The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

I think I could accomplish my goals with a degree from American, GWU or NYU. I'm a GWU legacy. I'm not sure how much of a role that plays these days when it comes to admissiosn (and there's certainly no way of mentioning it nonchalantly that wouldn't make me feel like a--well, not very nice word). Would that really hinder my job opportunities do you think or are those schools still well-respected?

You don't need a public policy degree to work internationally. What kind of work do you want to do? Switching careers won't magically be remedied by a public policy/international affairs degree depending on what you want to do.

GWU and American serve many people just fine, but they're not competitive. Being a "legend" won't matter. They're perfectly fine programs, and if you get funded, all the better. But if you're worried about your chances of getting in, the door is already open. NYU may be the same way, except for different reasons: it's a money grubbing institution exploiting a decent brand name that pools its endowments. And you'll get no funding.

GWU and American are not well-regarded in DC but I think their reputations are pretty decent overall. Similarly, NYU is not very well-regarded in NYC but well-regarded overall. 

Edited by NPRjunkie

They're definitely well respected schools. Especially when it comes to the "brand name" (looking at the university you attended opposed to the program studied). The issue is that Public Policy is a VERY competitive field in some regards. The degree will not have as wide-ranging an employment base as its private counterpart the MBA. So alot of time it pays to try to get into THE best school possible. An example, I posted a topic about Cornell's Public Policy program. I'd still love to go there and I am applying, but I was shocked to find the response on these boards was "Cornell isnt high on the radar" and "Have you considered Columbia?" Cornell is an Ivy league institution! At the end of the day, we seek political jobs, prestige and networking factor highly.

But again, it really and truly depends on what you want to do with a degree. The skills you learn at any program might outweigh connections if you want to start your own NGO or do humanitarian work, but alot of people on these boards are looking at Foreign Service, Three Letter Agencies, World Bank, Elected Office... etc etc etc

I guess to an extent I am the one encouraging you to work the math angle, because your profile is excellent. Unless you feel particularly weak at math (which is a problem since most programs have a mandatory economics core) a few weeks worth of high school refresher material and some test taking strategies can get your quant score to the desired threshold. Also given you come from a different academic background, this will help you make sure you really want to invest two years in this degree :)

You're right that the university's brand name matters, but Cornell's public policy program is just kind of an "unknown zone." No particular reputation of any kind... I've never met a CIPA graduate. If you're considering the networking factor, the program's reputation still matters more in public policy circles. By contrast, the university's brand name matters more if you want to leverage your degree outside public policy. As another example of this, I went to SAIS. If I were in DC, I could say "I went to SAIS" and be understood. If I said that outside DC, people might instead ask something like "What's SAIS? Is that that new gluten-free restaurant on 14th?"

If you want some government desk job, or if even if you want a fancy foreign service career, it doesn't matter where you get your graduate degree. For a lot of other things it does. 

Edited by NPRjunkie

Hi there, I would like to begin applying to schools next year.  Do I have a chance?

GPA: 3.1 (a bit higher for major, better grades in higher level courses)

GRE: 164 verbal / 159 quant (estimate)

University: Top 30 private university in the northeast

Major: International Affairs

Work experience: 1 year of internship experience post graduation on Capitol Hill, lobbying firm, trade associations, plus between 2-3 years at an international development consulting company as a FT project management staffer prior to matriculation

Degree sought: MPP or MPA programs, with an international focus

Post-graduation career plans:  Consulting firm working with public sector clients (USG)

I expect pretty average letters of recommendations but I generally write baller statements.

Schools interested:  UVa, American, GWU, Syracuse, W&M, Duke

Edited by inkstain

Programs:  LSE MSc Urbanisation and Development, UCL Bartlett Development Planning Unit, IHEID Development Studies, 

Columbia SIPA, NYU Wagner International Development Planning, New School Milano MIA, Harvard GSD International Planning,

Columbia GSAPP International Development, MIT Urban Planning International Development Group, UC Berkeley MUP.    

Undergraduate institution: University of California, Santa Barbara (Top 40 US undergrad)

Undergraduate Degree: BA, History 

BA, Sociology

Undergraduate GPA:  3.61 (Honors) 

3.8-3.9 (Major GPA)

Study Abroad experience: Semester in S.Korea

GRE: Verbal: 166; Quant: 159 (AW 4.0)

Years Out of Undergrad: 0.5 years

Years of Work Experience:  2 yearsPart-time, 0.5 years Full-time

Describe Relevant Work Experience:

- Research internship at a fairly well-known DC think tank, working for one of the top people there

- Staff writer of a small, local daily newspaper covering city politics and etc. 

Languages:

English: Native/Bilingual

Korean: Native/Bilingual

Portuguese: High Intermediate

French: Basic (some coursework)

Spanish: Basic (some coursework)

Quantitative: Intro Stats, Intro to IPE (+ plan to take intro econ soon)

SOP: Probably nothing special compared to others'. No unusual story to tell, really. Just a standard letter of my strengths/weaknesses, WE, fit to the program, etc.

LOR: 2 Professors (Sociology / Development Studies), 1 Former Employer

(Expect all three letters to be very strong. The first two know me rather well personally and academically.

And the third I feel would still write me a relatively good letter, considering he/she asked me a lot of details in prep for the LOR and b/c we had a                     pretty good rapport going)

Questions:

- No long, full-time WE, no quant, fresh out of undergrad: Would I really have chance at any of the top IDEV, UP programs?

-I know most of you are not applying to UP related programs, but some of the programs I'm applying to are policy schools, so I hope I could get some advice on those.

Thanks!!

Edited by dpgu800

dpgu - I think you have a good shot.  If you don't get accepted it'll be due to lack of work experience.  From what I've read everywhere it's harder to get accepted without full-time work experience (even if all other aspects are strong).  

Out of curiosity, did you live on Jeju or play for Jeju United??  I lived in Seogwipo for 19 months.

Cheers

hedong,

Thanks so much for the feedback!!

Most of my family on my mom's side is from Jejudo, so I've been in an out of the island countless number of time.

But I didn't grow up there unfortunately :(

@NPRJunkie: I just had to LOL at "What's SAIS? Is that the new gluten-free restaurant on 14th?" Reminds me of the times when I told people where I went to college, and they were like, "Yeah...Pomona...That's a women's college right?"

You're right that the university's brand name matters, but Cornell's public policy program is just kind of an "unknown zone." No particular reputation of any kind... I've never met a CIPA graduate. If you're considering the networking factor, the program's reputation still matters more in public policy circles. By contrast, the university's brand name matters more if you want to leverage your degree outside public policy. As another example of this, I went to SAIS. If I were in DC, I could say "I went to SAIS" and be understood. If I said that outside DC, people might instead ask something like "What's SAIS? Is that that new gluten-free restaurant on 14th?"

If you want some government desk job, or if even if you want a fancy foreign service career, it doesn't matter where you get your graduate degree. For a lot of other things it does. 

Looks like we have some people with a lot of experience here. Admissions offices are pretty tight lipped about what it takes to get into a given program and it seems like a lot of the data that gets out to the internet isn't necessarily reliable so I'd love to see what you think?

Programs:  Duke Sanford MPP, North Carolina State MPA, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill MPA

Undergraduate institution: Syracuse University 

Undergraduate Degree: Psychology

Undergraduate GPA:  3.81 (heavy course load, graduated in 3 years)

Major: 3.83

I also have some additional chem/bio courses from community college when I was                                                          trying to do prereqs for a neuroscience PhD (decided that was not for me)

Study Abroad experience: Semester abroad in southern Chile with NOLS (mountaineering, sea kayaking, and emergency medicine curriculum)

GRE: Verbal: 169 (99th percentile); Quant: 154 (57th percentile); AW 5.0 (93rd percentile) 

Years Out of Undergrad: 4 years

Years of Work Experience:  2 years of relevant work

- currently work for a health policy/advocacy focused non-profit. I am head editor of our quarterly journal, sit on the states Governor's Advisory Council on our health issue of focus, and run our legislative advocacy initiative. I also staff a call line for resource referral. Been to national policy conferences, haven't presented though.

- 1 year grants work focused on funding infrastructure rebuilding efforts working for FEMA. Communications work as well, answering state and congressional inquires into operations and policy. 

- Americorps program, basically civicly minded volunteering

Other work after undergrad:

- 1 year as a database admin for a large hospital.

- 6 months a dog walker in Brooklyn (unfortunately in the middle of the winter of "snowmegeddon,") 

- 6 months as an ophthalmological technician/medical admin staff in a glaucoma clinic/research center

- 1 summer as a rock climbing/backpacking guide and leader of a "leaders in  training" program.

- 1 summer as a real estate agent 

-- none of this is on my resume anymore except the hospital gig, but I do a cursory overview in my SOP.

Languages:

English (pathetic I know)

Quantitative: Intro Stats, Statistics for the Social Sciences (A's in courses) - currently enrolled to take microeconomics and macroeconomics at community college this coming semester.

SOP:  I was living in New York City right as Occupy Wall St. got going, and I was there for all the more iconic moments (people arrested on the Brooklyn bridge, etc). I became disenchanted after everything fell apart pretty quickly, but it's an exciting way to get interested in public policy. I was already working with FEMA when Hurricane Sandy hit so I was there from the day after the storm hit. I got to act as secretary on high level meetings right as the response unfolded. Two exciting stories to tie into an interest in policy I guess. I also grew up in a pretty terrible city and went to a school with a graduation rate of about 25%, so I can say I've seen what failed policy looks like from a first hand perspective.

I'm sure I could write a better essay as a health policy applicant given my 18+ months of hospital work, but it seems disingenuous since I'm more interested in social policy/global issues. 

Video: I only briefly touch on Hurricane Sandy in my SOP so I'm going to try to expand a bit on my intro video. I have a lot of powerful pictures from that time period. 

LOR: 1 professor, 2 former supervisors.

(I think they should be good. I don't know if either of my supervisors have ever written a grad school recommendation before but I'm not sure if that matters. 

Questions:

- No economics courses (I am allowed to show that I am enrolled to take them), is this a big liability? 

-OWS seemed like a good attention grabber to open on, but I'm worried that it's a contentious subject; Duke and UNC are quite liberal however.

- Majored in an only tangentially related field, my course selection leaned towards neuroscience and biology

- Less than stellar quant score. 

- Stated focus of global/social issues, but my work experience is mostly in the health sector.

Do I have a decent chance? I know admissions is kind of a crap shoot. I feel pretty good about NC State because it admits a lot of people. I'm applying part time to the MPA programs and would most likely cast a wider net for good policy schools in the future with some some A's in graduate coursework under my belt. My wife and I are also considering the Peace Corps but that's a whole different discussion.

Let me also ask, for what kind of positions are Ivy Tier names so important? I liked working with the Feds before, and I'd love to work in another federal position. A foreign service job sounds great but realistically I don't know how it'd mesh with family life and my wife's goals.

Everything is done for now; I guess I just hold my breath for 4 months. 

Thanks for any input!

Edited by TimB

Hey all, hope everybody is getting through the application processes somewhat painlessly. Looking to see what my chances may be for MPA programs.

Programs: LSE MPA International Development, SAIS MA International Development, Columbia SIPA Economic and Political Development, Tufts MALD

Undergaduate institution: University of California, Berkeley

Undergraduate Degree: BS Environmental Economics and Policy

Undergraduate GPA: 3.67 (3.8-3.9 Major GPA)

GRE: Verbal: 162; Quant: 162 (AW 4.0)

Years out of Undergrad: 2 years (at time of enrollment)

Years of Work Experience: 2 years full-time (at time of enrollment)

- consultant at agricultural research institute in Bangladesh

- researcher (including project design) for non-profit in East Africa

- intern with group that provides legal representation for groups affected by international financial institutions

Languages: English (native), Bengali (working), French (basic), Kiswahili (basic)

Quantitative: math up to multivariable (but received C+ in MV Calc), concepts of probability

SOP: probably nothing special, but solid

LORs: 1 former professor of economics, 1 project supervisor, and 1 who was both

Questions: WE substantial enough for entry into top programs? How do not-the-greatest math scores affect chances into quantitative programs? Which are better programs to enter for quant study? Should I address my C scores in MV Calc in optional essays?

Thanks!

Edited by blueandgold23

Hey all, hope everybody is getting through the application processes somewhat painlessly. Looking to see what my chances may be for MPA programs.

Programs: LSE MPA International Development, SAIS MA International Development, Columbia SIPA Economic and Political Development, Tufts MALD

Undergaduate institution: University of California, Berkeley

Undergraduate Degree: BS Environmental Economics and Policy

Undergraduate GPA: 3.67 (3.8-3.9 Major GPA)

GRE: Verbal: 162; Quant: 162 (AW 4.0)

Years out of Undergrad: 2 years (at time of enrollment)

Years of Work Experience: 2 years full-time (at time of enrollment)

- consultant at agricultural research institute in Bangladesh

- researcher (including project design) for non-profit in East Africa

- intern with group that provides legal representation for groups affected by international financial institutions

Languages: English (native), Bengali (working), French (basic), Kiswahili (basic)

Quantitative: math up to multivariable (but received C+ in MV Calc), concepts of probability

SOP: probably nothing special, but solid

LORs: 1 former professor of economics, 1 project supervisor, and 1 who was both

Questions: WE substantial enough for entry into top programs? How do not-the-greatest math scores affect chances into quantitative programs? Which are better programs to enter for quant study?

Thanks!

Your GPA is solid and you have a good UG under your belt which is an excellent start.

Your GRE V/Q are competitive for all schools, the AWA was a little low but not so bad that they would consider it (from what I've gathered the AWA has virtually no importance unless your score is terrible [x<3.0] since personal statements and writing samples are more indicitive of your writing ability).

The international work and language study will help you alot!

Ouch on the Multi. I admit depending on who is looking (and what else you've got on your transcript) I think it could hurt but is far from a killer. Given Economics is studied at a strong intermediate level in most of these schools, your single variable grades and stats work are more indicitive of your ability to do economics. So what did you get in single variable? Do you have any linear algebra / Probability Theory / Econometrics? Stats for social sciences? Good grades in any of these can help mitigate one C+. Your GRE Q helps in this regard as well.

Edited by Jufarius87

Your GPA is solid and you have a good UG under your belt which is an excellent start.

Your GRE V/Q are competitive for all schools, the AWA was a little low but not so bad that they would consider it (from what I've gathered the AWA has virtually no importance unless your score is terrible [x<3.0] since personal statements and writing samples are more indicitive of your writing ability).

The international work and language study will help you alot!

Ouch on the Multi. I admit depending on who is looking (and what else you've got on your transcript) I think it could hurt but is far from a killer. Given Economics is studied at a strong intermediate level in most of these schools, your single variable grades and stats work are more indicitive of your ability to do economics. So what did you get in single variable? Do you have any linear algebra / Probability Theory / Econometrics? Stats for social sciences? Good grades in any of these can help mitigate one C+. Your GRE Q helps in this regard as well.

Jufarius87, thanks very much on the input. Was nervous about the multi score, but yes hope my GRE helps somewhat. Have taken courses in Stats for Social Science, 2 courses on probability, and single variable (As in all but one prob course). Got a B in Linear Algebra :/  You think it is worth addressing the C+ in optional essays (basically as a lesson in time management, was a difficult semester)? Do you have any input on which schools are better for quant study?

Best of luck on your admissions as well.

My concern is not so much about getting into programs or not. I'm fairly certain my applications will warrant acceptances; however, I'm mostly looking at out of state schools such as UW Evans, UTAustin LBJ, and IndianaU-Bloomington SPEA. My goal is a to get an MPA with focus on non-profit management/public administration. Since out-of-state tuition can amount to the same as an entire entry-level annual salary, I would really need some form of scholarship, fellowship, assistantship, or other financial aid to attend a program full-time. I recently took the GRE and I'm debating whether or not to take it again to improve the quantitative score. I let myself get distracted by one problem and ended up running out of time to answer all of them. The estimates were V:165/Q:158. I'll find out the AW in a while, but I'm not concerned with that since my SOP will better demonstrate my writing abilities. Here's some other background:

Undergrad: State flagship school, 3.91/4.0 GPA, graduated Magna cum laude, social science degree. Classes in micro/macroeconomics, statistics, social research methods, political science, etc.

Work experience: 3+ years volunteering abroad with Peace Corps, great background of accomplishments and projects, as well as additional domestic work/volunteering with animal welfare NPOs and youth development NPOs

LOR: professor, counterpart/site supervisor, country director

I'm not sure how much GRE scores will play into award decisions, but I do have the chance to take the GRE again before the deadlines of several institutions. Would it be worth the money to take it again and hopefully get a better score? Any experience or insight would be appreciated

Edited by Calatoara

LBj gives good money SPEA not so much, not sure about Evans. Your GPA and experience sounds good to get funding remember that public schools in general have less funds availiable to out of staters while private schools even if expensive have a lot more money to give in financial aid so I would add GWU and cornell to your list. I think you have a good shot at getting at least an out of state waiver at LBJ.

I'll throw my stats in the mix.  Interested to see what folks think of my chances:

Programs:  SIPA, SAIS

Degree/GPA:  3.46; B.A. International Affairs

GRE: 160quant / 162 verbal

Years Work Experience: 6

1 year as congressional staffer

5  years as Foreign Service Officer w/ Dept of State.  Overseas tours include China, Brazil

Languages Spoken:  English, Chinese, Portuguese

Quant Experience:  Low quant grades in university.  Social Statistics: B-  ; Macroeconomics: C ; Microeconomics: B+ ; International Econ: C+

However past two years work experience with strong quant and economic focus

Received 1.5 month economics training course at govt facility as part of job training (though no grade given, internal training only)

Chances/Questions?  Should I take an online econ class or math class to demonstrate that I have proficiency in these areas?  Or does my strong work experience, international experience, etc. help overcome the poor academic math/econ scores?

SOP: Part of the reason I'm drawn to these two programs is because of their strong finance and econ focus -- areas increasingly related to my job.  Should I highlight this, even though it may draw attention to my poor quant academic background?

Thanks!

@NPRJunkie: I just had to LOL at "What's SAIS? Is that the new gluten-free restaurant on 14th?" Reminds me of the times when I told people where I went to college, and they were like, "Yeah...Pomona...That's a women's college right?"

Women's college is better than "gluten-free restaurant," something similar to which I had thrown at me in NYC one time. ;)

My concern is not so much about getting into programs or not. I'm fairly certain my applications will warrant acceptances; however, I'm mostly looking at out of state schools such as UW Evans, UTAustin LBJ, and IndianaU-Bloomington SPEA. My goal is a to get an MPA with focus on non-profit management/public administration. Since out-of-state tuition can amount to the same as an entire entry-level annual salary, I would really need some form of scholarship, fellowship, assistantship, or other financial aid to attend a program full-time. I recently took the GRE and I'm debating whether or not to take it again to improve the quantitative score. I let myself get distracted by one problem and ended up running out of time to answer all of them. The estimates were V:165/Q:158. I'll find out the AW in a while, but I'm not concerned with that since my SOP will better demonstrate my writing abilities. Here's some other background:

Undergrad: State flagship school, 3.91/4.0 GPA, graduated Magna cum laude, social science degree. Classes in micro/macroeconomics, statistics, social research methods, political science, etc.

Work experience: 3+ years volunteering abroad with Peace Corps, great background of accomplishments and projects, as well as additional domestic work/volunteering with animal welfare NPOs and youth development NPOs

LOR: professor, counterpart/site supervisor, country director

I'm not sure how much GRE scores will play into award decisions, but I do have the chance to take the GRE again before the deadlines of several institutions. Would it be worth the money to take it again and hopefully get a better score? Any experience or insight would be appreciated

If you're going to be paying out-of-state tuition, you might as well be applying to HKS/SIPA/SAIS/Gtown etc. Peace Corps is very well-respected. Is there any reason you're limiting yourself to state schools? Seems like your only deficit is a low quant. score, but I think you're underestimating your chances a bit.

If you think "nonprofit management" will actually matter as a concentration/specialization, dispel that idea out of your head right now. Go to the best branded school you can get into and that you can afford. 

Applying to Masters in Health Administration/Management programs

Currently in undergrad, studying Healthcare Policy and Administration - which is closely tied to what I am pursing in graduate school.  I have a solid 3.4 GPA with some blemishes (D+ in Pre-Calculus, retook Business Calculus that I received an F in and got a B the 2nd time).  I also spent my first 2 years of my undergrad at a community college where I got a 2.9 GPA...with some W's all over the place...Had no idea what I was doing.  However, my major GPA is very good (at University)...and I have a very nice upward trend, including a 4.0 this past quarter.

I had 2 very good internships - American Medical Association as a policy analyst, and a research assistant at the University of Chicago.  Also recently got hired as a Administrative assistant at a local clinic.

Haven't taken my GRE yet, but based on practices..I anticipate scoring around 150-154 range on Quant...and probably really low on Verbal..140-145 range.   These programs typically expect you to score above 150 for both sections.

My LOR's are from my internship at the American Medical Association, my current boss at the private practice, and my third from a healthcare professor.  Expecting all to be very solid.

My biggest variable is the GRE.  I dont think it will help my case....I'm kind of praying that my upward trend in my grades--especially because of my major being very closely related will help bail me out.  And also because my amount of work experience is unique since they're competitive and not many undergrads have this much experience in healthcare.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Feedback?  Anything please :)

Edited by bahmed816

Hey guys, Id appreciate it if could I get any insight on my profile for these schools I'm currently working on :

International student from France

Programs:  MIA SIPA, SSP GTown, Elliot Intelligence, MPIA UCSD

Undergraduate institution: SciencesPo

Undergraduate Degree: Bachelor in Social Sciences - No Major

Undergraduate GPA:  3.2 (I don't really know, I used an online software) ranking top 30 though.

Study Abroad experience: 1 year in top university in Beijing

GRE: Verbal: 155; Quant: 165 (AW 5)

Years Out of Undergrad: 1 year (just starting my "gap" year)

Years of Work Experience: 1 year

- 3 months -political- internship at US Embassy 

- 3 months internship at consulting/think-tank in France focused on minorities, human rights, and countries "in transition"

- 6 months internship -cultural affairs- at French Embassy

- Wrote articles for Asia-oriented IR magazine + teacher assistant 

A lot of college community commitment. 

Languages:

English: TOEFL 108

French: Native

Chinese: Bilingual

Korea: Advanced

Japanese: Intermediate

German: Intermediate

Quantitative: Took macro, micro, quantitative methods, financial statistics

SOP: I have a story...

LOR: 2 professors (politics+defense), 1 former employer.

Questions:

- Given my low GPA and the fact that I will only have a year of experience, do I have shot at these IR programs ? 

- Thing is, you can do very little in France with a bachelor's degree, and it is very common for student to further continue studying right after undergrad. You can't get a proper "job" and swinging between internships or "special contracts" do not particularly help me stabilize my wallet. I know it is not the case in the US, but I am really trying to escape from the French system (new perspective, escape from elitist -go to this school to work for the gvt- kind of approach). 

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Jufarius87, thanks very much on the input. Was nervous about the multi score, but yes hope my GRE helps somewhat. Have taken courses in Stats for Social Science, 2 courses on probability, and single variable (As in all but one prob course). Got a B in Linear Algebra :/  You think it is worth addressing the C+ in optional essays (basically as a lesson in time management, was a difficult semester)? Do you have any input on which schools are better for quant study?

Best of luck on your admissions as well.

I dont think so. Its there and you passed. Again, unless you put on your SOP "I want to do the Economics/Development/Finance concentration AND go on for a Ph.D in the same" they will most likely focus on your grades for Single Variable, Stats and Economics. Everything else is cake (or at least I hope, I would have a much higher GPA without Game Theory, Differential Equations, Mathematical Logic etc.  :lol:  ). Its a personal call but I am choosing to have faith that these folks know their craft and will respect a *slightly* lower GPA from having taken relevant challenges in undergrad.

Edited by Jufarius87

Hey guys, Id appreciate it if could I get any insight on my profile for these schools I'm currently working on :

Programs:  Heinz, American, UMaryland.....All MPP

Undergraduate institution: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Undergraduate Degree: Math and Political Science with statistics minor

Undergraduate GPA:  3.15....2.8 in math, 3.5 in PoliSci

Study Abroad experience: Month in Vienna, Semester in London

GRE: Verbal: 166; Quant: 170 (AW 5)

Years Out of Undergrad: None

Years of Work Experience: None

SOP: Should be solid

LOR: 3 Professors(2 Poli sci, 1 Stats)

I have advanced statistics and intermediate economics under my belt, with good grades B/A's. What are my chances at the programs I listed above. Both getting in and getting scholarships/funding.

Edited by rhcp91

Programs: MPP
Schools:
GWU Trachtenberg, American U, UW Evans, Duke Sanford, Georgetown McCourt

Undergraduate institution: large state universtiy, top 40 public
Undergraduate Major: Political Science

Undergraduate GPA:  3.41 cumulative, 3.52 in major

GRE: 160 V 156 Q. 4 AW
Years Out of grad school (if applicable): 3+ years

Years of Work Experience: 2+ years of strategy consulting

Legislative Aide for a State Representative for just under a year

I've been in my current office (state energy office) for almost 3 years in various roles, with over a year as a policy analyst with a lot of responsabilty and programs with my name on them

SOP: Nothing yet, but it will be solid

LOR:

- My office's Executive Director will write a glowing and very personal letter

- I hope I'll be able to get an undergrad professor to write me one. I took 3 of his classes and did decent in them, he's an accomplished political science prof.

-I could get another very good letter from work

Edited by MJA87

Programs: MPP

Schools: GWU Trachtenberg, American U, UW Evans, Duke Sanford, Georgetown McCourt

Undergraduate institution: large state universtiy, top 40 public

Undergraduate Major: Political Science

Undergraduate GPA:  3.41 cumulative, 3.52 in major

GRE: 160 V 156 Q. 4 AW

Years Out of grad school (if applicable): 3+ years

Years of Work Experience: 2+ years of strategy consulting

Legislative Aide for a State Representative for just under a year

I've been in my current office (state energy office) for almost 3 years in various roles, with over a year as a policy analyst with a lot of responsabilty and programs with my name on them

SOP: Nothing yet, but it will be solid

LOR:

- My office's Executive Director will write a glowing and very personal letter

- I hope I'll be able to get an undergrad professor to write me one. I took 3 of his classes and did decent in them, he's an accomplished political science prof.

-I could get another very good letter from work

you are fine but to get better aid do try and take you gres again and up your quant you should get into gwu and american no problem but for gppi and duke a higher quant will help

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, Id appreciate to have your opinion. (All European Schools)

International student from Hong Kong 

Programs:  MPP : Oxford and Hertie, Development Studies : Cambridge, SciencesPo, IHEID. Latin American Studies : Oxford and Cambridge

Undergraduate institution: An internationally ranked uni in Hong Kong

Graduate Institution : One of most prestigious Unis in Latin America 

Undergraduate Degree: Bachelor in English Studies 

Graduate Degree : Master in South American Studies 

Undergraduate GPA:  Second Class Honors Upper Division

Graduate GPA : 9.27 out of 10 = Distinction.

Study Abroad experience: 0.5 year in Madrid and a few months in Canada and Australia 

GRE: No

Years Out of Undergrad: 3

Years of Work Experience: No but extensive internship and volunteering in the field 

- 9 months volunteering in slums in Peru

- 1 year volunteering in a regional NGO, executing projects in the field  

- Numerous internships in Consulate, local and regional NGOs and Think Tank

Languages:

English: IELTS 8

Spanish: Advanced

Cantonese: Native

Mandarin : Advanced 

Japanese: Advanced

Portuguese : Advanced 

Quantitative: None

SOP: explain clearly my career goals and  how the courses can help me accomplish them

LOR: from 3 very closed professors. All emphazied on my devotion to international development, academic excellence and language skills 

Thank you very much for your help 

Hey guys, Id appreciate to have your opinion. (All European Schools)

International student from Hong Kong 

Programs:  MPP : Oxford and Hertie, Development Studies : Cambridge, SciencesPo, IHEID. Latin American Studies : Oxford and Cambridge

Undergraduate institution: An internationally ranked uni in Hong Kong

Graduate Institution : One of most prestigious Unis in Latin America 

Undergraduate Degree: Bachelor in English Studies 

Graduate Degree : Master in South American Studies 

Undergraduate GPA:  Second Class Honors Upper Division

Graduate GPA : 9.27 out of 10 = Distinction.

Study Abroad experience: 0.5 year in Madrid and a few months in Canada and Australia 

GRE: No

Years Out of Undergrad: 3

Years of Work Experience: No but extensive internship and volunteering in the field 

- 9 months volunteering in slums in Peru

- 1 year volunteering in a regional NGO, executing projects in the field  

- Numerous internships in Consulate, local and regional NGOs and Think Tank

Languages:

English: IELTS 8

Spanish: Advanced

Cantonese: Native

Mandarin : Advanced 

Japanese: Advanced

Portuguese : Advanced 

Quantitative: None

SOP: explain clearly my career goals and  how the courses can help me accomplish them

LOR: from 3 very closed professors. All emphazied on my devotion to international development, academic excellence and language skills 

Thank you very much for your help 

Europe tends to look at grades and only at grades, when they state first class honours they mean it, but Latin American studies is an easier degree to get into at least in Oxbridge, for the rest you must be set. However, I do have to say that the US has much better Lat Am studies programs than Europe, I do recommend Berkeley, UT Austin, UCLA, USC and even Arizona State even over Oxbridge as Europe is just not focused enough.

Hi everyone, I'd love if I could get some feedback as to how to improve my chances for an application in the fall of 2014.

Programs of Interest: Johns Hopkins - SAIS, Georgetown - SSP, Tufts -Fletcher, Columbia - SIPA, Boston U - College of Arts and Sciences

Undergraduate institution: Syracuse University

Undergraduate Degree: BA in International Relations - Conflict and Diplomacy Track, Geographical focus on the Middle East

Undergraduate GPA:  3.38 cumulative, 3.56 major

Study Abroad experience: 6 months in Tel Aviv, Israel studying counter terrorism and Middle Eastern Affairs

GRE: 163 V, 156Q, 5.0 Writing

Years Out of Undergrad: 4.5

Years of Work Experience: 3.5

- Director of energy services department of a local non-profit

- Focus on community development

- Experience with housing, foreclosure intervention

- Multiple financial counseling certifications through HUD, as well as building science professional certifications

Languages:

English

Hebrew - Conversational 

French - Basic

SOP: In progress, but should be solid

LOR: One from a former congressman, two from professional sources 

I have a couple of concerns that I'd love some feedback on.

1.) My background in Econ is very limited. I took one econ course in undergrad and got a B+. Should I take one or more summer courses at a local institution to bolster my background there?

2.) I think that my languages are a weak point, as I'm not fluent in French or Hebrew. Should I take a course(s) in preparation of applying, or is that something that won't hurt my application?

3.) I'm 26 now - and assuming I apply for grad school in a year, it means I won't be starting until I'm almost 28. Will this adversely effect my chances as I'll be a bit older than the average student? I do have strong work experience, but this would be a change in careers. 

Thanks to all who can provide some insight, it is greatly appreciated.