Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

competitiveness gpa gre requirements experience profile application

• Please log in to reply
503 replies to this topic

#501 AllanR

AllanR

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Application Season:2013 Spring

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

Note: I'm not sure how to edit my previous post, and I wanted to add some more information.

Programs Considering: HKS, WWS, Georgetown, Columbia, GW, Chicago, LBJ

Undergraduate Institution: Midwest private school. A top Catholic institution

Undergraduate Major:  History, Education. Minor in Political Science

Undergraduate GPA: 3.7

Study Abroad: 2 months in South Africa

GRE: Verbal: 162 Quant: 162

Work Experience:  

Currently finishing up a Fulbright grant in Southeast Asia (1 year grant)

Worked for Burmese Refugee Project for 6 months

Languages: Thai (conversational)

LORs: Should be really strong. One from a political science professor and the other from a history professor of mine

Coursework:  Micro and Macro economics. Received A's in both classes. Comparative politics, International Politics, and Statistics.

I want to focus on IR and policy development. I'd love to potentially work a FSO or even for the World Bank.

Concerns: My main concern is my work experience. I graduated in 2013 and have been working internationally since I graduated, but I'm not sure if it is enough to be competitive at the top schools or not. 

#502 matt123

matt123

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Application Season:2013 Spring

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:45 PM

Schools: University of Toronto (MPP), Simon Fraser U (MPP), LSE (MPA), Sciences Po (MPA), Hertie School of Governance (MPP)

Career goals: Public service/TBC

Institution: Decent Canadian university

Major: Political Science

GPA: Converted to 4.0 scale, about a 3.6

GRE score: N/A - not planning to apply to any American schools or schools that require it

Work experience: Almost two years in various roles within the Canadian federal government, work with a Member of Parliament

Language skills: Decent French

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): Worked abroad for several months in Turkey

Statement of Purpose: WIP - not too worried

Letters of Recommendation: Still to confirm, but two from profs and one or two (depending on requirement from school) from former supervisors

Concern: My grades and and that my academic letter of recommendations won't be anything special

Thanks

#503 MJA87

MJA87

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTallahassee, FL
  • Application Season:2015 Fall
  • Program:MPP/MPA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

Schools: UW Evans (MPA), USC Price (MPP), UTexas LBJ (MPA or MGPS), UChicago Harris (MPP), CMU Heinz (MSPPM), Cornell CIPA(MPA), Hertie School of Governance (MPP), IHEID (Development Studies)

Career goals: National or global NGOs focusing on energy/environment

Institution: Okay state school

Major: Political Science

GPA: 3.3 cumulative (poor grades highschool dual enrollement program). 3.41 at undergrad institution and 3.58 in last 60 hours

GRE score: Working on that now. Assuming somethinig like 160v/153q

Work experience: ~1 year as legislative aide in State House of Representatives of a large state. 3.5+ years in State Energy Office managing energy grants at first, doing policy analysis and program admin. for last 2 years. Also, currently a Natural Resource Leadership Institute fellow (program run by respected university)

Coursework:  Took Micro and Macro economics this summer and received A's in both. I have a B in college stastics from years and years ago (I don't know if AdComs would still count it). Also have several IR classes from undergrad (that was my minor).

Language skills: Basically just English (took French in highschool and 1 class in undergrad)

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): n/a

Statement of Purpose: WIP - not too worried

Letters of Recommendation: One from prof. and two from current office (both executive director and direct supervisor, both will be above average)

Concerns: I know my GPA isn't stellar and I don't know how good the letter of recommendation my professor wrote will be because I haven't talked to him in 4+ years. I'm hoping my experience will carry me; just want to get into a decent program :(

Edited by MJA87, 09 September 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#504 Wozezeka

Wozezeka

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Application Season:Not Applicable

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:59 PM

Programs Considering:  Indiana SPEA (MSES and MPP), Ford (MPP), UT LBJ (MPaff), UC Berkeley (MPP)

Career Goals: Work for the Gov or a NGO. My dream job, working on the Farm Bill, Ag and Environmental Policy, or working to green a city.

Undergraduate Institution: Texas Public Uni

Undergraduate Major:  Animal Science, Minor: Education

Undergraduate GPA: 3.8

Study Abroad: Peace Corps Zambia (2 Years)

GRE: No Official Test. But Practice puts me at Q;155 and V:160, I'm focusing on the Quant

Work Experience:  

Peace Corps

Currently teaching High School Ag

Languages: Chewa - Very useful in Zambia, not so useful in America = ) But I am working on my Spanish.

LORs: Work in Progress. My profs love me and we are still in touch, I've got a good LOR from Peace Corps that I need them to tailor a tiny bit for school

Coursework:  6 Hours Agriculture Economics, American Government, American Public Policy, College Statistics

Concerns: The GRE. I can understand the mathematical concepts, but I will invert the numbers (67 becomes 76) or 3x3 but I calculate 3+3. So I have to be extra careful on the test and triple check my work. Also, finding a safety school. Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users