The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

Hey, all. I've been thinking about applying to grad school for a while now in search of an MA in International Relations/Affairs. Now that I've been washed out of the Foreign Service selection process, I want to take this goal more seriously. I need some help selecting schools, but any information you can offer is much appreciated. Here are my stats. I can give more info as needed.

Applying For: MIA/MIR

Schools Considering Applying To: Carnegie Mellon, Johns Hopkins SAIS, LUISS, Georgetown MSFS, suggestions?

Undergraduate Institution: Temple University Honors Program

Undergraduate Majors: English, Italian

Undergraduate GPA: 3.8, cum laude

GRE score: V: 167 (97%) Q: 153 (52%) W: 4.5 (80%)

Years out of undergrad: 2 going on 3

Years of Relevant Work Experience: 2-3. I started teaching Italian during college and tutored for the Italian Club. After graduation I moved to Italy where I lived for a little over a year teaching English as a foreign language, publishing essays, and translating. Upon returning to the states, I continued my translation work in a position with Google Ads. I currently work for a non-profit teaching classes for underserved students, but I think it would be a stretch to call that relevant outside of the leadership/administration experience. I also work as the (unpaid) International Fiction Reviews Editor for a local literary magazine and have placed my writing in several different publications. Might be working as an Americorps VISTA this year to get some experience doing communications work in a public service environment. Made it to the second round of the officer selection process for the Foreign Service this year, but washed out. That is my long term goal.

Language skills: CILS Certified Level C2 Italian Language Fluency with 10+ years of study, can speak and read basic to intermediate German, studying Spanish now.

Quantitative requirements: Took only one math class in college but I have been studying recently in my free time. Would like to take more in grad school.

Statement of Purpose:

Haven’t started. Still not sure which schools I want to apply to and would like to tailor my statements to the specific programs. I am very confident in this portion of the application because I have been publishing regularly as a freelancer for two years now and have taught classes on writing college application essays.

Strength of LOR: My options: Director of the non-profit I work for, owner of the TEFL school where I taught, an Italian professor of mine who interviewed me for an opening in her department at my alma mater, an English professor of mine who hooked me up with the magazine where I’m an editor, the director of the Honors dept at my alma mater. Who should I ask?

What can I do to make my application as strong as possible before applying?

Schools: UT LBJ (MPAff), UW Evans (MPA), USC Price (MPA), UChicago Harris (MPP), UC Berkeley (MPP), Princeton WWS (MPA)

Note: UC Berkeley and Princeton are definitely my reach schools - I just want to see if I could get in!

Career goals: Nonprofit and arts and cultural policy. I'm interested in nonprofit consulting, arts management, and also working for institutions such as the NEA and UNESCO.

Institution: Top ranking private liberal arts university in Texas and the West.

Major: Art History

GPA: 3.2-3.3 cumulative (My grades do reflect the missed classes and general ill-feeling from an undiagnosed and untreated autoimmune disease throughout college. Since then I've found successful treatments and have been in remission for years). Despite this, I was able to maintain my scholarship and serve as an officer in several on-campus organizations promoting social justice and equality. I was also a research assistant to the Chair of the Art and Art History Department for 3 years.

Years out of undergrad: 4 years.

GRE score: I've taken it twice so far. My first scores were 156Q, 157V, 5W. This last time I got 150Q, 162V, and awaiting my writing score. Of course when my verbal score improved, I got my lowest quant score ever. I guess that's just how it goes sometimes. Do any schools accept multiple score reports?

Work experience: 3 years at a well-known Latino arts nonprofit, 2 of which as Assistant Director. I handled pretty much every aspect of the organization resulting in considerable improvements both in programming and budget. I'm currently a Board Member. 3 years in local government at a Latino cultural center, 2 of which as an administrative assistant. I handle all of the center's administration including payroll, Advisory Board duties, manage/supervise temp staff, etc. This nexus of local government and art/culture is also an avenue I'd like to explore in and out of grad school.

Volunteer experience: I help out where I can. I've volunteered a great amount of time to my nonprofit, and I volunteer at my church as much as possible. I've signed up to volunteer at a local women's center and a latino healthcare nonprofit, but in the last year or so they haven't needed much help. I also curate art exhibitions outside of work, but I'm not sure that necessarily counts as volunteering despite not getting paid.

Coursework:  Outside of my major, I took microeconomics my first semester of college (received a C... not something I'd like to highlight), business statistics, a basic accounting course, a US diplomacy course, and a good amount of hours in random courses like Middle Eastern history, anthropology, and chemistry. I wish I had taken more relevant courses, but so it goes.

Language skills: Spanish - proficient in conversational speaking, very good in writing (I've written a published article in Spanish for work).

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): N/A besides recreational travel throughout Spain, Italy, London, Paris, and soon Mexico City.

Statement of Purpose: WIP. I'm having several alums review it.

Letters of Recommendation: One from former advisor who I was a research assistant for, one from the Executive Director of the nonprofit, and one from my supervisor at the cultural center.

Concerns: My GPA is definitely worrisome, and I'm pretty much over the GRE. I don't want to take it again, but I may have to. Any feedback is very much welcome at this point! Looking through this forum I feel as though I don't have the most competitive application, but I feel like my experience and interests are fairly unique.

Schools: UW Evans (MPA), USC Price (MPP), UTexas LBJ (MPA or MGPS), UChicago Harris (MPP), CMU Heinz (MSPPM), Cornell CIPA(MPA), Hertie School of Governance (MPP), IHEID (Development Studies)

Career goals: National or global NGOs focusing on energy/environment

Institution: Okay state school

Major: Political Science

GPA: 3.3 cumulative (poor grades highschool dual enrollement program). 3.41 at undergrad institution and 3.58 in last 60 hours

GRE score: Working on that now. Assuming somethinig like 160v/153q

Work experience: ~1 year as legislative aide in State House of Representatives of a large state. 3.5+ years in State Energy Office managing energy grants at first, doing policy analysis and program admin. for last 2 years. Also, currently a Natural Resource Leadership Institute fellow (program run by respected university)

Coursework:  Took Micro and Macro economics this summer and received A's in both. I have a B in college stastics from years and years ago (I don't know if AdComs would still count it). Also have several IR classes from undergrad (that was my minor).

Language skills: Basically just English (took French in highschool and 1 class in undergrad)

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): n/a

Statement of Purpose: WIP - not too worried

Letters of Recommendation: One from prof. and two from current office (both executive director and direct supervisor, both will be above average)

Concerns: I know my GPA isn't stellar and I don't know how good the letter of recommendation my professor wrote will be because I haven't talked to him in 4+ years. I'm hoping my experience will carry me; just want to get into a decent program :(

It looks like we'll be applying to some of the same programs! Which ones are your top choices at this point? In terms of your GPA, I think you'll be fine. I met with one of UT LBJ's admissions staff, and she said they really only care if your GPA from the last two years of undergrad is at least a 3.4. Mine definitely isn't, but I'm debating whether or not I should include something about my health as supplemental material. Your experience is also really great, so I don't think GPA should be a concern of yours.

I'm also getting an old professor from 4+ years ago to write me a rec letter. If you're geographically close enough to suggest a lunch or coffee date with yours, that could be a good avenue to catch up and explain your passion and interest in policy in person.

Schools: American SIS MA International Relatons, George Mason MA Global Affairs, New School MA International Relations, NYU MS Global Affairs

Should I even shoot for GWU Elliot MA IR?

Career goals: Government or Foreign Policy Organizations

Institution: Decent University in the United States

Major: BS Economics

GPA: 3.32

GRE score: In Progress

Work experience: 3 years working part-time at a non-partisan lobby based in New York pushing issues for an Eastern European country. 2 years working in Finance/Banking, I am switching Careers completely now to IR

Language skills: Serbo-Croatian, Advanced in French, Working on Turkish

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): None, Plenty of Travel to Balkans/Turkey- 3 x Annual visits

Statement of Purpose: Completed

Letters of Recommendation: One from former Boss, Two from University Professors

Concern: Not very competitive in comparison to many here academically either.

Thanks

Edited by Future_Diplomat

Schools: UCSD IR/PS MPIA, SAIS, Korbel, Yonsei (APSIA member; in case I want to keep my life in Korea going), Texas A&M (Bush School), token Ivy, open to suggestions (including schools abroad)!

Career Goals: Private sector analyst or working in a think tank (different paths, still sorting out what I'd like to pursue). I know I'd like to focus on the Pacific if at all possible.

Undergraduate Institution: Well-regarded state school

GPA: 3.48 (3.60 last 2 semesters)

Majors: International Relations (graduated with honors; had to write an undergrad thesis)

Poli Sci Coursework:  Micro, Macro, US Foreign Policy, Theories of IR, Asia in the Global Setting, Thesis on leadership transition in North Korea

Quant: Took up to Calculus in high school. In undergrad, just took micro and macro (received Bs in both).

GRE Score: 166V, 161Q. Projecting 4.5-5.0 on the writing (just took it yesterday).

Work Experience: 2.5 years abroad, teaching English in Korea.

Language Skills: Korean (intermediate), Chinese (was intermediate, very rusty. With some work could get it back up there.)

Overseas Experience (work, study, and teaching): I’ve traveled to Japan, Taiwan, and the Philippines, as well as lived in Korea and China (study abroad; Shanghai).

Statement of Purpose: Going to start this in the coming days.

Letters of Recommendation: Thesis supervisor, another professor, and a sure-to-be glowing letter from my supervisor at work.

Concern: My so-so GPA is going to do me in.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Guvut

It looks like we'll be applying to some of the same programs! Which ones are your top choices at this point? In terms of your GPA, I think you'll be fine. I met with one of UT LBJ's admissions staff, and she said they really only care if your GPA from the last two years of undergrad is at least a 3.4. Mine definitely isn't, but I'm debating whether or not I should include something about my health as supplemental material. Your experience is also really great, so I don't think GPA should be a concern of yours.

I'm also getting an old professor from 4+ years ago to write me a rec letter. If you're geographically close enough to suggest a lunch or coffee date with yours, that could be a good avenue to catch up and explain your passion and interest in policy in person.

Cool, it's nice to see someone with a similar profile! My top choices are probably Chicago Harris and Duke Sanford (I replaced Cornell with Duke), though I really really wanted to apply to Berkley. I just didn't think I'd have a chance and talked myself out of applying :(

I'm starting to worry less about my GPA and more about my GRE, which I am totally not feeling confident about with only 3 weeks left to study. Anyways, best of luck to you this cycle. I'll definitely be checking in to see how you do.

@Guvut, I have to say that your credentials are overall really strong and really impressive. Your GPA is pretty good, and not so-so at all; when they look at your transcript, they'll be focused on how you did in those micro/macro, IR courses, so as long as it was good in those, you're absolutely fine. But even if your GPA didn't look great, they would look next to your GRE scores to make sure that you know your stuff, and your GRE scores are really good. If you're curious about more of the stats, I'd check out the cohort stats on different program websites in order to figure out where you are relative to them. With such a good profile, I'd advise you to do some hard thinking and soul searching to make sure you can knock your SOP out of the park. Definitely know your story, and know how to tell it. Good luck!

Hi all, I'd really like some feedback on my application profile - specifically, whether I should apply to more selective programs than I'm currently considering. Ideally I'd like to study overseas, but would consider a North American program with a good funding package.

Schools: Hertie (MPP), Erfurt (MPP), considering York (MPIA), might reach for WWS (MPA) or LSE (MPA)
Career goal: Policy analysis at the international or European level, ideally with a strong economics bent (financial regulation, economic development, macroeconomic policy, etc)

Undergrad Institution: Decent/mid-tier Canadian university
Undergrad Major: Double major in Economics and Political Science
Undergrad GPA: Converted to the 4.0 scale, either 3.95 (if the scale tops at 4.0) or 4.10 (if the scale tops at 4.3)

GRE not required for the programs I'm currently considering for certain, but I will take it if I decide to reach for WWS or LSE.

Work/Research Experience: 2.5 years, including 1 year with the Canadian federal government (fiscal policy), 8 months as a research assistant at an international affairs research centre at my university, and 8 months with my provincial government (financial regulation policy). Also taught English in France for ~6 months.

Coursework: 
Poli Sci - Blend of political economy, international, and European politics courses with good grades overall (all A- or better)
Econ - Micro/macro to the intermediate level, applied econometrics, some policy-focused classes like econ development, urban policy, public econ etc (all A or better)
Other Quant - Descriptive and inferential statistics (A and A+ respectively), calculus for social science (A+)

Languages:
French - Advanced (B2, maybe low C1); German - Lower intermediate (assessed right at the border between A2/B1); Mandarin Chinese (Basic; four years in high school)
Also studied Japanese independently for ~3 years, enough that I can read and communicate at a basic level, but might not include it as I have no documentation

Overseas Experience: 10 months studying abroad at Sciences Po (Paris campus), had a part-time job there teaching English at the same time

Statement of Purpose: Already completed and reviewed by others. I've been told it's very good.
Letters of Recommendation: One from the Director of the research centre where I worked, two from professors in the Political Science department that know me quite well

Other CV Items: One publication (dealing with the interplay between social media phenomena and economic policy in mainland China), won "Outstanding Head of State" for my negotiation performance at a national Model European Union conference in the USA (notable because the negotiations dealt with financial regulation policy), various awards and recognition for my writing skills (among them a blogging award for a post on K-12 education policy)

Concerns:
- Study abroad grades from my second semester in France are abysmal as I was dealing with/being treated for serious depression at the time, hence why I'm not applying to the MPA at Sciences Po (other schools might let bad study abroad grades slide, but certainly not the school those grades were earned at...). I have no idea how other schools will interpret this.
- My undergrad degree has lasted 6 years. 1 of those was abroad and another ~2 years were co-op work terms (no coursework), but is that a red flag?
- Funding is probably my biggest concern as I have some debt (<$25k) from undergrad and have no financial resources to draw on for grad school other than some meagre personal savings. I've applied for a DAAD stipend for Hertie or Erfurt, but am concerned my weak German skills and professional (vs. academic) program choice may disqualify me.

I've always been tremendously insecure about being "good enough" for top tier schools and I'd really like to apply to more competitive programs, but I'm hesitant, especially since I'm aiming abroad and it's really going to come down to funding for me. Any feedback would be deeply appreciated!
Edited by zadigblue

Hi all, 

Would be a great help if someone could go through my profile and suggest if my choice of School and programs make sense. 

Schools: WWS MPA, IHEID (MIA), HKS (MPP), SIAS (IR), Maxwell (Intl Relations)

Career goals: Shaping the foreign policy of India in the realm of legislative and judicial relations with other nations.

Institution: A top 5 law school in India

Major: B.A.LL.B.

GPA: 76.5% (no GPA)

GRE score:  335 [Q 168 V 167] (AWA expected 5-5.5) 

Work experience: 3 years of independent law practice in Supreme court of India dealing primarily with Constitutional Law matters, including public policy disputes. Represent several Governments and Public authorities before the Supreme Court of India.  Have advised the Government on two Public Policies (domestic). Previously worked with a Big 4 firm in international taxation and transfer pricing. 

Language skills: English, Hindi, Bengali, Functional German

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): None. Though have represented the Government in cases pertaining to illegal immigrants from neighbouring nations. 

Statement of Purpose: WIP

Letters of Recommendation: One from International Law Professor at law School, One from a Public Sector Undertaking in the capacity of a Client, and one other from a NGO to whom i render pro-bono consulting (legal and policy) services.

Concerns: Awards/Prizes/ Honors section conspicuously blank. 

Many thanks & regards! 

You are fine but HKS and WWS is always a bet, my recommendation, especially if you want scholarships is to apply to a few extra ones, Georgetown, Korbell might be good matches.

Hi all, I'd really like some feedback on my application profile - specifically, whether I should apply to more selective programs than I'm currently considering. Ideally I'd like to study overseas, but would consider a North American program with a good funding package.

Schools: Hertie (MPP), Erfurt (MPP), considering York (MPIA), might reach for WWS (MPA) or LSE (MPA)
Career goal: Policy analysis at the international or European level, ideally with a strong economics bent (financial regulation, economic development, macroeconomic policy, etc)

Undergrad Institution: Decent/mid-tier Canadian university
Undergrad Major: Double major in Economics and Political Science
Undergrad GPA: Converted to the 4.0 scale, either 3.95 (if the scale tops at 4.0) or 4.10 (if the scale tops at 4.3)

GRE not required for the programs I'm currently considering for certain, but I will take it if I decide to reach for WWS or LSE.

Work/Research Experience: 2.5 years, including 1 year with the Canadian federal government (fiscal policy), 8 months as a research assistant at an international affairs research centre at my university, and 8 months with my provincial government (financial regulation policy). Also taught English in France for ~6 months.

Coursework: 
Poli Sci - Blend of political economy, international, and European politics courses with good grades overall (all A- or better)
Econ - Micro/macro to the intermediate level, applied econometrics, some policy-focused classes like econ development, urban policy, public econ etc (all A or better)
Other Quant - Descriptive and inferential statistics (A and A+ respectively), calculus for social science (A+)

Languages:
French - Advanced (B2, maybe low C1); German - Lower intermediate (assessed right at the border between A2/B1); Mandarin Chinese (Basic; four years in high school)
Also studied Japanese independently for ~3 years, enough that I can read and communicate at a basic level, but might not include it as I have no documentation

Overseas Experience: 10 months studying abroad at Sciences Po (Paris campus), had a part-time job there teaching English at the same time

Statement of Purpose: Already completed and reviewed by others. I've been told it's very good.
Letters of Recommendation: One from the Director of the research centre where I worked, two from professors in the Political Science department that know me quite well

Other CV Items: One publication (dealing with the interplay between social media phenomena and economic policy in mainland China), won "Outstanding Head of State" for my negotiation performance at a national Model European Union conference in the USA (notable because the negotiations dealt with financial regulation policy), various awards and recognition for my writing skills (among them a blogging award for a post on K-12 education policy)

Concerns:
- Study abroad grades from my second semester in France are abysmal as I was dealing with/being treated for serious depression at the time, hence why I'm not applying to the MPA at Sciences Po (other schools might let bad study abroad grades slide, but certainly not the school those grades were earned at...). I have no idea how other schools will interpret this.
- My undergrad degree has lasted 6 years. 1 of those was abroad and another ~2 years were co-op work terms (no coursework), but is that a red flag?
- Funding is probably my biggest concern as I have some debt (<$25k) from undergrad and have no financial resources to draw on for grad school other than some meagre personal savings. I've applied for a DAAD stipend for Hertie or Erfurt, but am concerned my weak German skills and professional (vs. academic) program choice may disqualify me.

I've always been tremendously insecure about being "good enough" for top tier schools and I'd really like to apply to more competitive programs, but I'm hesitant, especially since I'm aiming abroad and it's really going to come down to funding for me. Any feedback would be deeply appreciated!

You are for LSE all they care about is GPA. WWS is a bet, apply and who knows you might be lucky. Georgetown and Columbia would be better odds in the US. Also, for England with your GPA I think you can apply to Oxford for MPA. Do notice that the UK programs are a lot more academic and less practical.

Hello Everyone,

Really need some help? A little bit about the background first because that is making my choice a little complex. I completed my engineering in the year 2006 from quite a decent college in India. Worked two and a half years in the software industry (in a reputed out sourcing firm) though always wanted to move towards the development sector. So, took a call and have been working in the development sector in rural India for the past 5.5 years (and plan to continue till I move out for higher studies)

Target Schools:  Elliot School of International Affairs, Boston University: Global Development Policy, Cornell University Graduate School, The Earth Institute Columbia University: MS in Sustainable Management, Sanford-Duke Center for International Development, UC Berkeley 's Master of Development Practice, Princeton: Widrow Wilson School, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy

Career Goals: Working with the government to shape more inclusive policies for the rural poor.

Undergraduate Institution: National Institute of Technology (NIT)

GPA: Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) of 6.82 out of 10. It is a first class in India but is an average score by any standards.  

Majors: Electrical Engineering

GRE Score: 163V, 163Q.  AWA-4.5

TOEFL: 108

Work Experience: 

I work in an organization called PRADAN which works through field teams in rural India, primarily in the Central Indian belt. We work primarily with India’s indigenous people (Adhivasis) and I right now based in one of the field teams. The below have been my areas of work in the last five years:

a. Mobilizing marginalized (and extremely poor rural communities) communities around Self Help Group for saving and credit. Working with the community around working of schemes and programs at the decentralized level viz. Gram Sabhas (village governance), NREGA (rural employment guarantee act), PDS (Public Distribution System: subsidized ration and all) etc

b. Sustainable agriculture in poverty pockets. We are currently working with more than 4000 families in 150 villages in one of the most interior pockets in India on scientific agricultural practices. I have been quite active in reviving indigenous paddy seeds in the area along with promoting organic farming through System of Root Intensification (SRI) method with the communities.

c. Watershed approach to irrigation infrastructure in poverty pockets. I have done the Integrated Natural Resource (INRM) planning in several villages with the community along with its implementation.

d. I am also the anchor of the Gender Equality Project under UN Women of my team. (Eight of the fifty PRADAN field level teams are currently involved in the project)  

I have worked extensively in the Meo Muslim Community in Alwar, Rajasthan on social mobilization through SHGs and livelihood enhancement through watershed programme. Currently I am working with the Adhivasi Gond tribes and PVTG Baiga on aspects of social mobilization through SHG, governance, gender, water shed management and sustainable agriculture in one of the poorest pockets in the country.

I have also written a couple of articles on tribes and sustainable farming.

Language Skills: English, Hindi, Assamese, Nepali, Working Bengali

Letters of Recommendation:  I left college long back. I wrote to a professor sometime back but yet to hear from him. I don’t think he remembers me now. I was a “time-pass” student (as they were called in my college back then) but will squeeze in an average LOR from him. Good LORs from workplace.

Concern: My below average CPI or GPA and my engineering background. Will my experience of working in the field with communities offset the GPA factor?  Scholarships?

You are fine but HKS and WWS is always a bet, my recommendation, especially if you want scholarships is to apply to a few extra ones, Georgetown, Korbell might be good matches.

Hey thanks a ton for your thoughts. I am also applying to IHEID Geneva, Syracuse and Yale (Jackson) 

Schools: HKS MPP, WWS MPP, Chicago Harris MPP, Georgetown MSFS, Korbel MA IS, Duke Sanford MPP, Maxwell MAIR/MPA, Michigan Ford MPP, Fletcher (either MALD or MIB),

Career goals: Work in political risk analysis and intelligence after grad school and work as a policy advisor eventually. 

Institution: Top 5 Universities in Bangladesh

Major: Eng Lit (but lots of econ courses as I wanted to do a dual major)

GPA: 3.2 cumulative (worked full-time during university and most semesters are 3.5-4 but a few 2.75-3.0)

GRE score: Working on that 

Work experience: Total 13 years. 2 years part-time when finishing high-school teaching English and History, 4 years of university working in advertising and marketing. 2 years after finishing university in CSR consulting and PR  handling MNCs as clients. Last 6 years in international development working for INGO. Would have lived abroad for almost 5 years by the time I start school, with 7 years of international work related to public communications, mobilization and policy advocacy. I used to write a lot of op-eds, so have been published nationally and internationally, with the BBC quoting one of my articles last year.

Coursework: Took intro and intermediate courses in micro and macro econ and applied maths in uni. Grades between A to B-. 

Language skills: English (non-native speaker but only language I've ever studied in), Bengali, Hindi, Urdu, basic Thai

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): 7 years in international development. Last 4 years living and working in S.E Asia (I'm Bangladeshi), covering Australia, Asia and Middle-East. Have also done some work, remotely, on Sub-Africa. 

Statement of Purpose: Working on it. 

Extra Essays: Such a long list! Struggling to keep track.

Letters of Recommendation: Two professors (one of them is a lecturer because he never finished his Phd. will use one or the other), one ex-boss (number 2 at INGO) and current boss. Work recommendations should be great (as expected for someone who prioritized work over studies, always). 

Concerns: GPA is quite awful really. Haven't done any applied math in over 10 years, so though I'm studying for the GRE, I'm not very confident. Schools assured me that they take a holistic approach to admission and funding decision, but this is a major area of concern for me, especially for WWS, Harris, Duke and HKS where they seem to really need you to have good quant.

Schools (Tentative): HKS, WWS, NYU (Wagner), Indiana, Georgetown, AU, GWU, UT (LBJ), Chicago (Harris), Columbia (SIPA), Maryland, George Mason, Penn (Fels), Virginia, William & Mary

The list above is primarily just programs that interest me for one reason or another; I won't be applying to that many.

Career goals: Applying the law to policy analysis & formation to enact social justice reform at a governmental level.

Institution: University of Chicago

Major: Public Policy

GPA: 3.44

Years out of undergrad: 3 years

GRE score: 166 V, 161 Q, 4.5 AW

Work experience: 2 years in legal administration for a county court; volunteer experience; campaign experience

Coursework:  Intermediate Calculus, no Stat or Econ (hindsight is 20/20)

Language skills: Spanish (Proficient)

Statement of Purpose: WIP, but I'm not worried that I'll be able to write something compelling that reveals my passion for social justice and investigative nature.

Letters of Recommendation: Having trouble deciding who to ask; for the most part, I'm worried that, although I did well in classes, being 2+ years removed from school and not having had extensive relationships with any handful of professors will make this area of my application weaker than others.

Concerns: Lack of a resume full of exciting job experience; Unknown LOR quality; I need significant financial help as well from all the debt I racked up in undergrad, so aid is a major factor.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to assess the situation and determine the best course of action.

Schools (Tentative): HKS, WWS, NYU (Wagner), Indiana, Georgetown, AU, GWU, UT (LBJ), Chicago (Harris), Columbia (SIPA), Maryland, George Mason, Penn (Fels), Virginia, William & Mary

The list above is primarily just programs that interest me for one reason or another; I won't be applying to that many.

Career goals: Applying the law to policy analysis & formation to enact social justice reform at a governmental level.

Institution: University of Chicago

Major: Public Policy

GPA: 3.44

Years out of undergrad: 3 years

GRE score: 166 V, 161 Q, 4.5 AW

Work experience: 2 years in legal administration for a county court; volunteer experience; campaign experience

Coursework:  Intermediate Calculus, no Stat or Econ (hindsight is 20/20)

Statement of Purpose: WIP, but I'm not worried that I'll be able to write something compelling that reveals my passion for social justice and investigative nature.

Letters of Recommendation: Having trouble deciding who to ask; for the most part, I'm worried that, although I did well in classes, being 2+ years removed from school and not having had extensive relationships with any handful of professors will make this area of my application weaker than others.

Concerns: Lack of a resume full of exciting job experience; Unknown LOR quality; I need significant financial help as well from all the debt I racked up in undergrad, so aid is a major factor.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to assess the situation and determine the best course of action.

First thought off the top of my head is to start those quantitative classes. Either statistics or microeconomics (or even better, both) this fall will be a good idea. Chances are, you'll have to complete them before you begin school anyway, and it will be a big plus for schools to see that you're in the process of doing those courses.

I think the most influential factors on funding are work experience and GRE scores. You're fine in the second area, and I'm sure the first is quite applicable to why you want to do public policy and what you want to achieve in the future. Make sure to weave that into your SOP very thoroughly. I think you're likely to get better funding from private schools than public ones, but that's a very general assessment. I got generous packages from both of my private university choices.

Finally, regarding LORs, make sure you have a good one from work. About professors from undergrad, don't sweat it. I've heard from quite a few that they regularly get requests from people they barely even remember in class, 5-6 years ago. As long as you had a good relationship with that professor during the class you took, and you believe he/she liked you, that's a good basis to request a letter. If you'd rather not chance it with multiple recs, just ask one, and get two professional recommendations -- maybe from someone you volunteer with as well as work with. It's not the best situation to be in, but you can't really do much about it at this point. Worry about the SOP and spinning a good story. Overall, I'd say you're in a decent spot. =)

Programs Considering: NYU Wagner, Wisconsin La Follette and ???? I am looking for a management, domestic policy focused. PLEASE MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS!

Undergraduate Institution: "Public Ivy" in the Midwest

Undergraduate Major:  Economics 

Undergraduate GPA: 2.75 Overall, 4.0 Economics 

Study Abroad: Seoul National University in South Korea + 3 Month UN Internship Abroad after graduation

GRE: Verbal: 161 Quant: 166 AWA: 5.0

Work Experience:  

6 Months Legislative Researcher in State Leg

1 Year Democratic Campaign Experience in Analytics

6 Months Admin Assistant at left leaning think tank in DC

Languages: My parents immigrated to US from an Eastern European country (I was born here) and I am fluent in another language. 

LORs: Econ Dept Chair from undergrad, Professor I studied abroad with (big shot in policy world), VP of think tank I work for. PS - Those two profs already wrote my LORs for the UN internship

Coursework:  Stats, Calc, Lots of Econ, Finance, Public Finance

Concerns:  SUB 3.0 GPA! No extracurriculars in college, no academic awards, no "extras" besides volunteer work, no publications, limited research experience

Thanks for reading and helping! Looking forward to being active on this board!

Programs Considering: Harris (Top choice), LaFollette, Ford, Berkeley, Humphrey, and NIU. Looking at Harris' MSCAPP as first choice.

Undergraduate Institution: Regional Public University in the Midwest

Undergraduate Major:  Political Science, Public Administration, and Sociology

GPA:
My GPA: 3.7 

For my Majors it's: 3.9 for Political Science and 3.8 for Sociology.
GRE score:
I've only taken the GRE once and here are my scores:

Q: 163

V: 156

AW: 5

The first question I have to anybody that might respond is should I take the GRE again in order to boost my verbal score a little bit? I know that it's a bit lackluster for some of the programs I'm looking to apply to. 

Work experience:
This is my biggest concern as a undergraduate attempting to go straight to an MPP/MPA program from undergrad. I have some work experience that might be viewed as professional but I need some opinion on whether or not admissions at these schools will consider it.

I have 3 years as the Legislative Issues Director for my Student Government: Largely a position equivalent to a Legislative Liaison, I talk with legislators on policy issues and inform the Student Senate about current policy going through the legislature.

I am also interning with my District Representative on the campaign side. 

I've been both a teaching assistant and the research assistant for the Sociology department at my school.

Finally, I am a chair of a budget committee for the University that deals with about $1 Million each year and handles budgets and capital projects associated with that funding. 

Quantitative requirements:
I have basic level statistics, intro macro economics, public budgeting, and a research methods class in both Sociology and Political Science/Public Administration at my school.

LORs:

Nothing I am too concerned about, I have a good deal of professors I can look to for LORs plus the Congressman I am interning with if all goes well. Also some other elected officials I have a great work relationship with as well. 

Concerns:

My chief concern is the piece on professional work experience, something that I will evidently lack if I want to get into a program right after my undergraduate.

Further, my verbal GRE score seems a bit lackluster for a top ten program but that might be me being too pessimistic. 

A final but a lesser concern is my undergraduate institution, since I don't come from a flagship state university or high caliber private school, does that impact the decision making process at all? 

Thanks to anyone in advance.

Programs Considering: Harris (Top choice), LaFollette, Ford, Berkeley, Humphrey, and NIU. Looking at Harris' MSCAPP as first choice.

Undergraduate Institution: Regional Public University in the Midwest

Undergraduate Major:  Political Science, Public Administration, and Sociology

GPA:

My GPA: 3.7 

For my Majors it's: 3.9 for Political Science and 3.8 for Sociology.

GRE score:

I've only taken the GRE once and here are my scores:

Q: 163

V: 156

AW: 5

The first question I have to anybody that might respond is should I take the GRE again in order to boost my verbal score a little bit? I know that it's a bit lackluster for some of the programs I'm looking to apply to. 

Work experience:

This is my biggest concern as a undergraduate attempting to go straight to an MPP/MPA program from undergrad. I have some work experience that might be viewed as professional but I need some opinion on whether or not admissions at these schools will consider it.

I have 3 years as the Legislative Issues Director for my Student Government: Largely a position equivalent to a Legislative Liaison, I talk with legislators on policy issues and inform the Student Senate about current policy going through the legislature.

I am also interning with my District Representative on the campaign side. 

I've been both a teaching assistant and the research assistant for the Sociology department at my school.

Finally, I am a chair of a budget committee for the University that deals with about $1 Million each year and handles budgets and capital projects associated with that funding. 

I have basic level statistics, intro macro economics, public budgeting, and a research methods class in both Sociology and Political Science/Public Administration at my school.

LORs:

Nothing I am too concerned about, I have a good deal of professors I can look to for LORs plus the Congressman I am interning with if all goes well. Also some other elected officials I have a great work relationship with as well. 

Concerns:

My chief concern is the piece on professional work experience, something that I will evidently lack if I want to get into a program right after my undergraduate.

Further, my verbal GRE score seems a bit lackluster for a top ten program but that might be me being too pessimistic. 

A final but a lesser concern is my undergraduate institution, since I don't come from a flagship state university or high caliber private school, does that impact the decision making process at all? 

Thanks to anyone in advance.

I don't have much to say about what your chances are as I'm a first time applicant myself, however your measurables look very good. I would caution you about getting a LOR from an elected official unless you worked directly with them for a good amount of time, otherwise the chance that you'll get a form letter is pretty high. It's my understanding that a more sincere/descriptive letter that shows a true understanding of your work from a lesser position is much better than a generic letter from a big name (like an elected official).

Edited by MJA87

Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Georgetown, NYU, Johns Hopkins, GW Elliot, American, University of Denver, Cal-Berkeley, Syracuse 

Career goals: Hope to be an FSO

Institution: Top 25 US State school 

Major: Poli Sci/ Minor Spanish

GPA: 3.6 (3.79 Major)

Years out of undergrad:  2.5 years

GRE score: 167 V, 155 Q, 5.5 AW (will take again to try to up quant)

Work experience: At the time of application, 2.5 years as a program analyst for large cabinet level agency. 

Letters of Recommendation: Current high-level FSO who taught at undergrad institution, tenured professor and director of my half-year long study abroad program in Spain, tenured professor, current Executive Director and current supervisor 

Concerns: 

1. Low-quant GRE.

2. Work experience not directly related to international relations/global affairs. I interned senior year and was hired straight out of undergrad to stay with program as an analyst. have extracurriculars e.g., joined foreign policy related professional organizations, tutored LEP but afraid its not strong enough. 

3. LOR: believe I have one strong rec from current FSO that was faculty at undergrad, unsure how strong other recommendations will appear to a selection committee 

Am I in over my head with the big-name institutions? 

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Schools: Looking to concentrate in international development related programs offered at: JHU-SAIS MA, SIPA MIA, UCSD IRPS MPIA (I welcome additional suggestions)

Undergraduate institution: top 60 small liberal arts college

Major: East Asian Studies

GPA: 3.0 (3.5 major)

GRE: 161 verbal; 150 quant; 5.0 writing (am retaking to boost math score)

Years out of undergrad: Will have 3 years out of undergrad work experience by matriculation

Work experience: diverse, have lived in China for 3 years since finishing undergrad. Taught for two years at a university on a fellowship program while also serving as a research assistant to a partly Chinese govt funded think tank the first year, and a foreign affairs think tank (headquarted in DC, a well-known org) the second year. Currently work as a project manager for a microfinance advisory NGO. In these experiences, I've conducted research and managed projects pertaining to a range of pressing development issues (urbanization, environmental advocacy, climate change, and recently financial inclusion and women's empowerment).

Language skills: Mandarin Chinese (professional proficiency), Spanish (professional proficiency), Japanese (advanced proficiency)

Quantitative skills: Not much in the way of classroom experience, only took Econ 101 in college. However, have plenty of "real-world" quantitative experience, designing and managing budgets for projects, some light microfinance consulting, etc.

LOR: Not really a concern (and also out of the control of any applicant, really). I have two previous supervisors and a former thesis advisor who are all happy to write these.

SOP: If there's anything I can do well, I'd like to think it's writing. I'm confident I can write a solid SOP for each program.

Concerns:

Frankly, in reviewing the posts of others on this thread, I don't find myself to be numerically up to par with other applicants (i.e. GPA woes). I also do not have much of a formal economics background, which most IR programs favor. This all makes me lose hope a little bit. With all of that said, however, I believe my work experience is quite dynamic, and I've worked in fields of increasing relevance to development professionals. I also recently have gained a lot of "field" experience in managing a particular project, and am developing the skills necessary for a career in development (grant writing, m&e, budget design, project management).  I'd like to identify a few other schools to apply to, but at the same time, I don't want to be stuck writing a dozen distinct applications while also managing my professional life. I also believe grad school is only worth it if you go to the right school in the right place. DC and NY offer obvious professional benefits given their locations, and are proximate to the kinds of organizations I'd like to work for. San Diego is less so, but their curriculum directs particular focus to the Asia-Pacific region, an area where I have both interest and extensive professional and linguistic experience. It helps that UCSD is cheaper and closer to home as well.

So. Am I dreaming here? I would be floored if I could get into SAIS. It is precisely their economics focus that I need to progress in my career. I've had friends and colleagues attend their IDEV program as well, and it sounds like a great program. Does anyone know though why IDEV feels distinctly more competitive than the other concentrations at SAIS?

Thanks!

Schools (haven't yet applied, beginning with my top program): WWS, Sanford, LSE, Hertie School, Georgetown, American, U of M - TC, LBJ

Career goals: Join the foreign service or work for an international development organization

Undergrad: Small liberal arts college

Major: Political Science, German

Minor: English Writing

GPA: 3.46

Years out of undergrad: will be 3 years oce I matriculate to a program in Fall 2015

GRE scores: 164 V, 161 Q, 5.0 W

Work experience: 1 year teaching English in South Korea. 1 year conducting research in International Law on a Fulbright scholarship (which helped me ultimately decide not to pursue a law degree); I also taught English part-time as part of my research grant agreement. Now in my third year out of school and in addition to extending my teaching contract from last year at a public high school abroad, I am doing three internships: one at a US embassy (finished), one as a remote research intern at a well-known military affairs research center (winter 14-15), and one at a freedom of press institute (spring 15). During college, I also worked in the finance department of an amusement park in the summertime as a junior accountant.

Coursework: Calculus, Microecon, Principles of Econ, Intermediate Econ, Accounting... grades were not good. Ranging from D+ to B+. While on my fellowship, I did get As in an Intro to Quant Methods in Social Sciences and another social science research design class.

Language skills: German (C2), Korean (A1)

Statement of Purpose: I have loads of stories to tell, but so far my narrative seems detatched from my goals in applying for policy analysis programs.    

Letters of Recommendation: I'm strategizing based on the programs which letters of rec go where. So far I have one reference from an internship and three professors. Two of the professors knew my work well in my senior year and one wrote me a letter of rec already for my Fulbright. One was a professor I had in my quant courses while on my Fellowship.    

Concerns:

-Dat GPA. LSE says they recommend a minimum of 3.5 and after looking at the top program stats, this seems standard.

-Relevant experience? I've got a lot going on. On paper, I don't think my choices have made a lot of sense. 

-I am retaking the GRE, with the hopes that I can just get myself into the next percentile just to help a little, but who knows, right?

Basically, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Any other suggestions for programs I should look at? I've already nixed JHU, GW, GMU, UMich, Harris, Georgia Tech, SIPA, Korbel for a variety of reasons.

Programs:
Kennedy (MPP), Fletcher (MALD), SAIS (MA), Georgetown (SFS), Berkeley Goldman (MPP), SIPA (MIA or MPA) -- in order of choice

GPA:
3.5 from a less known small private college

GRE score:
155 (v), 156 (q), 4 (awl) 

Work experience:
3 years of work experience

experience abroad: .5 year UN internship in China

consulting experience: 1 yr

World Bank: 2 yrs

Language skills:
Chinese English Japanese

Very minimal.  Statistis.  Professional experience did not involve much quant work 

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching):
Grew up in developing countries 

Work experience/summer course abroad

Statement of Purpose & LoR:
working on this

Area of Concern:

GRE!!! Is this acceptable?

Lack of quant experience 

I do think I have a good story to present for the SoP which aligns with my upbringing and professional experience.  Is it still difficult to overlook the low GRE score, lack of quant experience, and coming from a not-so-prestigious under grad institution? 

Thank you for your feedback in advance! 

Area of Concern:

GRE!!! Is this acceptable?

Lack of quant experience 

I do think I have a good story to present for the SoP which aligns with my upbringing and professional experience.  Is it still difficult to overlook the low GRE score, lack of quant experience, and coming from a not-so-prestigious under grad institution? 

Thank you for your feedback in advance! 

Hi Fall2015. I am a current student at SAIS and I wanted to give you some background on how they handle the admissions process since I just went through it earlier this year.

Quick question first - Are you an international student? (I ask because I see that you have a lot of foreign experience and grew up in developing countries. Although you might just be an American who moved around a lot...) If you are an international student, GRE scores are not required (although highly encouraged) for non-U.S. applicants if they apply directly through the SAIS Europe campus. Scores are required, however, if you apply through the DC campus or are a U.S. citizen. (I'm not a U.S.-citizen and when I asked about this, Admissions told me that standardized testing doesn't paint them a complete picture of a student -- and even more so in the case of international students who have no experience with these types of tests. For this reason, they require doing personal interviews of international students who apply to SAIS Bologna instead).

In the case that you are a U.S. citizen, or you only wish to apply to the DC campus, here are somethings to think about:

While your scores do fall a little under the typical SAIS average, I have to admit that my GRE scores were not amazing either and I got into every school to which I applied (SIPA, MSFS, SAIS). I did have a really high GPA, but I feel that we tend to put too much emphasis on the GRE and fail to realize that our personal narratives, work experience, and letters of rec probably matter more than our standardized scores (obviously, if you can retake the GREs and boost your scores it can make you more competitive). Your background and experience definitely fit in with the SAIS profile and I think that if you work really hard and produce an amazing SoP to go along with very strong letters of rec, you shouldn't have any problem with admissions. 

As for the lack of quant experience - there are a lot of people at SAIS who don't have much of a background in quant either (this wasn't the case for me because I studied econ during undergrad). In any case, SAIS is known for GIVING you the quant background, not necessarily demanding it of you upon arrival. To help people catch up, they offer pre-term, math review classes, pre-calc and calculus modules, etc. All of these things are extremely helpful, even for those who have a quant background but haven't worked heavily with numbers since graduation (like me, haha). Those who have also have the option to place out of all these classes.

And don't worry about not coming in from an Ivy League or a "not-so-prestigious" university... I didn't either, like I mentioned before, I got into every school to which I applied.

Hope this helps and best of luck on your applications!

Reposting with GRE scores (just took it today). Feedback appreciated. 

Schools: HKS MPP, WWS MPP, Chicago Harris MPP, Georgetown MSFS, Korbel MA IS, Duke Sanford MPP, Maxwell MAIR/MPA, Michigan Ford MPP, Fletcher 

Career goals: Work in political risk analysis and intelligence after grad school and work as a foreign policy advisor in my home country, eventually. 

Institution: Top 5 Universities in Bangladesh

Major: Eng Lit (but lots of econ courses as I wanted to do a dual major)

GPA: 3.2 cumulative (worked full-time during university and most semesters are 3.5-4 but a few 2.75-3.0)

GRE score: 148 Quant 162 Verbal

Work experience: Total 13 years. 2 years part-time when finishing high-school teaching English and History, 4 years of university working in advertising and marketing. 2 years after finishing university in CSR consulting and PR  handling MNCs as clients. Last 6 years in international development working for INGO. Would have lived abroad for almost 5 years by the time I start school, with 7 years of international work related to public communications, mobilization and policy advocacy. I used to write a lot of op-eds, so have been published nationally and internationally, with the BBC quoting one of my articles last year.

Coursework: Took intro and intermediate courses in micro and macro econ and applied maths in uni. Grades between A to B-. 

Language skills: English (non-native speaker but only language I've ever studied in), Bengali, Hindi, Urdu, basic Thai

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): 7 years in international development by next fall. Have worked with Asian and African countries on social campaigning. Last 4 years living and working in S.E Asia (I'm Bangladeshi), covering Australia, Asia and Middle-East. 

Statement of Purpose: Working on it. 

Extra Essays: Such a long list! Struggling to keep track.

Letters of Recommendation: Two professors (one of them is a lecturer because he never finished his Phd. will use one or the other), one ex-boss (number 2 at INGO) and current boss. Work recommendations should be great (as expected for someone who prioritized work over studies, always). 

Concerns: GPA is quite awful really. Haven't done any applied math in over 10 years. GRE quant score is pretty low at 148. Schools assured me that they take a holistic approach to admission and funding decision, but this is a major area of concern for me, especially for WWS, Harris, Duke and HKS where they seem to really need you to have good quant.

Reposting:

Hello Everyone,

Really need some help? A little bit about the background first because that is making my choice a little complex. I completed my engineering in the year 2006 from quite a decent college in India. Worked two and a half years in the software industry (in a reputed out sourcing firm) though always wanted to move towards the development sector. So, took a call and have been working in the development sector in rural India for the past 5.5 years (and plan to continue till I move out for higher studies)

Target Schools:  Elliot School of International Affairs, Boston University: Global Development Policy, Cornell University Graduate School, The Earth Institute Columbia University: MS in Sustainable Management, Sanford-Duke Center for International Development, UC Berkeley 's Master of Development Practice, Princeton: Widrow Wilson School, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy

Career Goals: Working with the government to shape more inclusive policies for the rural poor.

Undergraduate Institution: National Institute of Technology (NIT)

GPA: Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) of 6.82 out of 10. It is a first class in India but is an average score by any standards.  

Majors: Electrical Engineering

GRE Score: 163V, 163Q.  AWA-4.5

TOEFL: 108

Work Experience: 

I work in an organization called PRADAN which works through field teams in rural India, primarily in the Central Indian belt. We work primarily with India’s indigenous people (Adhivasis) and I right now based in one of the field teams. The below have been my areas of work in the last five years:

a. Mobilizing marginalized (and extremely poor rural communities) communities around Self Help Group for saving and credit (micro finance). Working with the community around working of schemes and programs at the decentralized level viz. Gram Sabhas (village governance), NREGA (rural employment guarantee act), PDS (Public Distribution System: subsidized ration and all) etc

b. Sustainable agriculture in poverty pockets. We are currently working with more than 4000 families in 150 villages in one of the most interior pockets in India on scientific agricultural practices. I have been quite active in reviving indigenous paddy seeds in the area along with promoting organic farming through System of Root Intensification (SRI) method with the communities.

c. Watershed approach to irrigation infrastructure in poverty pockets. I have done the Integrated Natural Resource (INRM) planning in several villages with the community along with its implementation.

d. I am also the anchor of the Gender Equality Project under UN Women of my team. (Eight of the fifty PRADAN field level teams are currently involved in the project)  

I have worked extensively in the Meo Muslim Community in Alwar, Rajasthan on social mobilization through SHGs and livelihood enhancement through watershed programme. Currently I am working with the Adhivasi Gond tribes and PVTG Baiga on aspects of social mobilization through SHG, governance, gender, water shed management and sustainable agriculture in one of the poorest pockets in the country.

I have also written a couple of articles on tribes and sustainable farming.

Language Skills: English, Hindi, Assamese, Nepali, Working Bengali

Letters of Recommendation:  One academic recommendation. Good LORs from workplace.

Concern: My below average CPI or GPA and my engineering background. Will my experience of working in the field with communities offset the GPA factor?  Scholarships?