance and I'm almost ready to go into a convent or something. Can't stand this expectation. 

11 minutes ago, AnnaGG said:

I've been going deep into the results page, to kill some time, and now I'm somewhere at the bottom of the depression pit. Seeing the kind of people who got rejected, and their qualifications, I'm afraid I have no chance to get anywhere. I feel it's my last chance and I'm almost ready to go into a convent or something. Can't stand this expectation. 

Don't do that to yourself! I've spent the better part of a decade on the grad school grind. I went from a near-undergrad-flunky to being competitive for Ivy PhDs. I've been in some really dark spots, so I know the struggle better than almost anyone, but never give up. Start climbing. (And wait until admissions season is over before your start torturing yourself)

17 hours ago, proctorvt said:

Don't give up! I went all the way to Toronto (not far, but I'm American) to my dream program only to be denied admission to the PhD after I finished the MA (there was only 1 slot available to international students... thanks a lot, Ontario government...) The fact that I was far-and-away the best in my MA cohort made it that much harder to take when I wasn't admitted to the PhD program. Hell, I had mentored some of the PhD students when I was only an MA, so it was devastating to say the least! But I never gave up. The admissions process is so arbitrary. Keep climbing -- you'll get there. 

This is the craziest example I’ve heard yet. You literally did what I was prepared to do at my top school (take the MA to “prove” I deserve the slot) but I deferred for a year to try networking behind the scenes and taking doctoral courses for a taste of the goods. If I don’t get in anywhere, I will have to debate taking on another 50k in loans to pursue the MA, which will be my second, but if I have to pay to play, I guess in the grand scheme it’s worth it? Our experiences thus far who tell me no, it’s no guarantee, don’t take on more debt for what amounts to a totally random outcome. 

5 hours ago, Socioeconnut said:

This is the craziest example I’ve heard yet. You literally did what I was prepared to do at my top school (take the MA to “prove” I deserve the slot) but I deferred for a year to try networking behind the scenes and taking doctoral courses for a taste of the goods. If I don’t get in anywhere, I will have to debate taking on another 50k in loans to pursue the MA, which will be my second, but if I have to pay to play, I guess in the grand scheme it’s worth it? Our experiences thus far who tell me no, it’s no guarantee, don’t take on more debt for what amounts to a totally random outcome. 

This is somewhat off topic, but not entirely... as someone who spent nearly a decade climbing that ladder I can tell you that my most useful periods were those when I wasn't in a grad program, at all. It's risky to spend too much time unaffiliated with a department, but if you use your time wisely, this can really set you apart from other applicants. 

Why? Because grad school (both MA and PhD) happens at a break-neck pace. Often, you're simply trying to keep your head above water. This is great for your long-term development and professionalization, but it often prevents you from reading broadly and systematically. In hindsight, the years I spent reading dusty books in coffee shops are what sets me apart from others who have only an undergraduate or MA degree. This time off can also provide space to publish and/or present at conferences, which are both exceedingly difficult to do when you're crushed with coursework.

Of course, there are downsides to this strategy. Being out of academia can be terribly alienating (And it was) and getting jobs to support yourself in the interim can be soul- and body-crushing (And they were). But I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. Never give up.

3 minutes ago, Sociology90 said:

I called Harvard. They said by March 15th...

Holy cow! If I have to wait that long for my 2 universities to notify, I'll just die.

3 minutes ago, AnnaGG said:

Holy cow! If I have to wait that long for my 2 universities to notify, I'll just die.

The date they give is nearly always when final rejections go out. Admissions will come earlier. Thanks to the Results page, you'll know if you're in that pool or not.... 

11 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

The date they give is nearly always when final rejections go out. Admissions will come earlier. Thanks to the Results page, you'll know if you're in that pool or not.... 

14 minutes ago, AnnaGG said:

But it seems some schools send several waves of admissions... So it is hard to know when the last wave will go out before they send out rejections.

52 minutes ago, Law&Soc88 said:

I wonder what is happening with NYU

There is still another hour or so left in the work day, but it seems the notifications will not come out today, either. I was quite reasonable with my anxiety levels, but we're 2-5 days past previous years going back to 2013 or so.... this is the latest they've ever notified. 

No two ways about it -- this process sucks you into a dark chasm of anxiety, no matter how much you try to resist that impulse.

On 2/12/2018 at 1:50 PM, coffeentv said:

I'm assuming a rejection from Columbia. Congratulations to those who got accepted! So far I've only gotten accepted, but waitlisted for funding at Albany. I haven't heard back from NYU, Temple, UPenn, Uconn, and Princeton. It sucks when the choice of schools you can apply to is limited. I can't relocate :/ Is everyone planning on moving close to the school you'll be attending?

Considering the schools that I applied to are all over the U.S., I plan to move close to whichever school I will be attending. One of them won't be as much as a move as the others because it's in my home state and only about an hour and 30 min from where I live, but the rest will be one heck of an adventure. If it's any consolation for you, even though your choice of schools appears limited, the NYC and Tri-State area is a hub for opportunities and visiting professors. If anything, the researchers from the other schools you couldn't apply to might visit your school or at least stop by in the area. I hope you get to hear some positive news from the rest of your schools!

On 2/12/2018 at 3:18 PM, iwearflowers said:

I never thought I'd be glad to be single at 30, but it makes this process a lot easier. When I told my boss where I was applying (6 schools in 6 states in . . . 5 regions?) she laughed and teased, "Are you sure you're not limiting yourself too much geographically?"

I did something similar! When I registered for the GRE and had to check where I was applying I think I checked every region of the U.S. except for Hawaii and Alaska. I guess this is one positive of being single. 

On 2/12/2018 at 3:50 PM, abenz said:

holy s--- I got waitlisted at Emory!

OMG YES!!!!! Congrats!! I'm so happy for you @abenz! I hope you get off the waitlist soon!

2 hours ago, HydrangeaJ said:

Does anyone know what's going on with Yale? The decisions are usually out by now. 

Yale is the only school from my list that I haven't heard anything from. I didn't even see any results posted. I wonder when we'll hear from them. 

31 minutes ago, cam_soc said:

Has anyone heard anything from Brandeis? I know there were two acceptances last week but my application still just says "submitted"

I have not heard from Brandeis yet.  I've also not heard from: Boston College, Boston University, UMass Boston, and Northeastern.  All of them still say "submitted" or "under review," etc.  I also saw the two Brandeis acceptances last week--I'm not sure what to make of them.  Regarding Boston College, one person on 1/31 said they were accepted but that's abnormally early for them--I'm not sure if some people put up false results.  I guess Northeastern "recruitment week" was over this past weekend, but again, I'm not sure what to make of it--maybe they are having another recruitment week again?  Who knows.  It appears that each university has their own schemes and timelines to release notifications--and just going by what happened in previous years is not the best indicator of when notifications will come out this year.  It's frustrating, and I'm getting a bit bored.

1 hour ago, MintChocoChip said:

Considering the schools that I applied to are all over the U.S., I plan to move close to whichever school I will be attending. One of them won't be as much as a move as the others because it's in my home state and only about an hour and 30 min from where I live, but the rest will be one heck of an adventure. If it's any consolation for you, even though your choice of schools appears limited, the NYC and Tri-State area is a hub for opportunities and visiting professors. If anything, the researchers from the other schools you couldn't apply to might visit your school or at least stop by in the area. I hope you get to hear some positive news from the rest of your schools!

I did something similar! When I registered for the GRE and had to check where I was applying I think I checked every region of the U.S. except for Hawaii and Alaska. I guess this is one positive of being single. 

OMG YES!!!!! Congrats!! I'm so happy for you @abenz! I hope you get off the waitlist soon!

Yale is the only school from my list that I haven't heard anything from. I didn't even see any results posted. I wonder when we'll hear from them. 

Me too. Fingers crossed decisions will be released soon. Would like to know one way or the other. 

1 hour ago, Want_PHD said:

I have not heard from Brandeis yet.  I've also not heard from: Boston College, Boston University, UMass Boston, and Northeastern.  All of them still say "submitted" or "under review," etc.  I also saw the two Brandeis acceptances last week--I'm not sure what to make of them.  Regarding Boston College, one person on 1/31 said they were accepted but that's abnormally early for them--I'm not sure if some people put up false results.  I guess Northeastern "recruitment week" was over this past weekend, but again, I'm not sure what to make of it--maybe they are having another recruitment week again?  Who knows.  It appears that each university has their own schemes and timelines to release notifications--and just going by what happened in previous years is not the best indicator of when notifications will come out this year.  It's frustrating, and I'm getting a bit bored.

I called Northeastern today and they said no decisions have been made yet and don't be made until they meet next week. They said results should be out the last week of February, if not before. I have no idea what to make of the open house. It's really frustrating that Brandeis is not being more transparent. 

2 hours ago, Want_PHD said:

Can confirm that Boston College acceptance is legit. It did feel crazy early, but nonetheless happened

Updating folks since I’ve been gone for what feels like forever - still no word for me from Penn State or Utah. Hoping that I’ll advance off the Oregon waitlist but I’m excited about the prospect of NCSU because Tom Shriver offered to be my advisor, and he’s one of the greats in EJ, so that’s just really really exciting. 

Currently in North Carolina collecting thesis data - good vibes appreciated!