Skype Interview Tips, Do's and Don'ts?

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody had tips or suggestions for online (Skype) interviews.

I plan to brush up on my applications and the department/school, wear a formal shirt, be open about my research interests. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Assorted tips:

- Choose a computer and location that you have used to conduct Skype calls in the past. Do a trial run if you have not yet used that particular computer or location. 
- Choose a private place with a good wifi or ethernet connection. I usually book a classroom or a meeting room. If you're at home, try to do it at your desk or a place with a plain background (i.e. not with your kitchen or bedroom in the background if possible).
- Dress as if you were going in for a in-person interview. Try to avoid colours or patterns that don't show up well on video though (e.g. stripes)
- Look into your webcam, not at your screen. 
- Ensure there's enough distance and that the angle between you and the webcam is good. You don't want their screen to just be your head but you don't want to be so far away either. Probably a good idea to test your arrangement with a friend first.

Going along with the plain background, make sure the room you're in is clean. Remove anything odd from the background (I have a mask collection in my interview room and take one off the wall that shows up in the shot for interviews). 

Check your lighting. If the only light is behind you, your face will not show up well. Don't depend on daylight and do not face with your screen facing a window.

Keep a water cup nearby to make sure you don't get parched and make sure your seat is comfortable (while allowing for good posture) for at least an hour at a time. 

I want to stress the bit about booking a private room in advance. I had a Skype interview during my work day once, and had to go downstairs to the cafeteria. Mid-interview I was interrupted by people shuffling around tables for a dance practice. I had to get up and hurriedly find a different place to continue the rest of the conversation, which was no good.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had my first Skype interview and the best tip I can give is to pause after the question is asked in order to collect your thoughts before jumping into your answer. This seems obvious, and I had PLANNED on doing this, but in the moment I was so eager to answer that I would jump right in with an answer without taking a moment to strategize. Also, I think that taking a moment or two before answering shows that you care about giving the best response possible. Looking back, I wouldn't have changed any of my answers, necessarily, but I would have structured some of my answers differently.  

I suppose this advice applies to all types of interviews, not just Skype interviews. Good luck!!