The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

Hi all, 

I have just applied to 2 policy programs and I was wondering about the odds of getting through. I would much appreciate if you can give me feedbackon my profile. (Thinking of applying to Fletcher and Ford (No scholarship))

GRE score: 160 Verbal 160 Quant

Concerns: I am really concerned about my Quant score and I was wondering the kind of weight-age 'Google' carries from admissions perspective. Please help!   

Much appreciate the help!

I would suggest you still apply to Ford if you really want to. Though as a public university they don't grant many scholarships, taking a TA means that you are eligible for tuition remission. I talked to a friend who graduated from there last year, and she confirmed that it's possible to get TA positions such that you get almost all of your tuition remitted, in addition to being paid. It can be pretty generous, so don't rule it out as a choice before you even apply.

160 is a pretty good quant score. Just check the average GRE scores of admitted cohorts through the Admissions page at different schools. I bet you'll see you're in the middle to upper part of the pack. Combined with your engineering degree, the Admissions folks will not doubt your quantitative skills!

Hi there! I'm looking to apply for Graduate school next year. I'm not sure how competitive it is so I wanted to see what you guys think about my chances I am really hoping to get into a top IR school.

My list: JHU SAIS, Georgetown SFS, American SIS, GWU Elliot, Tufts Fletcher, UCSD IR/PS, UM Ford School, Yale Jackson

GPA: 3.78 from a Top 100 private university where I majored in Poli Sci

GRE Score: Q: 149 V: 159 A: still waiting to receive score

Work experience:
5 years of work experience with internships at international development non-profits and IR think tank. Spent 2 years in the Peace Corps.

International Experience:
Study abroad in China (semester), study abroad in the Philippines (semester), international internship in India, 2 years with Peace Corps in Indonesia

Language Experience:
Intermediate Mandarin Chinese (4 years of study in college)
Strong Working Proficiency in Indonesian

Quant. Background:
Originally majored in Finance before switching to Poli Sci thus I took Macro, Micro, Accounting 1 and a couple Finance classes. Hopefully this makes up for a low Quantitative GRE score!

Other:
Hundreds of hours of volunteer experience with a commitment to community service and social justice.
Wrote an Honors Senior Thesis during my undergraduate years. Well received paper by faculty of my department!
Strong Letters of Rec & Statement of Purpose

*** The main thing I am worried about in my application is my lower / below average GRE scores. I studied a lot for them, but just not the best test taker in the standardized ETS format.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first post here. I know these "what are my chances/am i competitive" threads can get annoying but I think it is useful to connect with others and hear peoples advice, since I am new to this.

Edited by freewayK

I would suggest you still apply to Ford if you really want to. Though as a public university they don't grant many scholarships, taking a TA means that you are eligible for tuition remission. I talked to a friend who graduated from there last year, and she confirmed that it's possible to get TA positions such that you get almost all of your tuition remitted, in addition to being paid. It can be pretty generous, so don't rule it out as a choice before you even apply.

160 is a pretty good quant score. Just check the average GRE scores of admitted cohorts through the Admissions page at different schools. I bet you'll see you're in the middle to upper part of the pack. Combined with your engineering degree, the Admissions folks will not doubt your quantitative skills!

Cheesecake : I really appreciate you taking the time to comment! I value your comment :-) I did apply to Ford (Though my transcripts are yet to reach them ).Also, as I fret, over analyse and drive my self crazy your comment on my Quant score has given me a bit of "Peace" :-) Thank you again!

Hi guys!

First time poster. I want to apply to an MPP program, and I have no idea if I'm competitive. I just took the GRE, and I scored a 161 V and a 152 Q, with a 5 in the writing. I had a 3.67 in undergrad from a well-respected state school, and I studied Political Science and did undergrad research, etc. I am working on the Affordable Care Act campaign now, as a community liaison, and it requires a good bit of data analysis and policy work. I'm less than two years out of undergrad.  I definitely want to go to a school that's worthwhile and prestigious. Should I retake the GRE? I know my Quant needs work. 

Thanks for the help!

Hi guys!

First time poster. I want to apply to an MPP program, and I have no idea if I'm competitive. I just took the GRE, and I scored a 161 V and a 152 Q, with a 5 in the writing. I had a 3.67 in undergrad from a well-respected state school, and I studied Political Science and did undergrad research, etc. I am working on the Affordable Care Act campaign now, as a community liaison, and it requires a good bit of data analysis and policy work. I'm less than two years out of undergrad.  I definitely want to go to a school that's worthwhile and prestigious. Should I retake the GRE? I know my Quant needs work. 

Thanks for the help!

I think your profile looks strong and it is a bit like students at the LBJ school of public affairs (UT Austin), which is a good school. However, if you want to go to a top of the line Ivy League schools, you may need to improve your quant. score. Just my two cents! Good luck!

So I'm going crazy playing the waiting game for responses, so I'd thought I'd post here to see what everyone thinks my chances are. Especially for receiving funding.

Program: MPP

Schools being considered: GWU, Maryland, GMU, American

Major: International Development w/ a Poli Sci minor

GPA: 3.71 ( slightly higher in major)

GRE score: 166V, 155Q, 4.0 AW

Undergraduate school: Small Christian liberal arts school.

Years since undergrad: Less than 1 (Spring 2014 graduation)

Work experience:  Summer in undergrad working on public health projects in India. Summer working for City of Seattle on a federally funded welfare program (technically I was an Americorps Member). Standard Congressional internship. Started working at a refugee resettlement agency full time a few months after graduation.

Coursework: Stats (A), Research methods (A), Lots of micro, macro, and development economics (all A's).

Language skills: Basic Hindi, Intermediate Spanish

Statement of Purpose: Nothing special, but very focused on a specific policy area that I want to pursue.

Letters of Recommendation: Undergraduate advisor/professor who was the head of my program, Adjunct professor who is very accomplished in his field, District Director for Congressman I interned for. 

Concerns: One of my letters was two weeks late to Maryland and GWU for reasons outside my control. The schools didn't seem to be overly concerned, but I still don't like how it looks. Also my ability to compete for funding having relatively little work experience.

Edited by goebelb

So I'm going crazy playing the waiting game for responses, so I'd thought I'd post here to see what everyone thinks my chances are. Especially for receiving funding.

Program: MPP

Schools being considered: GWU, Maryland, GMU, American

Major: International Development w/ a Poli Sci minor

GPA: 3.71 ( slightly higher in major)

GRE score: 166V, 155Q, 4.0 AW

Undergraduate school: Small Christian liberal arts school.

Years since undergrad: Less than 1 (Spring 2014 graduation)

Work experience:  Summer in undergrad working on public health projects in India. Summer working for City of Seattle on a federally funded welfare program (technically I was an Americorps Member). Standard Congressional internship. Started working at a refugee resettlement agency full time a few months after graduation.

Coursework: Stats (A), Research methods (A), Lots of micro, macro, and development economics (all A's).

Language skills: Basic Hindi, Intermediate Spanish

Statement of Purpose: Nothing special, but very focused on a specific policy area that I want to pursue.

Letters of Recommendation: Undergraduate advisor/professor who was the head of my program, Adjunct professor who is very accomplished in his field, District Director for Congressman I interned for. 

Concerns: One of my letters was two weeks late to Maryland and GWU for reasons outside my control. The schools didn't seem to be overly concerned, but I still don't like how it looks. Also my ability to compete for funding having relatively little work experience.

I have spoken to quite a few people on admission committees.  As long as you got all your items in on time, you should be fine.  I would make sure to notify programs that you are working on getting the recommender to submit the letter.  They are aware of how flaky/over scheduled academics can be, they shouldn't punish you for someone else's responsibility.

Funding is for a Master program can be tricky, I don't hear of many people getting full funding unless through their employer.  There are scholarships that can help ease the pain of expenses that your will probably qualify for.  You should be able to compete for a student worker position on a research projects and paid internships. 

Edited by WhatAmIDoingNow

Hey there!

Although I have applied but not very sure of getting through this year. Below is my profile. Would love to hear your comments. Looking at HKS, WWS, Georgetown (I know!)

GPA really low: 2.4 (Bachelors in Mathematics) - University of Delhi, did a one year academic fellowship program - 3.4/4 (Its not a degree program. So don't know how much will the academic performance count here)

Years of Work ex - Three and a half (Worked in a think tank for 6 months. Worked with an NGO in an urban slum to set up digital learning centers for 8 months, Worked with a state government for two years - one year in rural areas and the second in the office of the Additional Chief Secretary) 

Recos: Pretty good

GRE: 329 - Quant 165, Verbal 164

TOEFL: 109

No international experience. I am really concerned about by bad academic scores though I have good leadership experience at all levels. 

Please advise! Thanks :)

Program: MA/MSc/Phil (Social Policy/Human Rights-related)

Schools being considered: Oxford (MSc/MPhil Comparative Social Policy), Columbia (MA Human Rights Studies, considering SIPA next year if apps unsuccessful), LSE (Social Policy & Planning), other Canadian inst.

Undergrad Institution: top-tier Canadian school

Major: Joint Honours Political Science/Canadian Studies

GPA: 3.78 (3.85 for last 2 years)

GRE score: none (not needed for programs applying to)

Years since undergrad: graduating this term

Work experience:  1 year as full-time elected executive of university student union representing >20,000 people (ample policy advocacy/writing experience at University & student union level); volunteer: 2 other years as unpaid elected student representative, 1 summer internship with federal political party, 2 years on executive of an undergraduate journal, 1.5 years on exec of political party campus group

Coursework: one intro-level microeconomics course (A), one mandatory empirical research course for Honours Poli Sci (B+), one econ-related international relations course (A-)

Language skills: some French

Statement of Purpose: focusing on policy advocacy area of interest, linking academic interest in area with policy advocacy skills from work experience

Letters of Recommendation: director of one of my Major programs, director of program in a related field at Uni I took transfer courses at, non-academic Dean (student advocate; professional colleague)

Concerns: minimal quantitative/econ-related coursework, minimal off-campus internships/experience, no paid research experience (just Honours thesis & independent study course). Considering taking a year off to get more research/work experience.

Edited by interdisciplinaryangst

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, gonna give this another go in hopes of getting a response this time :D

I'm considering applying for graduate school either for fall of 2015. I've taken a look at a few IR programs, but I'm really not sure what my chances are for any of them. I'm currently leaning towards an MA in International Affairs/Politics. I graduated in 2009 with a double major in political science and French. As far as relevant work experience goes I think could only truly count on my time as a visa officer at the French Consulate in Boston back in the summer of 2010, so my main concern is that I may not have enough work experience. Given my profile, what types of programs would I be competitive for and what would I need to do to improve my chances at more highly regarded institutions?

Undergraduate institution: Large public school
Undergraduate GPA: 3.49
Undergraduate Majors: Political Science, French
Study Abroad: semester in France

GRE Quantitative Score: 152 (49%)
GRE Verbal Score: 165 (96%)
GRE AW Score: 4.0 (54%)

Took it about a month ago (for the second time since 2009)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 5
Years of Work Experience:

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): Studied in a French university for 5 months in 2007 and taught English in a French high school from October 2013-April 2014

Describe Relevant Work Experience:

I'm just going to list everything since graduating since I'm not sure how relevant certain jobs I've had would be:

-Sales Associate at Lowe's from January 2009 to May 2010

-Poli Sci tutor at my university during the summer of 2009

-Visa Officer at French Consulate in Boston during the summer of 2010

-Volunteered for US Senate campaign during the fall of 2012

-Academic intern at local non-profit for about six months in 2013

-Languague assistant in French high school from October 2013 to April 2014

-Sales consultant at currency exchange business from March 2011 to September 2013, then from June 2014 to present

Languages: Spanish [native], French [advanced/almost native level], German [beginner, started learning earlier this year]

Poli Sci Coursework:  micro, macro, IR, American politics, comparative politics, politics of the EU, political theory, US foreign policy, Cold War politics, politics and the media, and obviously many French courses

Quant: Precalculus in UG, micro and macroeconomics. Took AP Stats way back in high school (so I'm familiar with it) but don't have college credit since I didn't take the exam.

Strength of SOP: It seems that my lack of relevant work experience may make things difficult for me here.

Strength of LOR: Pretty much any of my French professors would be very good; I'd have a tougher time with my poli sci professors since it's been a few years and I haven't really kept in touch. I could likely also get a good LOR from one of the teachers I worked with while in France.

That's everything for me. I'm not too sure about my competitiveness despite having a recent MA grad friend urging me to consider getting my master's. He recommended I try applying somewhere in DC due to the networking possibilities there but I'm certainly open to other places (Boston, NYC, etc.).
So what are my chances? Should I try applying as I am?

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone, gonna give this another go in hopes of getting a response this time :D

I'm considering applying for graduate school either for fall of 2015. I've taken a look at a few IR programs, but I'm really not sure what my chances are for any of them. I'm currently leaning towards an MA in International Affairs/Politics. I graduated in 2009 with a double major in political science and French. As far as relevant work experience goes I think could only truly count on my time as a visa officer at the French Consulate in Boston back in the summer of 2010, so my main concern is that I may not have enough work experience. Given my profile, what types of programs would I be competitive for and what would I need to do to improve my chances at more highly regarded institutions?

Undergraduate institution: Large public school

Undergraduate GPA: 3.49

Undergraduate Majors: Political Science, French

Study Abroad: semester in France

GRE Quantitative Score: 152 (49%)

GRE Verbal Score: 165 (96%)

GRE AW Score: 4.0 (54%)

Took it about a month ago (for the second time since 2009)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 5

Years of Work Experience:

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): Studied in a French university for 5 months in 2007 and taught English in a French high school from October 2013-April 2014

Describe Relevant Work Experience:

I'm just going to list everything since graduating since I'm not sure how relevant certain jobs I've had would be:

-Sales Associate at Lowe's from January 2009 to May 2010

-Poli Sci tutor at my university during the summer of 2009

-Visa Officer at French Consulate in Boston during the summer of 2010

-Volunteered for US Senate campaign during the fall of 2012

-Academic intern at local non-profit for about six months in 2013

-Languague assistant in French high school from October 2013 to April 2014

-Sales consultant at currency exchange business from March 2011 to September 2013, then from June 2014 to present

Languages: Spanish [native], French [advanced/almost native level], German [beginner, started learning earlier this year]

Poli Sci Coursework:  micro, macro, IR, American politics, comparative politics, politics of the EU, political theory, US foreign policy, Cold War politics, politics and the media, and obviously many French courses

Quant: Precalculus in UG, micro and macroeconomics. Took AP Stats way back in high school (so I'm familiar with it) but don't have college credit since I didn't take the exam.

Strength of SOP: It seems that my lack of relevant work experience may make things difficult for me here.

Strength of LOR: Pretty much any of my French professors would be very good; I'd have a tougher time with my poli sci professors since it's been a few years and I haven't really kept in touch. I could likely also get a good LOR from one of the teachers I worked with while in France.

That's everything for me. I'm not too sure about my competitiveness despite having a recent MA grad friend urging me to consider getting my master's. He recommended I try applying somewhere in DC due to the networking possibilities there but I'm certainly open to other places (Boston, NYC, etc.).

So what are my chances? Should I try applying as I am?

Thanks in advance.

I think in this thread, a lot of people read "Strength of SOP" as "Tell us how great your SOP is going to be", and of course, everyone puts "Strong." What is much more useful and relevant is for you to summarize what your SOP will be about. What *is* your purpose in getting this graduate degree? Why do you want it? If you can articulate that and relate it to your experiences, then any work you have can be "relevant work experience". It doesn't have to be policy - you should just tell a story of how you decided you wanted to work in IR/public policy.

I think in this thread, a lot of people read "Strength of SOP" as "Tell us how great your SOP is going to be", and of course, everyone puts "Strong." What is much more useful and relevant is for you to summarize what your SOP will be about. What *is* your purpose in getting this graduate degree? Why do you want it? If you can articulate that and relate it to your experiences, then any work you have can be "relevant work experience". It doesn't have to be policy - you should just tell a story of how you decided you wanted to work in IR/public policy.

Honestly, at this point my purpose in getting this graduate degree is mainly so that with it I could have a better chance at getting a job in IR (after having applied for entry level jobs for years with no luck). Not sure what else to do at this point to advance my (non-existent) career, but I guess that's getting off topic. :unsure:

Program: MA/MSc/Phil (Social Policy/Human Rights-related)

Schools being considered: Oxford (MSc/MPhil Comparative Social Policy), Columbia (MA Human Rights Studies, considering SIPA next year if apps unsuccessful), LSE (Social Policy & Planning), other Canadian inst.

Undergrad Institution: top-tier Canadian school

Major: Joint Honours Political Science/Canadian Studies

GPA: 3.78 (3.85 for last 2 years)

GRE score: none (not needed for programs applying to)

Years since undergrad: graduating this term

Work experience:  1 year as full-time elected executive of university student union representing >20,000 people (ample policy advocacy/writing experience at University & student union level); volunteer: 2 other years as unpaid elected student representative, 1 summer internship with federal political party, 2 years on executive of an undergraduate journal, 1.5 years on exec of political party campus group

Coursework: one intro-level microeconomics course (A), one mandatory empirical research course for Honours Poli Sci (B+), one econ-related international relations course (A-)

Language skills: some French

Statement of Purpose: focusing on policy advocacy area of interest, linking academic interest in area with policy advocacy skills from work experience

Letters of Recommendation: director of one of my Major programs, director of program in a related field at Uni I took transfer courses at, non-academic Dean (student advocate; professional colleague)

Concerns: minimal quantitative/econ-related coursework, minimal off-campus internships/experience, no paid research experience (just Honours thesis & independent study course). Considering taking a year off to get more research/work experience.

Your stats are quite similar to mine. Did you apply for this cycle or are you applying next cycle?

I can only speak of LSE but from what I have seen they don't put too much emphasis on work experience so as long as you have good grades (which you do) in a relevant field you should be good. I think Oxford might be a bit more rigid and want GPAs above 3.8 but you are very close so with the right letters of rec and personal statement, you can definitely get in!!

If you did apply this cycle, did you hear back from any schools? Best of luck to you! :)

Program: International Affairs/Development specifically Project Management/Consultancy

Schools: SIPA, Fletcher, Georgetown MSFS, American SIS, GW

GPA: 3.0 (Total) 3.3 (Major)

Undergrad School: Upper-Tier Private Liberal Arts: Government+International Relations Major

GRE Score: 150 Q 155 V

Work: 2 Years Peace Corps Volunteer 

Internships: Start-up consultancy firm dealing in Pakistani/U.S business 

Languages: Moroccan Arabic--Full Working Proficiency, Spanish--Proficient

Letters of Recommendation will be strong and from relevant professionals in the IR field.

My main concern is with the GRE, If I retake the test and can hike up my scores how competitive do you think this makes my app. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed!

You are applying to really good schools and I would say that for most/all of them you have below-average scores. Given the amount of time you have before the application season, I think you should definitely retake. Your UG GPA is alright but I think you could really do a lot to help yourself by trying to get closer to 160v/155q or better. 

You are applying to really good schools and I would say that for most/all of them you have below-average scores. Given the amount of time you have before the application season, I think you should definitely retake. Your UG GPA is alright but I think you could really do a lot to help yourself by trying to get closer to 160v/155q or better. 

To add, I would also take a graduate course that fulfills a requirement from those schools (a graduate econ course or something) to show that you are ready for the rigor. 

Thanks to the both of you, first time around for me so I am thinking of the application season as a first go of it. Obviously, I want to make my application as strong as possible so getting those GRE's up is big. I've also thought about after PC going to work for a couple of years to really solidify myself. Additionally, I'll be relatively young once out of PC (25). With higher scores, in the upper 150's low 160's range how does this body of work look to you two? 

If you can get into the high 150's or low 160's then I think you could be a really competitive candidate. Any work experience beyond that certainly couldn't hurt. 

jcspc,

For now, I definitely think my main focus would be pulling up the GRE scores as much as you can. If you get the scores up, you could stand a solid shot at some of these programs, and maybe even get some funding. Similarly to you, I'm finishing up my PC service at age 25 and I decided to pursue graduate school after. I was concerned about how my application would look given my limited work experience (I did Peace Corps almost straight out of undergrad), but with strong academic/personal statements that articulated my desire to study in the programs to which I applied (policy analysis programs), I did get some great results out of my applications.

Do you have any econ/stats/calc background? If not, I definitely recommend taking a few free online courses on Coursera if you can. Even if with less than perfect internet, I've been able to take some econ classes during my Peace Corps service that I then listed on my applications to supplement my undergraduate coursework and show that I was serious about getting the quant under my belt (since I applied to quant-heavy programs).

Lemme know if you have any more questions! I think as long as you pull up the GRE scores and spend time on your apps, you've got a good shot at a solid school. :)

Aja

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone, 1st time poster here.

Schools Applying To: Columbia SIPA (MPA), Penn Fels, Cornell [CIPA], Michigan Ford, Texas LBJ (MPAff), Pitt GSPIA (MPA)
Considering Also Applying To: Chicago Harris, CMU Heinz, NYU Wagner

UG Institution: University of Southern California
Years Out of UG: 3 or 5
UG GPA: 3.5
Undergraduate Focuses: International Business (major), East Asian Area Studies (minor)

Quantitative coursework:
Calc 1: A-
Calc 2: A-
Intro Stat 1: B
Intro Stat 2: A
Stat and Prob (Math dept): A
Intermed Stat for Business: A
Intro Macroecon (Honors): A
Intro Microecon (Honors): A
Intermed Macroecon: A-
Intermed Microecon: A

Study Abroad: semester in Singapore, semester in South Korea, semester in Hong Kong

Relevant Student Activities:
A. Host for exchange students (2 semesters)
B. Host for international students in USC business case competition (1 semester)
C. Event staff at Asia/Pacific Business Outlook Conference (1 semester)
D. Member of 2 Asian cultural organizations (1 semester)

GRE (scores will expire and I will retake): 
Q: 149
V: 151
AW: 4.0

Post-Grad Work Experience:
A. Post-grad marketing internship for fruit distribution company in Jakarta (2 months)
B. Clerical/customer service position in small healthcare services company (13 months)
C. AmeriCorps VISTA position in higher ed - youth development or community economic development (12 months - currently applying)
D. [Possible] Peace Corps (1 term: 27 months - will not have if I can get a Rangel or Pickering Fellowship if applying after 1 year in AmeriCorps)

Foreign language skills:
Korean - elementary proficiency

SoP:
About my desire to become a FSO-Public Diplomacy (Cultural or Public Affairs Officer) and how I would also consider working for UNESCO afterward for its culture or information programs. I am applying for Rangel and Pickering fellowships (I am a 1st generation college grad from a low-income background)

LoR:
Will be from a combination of professors from USC/study abroad programs and professionals from AmeriCorps/Peace Corps work (getting enough letters will not be an issue when applying but I cannot assess strength for all recommenders)

If I decide to apply after 1 year of AmeriCorps, what programs do you think I could be competitive for? I do not know what my new GRE scores will be, but I always score terribly on standardized tests, regardless of preparation or tutoring. I plan to retaking the GRE after 6 months preparation and again after 6 months - 1 year more preparation if I don't have the scores to apply to a good program before I would plan to start PC.

I want to start a Foreign Service career ASAP, so I would rather start grad school in the fall in 1 year than in 3 after PC, and my goal is to get into as good of a brand name school with as little debt as possible, in case I have the chance to work for UNESCO in the future and decide to leave the FS for IGO work. I will not be going to grad school without a Rangel or Pickering Fellowship to guarantee me a FSO job after graduation because I can't justify a master's degree and the cost otherwise, for me personally.

Also, if I end up applying after PC, what programs do you think I could be competitive for with the 2 years added relevant work experience? Any input on possible funding possibilities from individual schools would useful as well.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks!
Edited by regtech5