The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the IR scene, having recently, late last year, decided to pursue a career change and would appreciate any input on whether I have a shot at some of these programs.  I'm primarily interested in international development (I'm in the process of doing a lot of researching and reading to tighten up my understanding of what that entails and, right now, envision myself being forward posted in a developing country to assist with development projects) and, while I'm still trying to finalize a list of programs to apply to, I will likely be taking a look at SAIS, SIPA, Fletcher, Georgetown, HKS, UCSD, & WWS among others.

Undergraduate Institution: UCSD

Undergrad GPA: 3.69

Undergrad Major: Management Science (Math heavy with a lot of Micro and Macro economics and econometrics)

Grad GPA / Major: 3.9 / Master's in Accountancy

GREs: 168 Verbal & 159 Quant

Work Experience:

My work experience is generally unrelated and a bit all over the place.  I did two years in the Army before college and another year deployed overseas with the National Guard as part of a NATO peacekeeping mission after my first two years of college.

After completing a degree in Accountancy, I worked with a Big 4 accounting firm for 2 years in their Assurance practice and I have a year in my current place of employment in the Internal Audit dept of a publicly listed corporation.  I am also a licensed Certified Public Accountant.

I guess I'm a bit concerned as I don't really have any work experience in the field and I'm a bit older, being in my early 30s (not sure if that will be a hindrance).

I was also looking at the Master's in Development Practice degrees and would appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts on that particular degree as it seems to be relatively new and there doesn't seem to be much information out there regarding what careers people have eventually matriculated into. 

Also, wondering, if people don't mind sharing, how many programs do people typically apply to in an application cycle?

Thanks for the help!

Hi everybody!! I am an international student (Brazilian) and I will be applying this fall to HKS (MPA/ID), SIPA (MPA-DP), WW (MPA/ID), and some others, but my preference is HKS. Here is my profile... Are my targets realistic?? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!

Schools I'm interested : HKS,WWS,SIPA

Undergraduate institution: Top university in Brazil
Undergraduate GPA: 3.2
Undergraduate Majors: Economics (minor in international relations)
Graduate institution: Top university in Brazil
Graduate GPA: 3.8
Graduate Majors: Economics.

GRE Quantitative Score: 163
GRE Verbal Score: 156
GRE AW Score: 4.0
Years of Work Experience: 3
Describe Relevant Work Experience:
Ministry of finance of Brazil. Very challenging job with increasing responsibilities. 
Quant : Undergraduate level - Statistics, Algebra, Analysis, Calculus, Econometrics, Micro and Macro. (all Bs)
             graduate level - Micro and macro (all As)

Further info

TOEFL: 110

Volunteer experience: 2 years in Brazilian slums called favelas.

Languages: Portuguese, English, Spanish, and some German

International experience: exchange to Europe for a semester during my undergrad. Plenty of travel around Latin America, Europe and Asia in the past 4 years.

LORs: I am pretty sure I can get 2 good letters at the Ministry, and a good letter at my university.

• 3 weeks later...

Please give me any feedback that you can.  I welcome all the help I can get!

Undergraduate institution: Top 15, USA

Undergraduate GPA: 2.05 (not a typo)
Undergraduate Majors: Molecular Biology & Bioinformatics

Graduate institution: Harvard Extension School

Graduate major: Biotechnology - Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (master's program)

Years of Work Experience: 5ish

- 1y research associate (current) for exciting startup in my field

- 1y research assistant (current) for major research hospital (thesis related).
- 2.5y research associate for high-prestige core lab in my field.

- 8mo research intern, undergraduate

- 3mo contract research assistant, small startup

Publication record:

None as of yet , but should have 2 (based off thesis research) and MAYBE 1 (based off work) by the time I apply.  Not sure of impact of journal, etc.

I have been acknowledged in a major PLoS paper, but alas acknowledgements count for nothing.  Read as: 0 publications.

Posters/Presentations:

1 poster presented at a popular global conference in my field

SOP: 

Will address low uGPA, upward trend, strong experience, and commitment to research.  

Letters:

Plan is to have letters from 1 grad prof (3 classes, all As), my thesis advisor, and a former boss.

GRE:
Take my GRE Saturday.  Will update with results.

Anything that you see that I can add here to attempt to compensate for my uGPA?

My unordered list is below which has been carefully selected from PIs that share my research interests.  I know there are some big names on there, but I'm hoping that some are within my range.

Thanks in advance!   

• yale  - microbiology (biological and biomedical science)
  • northeastern - biology
  • u conn - molecular and cellular bio: microbiology
  • u new hampshire - genetics
  • u toronto - molecular genetics
  • boston u - molecular biology, cell biology, and biochem (MCBB)
  • harvard - organismal and evolutionary biology OR molecules, cells, and organisms
  • u illinois uc - molecular and cellular biology
  • brown (collab with MBL) - computational molecular biology (igert program - reverse ecology, microbial & comparitive genomics initiative)
  • u mass amherst - molecular and cellular biology
  • u waterloo - biology
  • u georgia - microbiology OR genetics
  • u mass boston - molecular, cellular, and organismal biology
Edited by reformedlearner

Please give me any feedback that you can.  I welcome all the help I can get!

Undergraduate institution: Top 15, USA

Undergraduate GPA: 2.05 (not a typo)

Undergraduate Majors: Molecular Biology & Bioinformatics

Graduate institution: Harvard Extension School

Graduate major: Biotechnology - Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (master's program)

Years of Work Experience: 5ish

- 1y research associate (current) for exciting startup in my field

- 1y research assistant (current) for major research hospital (thesis related).

- 2.5y research associate for high-prestige core lab in my field.

- 8mo research intern, undergraduate

- 3mo contract research assistant, small startup

Publication record:

None as of yet , but should have 2 (based off thesis research) and MAYBE 1 (based off work) by the time I apply.  Not sure of impact of journal, etc.

I have been acknowledged in a major PLoS paper, but alas acknowledgements count for nothing.  Read as: 0 publications.

Posters/Presentations:

1 poster presented at a popular global conference in my field

SOP: 

Will address low uGPA, upward trend, strong experience, and commitment to research.  

Letters:

Plan is to have letters from 1 grad prof (3 classes, all As), my thesis advisor, and a former boss.

GRE:

Take my GRE Saturday.  Will update with results.

Anything that you see that I can add here to attempt to compensate for my uGPA?

My unordered list is below which has been carefully selected from PIs that share my research interests.  I know there are some big names on there, but I'm hoping that some are within my range.

Thanks in advance!   

• yale  - microbiology (biological and biomedical science)
  • northeastern - biology
  • u conn - molecular and cellular bio: microbiology
  • u new hampshire - genetics
  • u toronto - molecular genetics
  • boston u - molecular biology, cell biology, and biochem (MCBB)
  • harvard - organismal and evolutionary biology OR molecules, cells, and organisms
  • u illinois uc - molecular and cellular biology
  • brown (collab with MBL) - computational molecular biology (igert program - reverse ecology, microbial & comparitive genomics initiative)
  • u mass amherst - molecular and cellular biology
  • u waterloo - biology
  • u georgia - microbiology OR genetics
  • u mass boston - molecular, cellular, and organismal biology

This is the Government Affairs forum.  You should post in a science forum.

Hello,

I am planning on applying to some Policy programs for Fall 2014, focusing on social policy. Ultimately, I want to work in advocacy, particularly for children and families in under served communities.  I was wondering if anyone has any advice or opinions regarding a few concerns I have about my package. I've underlined areas of concern below:

Undergraduate institution: top 25 US University

GPA: 3.14 (although 3.4 in final 2.5 years)

Major: Government, Minor: English

GRE: 159Q, 165V, 5W

other: first generation college graduate, female 

Experience: I've been working in the legal field for 2 years, not much (read zero) direct experience in policy, although some pro bono work on various social policy issues (Veteran's affairs, asylum etc). I have several years of volunteer/internship experience in education and social advocacy prior to graduation that I plan on emphasizing on my SOP. So while it isn't directly policy, I do have fairly extensive exposure to many issue areas on the ground level.

Recommendations: I have one recommendation from an attorney at my current job and one from a program manager at an organization I volunteered with in social advocacy (for which I served on a national advisory board). I'm not worried about these but I am worried about an academic rec. I was very shy in college and never managed to form any close relationships with professors. I've asked a professor with whom I took two courses, including a seminar on education policy. I am worried that he won't remember me, and his recommendation (if he even agrees to write it) will not be great.

I also somehow managed to finish undergrad without taking econ classes. I just finished a macro class with an A and have registered for micro in the spring (However, it is only from a small community college). I also did poorly in the statistics class I took in college, (C+ in one of those first three semesters) which worries me. Is it worth mentioning that I would plan on taking it again before enrollment?

Schools I am either definitely applying to or considering:

GW

GMU

UMD

American

Brandeis Heller

NYU Wagner

USC Price

UChicago Harris

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi all, I'm currently a fourth year undergrad at a top public university, and am looking for some wisdom. I'm applying to SAIS, Elliott, American, and SFS for Master's programs in Middle Eastern/Arab Studies, not intending to take a gap year.

Majors: Foreign Affairs/Arabic, Minor: History

GPA: 3.55

GRE: Q: 154 V: 158 AW: 3.0

Classes taken are relevant to the programs in consideration

I've spent a number of hours volunteering/tutoring at local hospitals/elementary schools, and spent a week in Arizona volunteering with the Forest Service.

I'm fluent in the Lebanese dialect of Arabic, and an advanced student of MSA. I've been to the Middle East several times for lengthy periods and studied Arabic there for a short time.

I'm president of the Lebanese club at my university and a mentor for incoming Middle Eastern students.

I have one 6-month State Dept internship under my belt but nothing else relevant to my studies.

I should have at least two solid LORs from Arabic professor and politics professor.

Basically wondering how I stack up/looking for advice.

Thanks!

Yoda,

Anything is of course possible but I don't know if your GPA/GRE are strong enough for straight out of undergrad. With some work experience, you'd be fine but in general only a small percentage go straight form undergrad and from what I've heard we're talking much higher GPAs and and GREs. 

Yoda,

Anything is of course possible but I don't know if your GPA/GRE are strong enough for straight out of undergrad. With some work experience, you'd be fine but in general only a small percentage go straight form undergrad and from what I've heard we're talking much higher GPAs and and GREs. 

I disagree with you on Yoda's GPA and GRE scores but agree with you that more work experience could definitely help him.  A 3.5 GPA may be strong enough, especially if he did really well in his major.  SAIS and Georgetown may be long shots right now but GW and American could be within reach.

Does anyone have more information on region specific programs?  I'm not talking about concentrations within general IR programs but actual programs that focus on a specific region.

Hello all,

I have been following these forums for some time already and now decided to get your opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of my application. I am open to honest advice. Thanks!

Programs: MPP and IR schools

Schools: HKS, WWS, SAIS, SIPA, Fletcher, Georgetown, Stanford, Goldman, Yale Jackson, UMich Ford, LSE

ALSO: If I could get into one of these programs, I would also like to try my chances at a dual degree with JD (I am well aware of the fact that it is a big IF)

Undergraduate institution: A second-tier university in Turkey with strong faculty in my fields.

Undergraduate Major: Chinese/Russian Translation Studies

Double Major: International Relations (still have a semester left for this major, which I will finish in Germany -Erasmus) 

Minor: International Trade

Undergraduate GPA:  3.94 for Chinese/Russian, 4.00 for International Relations (in Turkey they are calculated separately).

GRE: 161 V 161 Q. AW not out yet, but expecting a score between 4-5.

TOEFL: Had 110/120 five years ago. Going to retake it in 2 weeks.

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 1 at the time of matriculation

Years of Work Experience: Well, kind of depends on whether 5 years of solid volunteer experience in addition to freelance translation & interpretation counts or not. If not, then I had only 1 year of work-study experience, accompanied by a 3-month internship in Brussels.

5 years of volunteer experience at the Turkish branch of a US based exchange study organization, which I also participated in.

5 years of freelance translation & interpretation - mainly trade & business related 

2 years volunteer experience for the local youth theater - performing Turkish political satires, free for public

1 year work-study at the international office of my university

3-month internship at a Brussels-based political consultancy

+I also taught English to Chinese kids (aged 4-9) but I am not sure if this is relevant? Any advice?

+ Possibly and hopefully another 6-month public policy related traineeship in Brussels before matriculation

Study Abroad Experiences (P.S. I'm not the son of a diplomat etc.):

3 years in Cyprus in middle school

1 year in USA in high school (with US Government scholarship)

1,5 years in China in undergrad (with Chinese Government scholarship)

0,5  year in Germany with Erasmus funds (I am at this phase atm)

Languages: 

Turkish: Native

English: Fluent

Chinese: Fluent

Russian: Intermediate

German: Learning

Quantitative: Never took quantitative courses in undergrad. I am now enrolled in micro and macro courses of Oxford Online, and selected 2 econ courses for my last semester in Germany.

SOP: Haven't started yet. Got some nice ideas though.

LOR:

1 from the head of IR department at my school, who had a sabbatical in HKS couple of years ago.

1 from another faculty, Columbia Law alumnus.

Can't decide the person for the 3rd letter. Faculty or employer, any advice?

Negatives: 

• Quantitative background is certainly lacking, but I am working on it.
  • Apart from the volunteer background, full-time work experience can also be considered "not enough" but, by the time of the matriculation, I am hoping to land another 6-months internship in public service.
  • Not sure about my GRE scores. On the one hand, they are certainly not stellar, on the other hand they are in the "range" of most of the schools I am considering.

Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts,

G

I would advise a third letter from a practitioner - MPPs are professional degrees after all. 

Your GRE should be fine, it is just one aspect of your application - and imho, it is far from being the most important factor. What matters is, as you said, to be in the range of what they would expect.

You seem to be competitive enough, I am pretty sure you will get into at least one of those programs. 

Schools I'm interested in so far:  Harvard Kennedy (MPP), JHU SAIS, Chicago Harris, Georgetown Security Studies Program, Columbia SIPA, Tufts Fletcher.  I'm probably leaning towards SAIS at this point.  The Georgetown Security Studies Program seems pretty interesting, but I think I would feel more comfortable if there were some serious economics in the mix as well (not to mention language classes as part of the normal curriculum), so the SAIS Strategic Studies concentration seems pretty much exactly what I am looking for.

Undergraduate institution: University of Iowa 
Undergraduate GPA: 3.88

Undergraduate Majors: B.A. Political Science (Honors) and Economics (straight As in Principles and Intermediate classes, as well as A+s in International Econ and Advanced International Econ)

GRE Quantitative Score: 158

GRE Verbal Score: 170
GRE AW Score: 5.5

I'm considering a retake to boost my quant score.  I think it's good enough for admissions to most of the places I want to go, but if spending another $185 on a retake might turn into a few grand later in funding, it would definitely be worth it.  I studied some, but there is definitely a lot more I could do.

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 6

Years of Work Experience: 1 year working as a manager for a non-profit environmental group, 5 years (currently) enlisted in the Navy including a year in Djibouti, as well as four years working for a 3-Star. A bit worried that being enlisted as opposed to being an officer will hurt me some, but hopefully the admissions offices will see it as a boost in diversity...

Languages: Russian (four years in high school, two years in college, but at this point I would probably be a novice.  Thinking about brushing up on my own with it.)

Activities:

• 60 hours teaching English to children in Djibouti
  • Active in Big Brothers/Big Sisters

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Pretty strong, I think.  Not sure which ones I'll have where yet, but in my stable I'll have my UG thesis advisor, a UK Army Colonel, a US Army Colonel, two US Navy Captains, a Navy Lieutenant Commander, and a couple of Navy Chiefs, all of whom I've worked for and have a strong relationship with.

Edited by jct329

I'm with s1lent - does anyone have any knowledge about how much it hurts to come from a lower-tier public undergrad institution? My undergraduate school, perhaps like s1lent's, is a massive Division 1 institution that offers a stellar academic experience and honors program to those who seek it out, however it's also the type of giant state school that accepts pretty much anyone in the state that made it through high school. How much does that hurt?

Hello, Thank you so much for posting this thread. I really have my heart set of the AM (similar to MSW)/MPP dual degree for University of Chicago. My concern is my competitiveness for Harris- I have little quant experience (I got my undergrad degree in Social Work and quant wasn't part of the program. GPA:3.4 (higher if you just look at just my major) BS- Social Work, BA- Visual Art & New Media, minor-psychology (member of Psi Chi Honors Society), honors program member of my college. GRE score: Haven't taken GRE yet Work experience: 1.5 years working as a case manager for Medicaid recipients. I'm currently serving in the Peace corps, which is a 2 year commitment. I also have one year of internship experience through my social work department. Also, in college, I was a resident assistant for 3 years and president of my college's women's student union for 2.5 years Language skills: English (native), Spanish (Intermediate), Lhukonzo (African bantu language)- intermediate, French (beginner) Quantitative requirements: I've only taken 1 econ class and 2 math (one basic and another statistics). This is my worry! Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): I'm currently in Uganda in Peace Corps. I went to Ghana twice (once as a summer course, and once I helped plan the academic trip as an internship). I also did one of my social work internships in Ireland working with gypsies. Is the lack of quant really going to hurt me for admission? Since I'm abroad right now, taking an online class isn't really possible (internet access isn't dependable enough where I am). Any input would be helpful!

I'm with s1lent - does anyone have any knowledge about how much it hurts to come from a lower-tier public undergrad institution? My undergraduate school, perhaps like s1lent's, is a massive Division 1 institution that offers a stellar academic experience and honors program to those who seek it out, however it's also the type of giant state school that accepts pretty much anyone in the state that made it through high school. How much does that hurt?

I would recommend that you look at the old Government Affairs Wrap-Up threads.  People used those forums to describe the strength of their applications and their overall results.

Overall I think it is is better to do excellent at a lower tier school than to do poorly/about average at a top school.  It really depends on the strength of your application as well.

I realize I don't have GRE scores yet, but let's assume I get good but not outstanding scores (at least for the quant, which I am less confident in), do I have a chance at these schools? If not the likes of HKS/WWS, then the others? How much does coming from a lower-tier undergrad institution hurt you?

Do folks have recommendations for other good MPP or IR programs that have a well-respected East Asia/China focus? UMichigan offers a dual MPP/MA in China Studies--does anyone else offer this?

Sorry for all the questions, and I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

1) Check the old Government Affairs Wrap-Up threads for answers to your first question.  I think you'll at least get into GWU Elliott and American SIS because of your high GPA and work experience but I'm not on an admissions committee.

2) UC San Diego's School of International Relations and Pacific Studies is highly respected and dedicated solely to the Asia Pacific region.  It is also in California so you can avoid a couple of cold East Coast winters.  

Edited by mrgreen102

I know folks from every assortment of public institution that has applied to and been accepted (a few with full funding) to these "elite" institutions. It's all in how you approach the application process. You have to have the scores to make your self competitive. Even more so, though, you have to be of a mind that you not only deserve to be at said institution, but that the institution would be short-selling itself by NOT having you there. That's when they start throwing money at you to come to their school. ;)

Simply put, don't try to explain away this notion of having attended a "lower-tier" institution (no higher education institution is of a low-tier imho), in your head. That messes with your psyche AND it's bad juju. Both of those things are vitally important. Talk about all the things you've done and why you felt you had to them and for whom you wanted the impact to be felt. Talk about the things you're going to do while attending their institution. Talk about the things you're going to accomplish after kicking butt at their institution. That's the recipe for success. At least, from my experience.

Don't agonize over the elements you can't control. There are variables the public at large isn't privy to that change every year. We'll never know the formula. Be the unique applicant that the ADCOM wants to add to their cohort of other unique folks. That's what's going to get you into the school of your dreams. 

Good luck!

Edited by Damis

Hello!

I am looking into applying to MPA and Community Development programs for Fall 2014. I'm particularly interested in civic engagement, community development, and technology in government (Gov 2.0, open government).

I was hoping to get some feedback on my stats, specifically my GRE scores.

Thanks!

Schools I'm interested in so far: Syracuse Maxwell MPA, UVM MPA, Loyola MS Dual Degree in Community Dev/Social Justice and Social Work, NYU Wagner MPA, CMU Heinz MPA, and Indiana SPEA MPA.

Undergraduate institution: Saint Michael's College - small LAC
Undergraduate GPA: 3.52. Very good trajectory with 4.0 in final semester.

Undergraduate Major: B.A. French Minor in Linguistics

GRE Quantitative Score: 148

GRE Verbal Score: 161
GRE AW Score: 4

I'm highly considering retaking as my quant. score is abysmally low. I hadn't taken a math course since high school and did not study enough. I'm happy with my verbal score. I guess I just need a kick in the pants, and someone to say "yes, you definitely should retake". I'm also planning on taking some courses in prob stats and macroeconomics/microeconomics in the spring and summer.

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2 as of August 2014. Graduated in 2012

Years of Work Experience: 2 as of August 2014. I will have served for two years as an AmeriCorps VISTA in city government (community services dept.). My position focused on volunteer management and fundraising (grant writing, donations) and has now shifted to include more civic engagement efforts. I also manage the city's community gardens program.

Languages: French

Activities: AmeriCorps; board member of a local non-profit.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I haven't asked yet, but I could easily get recs from the city manager, my supervisor, and a professor.

Strength of SOP: TBH, I have yet to start it. I've just begun thinking about this program this summer. I believe I would focus on my AmeriCorps service such as my accomplishments, its affect on me, and how it has shaped what I want to do in the future.

Edited by Alaina13

Hello!

I am looking into applying to MPA and Community Development programs for Fall 2014. I'm particularly interested in civic engagement, community development, and technology in government (Gov 2.0, open government).

I was hoping to get some feedback on my stats, specifically my GRE scores.

Thanks!

Schools I'm interested in so far: Syracuse Maxwell MPA, UVM MPA, Loyola MS Dual Degree in Community Dev/Social Justice and Social Work, NYU Wagner MPA, CMU Heinz MPA, and Indiana SPEA MPA.

Undergraduate institution: Saint Michael's College - small LAC

Undergraduate GPA: 3.52. Very good trajectory with 4.0 in final semester.

Undergraduate Major: B.A. French Minor in Linguistics

GRE Quantitative Score: 148

GRE Verbal Score: 161

GRE AW Score: 4

I'm highly considering retaking as my quant. score is abysmally low. I hadn't taken a math course since high school and did not study enough. I'm happy with my verbal score. I guess I just need a kick in the pants, and someone to say "yes, you definitely should retake". I'm also planning on taking some courses in prob stats and macroeconomics/microeconomics in the spring and summer.

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2 as of August 2014. Graduated in 2012

Years of Work Experience: 2 as of August 2014. I will have served for two years as an AmeriCorps VISTA in city government (community services dept.). My position focused on volunteer management and fundraising (grant writing, donations) and has now shifted to include more civic engagement efforts. I also manage the city's community gardens program.

Languages: French

Activities: AmeriCorps; board member of a local non-profit.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I haven't asked yet, but I could easily get recs from the city manager, my supervisor, and a professor.

Strength of SOP: TBH, I have yet to start it. I've just begun thinking about this program this summer. I believe I would focus on my AmeriCorps service such as my accomplishments, its affect on me, and how it has shaped what I want to do in the future.

Your Quantitative score is very low, Verbal is satisfactory for the best programs though. AWA is OK - but then,  as you know they have a holistic approach to your application (unless they have cut-off GRE scores, which I have no information regarding those schools).

(edit) PS: You should definitely retake it :-) Improving Quant is easier than improving Verbal, you can do it. And that would be an occasion to improve your AWA - in all cases with the new Select-Score Option, they will only see the results of your best GRE.  

Edited by justsomeguy75

Hello, Thank you so much for posting this thread. I really have my heart set of the AM (similar to MSW)/MPP dual degree for University of Chicago. My concern is my competitiveness for Harris- I have little quant experience (I got my undergrad degree in Social Work and quant wasn't part of the program. GPA:3.4 (higher if you just look at just my major) BS- Social Work, BA- Visual Art & New Media, minor-psychology (member of Psi Chi Honors Society), honors program member of my college. GRE score: Haven't taken GRE yet Work experience: 1.5 years working as a case manager for Medicaid recipients. I'm currently serving in the Peace corps, which is a 2 year commitment. I also have one year of internship experience through my social work department. Also, in college, I was a resident assistant for 3 years and president of my college's women's student union for 2.5 years Language skills: English (native), Spanish (Intermediate), Lhukonzo (African bantu language)- intermediate, French (beginner) Quantitative requirements: I've only taken 1 econ class and 2 math (one basic and another statistics). This is my worry! Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): I'm currently in Uganda in Peace Corps. I went to Ghana twice (once as a summer course, and once I helped plan the academic trip as an internship). I also did one of my social work internships in Ireland working with gypsies. Is the lack of quant really going to hurt me for admission? Since I'm abroad right now, taking an online class isn't really possible (internet access isn't dependable enough where I am). Any input would be helpful!

reposting verbatim is unlikely to increase the chances of  a response.

• 2 weeks later...

First, thank you for taking the time to respond.  I am not worried about being competitive, just need some advice.

After having read through a variety of posts on here, it's pretty clear that this is mostly geared towards DC/Federal jobs or non-profits.  I am specifically looking for advice on attending an online MPA program for with a focus on Public Administration, Budgeting or Local Government. Let me give you some details:

I am a librarian with 9 years of progressively responsible management experience in a mid-size system. 

Currently I am in charge of three libraries, 30 people and a purchasing budget of about 150k. 

I am 35, married, two kids with one on the way. 

I already have an Master's in Library Science from a well respected institution (in my field) and I graduated with a 3.8.

I took the GRE 11 years ago so I probably have to retake it unless I get a waiver for work experience/prior masters.

My goal for the MPA is two-fold:

1.  Library Directorship - This is the main goal for now.  I am at least 5 years out in my estimation.  Normally many in my discipline will scoff at the idea of requiring more than an MLIS to get a top job, but just looking at the biggest people as far as libraries go and it's pretty obvious - the last two heads of the New York Public Library were not librarians - and looking at the posts for Library Directors makes it pretty obvious that they are looking for something the average librarian doesn't get through work experience or through an MLIS - specifically executive administrative experience and budgeting/finance.

2.  Expand my skillset for jobs elsewhere in government - This is a "who moved my cheese" type of goal.  While I still do a good amount of librarian related activities, most of my time is spent with personnel, policy, planning, perfomance evaluations and interacting with other agencies.  While I think those skills make me a solid contender anywhere in government as a mid-range manager having an MPA would make it easier to convince a hiring board that I have what it takes.  Should something happen - like say Miami-Dade library system cutting its branches and staff in half - I don't want to be stuck in a small market with limited visibility.

I am looking into SPEA, MPA@UNC, Denver, Nebraska as online programs.  Also considering USF and FIT online MPA programs as they are close to me.  UCF is also close, but they require at least a few classes face to face which would be very difficult for me to pull off.  They do, however, have an online Master of Science in Non-Profit Management.

What I need to know is what schools are worth going to? -  I mean, I already have a decade of work history and a good network of professionals in my field so pedigree seems to have lesser importance.  What I am looking for is gaining skills to get me higher in my career.  I am not interested in moving to DC and working for a think tank.  If I had to choose a career outside of librarianship, it would likely be working as or with a City/County Manager or heading up a branch of State Government or perhaps working for a hospital in medical docs.  Does a better rank school really make the difference in this case?

Also, the above schools that I have looked into have fairly flexible programs.  I am looking at 3-4 years before getting my degree.  I was surprised to learn of the varying credit hour requirements, from 36 to 72?? (University of Washington).  Are there better schools than what I listed for a person in my position - 3 kids, working, etc?

Edited by shevell

Schools applying to:

Tufts Fletcher

Georgetown MSFS

University of Washington - Evans

Possibly GWU Elliott

GPA:

Studied Law in King's College London. Graduated with a 2:1 honours. I don't expect my GPA to be more than 3.1/3.2

GRE Score:

1st Attempt: 152 Quant, 156 Verbal (waiting for the AW scores)

Planning for a second attempt.

Work experience:

slightly less than 2 years in a law firm in Singapore. Also spent a year in India after graduating and worked for a think-tank for about 3 months. Apart from that, have interned for an NGO working towards the abolition of child labour in rural India. 

I would say nothing substantive apart from a few months' internships in the non-profit sector in India. 

Language skills

Native speaker of Hindi

Intermediate knowledge of French. Am working on this right now, to get it upto par with grad school requirements. 

Quantitative requirements:
Really none, apart from High School Maths and high school macro/microecons. That was almost 7 years back though ! 

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching):
I have interned at a think-tank in New Delhi as well as rural areas in central India. In total I have spent about 5 months doing so. Not sure if that's good enough. 

Statement of Purpose:
Should be alright, as I am quite good at writing ! 

Recommendations:

One is a Human Rights Law professor, one is a Rhodes Scholar, and one was a lecturer in my college. 

Hello! I'm currently looking at MID/MPP/MPA programs in top schools. I have a pretty average student profile but I'am looking to improve this by gaining international experience and taking courses in math, economics and research methods. 

My profile:

• Undergrad GPA: 3.44 (U.S. News Top 20 Regional Universities-South) - Majored in international studies and Spanish with a concentration in developing nations. Studied in Ecuador for the summer.
  • Languages: Fluent in Spanish (I was born in the Dominican Republic)
  • Extracurricular Activities: 1)Strong leadership experience on campus, especially in the Latino community. 2)Volunteered with Latino non-profits.
  • Experience Abroad: 1)Mission trip to Haiti. 2)Currently have a one year contract to teach English in Korea. Hired by the Korean government.
  • GRE Score: Have not taken it, yet.

I just recently graduated, so I'm looking to gain work experience before I apply. I'm currently interested in the University of Chicago, Columbia, Georgetown, George Washington and Harvard (wishful thinking?  :lol: ). Am I being too naive with being this ambitious?

Anyone have any tips to beef up my profile? Any particular fellowships? I'm currently applying for a Fulbright ETA, but I'm currently looking for other opportunities. 

Thanks!  :D

Guys, have been reading the cafe for a while now. Your inputs on my profile will be really helpful. I am planning to apply for Fall 2014

Programs: MPA / PhD (considering whether I should do an MPA first and then try a PhD or go for PhD directly)
Schools: MPA - Fletcher, WWS, Maxwell; PhD - HKS, MIT,
BU, Georgetown, Rutgers, George Mason (the area I am considering for research is at cross roads between political science and public admin)

Undergraduate institution: A good engineering college in India
Undergraduate Major: Information Technology

Undergraduate GPA:  70% (which corresponds to top 5% in the University

Graduate institution:  IIM Ahmedabad (Premier B School in Asia)
Graduate Major:
Business Administration

Undergraduate GPA:  2.9 (it is a percentile system...corresponds to top 30% in the batch)

GRE: 158 V 164 Q. 4 AW

TOEFL: 111/120
Years Out of grad school (if applicable): 5+ years

Years of Work Experience: 5+ years of strategy consulting

During the 5 years as a strategy consultant, worked on several nation building consulting projects which include

- Conceptualization and pre-feasibility of a new economic city to be developed in Bahrain (the project has been approved by The Parliament of Bahrain)

- Master Planning and Governance study for one of the largest global petrochemical complex to be developed in Malaysia

- Innovation Policy workshop for Emirates Competitiveness Council in UAE

- Investment strategy in renewable energy for Saudia Arabia

- Multiple projects for private sector clients in steel, turbine manufacturing, telecommunications, real estate and energy

Also worked for 4 months with the Performance Management Division in the Prime Ministers Office in India for setting up India's government performance management system. This was a voluntary project that I undertook taking a sabbatical from my consulting company

Study Abroad Experiences :

4 months in an international exchange program at University of Mannheim, Germany

Languages: 

English: Fluent

Hindi (and 2 other Indian languages): Native

Spanish: Beginner

Quantitative: Been good at Quant. Was selected for Indian National Mathematical Olympiad. Have scored very well in advanced statistical courses taken during my engineering. Have done Micro (with poor grades) and Macro (with good grades) at my B School

SOP: Have a story. Still formulating it

LOR:

1 from my faculty at IIM who I worked closely and published a case study on Government Performance Management

2 from Managers at my consulting company

Questions: 

• I have been away from academics for a while and I do not have sufficient academic papers to showcase my ability for a PhD
  • Do you guys think my profile is good enough to get into Political Economy PhD programs at places like Harvard, MIT, etc. (still researching schools with my research interests) or do you think I should try to get into a MPA program and try from there (the advantage of the latter is that I can pull out in case I dont feel I am cut out for PhD)
  • What do you think are my chances with the MPA programs at Fletcher, WWS and Maxwell
  • Do I need to retake the GRE...how much is the 158 in Verbal and 4 in AW going to hurt me
  • If I am to do an MPA, I would like to do it from institutions which provide a lot of scholarships and are either a 1 yr program or allow for transfering credits from the Masters to a PhD program - which are the other institutions that I should look up?
  • Any suggestions on how I can put across that my GPA at grad school isnt bad (it is nowhere similar to the 2.9 you get on a US grade scale) without sounding like giving excuses

Will really appreciate your frank inputs