The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

Programs & Schools: HKS (MPP); Princeton WWS (MPA); SAIS (China); Gtown (Security Studies); Tufts Fletcher (MALD); LSE (MSc); MIT (MA); Yale Jackson (MA); GWash Elliot (Security Policy Studies); Columbia SIPA (MA-Intl Sec)

Notified so far by: Tufts Fletcher (admitted)

Undergraduate Institution: non-ivy ranked around no. 30 in US news

Undergraduate Major:  PolSci+Classics

Undergraduate GPA: 3.64 overall, 3.76(PolSci)

GRE: took it twice sent both scores. VR: 162, 160 ; QR: 158, 163 ; AW 4.0, 4.0

Years of Work Experience: none, but interned at U.S. Senate and CSIS, ran a major undergrad IR journal as president for one year

Relevant Course Work: advanced IR theory(grad level), national security, foreign policy, a lot of history classes, comparative politics, intro level micro and macro econ, Calculus(AP converted, didn't take courses during undergrad), AP Stats, AP Chem...

Language: Chinese (native proficiency), Spanish (just a little bit), Latin (intermediate I guess)

SOP: talked about future career goals, in some of the longer SOPs, talked in detail about lessons learnt about public service, in other SOPs that asked about school's relevance, talked about how certain faculties' research field are helpful to me in detail

LORs:  Three stellar recs I think, 1 from thesis advisor who is well known in the IR theory field, 1 from a professor who is well known in the china field, 1 from a CSIS senior advisor and program chair.

I'm not sure about my chances for HKS, Yale Jackson or Princeton WWS, I really do not have much relevant work experience in public administration apart from my internships. My GPA I feel does not give me advantage either. Personally I am into security studies and feel I have a greater chance in those programs.

Any comment is much appreciated! Thanks!

Your undergraduate GPA is great -- I'm not sure why you think it's bad. Your GRE scores are stellar, generally above average or on-par with the programs you're applying to. You have a slight dearth of work experience (as with many applicants who apply straight out of undergrad), but don't worry, your other assets cover that up.

Overall, I'd say you have a good chance of getting accepted into most of the programs you applied to!

Hello everyone, 

I'm an Austrian law student wondering whether it is possible for me to get into a top international affairs programme in the US, namely:

Georgetown MSFS, Fletcher School MALD, John Hopkins SAIS

Undergraduate degree: 4- year Law Degree (not divided into graduate and undergraduate in Austria)
GPA: I haven't graduated yet but if everything goes as planned, I will be in among the top 5-10% of my class. I can't tell you the exact GPA though. (the Austrian grading system is a bit different) 

Languages: 

German
English
French

Work Experience and Experience abroad: 

- Studied abroad: University of Geneva, got a "Certificate in Transnational Law"
- Internship at the Austrian Permanent Mission to the UN in Geneva, Switzerland
- Internship at the Austrian Embassy in Tel Aviv, Israel
- Fall School on Foreign Policy in the Middle East, Teheran, Iran
- Assistant to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, Strasbourg/Vienna

GRE:

not taken yet

Relevant Coursework:
- Theory of IR
- countless classes in International Law
- several classes on politcal systems and comparative politics 
- took classes in macroeconomics and introduction to economics for fun (didn't get good grades) 

Other experience:

- Vice Chairman of the Academic Forum for Foreign Affairs (very active student association in the field of foreign policy)
- was Junior Ambassador to the Munich Security Conference
- was Youth Participant at several high level UN fora (i.e. the Global Forum of the Alliance of Civilizations) 
- got eleceted as member of the federal student union
- leader of a student chapter of an international NGO dealing with disarmament 

My main concern is, that my class rank and GPA won't be high enough? what do you think? 

Edited by Henson

Hello everyone, 

I'm an Austrian law student wondering whether it is possible for me to get into a top international affairs programme in the US, namely:

Georgetown MSFS, Fletcher School MALD, John Hopkins SAIS

Undergraduate degree: 4- year Law Degree (not divided into graduate and undergraduate in Austria)

GPA: I haven't graduated yet but if everything goes as planned, I will be in among the top 5-10% of my class. I can't tell you the exact GPA though. (the Austrian grading system is a bit different) 

Languages: 

German

English

French

Work Experience and Experience abroad: 

- Studied abroad: University of Geneva, got a "Certificate in Transnational Law"

- Internship at the Austrian Permanent Mission to the UN in Geneva, Switzerland

- Internship at the Austrian Embassy in Tel Aviv, Israel

- Fall School on Foreign Policy in the Middle East, Teheran, Iran

- Assistant to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, Strasbourg/Vienna

GRE:

not taken yet

Relevant Coursework:

- Theory of IR

- countless classes in International Law

- several classes on politcal systems and comparative politics 

- took classes in macroeconomics and introduction to economics for fun (didn't get good grades) 

Other experience:

- Vice Chairman of the Academic Forum for Foreign Affairs (very active student association in the field of foreign policy)

- was Junior Ambassador to the Munich Security Conference

- was Youth Participant at several high level UN fora (i.e. the Global Forum of the Alliance of Civilizations) 

- got eleceted as member of the federal student union

- leader of a student chapter of an international NGO dealing with disarmament 

My main concern is, that my class rank and GPA won't be high enough? what do you think? 

If you will be in the top 5-10% of your class, you should be fine for some of the top public policy programs. Most of those applying to these programs from U.S. schools are also in the top 5% or 10% of their classes in the U.S., so you're fine there.

What will be important for you is getting a GRE score in a good range. Somewhere in the 160s are normally great for these programs. Upper 150s are good if the rest of your application is strong. Lower 150s and below are where you start to really need to have a stellar application to make up for the scores if you want to get into a top five or top ten program. Take your GRE and see where you fall, because that will be another big determinant for you.

Schools also tend to like postgraduate work experience. If you're able, try to work a year or two after graduation. As it is now, though, you have an awesome amount of internships, which I think could help make up for you not having full-time postgrad work experience.

If you will be in the top 5-10% of your class, you should be fine for some of the top public policy programs. Most of those applying to these programs from U.S. schools are also in the top 5% or 10% of their classes in the U.S., so you're fine there.

What will be important for you is getting a GRE score in a good range. Somewhere in the 160s are normally great for these programs. Upper 150s are good if the rest of your application is strong. Lower 150s and below are where you start to really need to have a stellar application to make up for the scores if you want to get into a top five or top ten program. Take your GRE and see where you fall, because that will be another big determinant for you.

Schools also tend to like postgraduate work experience. If you're able, try to work a year or two after graduation. As it is now, though, you have an awesome amount of internships, which I think could help make up for you not having full-time postgrad work experience.

Thank you for your valuable input! As far as I am informed, foreign students don't have to submit GRE scores for Georgetown MSFS, only the TOEFL. But for John Hopkins and Fletcher it will indeed matter.

Edited by Henson

You do not need to submit GREs for SAIS Bologna either if you are a foreigner. I submittted anyways as I did well on them and helped me but they skype interview all foreign applicants instead.

I’m from Denmark and I want to apply for a MPP/MPA at SIPA, HKS, WWS, CIPA, Wagner, Goldman, LSE, Oxford next year. I have some questions to you guys regarding the application (listed below)

My profile

Undergraduate institution: A Danish univsersity
Undergraduate GPA: Top 10 % (top 5 % in Micro- and Macroeconomics)
Undergraduate Major: Political Science and Government (broad program, cover courses like: International Relations, Micro- and Macroeconomics, Law, Statistics etc.)
Study Abroad: The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Summer School, Undergraduate), LSE (Summer School, Undergraduate), Sciences Po (Exchange Program one semester, ERASMUS, Graduate – GPA: 14,5/20 – equivalent to an A-)
Work Experience: 1) Translator for a Law Firm abroad (1/2 year, fulltime) 2) Junior Consultant/Student Assistant for a big Scandinavian Consultancy (1 ½ year, part time beside my undergraduate studies) 3) Voluntary Student Assistant for a large Danish NGO (1 year, – 5 hours per week beside my undergraduate studies), 4) Founder & President of a student-driven NGO (30+ voluntary students, endorsements and support from Danish CEOs, Ministers etc.) (1 year part time, besides my undergraduate studies), 5) Intern at Ministry of Foreign Affairs (the Danish Embassy in Beijing, China) (1/2 year, fulltime) 6) Elected board member for the Academic Council at my University (1 year)
GRE: to be taken
Languages:  Danish (native), English (fluent), German (very competent/fluent – I have lived and worked in Germany for a year ), French (beginner - language classes for ½ year), Chinese (beginner – language classes for 2 months)
Publications: I have a few articles published on online magazines.

My questions:

1. This summer I finish my current internship and I want to spend a year working and gain more work experience. I’m thinking about applying for Student Positions at The Ministry of Finance (Denmark), The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Denmark), TA position at my university (teaching Public Policy/Administration) or Internships in IOs like EU/UN. What would be the best with my profile and my goals in a US/UK perspective?
  2. I don’t have a lot of fulltime work experience, simply because you can’t get a fulltime position in Denmark unless you have a Master-degree. Instead I have gained work experience beside my studies (which is common here in Denmark) and I’ll gain further work experience the next year. Do I still have a chance? I would appreciate if you would comment on my profile and chances.
  3. Should I mention in my SOP that my lack of fulltime work experience is due to the Danish “system” or should I ask one of my professors to mention this in his Letter of Recommendation?
  4. GRE scores: what should I aim for? Is it accepted that non-native applicants get a lower verbal/AWA-score?

I would really appreciate if anyone would comment on my questions. 

Edited by Dabode

I’m from Denmark and I want to apply for a MPP/MPA at SIPA, HKS, WWS, CIPA, Wagner, Goldman, LSE, Oxford next year. I have some questions to you guys regarding the application (listed below)

My profile

Undergraduate institution: A Danish univsersity

Undergraduate GPA: Top 10 % (top 5 % in Micro- and Macroeconomics)

Undergraduate Major: Political Science and Government (broad program, cover courses like: International Relations, Micro- and Macroeconomics, Law, Statistics etc.)

Study Abroad: The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Summer School, Undergraduate), LSE (Summer School, Undergraduate), Sciences Po (Exchange Program one semester, ERASMUS, Graduate – GPA: 14,5/20 – equivalent to an A-)

Work Experience: 1) Translator for a Law Firm abroad (1/2 year, fulltime) 2) Junior Consultant/Student Assistant for a big Scandinavian Consultancy (1 ½ year, part time beside my undergraduate studies) 3) Voluntary Student Assistant for a large Danish NGO (1 year, – 5 hours per week beside my undergraduate studies), 4) Founder & President of a student-driven NGO (30+ voluntary students, endorsements and support from Danish CEOs, Ministers etc.) (1 year part time, besides my undergraduate studies), 5) Intern at Ministry of Foreign Affairs (the Danish Embassy in Beijing, China) (1/2 year, fulltime) 6) Elected board member for the Academic Council at my University (1 year)

GRE: to be taken

Languages:  Danish (native), English (fluent), German (very competent/fluent – I have lived and worked in Germany for a year ), French (beginner - language classes for ½ year), Chinese (beginner – language classes for 2 months)

Publications: I have a few articles published on online magazines.

My questions:

1. This summer I finish my current internship and I want to spend a year working and gain more work experience. I’m thinking about applying for Student Positions at The Ministry of Finance (Denmark), The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Denmark), TA position at my university (teaching Public Policy/Administration) or Internships in IOs like EU/UN. What would be the best with my profile and my goals in a US/UK perspective?
  2. I don’t have a lot of fulltime work experience, simply because you can’t get a fulltime position in Denmark unless you have a Master-degree. Instead I have gained work experience beside my studies (which is common here in Denmark) and I’ll gain further work experience the next year. Do I still have a chance? I would appreciate if you would comment on my profile and chances.
  3. Should I mention in my SOP that my lack of fulltime work experience is due to the Danish “system” or should I ask one of my professors to mention this in his Letter of Recommendation?
  4. GRE scores: what should I aim for? Is it accepted that non-native applicants get a lower verbal/AWA-score?

I would really appreciate if anyone would comment on my questions. 

For your first question, you ask what experience would be good for your goals, but it all depends on what your goals are. What will help you most is what will help you craft a convincing, coherent statement of purpose. If your long-term goals are in international finance, trade, or economics, the Ministry of Finance would be best. If your long-term goal is to work at a multilateral org, shoot for the EU or UN jobs. Choose whatever will boost your case for what you will write that your long-term goals are in your statement of purpose.

I imagine most schools are well aware of the European system requiring the masters degree, but I would have your recommenders mention it just to back you up. These schools have plenty of European applicants every year, so I would be surprised if the applications committees are not familiar with the situation.

For GREs, shoot for 160s to be in a good range for the top schools. Upper 150s are acceptable, but the rest of your application needs to be especially great. You'll probably get some leeway on the verbal section because you're a non-native speaker, but I'd still try to shoot for upper 150s or 160s on verbal if I were you. Danes probably will be held to a higher standard than, say, a guy from rural Bangladesh. 

I think your application will be good, though. Hope this helps!

Years ago, I used this forum to gauge my chances of getting into an MPP program. I got into all 3 that I applied to and graduate in August 2012 from GWU's TSPPPA. Loved the school and thought it was a great program.

I am now considering a PhD because I like the research aspect of my current job. I want to get more in depth with it, and transition to a think tank or academia. To that extent, I was hoping I could get help gauging my competitiveness in a PhD program in public policy/administration.

Undergrad: 3.7 GPA, B.S.B.A. - Econmics

Grad: 3.7 GPA, MPP - State and Local Budget and Tax Policy

GRE: (old scores) 770Q, 580V (both in the 90th percentile); can't remember writing score

Work Experience:

• Research assistant with George Washington Institute of Public Policy
  • Research assistant/intern with Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
  • Research work with Pew Center on the States
  • Program Management Analyst for the National Science Foundation
  • Fiscal Analyst at Arizona Joint Legislative Budget Committee
  • Policy and Research Analyst at Arizona Association of Counties

The schools I am considering are: ASU (I live in Phoenix, so could get in state and keep my job/benefits); UC-Denver; American U; Georgetown; GWU; UI-Chicago; UMD - College Park; NYU or Columbia (maybe a stretch?); Pitt; George Mason; UVA

Are these schools too far a reach? Or are other schools not listed a better idea?

Any feedback is much appreciated

Years ago, I used this forum to gauge my chances of getting into an MPP program. I got into all 3 that I applied to and graduate in August 2012 from GWU's TSPPPA. Loved the school and thought it was a great program.

I am now considering a PhD because I like the research aspect of my current job. I want to get more in depth with it, and transition to a think tank or academia. To that extent, I was hoping I could get help gauging my competitiveness in a PhD program in public policy/administration.

Undergrad: 3.7 GPA, B.S.B.A. - Econmics

Grad: 3.7 GPA, MPP - State and Local Budget and Tax Policy

GRE: (old scores) 770Q, 580V (both in the 90th percentile); can't remember writing score

Work Experience:

• Research assistant with George Washington Institute of Public Policy
  • Research assistant/intern with Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
  • Research work with Pew Center on the States
  • Program Management Analyst for the National Science Foundation
  • Fiscal Analyst at Arizona Joint Legislative Budget Committee
  • Policy and Research Analyst at Arizona Association of Counties

The schools I am considering are: ASU (I live in Phoenix, so could get in state and keep my job/benefits); UC-Denver; American U; Georgetown; GWU; UI-Chicago; UMD - College Park; NYU or Columbia (maybe a stretch?); Pitt; George Mason; UVA

Are these schools too far a reach? Or are other schools not listed a better idea?

Any feedback is much appreciated

I am generally reluctant to gauge PhD applications -- as it is much less of a quantitative approach to admissions as compared with master's and professional programs. That being said, you look very competitive. I would venture to say that you will get accepted into some of those schools at the least.

Programs & Schools: HKS (MPP); Princeton WWS (MPA); SAIS (China); Gtown (Security Studies); Tufts Fletcher (MALD); LSE (MSc); MIT (MA); Yale Jackson (MA); GWash Elliot (Security Policy Studies); Columbia SIPA (MA-Intl Sec)

Notified so far by: Tufts Fletcher (admitted)

Undergraduate Institution: non-ivy ranked around no. 30 in US news

Undergraduate Major:  PolSci+Classics

Undergraduate GPA: 3.64 overall, 3.76(PolSci)

GRE: took it twice sent both scores. VR: 162, 160 ; QR: 158, 163 ; AW 4.0, 4.0

Years of Work Experience: none, but interned at U.S. Senate and CSIS, ran a major undergrad IR journal as president for one year

Relevant Course Work: advanced IR theory(grad level), national security, foreign policy, a lot of history classes, comparative politics, intro level micro and macro econ, Calculus(AP converted, didn't take courses during undergrad), AP Stats, AP Chem...

Language: Chinese (native proficiency), Spanish (just a little bit), Latin (intermediate I guess)

SOP: talked about future career goals, in some of the longer SOPs, talked in detail about lessons learnt about public service, in other SOPs that asked about school's relevance, talked about how certain faculties' research field are helpful to me in detail

LORs:  Three stellar recs I think, 1 from thesis advisor who is well known in the IR theory field, 1 from a professor who is well known in the china field, 1 from a CSIS senior advisor and program chair.

I'm not sure about my chances for HKS, Yale Jackson or Princeton WWS, I really do not have much relevant work experience in public administration apart from my internships. My GPA I feel does not give me advantage either. Personally I am into security studies and feel I have a greater chance in those programs.

Any comment is much appreciated! Thanks!

Just an update, I received offers from Fletcher and LSE, still waiting on the other schools. 

Hi all,

I am intending to apply to IR programs for next cycle and would love your thoughts on whether my expectations are realistic, or if there's anything I should be working on in advance of my application.

Programs: SAIS, Georgetown, GW Elliot, SIPA, HKS, Fletcher

Undergraduate institution: Northwestern University
Undergraduate GPA: 3.6
Undergraduate Major: Political Science and Middle Eastern Studies
Study Abroad: Hebrew University in Jerusalem, 6 months with an internship
Work Experience: Graduated from NU with a competitive fellowship as a Legislative Assistant at a Jewish public policy org, where I stayed for 2.5 years. I now work at the Israeli Embassy in Public Diplomacy. I will have worked there for a year and a half at the time I submit my application
GRE: 164 (v) 161 (q) 5.5 (writing)
Languages: English (native), elementary Spanish and Hebrew
Undergraduate Leadership: Director of largest student-run human rights conference in the US, global engagement leader, Jewish community leader

LORs: A few strong recs lined up from well-respected public figures who have directly supervised me

Concerns: No fluency in language (working on it), no real economics background (taking SAIS's online course), GPA. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all,

I am intending to apply to IR programs for next cycle and would love your thoughts on whether my expectations are realistic, or if there's anything I should be working on in advance of my application.

Programs: SAIS, Georgetown, GW Elliot, SIPA, HKS, Fletcher

Undergraduate institution: Northwestern University

Undergraduate GPA: 3.6

Undergraduate Major: Political Science and Middle Eastern Studies

Study Abroad: Hebrew University in Jerusalem, 6 months with an internship

Work Experience: Graduated from NU with a competitive fellowship as a Legislative Assistant at a Jewish public policy org, where I stayed for 2.5 years. I now work at the Israeli Embassy in Public Diplomacy. I will have worked there for a year and a half at the time I submit my application

GRE: 164 (v) 161 (q) 5.5 (writing)

Languages: English (native), elementary Spanish and Hebrew

Undergraduate Leadership: Director of largest student-run human rights conference in the US, global engagement leader, Jewish community leader

LORs: A few strong recs lined up from well-respected public figures who have directly supervised me

Concerns: No fluency in language (working on it), no real economics background (taking SAIS's online course), GPA. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Your concerns highlight areas where your application is a bit mediocre, but far from weak. I would say that, overall, your qualifications are quite strong. Your GPA, although not perfect, is great -- indicating an A-B average (leaning towards A). A lack of fluency in a language could show that you do not know what exactly you want to do with an IR degree (e.g. which country will be your primary target); however, I'm more than certain many qualified applicants are admitted to similar programs every cycle without the advantage of fluency in another language.

Your GRE is stellar, and should erase any concerns the admissions committees might have about your GPA. Unless you're going into policy analysis, I wouldn't worry that much about your economics background (or lack thereof). Overall -- you look pretty good!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! 

I know that we are deep into the admissions cycle for this year, but I'm feeling restless and would also enjoy contributing to the information collected on this thread. I've benefitted a lot from the perspectives offered over specific candidate profiles, so maybe my example will also help someone make decisions about their grad school endeavors. 

Institution Small, nationally ranked (but not especially prestigious) liberal arts college
Majors International Relations, Classical Studies
GPA 3.93
GRE V: 169 Q: 159 AW: 5.5

Languages: Spanish (intermediate), Latin (intermediate)
Relevant Coursework: Lots of politics and IR; a few specialized econ classes focusing on Development (3.7) and International Political Economy (4.0), Macroeconomics (AP credit), Statistical Methods (4.0), Calculus (AP credit)
Work Experience: not much, unfortunately; a leadership position in the Obama for America campaign and a few months of a full-time internship with an NGO in DC related to my academic field. I also work for my college as a content tutor and writing consultant. 

SOP Luckily, my work experience and extracurricular activities have been closely related to my academic focus. I was also able to highlight some research in my field of choice that I will be presenting at a large political science conference next month. Overall, I feel comfortable about the narrative of my SOP and my ability to connect it to the program in question and specific research and career goals.
LOR Two professors who have worked closely with me in both of my majors and one professional recommendation. I am confident that each represented myself at the very best that I have to offer (and were probably more kind in their assessments than anyone could deserve). 

Applied for WWS (MPA), HKS (MPP), Oxford (MPhil in IR), SAIS, GWU, AU (all International Affairs variants). 
Acceptances AU (full tuition + 12k)
Rejections None yet

Thrilled to have one offer, which definitely eases the anxiety of waiting for decisions. My dream is WWS -- there is a professor there that I have worked with in the past who expressed interest in doing research with me, a phenomenal opportunity -- but obviously my less intensive work experience and less rigorous quant background will be obstacles. I believe that I have other strengths to offer, but time will tell if that approaches any kind of sufficiency. 

Does anyone have some insight for me? Thanks!

Programs & School (All MPA or MPP): Evans (UDubb), NYU Wagner, SciencesPo, Hertie, Humphrey (UofM), LBJ, maybe others 

Undergraduate Institution: 25-ish ranked public university-- nothing special

Undergraduate Major:  PoliSci and Interdisciplinary French Studies

Undergraduate GPA: 3.56 overall; 3.63 Poli Sci, 3.62 French

GRE: 158 V, 152 Q, 3.5 AW

Years of Work Experience: 2.5 at time of application. Working for U.S Senate and re-election campaign. Worked directly with the Senator as "body person." Traveled, staffed, briefed, etc. while Senator was in home-state, at all events. 

Language: French, proficient. Basic Spanish

SOP: I hope they will like it...

LORs:  1 directly from the Senator (I hope this can carry some weight. The Senator knows me very well, and we've worked very closely), 1 from Chief of Staff, 2 from professors with whom I have great relationships with. 

Concerns: Obviously pretty bad GRE scores. I write press releases, copy edit, etc. I consider, and have been told, writing is a strong suit of mine. I'm one of two people that make edits and approve event briefings for the Senator... So, I was a little taken back by the AW. Not too surprised about quantitative; I haven't taken math since HS. I am, however, taking an online micro course to demonstrate some ability to handle that. 

I really hope my work experience will boost my chances. I've attended and staffed 100's of meeting in home-state with the Senator. Studied countless briefs on pretty much any policy you could imagine. I've seen the effect policies have on everyday people, which is why I'm applying. 

So, my hopes are my work experience, pretty solid GPA, and LORs will offset poor GRE showing and average university. 

Input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Programs & School (All MPA or MPP): Evans (UDubb), NYU Wagner, SciencesPo, Hertie, Humphrey (UofM), LBJ, maybe others 

Undergraduate Institution: 25-ish ranked public university-- nothing special

Undergraduate Major:  PoliSci and Interdisciplinary French Studies

Undergraduate GPA: 3.56 overall; 3.63 Poli Sci, 3.62 French

GRE: 158 V, 152 Q, 3.5 AW

Years of Work Experience: 2.5 at time of application. Working for U.S Senate and re-election campaign. Worked directly with the Senator as "body person." Traveled, staffed, briefed, etc. while Senator was in home-state, at all events. 

Language: French, proficient. Basic Spanish

SOP: I hope they will like it...

LORs:  1 directly from the Senator (I hope this can carry some weight. The Senator knows me very well, and we've worked very closely), 1 from Chief of Staff, 2 from professors with whom I have great relationships with. 

Concerns: Obviously pretty bad GRE scores. I write press releases, copy edit, etc. I consider, and have been told, writing is a strong suit of mine. I'm one of two people that make edits and approve event briefings for the Senator... So, I was a little taken back by the AW. Not too surprised about quantitative; I haven't taken math since HS. I am, however, taking an online micro course to demonstrate some ability to handle that. 

I really hope my work experience will boost my chances. I've attended and staffed 100's of meeting in home-state with the Senator. Studied countless briefs on pretty much any policy you could imagine. I've seen the effect policies have on everyday people, which is why I'm applying. 

So, my hopes are my work experience, pretty solid GPA, and LORs will offset poor GRE showing and average university. 

Input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Well luckily for you policy and public affairs schools eat up work experience!

Your GRE scores aren't really bad, they're decent (the AW is poor but -- IMO -- it's compensated for by experience copy editing and the rest of your resume). Schools are aware that GRE scores are more reflective of test-taking ability (and sometimes pure luck) than they are of actual intellectual capabilities.

Your GPA is good, and would probably hover around the average for most of those schools. Also, speaking another language fluently gives you a big plus in the process.

I wouldn't worry too much, your stats look relatively competitive for where you applied.

Hi all,

I'm David and I'll be applying to HKS, Columbia, Berkeley, NYU, Brandeis, BU, University of Edinburgh, Oxford, and a few others for M.P.P. for the fall of 2015 (only a junior here).

Can someone tell me if I have a shot?

School: State University of New York at Buffalo - UB (a flagship of SUNY)

Majors: Economics and International Trade

GPA: 3.30 Economics GPA: 3.30 International Trade GPA: 3.79

Research Experience: 3 years as an Economic Research Assistant in an award-winning lab working under a $3.96 million grant from the USDA to connect farm viability with food access in the United States (currently working on my own paper focusing on food venue choice theory)

Teaching Experience: Undergraduate TA for ECO 407 Macroeconomic Theory

Work Experience: Have interned for Senator Chuck Schumer, Congressman Joe Kennedy III, a State Rep in the Massachusetts State House (where I'm creating my own legislation to create a farmers' market grant program), and doing Marketing for UB's Campus Dining and Services

Extra-Curriculars: President and Founder of the Undergraduate Geography Association, Treasurer of the largest club on campus handling a budget of $13,000, member of Delta Sigma Pi (professional business/economics Fraternity), College Ambassador of the College of Arts and Sciences (Liaison to the Dean), International General Board of United Synagogue Youth, Treasurer of Model European Union, have participated in 2 political simulations (one in Brussels, Belgium for model EU and another in Toronto, Canada for Model UN)

Scholarships and Awards: J. Scott Fleming Scholarship (awarded for leadership on campus), Pillars of Leadership Medal

LOR's: The head of our research lab who's a nationally award winning professor and researcher (particularly in urban and regional planning), State Representative of Massachusetts, and possibly Senator Schumer but that would be weak.

Language: A little bit of spanish and hebrew but pretty much nothing

Relavent Coursework: Macroeconomic Theory, Microeconomic Theory, Econometrics I, Econometric Applications, Dynamics of International Business, Geography of Development, Mathematical Analysis for Management, Calculus and Its Applications 2, Topics of International Economics, Public Sector Economics, Undergraduate Teaching in English, Bases of World Commerce, Earth Systems Science 1 + 2, Geography of Economic Systems, Urban Economics, Money and Banking

My weak point is obviously my GPA. Will that hurt me tremendously?

Edited by Buffalofan4255

My weak point is obviously my GPA. Will that hurt me tremendously?

That and lack of work experience. Most of these schools like to see 2-6 years. Internships with reps sound good to outsiders but everyone on an adcom will know it's unpaid work in an extremely expensive city, which limits the competition for those positions quite a bit and thus kind of undercuts their value. Research experience seems to be a big factor in getting offers and aid, maybe try to get on some in your last year?

Really, I'd say you have to wait for GRE scores to know you chances. If they're stellar, that will help offset the lower GPA. I don't think you'll be all that competitive for HKS unless you get some work experience, simply because it just seems like lots of people with similar educational backgrounds, more work experience, and better GPAs still don't get in (doesn't hurt to try though). Columbia maybe but I'd be worried about aid (full cost of attendance is $140,000 by their estimates, which at the 7.5% interest you're going to pay on loans > $20,500 a year is nuts ). The problem with the NYC and DC schools is that you need to get 50%+ COA in aid to make attending reasonable. 

You'll almost certainly get into NYU Wagner as long as your GREs are decent. I would worry about funding though, I rarely see people getting much aid from them.

I imagine that if you cast a wide net you'll get in somewhere good, especially with good GRE scores. Keep in mind though that having no work experience is going to make it tough to land a job and you'll have both undergrad and grad debt piling up interest while you work. I'd advise at least a year of work. 

Edited by TimB

thanks for replying and giving such a detailed response!! Would you or anyone else happen to know my chances at Fels, UPenn for MPA or Brown's taubman? From penn's website I saw the average GPA is a 3.48 and GRE's in the 70th percentile. I haven't taken my GRE's yet, but I score about 70% correct on practice tests...(I just started doing research on GRE's)

Edited by Buffalofan4255

Hi All, I'm a current Peace Corps volunteer looking to apply to some MPP and International Relation degrees in the coming year. I would appreciate if you could share with me your thoughts on the competitiveness of my profile for the considered programs.

Schools Being Considered: University of Denver - Korbel, University of Michigan - Ford MPP, University of Minnesota - HHH - MPP, University of Texas - LBJ Master of Global Policy Studies, Duke Sanford MPP, University of Wisconsin Lafollette MPA, UCSD - IRPS, University of Chicago Harris MPP, Georgetown - MPP, Berkeley - MPP, American University - MA International Affairs - Economics

Undergraduate Institution: University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign 

Undergraduate Major:  Finance 

Undergraduate GPA: 3.59 Overall 3.63 Major GPA

GRE: 158 V, 163 Q, 4.0 AW - only took the GRE once.

Years of Work Experience: 3.5 years of work experience in the private sector working in Investment Risk Management. Following that stint, I joined the Peace Corps and have been working in rural development over the past 2 years in business and agriculture. I also am the acting president of the Volunteer Advisory Committee here in Ecuador. I represent the interests of all the volunteers in Ecuador (over 100) and interact with the Peace Corps Ecuador Staff regularly in the interest of these volunteers. 

Language: Spanish - Proficient 

LORs:  1 from the Peace Corps Country director, 1 from former manager and Treasurer of former employer, haven't decided on the other recommendation yet. 

Coursework : As a finance major, my undergraduate degree focused heavily on quantitative courses in Economics, Finance, and Accounting.

Concerns: I'm concerned about the LOCs as I don't have a strong relationship with any professors from my undergrad. As a result, all of my LORs will come from managers in my old company or here in the Peace Corps and I'm hoping it won't be a huge issue with admissions. I'm also worried a bit about my Verbal GRE score. I'm not sure if it's worth it to take the GRE again.

Hi All, I'm a current Peace Corps volunteer looking to apply to some MPP and International Relation degrees in the coming year. I would appreciate if you could share with me your thoughts on the competitiveness of my profile for the considered programs.

Schools Being Considered: University of Denver - Korbel, University of Michigan - Ford MPP, University of Minnesota - HHH - MPP, University of Texas - LBJ Master of Global Policy Studies, Duke Sanford MPP, University of Wisconsin Lafollette MPA, UCSD - IRPS, University of Chicago Harris MPP, Georgetown - MPP, Berkeley - MPP, American University - MA International Affairs - Economics

Years of Work Experience: 3.5 years of work experience in the private sector working in Investment Risk Management. Following that stint, I joined the Peace Corps and have been working in rural development over the past 2 years in business and agriculture. I also am the acting president of the Volunteer Advisory Committee here in Ecuador. I represent the interests of all the volunteers in Ecuador (over 100) and interact with the Peace Corps Ecuador Staff regularly in the interest of these volunteers. 

LORs:  1 from the Peace Corps Country director, 1 from former manager and Treasurer of former employer, haven't decided on the other recommendation yet. 

Coursework : As a finance major, my undergraduate degree focused heavily on quantitative courses in Economics, Finance, and Accounting.

Concerns: I'm concerned about the LOCs as I don't have a strong relationship with any professors from my undergrad. As a result, all of my LORs will come from managers in my old company or here in the Peace Corps and I'm hoping it won't be a huge issue with admissions. I'm also worried a bit about my Verbal GRE score. I'm not sure if it's worth it to take the GRE again.

Your GPA and quantitative GRE score are more than fine, Peace Corps experience is always great for the application (as an RPCV I can attest to that), and I think overall you'd be pretty competitive at most of those schools. Getting your GRE verbal score up will greatly increase your odds of getting funding, although a lot of those schools (Denver especially) are generous with $$ for RPCVs. Make sure you can tie in your private sector experience into why you want an MPP/related degree, that is a fairly unusual background for these programs so that's certainly favorable for you. A lot of schools require an academic reference, so try emailing some undergrad professors who would remember you and would write a solid LoR. If that is impossible, then you definitely would want to contact admissions committees and explain why you won't be providing a rec from an academic source.

Hi All,

Thought I would post my admissions results on here to help those out in the future looking for a bit of reference, see the red text below. Right now my decision is down to between Fletcher and USC, leaning heavily towards Fletcher

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, just been a casual follower so far. I have kind of an unusual background, I'm currently in public accounting (2.5 yrs), but ever since undergrad I've wanted to pursue IR (got sidetracked by a Big 4 firm offering me a job in NYC). I've applied to some schools, and I wanted to get opinions from people on my chances to the programs that I've applied to. 

Graduated from a small public university in the deep South, earned two degrees upon graduation. A couple months after graduation I went to work as an accountant at the same firm at which I'm currently employed.

GPA: 3.41

BBA - Accounting

BA - Foreign Languages (Commercial German)

Began BS in Political Science online through same university after graduation, took 3 or so classes, + a few classes during undergrad but never earned the degree.

Study Abroad:

2 semesters abroad (Germany & Austria) + Summer abroad in Spain

Senior Capstone Research project:

Analysis of the effects of the European Sovereign Debt Crisis on the fiscal health and enlargement of the EU. (not published)

Languages:

Fluent: German & Spanish

Conversational: Russian, French, Farsi

Undergrad Classes taken in Polish and Turkish (I love learning languages)

GRE:

Most Recent test:

Verbal: 161  87%

Quant: 151  41%

AW:      5.5   97%

First test:

Verbal: 580  78%

Quant: 710  61%

AW:      4.0  54%

LOR:

Former partner at my firm (since left to another firm)

Former manager at my firm (since left to another firm)

Undergrad Professor & academic adviser (oversaw capstone)

After graduation, I went to work for a Big 4 Accounting firm - my firm is one of the largest firms in the world. I don't want to disclose the name, but it's either EY, PwC, KPMG, or Deloitte, and I will have been here three years by the time I go back to grad school. Unfortunately, I don't really have any experience in IR. I bombed the Quant score on my most recent GRE, but did well on Verbal and AW. I'm not sure how much this will help, however, as I know they often look at Quant to compare you to foreign students.

Anyway, I've applied to the following programs and am currently anxiously awaiting decisions:

USC - Price - MPP (International Affairs Concentration) [Accepted with half-tuition scholarship]

U Denver - Korbel - GFTEI [Accepted with 13k scholarship]

Columbia - SIPA - MIA - International Finance and Economic Policy [Accepted with no funding]

Fletcher - MALD [Accepted with 15k scholarship]

GWU - MA International Trade and Investment Policy [Accepted with no funding]

NYU - MS Global Affairs [Accepted with no funding, or at least they haven't told me yet]

CCNY - IR [unknown, don't really care. I'll probably find out after I've accepted at either USC or Fletcher]

My end goal is to become an economic analyst at the World Bank or IMF, and at the programs I've applied to I want to research the efforts at regional political economic integration in various regions, with special interest in integration in South America through UNASUR. I've mentioned both in my statements of purpose and included my capstone research project (even if they didn't specifically require a writing sample!).

So given the above, despite my lack of IR background, what would you rate my chances of getting into any of these programs?

Thanks for your time!

Agreed about the LORs needing an academic one. It is really very important for schools to see that you have done both parts well. I would suggest taking some classes between now and the winter to boost yourself in maybe statistics, which fills in your transcript nicely, and forging some good ties with the professor. I took two classes as a non-degree student the year before I applied, and the professor ended up being one of my three references, which worked out really well.

Also, if you can write a bang-up SOP, then I'd say the Verbal GRE is not as important. Good luck!

Programs of Interest: Johns Hopkins SAIS, LSE, SOAS Development Studies, Columbia SIPA, GWU, Brandeis Heller School for Development Studies, IHEID Development Studies

Undergraduate institution: Public Ivy
Undergraduate Degree: BA Economics, Spanish (Certificate in International Economics)
Undergraduate GPA:  3.78+ (3.85+ in the last 2 years of undergrad)
Study Abroad experience: None

GRE: Yet to take
Years Out of Undergrad: Currently finishing last quarter of undergraduate
Years of Work Experience: 2.5 years relevant internship during school
Describe Relevant Work Experience:
- 1 year experience interning with social justice organization focused on El Salvador
- 1+ year experience with youth mobilization organization
- Working with a professor, helping with research studying inequality in the US (not international...but it shows my research skills?)
- Will gain more international experience this summer, working abroad

Coursework:
Intro/Intermediate Micro/Macro
Applied Econometrics
International trade
International macroeconomics
Developmental Economics
Multivariable calculus (the entire series)
Statistics
Political science
International human rights 
Undergraduate independent research course

Languages:
English
Spanish
Hindi

Concerns: I'm not sure how I stand in terms of the schools I am interested in....Any feedback will help. I know it's difficult because I haven't taken the GREs yet but any advice/comments are helpful!! Thank you! :)
Edited by unagi

Programs & Schools: HKS (MPP); Princeton WWS; SAIS; Yale Jackson (MA); Columbia SIPA (MA); maybe Georgetown (Security Studies)

Undergraduate Institution:  1. Top 50 private 2. Top 20 private 3. University of Florid

Undergraduate Major:  History and Political Science, Certificate in IR

Undergraduate GPA: 

1st University: 3.8

2nd University 3.71

3rd University (last two years) – 3.97

Note: Awarded Summa for the quality of a thesis (German history, original translations).

Study Abroad Experience: Spent a summer in Berlin completing an intensive language course at the intermediate level and conducting research. When back with my thesis advisor for a week in Munich my senior year.

GRE: I’ve completed a mock exam with other students in the room, I had little preparation:

V: 170 Q: 155

Years of Work Experience: Basically none, I’ve been interning in a Congressional office fulltime since this January.

Relevant Course Work: Tons of IR and history classes, too many to list. In terms of quant: Intro Micro + Macro, Stats

Language: German (Intermediate at the time I was doing my thesis research – bit rusty now)

SOP: Have not started on these yet, however I’m confident in my ability to craft a convincing statement.

LORs:  1st from my thesis adviser, a very well-known professor of German history. We had an incredibly close relationship and he was a big fan of my work. 2nd will most likely be from the Congressional office. 3rd I have two tenured IR professors to choose from, one being a prominent feminist IR scholar, the other known more for his work on critiquing contemporary realism – I’d actually appreciate some help in determining which one I should choose.

Concerns: A few things stand out to me. First, I’m not sure how schools will view me transferring universities so often. I can easily explain the reason for each, but I don’t think it’s worth wasting precious SOP space to provide an explanation. Next is obviously the work experience and the lack of experience. I’ve found getting a job has been very difficult since graduating, and therefore I lack direction. Lastly, is the Q on my GRE. Columbia SIPA is currently my #1 choice I believe.  

Any commentary would be extremely helpful. I’d actually love to take the time to explain my situation more fully and see advice over PMs. I will begin studying for the LSATs once my GRE is completed.

Thanks so much for any advice, I really appreciate it. 

Edited by mauldin

Programs & Schools: HKS (MPP); Princeton WWS; SAIS; Yale Jackson (MA); Columbia SIPA (MA); maybe Georgetown (Security Studies)

Undergraduate Institution:  1. Top 50 private 2. Top 20 private 3. University of Florid

Undergraduate Major:  History and Political Science, Certificate in IR

Undergraduate GPA: 

1st University: 3.8

2nd University 3.71

3rd University (last two years) – 3.97

Note: Awarded Summa for the quality of a thesis (German history, original translations).

Study Abroad Experience: Spent a summer in Berlin completing an intensive language course at the intermediate level and conducting research. When back with my thesis advisor for a week in Munich my senior year.

GRE: I’ve completed a mock exam with other students in the room, I had little preparation:

V: 170 Q: 155

Years of Work Experience: Basically none, I’ve been interning in a Congressional office fulltime since this January.

Relevant Course Work: Tons of IR and history classes, too many to list. In terms of quant: Intro Micro + Macro, Stats

Language: German (Intermediate at the time I was doing my thesis research – bit rusty now)

SOP: Have not started on these yet, however I’m confident in my ability to craft a convincing statement.

LORs:  1st from my thesis adviser, a very well-known professor of German history. We had an incredibly close relationship and he was a big fan of my work. 2nd will most likely be from the Congressional office. 3rd I have two tenured IR professors to choose from, one being a prominent feminist IR scholar, the other known more for his work on critiquing contemporary realism – I’d actually appreciate some help in determining which one I should choose.

Concerns: A few things stand out to me. First, I’m not sure how schools will view me transferring universities so often. I can easily explain the reason for each, but I don’t think it’s worth wasting precious SOP space to provide an explanation. Next is obviously the work experience and the lack of experience. I’ve found getting a job has been very difficult since graduating, and therefore I lack direction. Lastly, is the Q on my GRE. Columbia SIPA is currently my #1 choice I believe.  

Any commentary would be extremely helpful. I’d actually love to take the time to explain my situation more fully and see advice over PMs. I will begin studying for the LSATs once my GRE is completed.

Thanks so much for any advice, I really appreciate it. 

A few questions -- have you graduated yet? And of course, put more work into improving your quant score before you take the actual exam, but I don't know how well the mock exam actually approximates the situation. Your credentials look fine in general, and I think you would have no problem explaining in a subsection of your application (rather than the SOP proper) about your switching undergraduate universities. Plus, you've kept your grades up in all of the, so I think it's hardly going to be an issue for graduate schools. 

What I'm really concerned about is a definition of direction. You're going to get the most bang out of your buck not to mention your time investment if you know what you want to do after your degree. Take some time and work experience to figure out what you really want to do AND if you need a degree to do it. Three years of work experience for me were extremely illuminating and directed me onto a different path. This is also true for countless other people you'll encounter on the forum, so it's not that you can't go into grad school right now if you're just graduating, but that work experience can only help you in your situation. You're contemplating several different paths right now: the MPP is very different from Security Studies at Georgetown or even the IR degree, and then the LSAT is worlds away too. It's great to have an articulated range of interests, and you should find a relevant full-time job that explores one of these areas. Maybe the congressional office would be of help in connecting you to that. 

Again, your credentials are great and will probably get into some schools, but they may not offer much funding, and more important, it may not be the right thing for you to. Graduate school can be a springboard and launch you to where you want to go, but you need to know the direction or you won't be able to get the job you want afterwards or make the most out of the experience.