The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

My line of thought is that by getting a PhD in IF with a focus on China I am employable as both an academic and a think tanker.

Thank you for this suggestion. Is this absolutely necessary? I ask because this would require I enroll in a university as a self-funded, non-major student for a semester or two. This is not ideal as I'd like to begin an MA/PhD program fall 2014. (I'm currently finishing my stint in China, so enrolling now or next semester is not an option.)

Taking introductory macroeconomics and introductory microeconomics courses are not necessary for every international affairs professional program but it definitely gives you more options.  I know that Georgetown MSFS, John Hopkins SAIS, Columbia SIPA, and GWU Elliott require applicants to take those classes.  Here are two Asia focused policy programs that seem like they are right up your alley.  They are both good programs but they are not in Washington, D.C. or New York:

1) UC San Diego School of International Relations and Pacific Studies

2) University of British Columbia Master of Asia Pacific Policy Studies

Ok guys, I have some updated info for you guys, what er my chances now :) :

Undergraduate institution: University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Undergraduate GPA: 3.25 (One semester left with mostly policy classes on my final schedule)

Undergraduate Majors: B.A. Recreation/ Sport Mgmt with Business Minor

GRE Quantitative Score: 158 practice test (74th percentile)
GRE Verbal Score: 155 (64th percentile) WILL IMPROVE
GRE AW Score: Graded myself so N/A but I believe I will get a 4.5+
Taking it this summer, but I am generally a good test taker

Years Out of Undergrad: Plan to go straight through (internships every summer of course) I graduate in fall so technically 8months out of school if admitted
Years of Work Experience: No full-time experience but have been employed since I was sixteen

Describe Relevant Work Experience:

Currently interning as the Resource Development and Grants Intern for the Maryland-National Capital Park Planning Commission for 3 months this summer. So far I have research funding opportunities, and began working on grant proposals. This is the #1 Parks and Rec Agency in the country. This experience is especially unique because I am housed in-office with park planners, landscape architects, division chiefs, deputy directors etc. They have allowed to sit in on their meetings and have invited me to lunch to give me a truly holistic experience. I am literally seeing from every angle how this Quasi-public government agency is operating, from the ground on up. We serve over 2 million people between two counties and the northern DC area. This has really inspired me to pursue the dual MUP degree (even though it is park planning, the framework is generally similar).

Interned for the Lansing,MI Dept of Parks and Recreation (part of mayor's office) and organized city wide track events, fourth of July festival, supervised summer camp counselors,etc. I Also wrote a grant for them that was approved for $6,000 from Jackson National Life Mortgage. This grant required me to do budget analysis and ended up saving the department's scholarship program so that low-income kids could continue participate in programming. Also garnered sponsorships for upcoming activities guide

Facilities manager for the RecSports Division of Student life. Manage between four buildings and also supervise a full student staff under me. Startes as an entry-level employee and now hold the highest position an undergrad can have. I also personally evaluate my employees biannually.

Served as Pre-College Mentor for past two summers for a two week college institute for students from at-risk high schools in Knoxville

Languages: English (I am interested in domestic policy)

Activities:
Single undergraduate member of the RecSports Endowment Fund Committee
Member of Dean of College Of Ed, Health, Human Sciences' Advisory Board
Member of Mu Rho chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated (Chapter of the Year 4x in a row)
Member of NIRSA and TIRSA
Member of NRPA (Attended 2012 Congress in Anaheim on my own funds)
Member of TRPA (Awarded $1,000 scholarship for leading student in field)
Member of ICMA
Member of Adidas Partners in Sports
Member of Phi Theta Sigma National Honor Society

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Will recieve LOR's from top Chapter 13 Attorney in Detroit, Dean of my college, And Director of MNCPPC (one of the top Park/Rec Departments in nation). I am also in the process of founding an Out-of-State Student Association here at UTK.

Other: I aspire to become one of the leading officials for park/recreation development and land use in a large city (municipal) and maybe move on to a federal level. Because the fields are so closely related, if I am admitted into a dual MUP/MPA(MPP) program I will look into city and community management also. Michigan is my #1 not only bc I get in-state tuition but also because I would like to be involved/closely monitor the crucial redevelopment of downtown Detroit. Part of the reason I want to get my MPA or MPP is the diversity of the degree. I need to be further educated on quantitative strategies to determine things such as cost recovery, sustainibility, etc in order to make informed choices, especially because governments use tax-supported dollars (you cannot develop faster than you can recover).

I believe that my specific work and internship experience and ability to write grants will help me. Also, I do not volunteer very much because I work 20+ hours per week and fund myself. I also funded my own trip to the NRPA conference in Anaheim,CA from Knoxville (And will do the same for Houston this year). I also hope to get to Boston for the ICMA Conference. Lastly, I am a black male, if that helps.

My schools I will be applying to:
1.Michigan Ford MPP/ Taubman MUP
2.U of Washington Evans MPA/dual MUP
3.University of Maryland MPP
4.USC Price MPP/MUP
5. University of Wisconsin MPA/ maybe dual MUP)

Other possibilities (maybe 2 more schools): Texas A&M, Ohio State, Rutgers

Do I have a realistic chance of getting in? If so, what are my chances of gaining any funding? (I will do anything from being a Teaching assistant, research assistant,etc.)I have about four months to get my application stronger so any suggestions are great! Once again THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

Edited by jwaller2

Hi All,

Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring and see what you all think. I'm looking at programs for fall 2014. I have a lot of health related work experience at the moment, and for a while I was strongly considering an MPH, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm actually more interested in coming at health issues from an IR/human rights perspective and I'd like to eventually develop a focus around the intersection of health, gender, and immigration/refugee issues. 

Any programs you would suggest? Thoughts about my background? (As a side note, I'm considering NYU in large part because my father is on staff there, so I could get free tuition, which is a serious draw. However, I suspect I have a chance to get into a slightly better ranked program. Although maybe I'm wrong there? Also, because I'm currently working, in an related capacity, at Georgetown, I'm crossing my fingers that might help me with SFS)

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MIA/MIR (Possibly MPP at HKS?)
Schools Applying To: (All a very prelim. list) HKS, Fletcher, Georgetown, GW, AU New School, NYU, SIPA, SAIS, Harris

Undergraduate institution: Mount Holyoke College 
Undergraduate GPA: 3.89 PBK
Undergraduate Majors: Politics

GRE Quantitative Score: 166
GRE Verbal Score: 156

GRE AW Score: 5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3 (+ a gap year before college)
Years of Work Experience: 4
Describe Relevant Work Experience: 1 year as a case worker at an immigrant health clinic, (the case worker job plus my gap year position were both part of 2 different AmeriCorps programs) 1 year teaching english in Spain as a Fulbright Scholar, 1 year working in health policy research at georgetown, UG internship at a refugee organization in Ecuador, Semester Abroad in Mexico (with research experience)

Languages: Fluent Spanish, intermediate Arabic

Quant: 1 semester of stats (A) and 2 semesters of Econ (pass fail)

Strength of SOP: Nothing written yet, but I am a very strong writer, so I feel good about my chances for making my case here
Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I definitely have a UG politics professor who loves me and who would write me a great reference and I feel pretty confident that I could get good references from my recent bosses. 

Edited by pulpoperdida42

If you're interested in health issues, you might consider the Graduate Institute in Geneva as well. With the WHO right here, we have a lot of people focusing on health, and also a really good gender program.

Hi! I'd love to get some thoughts from people on this forum, though I know that these things are always a little subjective.  I'm in the category where I have great work experience, good undergrad GPA, strong verbal score, but slightly lower than average quant score and very light on quantitative classes in college (as in, I took the Macro/Micro intro sequence, A in Macro, Micro was pass/fail and I passed,  but no other courses related to Math. They weren't required at my college, and of course, as an undergrad, I was dumb and didn't think ahead to grad school applications!).  I'm planning to take an intro statistics course this summer at Graduate School USA in DC, which is an accredited course, and I may try to take another course in the fall. 

Schools I'm interested in: Princeton Woodrow Wilson, Syracuse Maxwell, SIPA, SAIS, Georgetown SFS, Indiana School of Public Affairs, Harvard Kennedy School, Tufts Fletcher School 

Program: MPA or equivalent program 

Undergraduate institution: Smith College

Undergraduate GPA: 3.8 (cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) 

Undergraduate Majors: B.A. in Government, with a focus on IR and Middle East studies 

GRE Quantitative Score: 153 
GRE Verbal Score: 169
GRE AW Score: I just took the GRE's, so no score on this yet, but I expect it to be in 90th percentile area

Years Out of Undergrad: 4

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I think this is the strongest part of my application. Since graduating from undergrad I've been working at the State Department, first on Middle East Peace issues and now on Political-Military Affairs.  I've been a staff assistant and a special assistant, working directly for the top people in each issue area (though not on the Secretary or Deputy Secretary's staffs). It's been great experience, I have a wide range of responsibilities and I've gotten to travel with my bosses, sit in on all their meetings, and a learn a lot about real world diplomacy.  I'm currently looking for one more job in government before grad school, either at State or at one of the other agencies. 

Languages: English, Basic French, I studied Arabic in undergrad and would like to take it up again in grad school, but I don't currently speak or study it. 

Activities:
Volunteer with Streetwise Partners, a mentorship/job skills program for unemployed people in DC (I serve as a mentor to one of the program's participants) 

In Undergrad I was:  Opinions editor for the college paper, Vice President of the Smith Democrats, internships at Center for American Progress and US Embassy in Tunisia. 

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): The ones from people I've worked with will be strong. My previous bosses (Assistant Secretary-level people) have already offered whatever help they can give in this category.  For a profesor, I was going to ask one of my college professors, and I'm sure they will be fine. 

Goal: I'd like to continue to work in government and in the foreign policy arena.  I'm very interested in national security issues, but I also have been developing a greater interest in trade and commerce and how economic ties impact relations between nations.  Ideally I think I'd like to try for a post-grad career combining those two interests, for example through trade advocacy. 

Main concerns: No math classes in undergrad! Seriously, the last legitimate math class I took was Pre-Calculus in my junior year of high school.  And a slightly lower than average GRE quant score (Woodrow Wilson average for this year's class was 155). But rather than spend the money to up my GRE scores, I want to invest that in getting some math classes on the books.   

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Hi! I'd love to get some thoughts from people on this forum, though I know that these things are always a little subjective.  I'm in the category where I have great work experience, good undergrad GPA, strong verbal score, but slightly lower than average quant score and very light on quantitative classes in college (as in, I took the Macro/Micro intro sequence, A in Macro, Micro was pass/fail and I passed,  but no other courses related to Math. They weren't required at my college, and of course, as an undergrad, I was dumb and didn't think ahead to grad school applications!).  I'm planning to take an intro statistics course this summer at Graduate School USA in DC, which is an accredited course, and I may try to take another course in the fall. 

Schools I'm interested in: Princeton Woodrow Wilson, Syracuse Maxwell, SIPA, SAIS, Georgetown SFS, Indiana School of Public Affairs, Harvard Kennedy School, Tufts Fletcher School 

Undergraduate Majors: B.A. in Government, with a focus on IR and Middle East studies 

GRE AW Score: I just took the GRE's, so no score on this yet, but I expect it to be in 90th percentile area

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I think this is the strongest part of my application. Since graduating from undergrad I've been working at the State Department, first on Middle East Peace issues and now on Political-Military Affairs.  I've been a staff assistant and a special assistant, working directly for the top people in each issue area (though not on the Secretary or Deputy Secretary's staffs). It's been great experience, I have a wide range of responsibilities and I've gotten to travel with my bosses, sit in on all their meetings, and a learn a lot about real world diplomacy.  I'm currently looking for one more job in government before grad school, either at State or at one of the other agencies. 

Languages: English, Basic French, I studied Arabic in undergrad and would like to take it up again in grad school, but I don't currently speak or study it. 

Activities:

Volunteer with Streetwise Partners, a mentorship/job skills program for unemployed people in DC (I serve as a mentor to one of the program's participants) 

In Undergrad I was:  Opinions editor for the college paper, Vice President of the Smith Democrats, internships at Center for American Progress and US Embassy in Tunisia. 

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): The ones from people I've worked with will be strong. My previous bosses (Assistant Secretary-level people) have already offered whatever help they can give in this category.  For a profesor, I was going to ask one of my college professors, and I'm sure they will be fine. 

Goal: I'd like to continue to work in government and in the foreign policy arena.  I'm very interested in national security issues, but I also have been developing a greater interest in trade and commerce and how economic ties impact relations between nations.  Ideally I think I'd like to try for a post-grad career combining those two interests, for example through trade advocacy. 

Main concerns: No math classes in undergrad! Seriously, the last legitimate math class I took was Pre-Calculus in my junior year of high school.  And a slightly lower than average GRE quant score (Woodrow Wilson average for this year's class was 155). But rather than spend the money to up my GRE scores, I want to invest that in getting some math classes on the books.   

Here are my thoughts:

Schools you are interested in: Are you going for an MPA/MPP or an MIA?  If you are interested in getting an MIA, why are you applying to Syracuse Maxwell and the Indiana School of Public Affairs?

Languages: Many top international affairs graduate programs (though not all of them and there are ways to get around this) require you to pass a proficiency exam in a foreign language.  You might want to skip the math classes and brush up on French or Arabic.  Arabic would be harder but it would make you stand out more than French.

Describe Work Experience: That's awesome.  I don't know if you have to go to graduate school with your work experience.

Main concerns: You definitely don't need to take math classes in undergrad for either an MPA/MPP or MIA.  You have already taken economics, so you are fine there.  Statistics could help your application.  But you should not waste your money on linear algebra or calculus.

Activities:

Did you go to State right out of undergrad? If so, how? :P

Did you go to State right out of undergrad? If so, how? :P

Ha ha, I wish I had a real answer, but the honest truth is that I just got really lucky. I'm really grateful for the opportunities that came my way, and looking forward to grad school and the next big adventure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All! I'll be applying for admissions this fall to enter school Fall 2014. I have government experience working in regional affairs and would like to extend my education in that particular region. I'm currently leaning toward SAIS because of its dual-degree flexibility, and also because I'd be interested in leaving Washington to study at the Bologna Center for the first year. In short, I have an unusual academic transcript. I'll hopefully be able to counter that with strong GMAT/GRE scores and my SOP/LORS. Looking forward to any advice!!!

Program Applied To : MA - IR; also looking to "specialize" in Security Studies or Latin America Studies
Schools Considering Applying To: SAIS; Georgetown Walsh; Columbia SIPA; HKS- MPA-ID; Chicago Harris; Stanford. 

ALSO: I intend to apply for a dual degree (w/ MBA) once I've matriculated to a IR program. The flexibility of SAIS with regard to dual-degree programs is enticing. 

Undergraduate institution: TTT Public University
Undergraduate GPA: 3.3 (3.8+ in last 60 hours, Phi Beta Kappa, honors)-- had health problems midway through undergrad, grades suffered as a result
Undergraduate Major: International Affairs (with an additional emphasis on Mathematics/Chemistry)

GREs: Going to take GMAT...currently practicing at 730-760, 6 AWA

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2 (at time of matriculation)
Years of Work Experience: 16 months (as of this month) 
Describe Relevant Work Experience: I interned in politics while in undergrad and had the opportunity to work in political campaigning as a deputy field director for a governor's race (that our candidate won) as well as a finance intern for a political fundraising organization working with 5+ US Senators and candidates. After graduating, I worked in international affairs/foreign policy for the US government and have had major hands-on experience with international government entities that will shape my application. 

Languages: Intermediate Spanish (spoken and written), looking to pick up either French/German

Quant: Calc 1/2, Multivariable Calc, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations (All A's); MacroEcon (A), Stats (C+)  :( 

Strength of SOP: Should be well-written, concise, methodical. Will incorporate my current career path, need for additional education, etc etc. 

Strength of LOR: Should be pretty strong. Will have 2 gov't recommenders who have major credibility in IR. Only weak LOR will be from undergrad professor. 

Negatives: GPA! But like I've mentioned, there's a reason why I did so poorly. If that segment of my academic career were taken out, I'd have 3.8 GPA overall.

Goal: I'm still wavering between reentering the public sector and consulting unfortunately. I will have GI Bill benefits to use while in graduate school. Regardless of where I'm admitted, I want to have the flexibility of a entering a dual-degree program (for which SIPA/MSFS are not nearly as accommodative). 

I honestly don't know how competitive I'll be at the programs I've mentioned, but I would love any feedback or advice!!

Hi All! I'll be applying for admissions this fall to enter school Fall 2014. I have government experience working in regional affairs and would like to extend my education in that particular region. I'm currently leaning toward SAIS because of its dual-degree flexibility, and also because I'd be interested in leaving Washington to study at the Bologna Center for the first year. In short, I have an unusual academic transcript. I'll hopefully be able to counter that with strong GMAT/GRE scores and my SOP/LORS. Looking forward to any advice!!!

Program Applied To : MA - IR; also looking to "specialize" in Security Studies or Latin America Studies

Schools Considering Applying To: SAIS; Georgetown Walsh; Columbia SIPA; HKS- MPA-ID; Chicago Harris; Stanford. 

ALSO: I intend to apply for a dual degree (w/ MBA) once I've matriculated to a IR program. The flexibility of SAIS with regard to dual-degree programs is enticing. 

Undergraduate institution: TTT Public University

Undergraduate GPA: 3.3 (3.8+ in last 60 hours, Phi Beta Kappa, honors)-- had health problems midway through undergrad, grades suffered as a result

Undergraduate Major: International Affairs (with an additional emphasis on Mathematics/Chemistry)

GREs: Going to take GMAT...currently practicing at 730-760, 6 AWA

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2 (at time of matriculation)

Years of Work Experience: 16 months (as of this month) 

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I interned in politics while in undergrad and had the opportunity to work in political campaigning as a deputy field director for a governor's race (that our candidate won) as well as a finance intern for a political fundraising organization working with 5+ US Senators and candidates. After graduating, I worked in international affairs/foreign policy for the US government and have had major hands-on experience with international government entities that will shape my application. 

Languages: Intermediate Spanish (spoken and written), looking to pick up either French/German

Quant: Calc 1/2, Multivariable Calc, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations (All A's); MacroEcon (A), Stats (C+)  :( 

Strength of SOP: Should be well-written, concise, methodical. Will incorporate my current career path, need for additional education, etc etc. 

Strength of LOR: Should be pretty strong. Will have 2 gov't recommenders who have major credibility in IR. Only weak LOR will be from undergrad professor. 

Negatives: GPA! But like I've mentioned, there's a reason why I did so poorly. If that segment of my academic career were taken out, I'd have 3.8 GPA overall.

Goal: I'm still wavering between reentering the public sector and consulting unfortunately. I will have GI Bill benefits to use while in graduate school. Regardless of where I'm admitted, I want to have the flexibility of a entering a dual-degree program (for which SIPA/MSFS are not nearly as accommodative). 

I honestly don't know how competitive I'll be at the programs I've mentioned, but I would love any feedback or advice!!

I think you have a fairly competitive application despite your low GPA and your low Statistics grade.

My main advice for you is to focus on what you want.  Here are my suggestions:

1) Think about what you are actually applying for.  You wrote that you want to either pursue Security Studies, Latin American Studies, or an MBA.  These concentrations are all completely separate from each other.  Pick one and focus on it.  I understand the appeal of leaving all of your options open but at a certain point you need to figure out what you want to do.

2) Same thing with your schools.  Does Stanford even have an IR or a Latin American Studies graduate program?  Or are you just interested in their business school?

3) Same thing with your languages.  Why are you going to pick up French/German when you haven't mastered Spanish?  

4) Why are you going to wait to apply for a dual MBA after you have entered an IR graduate program?  What's the point?  If you apply for joint programs now, you won't have to do it later.

5) What is TTT public school?  Where did you go to school?  

6) I'm not one to shoot down anyone's goals but I think your low GPA and lack of experience in international development significantly hurts your chances at Harvard.  Give it a shot but know that it is a reach.  If you are applying for an MBA at Stanford, I would tell you the same thing as you do not have enough business experience.

Ok guys, I have some updated info for you guys, what er my chances now :) :

Undergraduate institution: University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Undergraduate GPA: 3.25 (One semester left with mostly policy classes on my final schedule)

Undergraduate Majors: B.A. Recreation/ Sport Mgmt with Business Minor

GRE Quantitative Score: 158 practice test (74th percentile)

GRE Verbal Score: 155 (64th percentile) WILL IMPROVE

GRE AW Score: Graded myself so N/A but I believe I will get a 4.5+

Taking it this summer, but I am generally a good test taker

Years Out of Undergrad: Plan to go straight through (internships every summer of course) I graduate in fall so technically 8months out of school if admitted

Years of Work Experience: No full-time experience but have been employed since I was sixteen

Currently interning as the Resource Development and Grants Intern for the Maryland-National Capital Park Planning Commission for 3 months this summer. So far I have research funding opportunities, and began working on grant proposals. This is the #1 Parks and Rec Agency in the country. This experience is especially unique because I am housed in-office with park planners, landscape architects, division chiefs, deputy directors etc. They have allowed to sit in on their meetings and have invited me to lunch to give me a truly holistic experience. I am literally seeing from every angle how this Quasi-public government agency is operating, from the ground on up. We serve over 2 million people between two counties and the northern DC area. This has really inspired me to pursue the dual MUP degree (even though it is park planning, the framework is generally similar).

Interned for the Lansing,MI Dept of Parks and Recreation (part of mayor's office) and organized city wide track events, fourth of July festival, supervised summer camp counselors,etc. I Also wrote a grant for them that was approved for $6,000 from Jackson National Life Mortgage. This grant required me to do budget analysis and ended up saving the department's scholarship program so that low-income kids could continue participate in programming. Also garnered sponsorships for upcoming activities guide

Facilities manager for the RecSports Division of Student life. Manage between four buildings and also supervise a full student staff under me. Startes as an entry-level employee and now hold the highest position an undergrad can have. I also personally evaluate my employees biannually.

Served as Pre-College Mentor for past two summers for a two week college institute for students from at-risk high schools in Knoxville

Languages: English (I am interested in domestic policy)

Activities:

Single undergraduate member of the RecSports Endowment Fund Committee

Member of Dean of College Of Ed, Health, Human Sciences' Advisory Board

Member of Mu Rho chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated (Chapter of the Year 4x in a row)

Member of NIRSA and TIRSA

Member of NRPA (Attended 2012 Congress in Anaheim on my own funds)

Member of TRPA (Awarded $1,000 scholarship for leading student in field)

Member of ICMA

Member of Adidas Partners in Sports

Member of Phi Theta Sigma National Honor Society

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Will recieve LOR's from top Chapter 13 Attorney in Detroit, Dean of my college, And Director of MNCPPC (one of the top Park/Rec Departments in nation). I am also in the process of founding an Out-of-State Student Association here at UTK.

Other: I aspire to become one of the leading officials for park/recreation development and land use in a large city (municipal) and maybe move on to a federal level. Because the fields are so closely related, if I am admitted into a dual MUP/MPA(MPP) program I will look into city and community management also. Michigan is my #1 not only bc I get in-state tuition but also because I would like to be involved/closely monitor the crucial redevelopment of downtown Detroit. Part of the reason I want to get my MPA or MPP is the diversity of the degree. I need to be further educated on quantitative strategies to determine things such as cost recovery, sustainibility, etc in order to make informed choices, especially because governments use tax-supported dollars (you cannot develop faster than you can recover).

I believe that my specific work and internship experience and ability to write grants will help me. Also, I do not volunteer very much because I work 20+ hours per week and fund myself. I also funded my own trip to the NRPA conference in Anaheim,CA from Knoxville (And will do the same for Houston this year). I also hope to get to Boston for the ICMA Conference. Lastly, I am a black male, if that helps.

My schools I will be applying to:

1.Michigan Ford MPP/ Taubman MUP

2.U of Washington Evans MPA/dual MUP

3.University of Maryland MPP

4.USC Price MPP/MUP

5. University of Wisconsin MPA/ maybe dual MUP)

Other possibilities (maybe 2 more schools): Texas A&M, Ohio State, Rutgers

Do I have a realistic chance of getting in? If so, what are my chances of gaining any funding? (I will do anything from being a Teaching assistant, research assistant,etc.)I have about four months to get my application stronger so any suggestions are great! Once again THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

You need better GRE scores, at least 80th percentile in both areas because your GPA is weak. I suggest you start doing some professional conference presentations and take a year or two off to get some real work experience in ANY level of government, not just Parks and Recreation. 

Just my humble opinion...and don't be a braggart in your SOP...pick a few things and downplay them. You come off like you may clash with the typical professor in PP or UP for a variety of reasons and if that is in your SOP, you may scare the AdCom off! 

I agree that HappyGoLukky should get more real work experience before he applies for MPA/MPP programs.  Teach for America or AmeriCorps could be a good fit.

He has a fairly good GRE Math score for the programs that he is applying to but it is critical that he improves his GRE Verbal score.

I wouldn't list all of my club memberships like that but I disagree with invicta that you may clash with typical public policy professors.  I don't get that impression at all.

HappyGoLukky, have you taken any economics/quantitative courses in college?

I agree that HappyGoLukky should get more real work experience before he applies for MPA/MPP programs.  Teach for America or AmeriCorps could be a good fit.

He has a fairly good GRE Math score for the programs that he is applying to but it is critical that he improves his GRE Verbal score.

I wouldn't list all of my club memberships like that but I disagree with invicta that you may clash with typical public policy professors.  I don't get that impression at all.

HappyGoLukky, have you taken any economics/quantitative courses in college?

Yes, I have taken Economics: an introductory course and received an A,  Statistics 201 and received a C, and Intro to calc my very first semester and received a B- .

This Fall I am taking a Public Budgeting course, intermediate microeconomics, and also a statistics regression modeling class. I believe that if I do well enough this fall (my final undergrad semester) that I will have a legit shot

Hello to all, new here...would appreciate doctoral program suggestions

Program Applied To : PhD in Public Affairs, Policy or Administration Specialization: Public Health Policy or Education Policy

Schools Considering Applying To: Undecided, Due to weak GREs Upper Tier 2 Most Likely (What is the ranking cut off for T1?)

Undergraduate institution: Small Private Liberal Arts
Undergraduate GPA: 3.0 (3.5+ in last 60 hours, academic honors one semester, quite a few repeats, a couple of WFs)

Undergraduate Major: Education (elective courses ran the gamut of econ, political science, history, psychology, sociology)

Graduate Institution: Newly Ranked Tier 4

Graduate GPA: 3.4

Graduate Major: Public Administration

GREs: 152-V [56th percentile]   140-Q (working on this) [12th percentile] I know these are awful.

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 15

Years of Work Experience: 6 years in K-12 education, 14 years various non-relevant jobs and self-employment

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 5 undergraduate internships in local government, two post graduate internships in grants management, seasonal Federal employment

Languages: Intermediate French (spoken and written) not required

Quant: Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, College Algebra, Limited stats in Research Methods in MPA program

Strength of SOP: Will play up 7 internships, limited Federal employment, academic strengths in social sciences, presentations and professional organization activities plus personal story. My CV is three pages already, one publication, 5 invited conferences this year

Strength of LOR: National Professional Organization Officer who is super prominent, 4 professors, 1 State Professional Org Officer

Negatives: Graduate GPA, GRE Scores

Goal: Academia, Think Tanks, Teaching Overseas. Federal, State or Local permanent employment is top priority during this economic climate!

Edited by mobius

Hello to all, new here...would appreciate doctoral program suggestions

Program Applied To : PhD in Public Affairs, Policy or Administration Specialization: Public Health Policy or Education Policy

Schools Considering Applying To: Undecided, Due to weak GREs Upper Tier 2 Most Likely (What is the ranking cut off for T1?)

Undergraduate institution: Small Private Liberal Arts

Undergraduate GPA: 3.0 (3.5+ in last 60 hours, academic honors one semester, quite a few repeats, a couple of WFs)

Undergraduate Major: Education (elective courses ran the gamut of econ, political science, history, psychology, sociology)

Graduate Institution: Newly Ranked Tier 4

Graduate GPA: 3.4

Graduate Major: Public Administration

GREs: 152-V [56th percentile]   140-Q (working on this) [12th percentile] I know these are awful.

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 15

Years of Work Experience: 6 years in K-12 education, 14 years various non-relevant jobs and self-employment

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 5 undergraduate internships in local government, two post graduate internships in grants management, seasonal Federal employment

Languages: Intermediate French (spoken and written) not required

Quant: Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, College Algebra, Limited stats in Research Methods in MPA program

Strength of SOP: Will play up 7 internships, limited Federal employment, academic strengths in social sciences, presentations and professional organization activities plus personal story. My CV is three pages already, one publication, 5 invited conferences this year

Strength of LOR: National Professional Organization Officer who is super prominent, 4 professors, 1 State Professional Org Officer

Negatives: Graduate GPA, GRE Scores

Goal: Academia, Think Tanks, Teaching Overseas. Federal, State or Local permanent employment is top priority during this economic climate!

Here is my advice.  Take it for what it is worth since I am not on an admissions committee:

1) The GRE is a horrible test.  It is infuriating that you are required to learn about things like geometry and algebra in order to get into good public administration/policy programs.  I am studying for the test now and I sympathize with you.  But you need to take it and do reasonably well.  I don't know much about Ph.D programs in public affairs but you should try to boost both your Verbal score and your Math score by at least eight points each.  What was your Writing score?

2) Where did you go to graduate school?  What is a "newly ranked Tier 4" public administration program?

3) It sounds like you have substantial work experience in the field of education.  I think you should focus on that experience and education policy as you don't seem to have a public health policy background.

I do not have numbers to mention at this time. I am posting on the fly but happy to provide details at a later time.

- only applying to UCLA Luskin for MPP

- admitted and matriculating to UCLA this fall for MPH (healthy policy)

- attempting (essentially) to do the MPP/MPH dual degree

- undergraduate: Fordham University (psychology)

- graduate: Stanford University (doctorate/psychology)

- internship year: Harvard Medical School

- postdoc fellowship: Tufts University

- overall interest: public mental health and mental health policy

I am wondering about the overall competitiveness of UCLA's program. I think the MPP there is excellent, and I am particularly drawn to the program's connectedness and involvement with the surrounding communities and, more generally, California. Thanks in advance!

Edited by porkbunsrule

Hey all,

Would appreciate your advice - I'm a serving european diplomat with 5yrs experience interested in doing an MPA/MPP. I'm particularly interested in the interplay btw diplomacy and development in fragile states, especially in Africa but I'm also interested in a lot of 'macro' diplomatic issues eg engaging non-state actors and the future of economic diplomacy.

Here are my stats:

Undergrad - Oxbridge (UK) - Geography/Politics

GPA: Not sure - a UK 2:1 - according to a rough guide this translates to 3.1-3.33?

GRE: not taken yet - would expect to do well in the AW and vocab and fairly badly in the quant. I am studying!

Years out of undergrad - 7. 1.5 in PR/Campaigning in a major national NGO and a major international one. 5.5 years in European diplomatic service - including postings in Africa and Latin America and thematic experience of public diplomacy, conflict, UN, EU and economic diplomacy.

Schools I'm considering:

- Princeton WWS

- HKS MPA2

- Fletcher

- Yale Jackson

(I think I prefer the smaller classes and schools so for now at least I'm discounting Colombia.)

Languages - English, French, Spanish

Quant: currently studying for a postgraduate diploma in economics from the university of London - doing courses in international finance, macro, taxation and international economic crises. But am not a quant 'natural'.

SOP: Obviously I'll highlight my experience and career plans

LORs: I'm a bit worried because I have no contact with my old uni, though I should be able to get good recs from senior colleagues.

Goal: to either go back to my organisation, but in more focused roles; or to move across into other international organisations/development organisations (prob UN or EU delegations),I'd also like some experience of the private sector.

My main questions are:

- I'm worried that with my work experience I fall between two camps - on the high side for many MPA courses (might just be these boards but there seem to be many candidates with 0 or at best 1-2 yrs experience), but not enough for many 'mid-career' courses. Am I better off holding off a few years to fit more neatly in the 'mid career' bracket? I'm looking at starting A/W 2014 or 2015.

- I'm considering combining with an MBA. Does anyone have any experience of this? Definitely within my organisation MBAs are highly valued - probably more than MPAs - I'd be keen to benefit from both.

- and of course, do I have any chance with the unis I'm considering given my GPA in undergrad? I was very focused on building work experience/being involved in student politics during my undergrad and wasn't too focused on grades!

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by happygomucky

Schools I'm interested : HKS,WWS,SIPA,Harris,Goldman
Undergraduate institution: University of Delhi
Undergraduate GPA: No GPA. 65% (first class honors)
Undergraduate Majors: Economics
Graduate institution: Warwick

Graduate GPA:No GPA. 60%.

Graduate Majors: Economics.

GRE Quantitative Score: 165
GRE Verbal Score: 162
GRE AW Score: 4.0

Years of Work Experience: 37 months as of today.

• Interned at  Planning commission of India for 4 months
  • Interned at a NGO working in rural areas in its renewable energy campaign.
  • Worked for 21 months at a leading Investment bank  and dealt in financing Public Private Partnerships based highway projects. Worked with government agencies in drafting term sheets, project documents. 
  • Working full time for the last 16 months with the NGO that I interned mentioned earlier.

Quant : Undergraduate level - Statistics, Mathematical methods, Linear algebra and calculus, Introductory Econometrics.

graduate level - Advanced Mathematical methods,  Econometrics I & II.

please advise on choice of schools and chances of admission, and I haven't mentioned about SOP and LOR as I am finalizing both of them.

Schools I'm interested : HKS,WWS,SIPA,Harris,Goldman

Undergraduate institution: University of Delhi

Undergraduate GPA: No GPA. 65% (first class honors)

Undergraduate Majors: Economics

Graduate institution: Warwick

Graduate GPA:No GPA. 60%.

Graduate Majors: Economics.

GRE Quantitative Score: 165

GRE Verbal Score: 162

GRE AW Score: 4.0

Years of Work Experience: 37 months as of today.

• Interned at  Planning commission of India for 4 months
  • Interned at a NGO working in rural areas in its renewable energy campaign.
  • Worked for 21 months at a leading Investment bank  and dealt in financing Public Private Partnerships based highway projects. Worked with government agencies in drafting term sheets, project documents. 
  • Working full time for the last 16 months with the NGO that I interned mentioned earlier.

Quant : Undergraduate level - Statistics, Mathematical methods, Linear algebra and calculus, Introductory Econometrics.

graduate level - Advanced Mathematical methods,  Econometrics I & II.

please advise on choice of schools and chances of admission, and I haven't mentioned about SOP and LOR as I am finalizing both of them.

Hey, what are your career goals?  Why do you want an MPA?  Answering those kinds of questions will give people a better sense of what you are looking for in a program.  It will also clarify why you want to get an MPA when you already have a graduate degree in something that is kind of related (Economics).

Other than that, I think you have a very strong application.  I'm not on on an admissions committee for a university but I am pretty sure that you have a good shot at getting into SIPA.  I know people who have gotten into SIPA with less than your qualifications.  I don't know enough about Berkeley Goldman or Chicago Harris to give you an informed opinion.  I think your application is strong enough that you have more than a fighting chance to get into HKS and WWS.

hey thanks for the evaluation; I am delighted to have a dispassionate review of my rough profile. I want a MPA for primarily two reasons. Firstly, during my undergrad and  especially postgrad the program had a heavy quant focus; I want to study qualitative part more about systems, organizations and policy this time around. Secondly, my previous masters is good enough for a research position at IMF or WB group (many of my friends are working there in its research department); I want to join the a multilateral organization of the aforementioned ilk in a leadership kind of role. 

Which schools do you think  provide a good opportunity to get recruited into multilateral agencies. Of course, I know the usual spiel that its up to the individual. But definitely there must be schools that provide an advantage when it comes to recruitment to these multilateral agencies.

Also my top choice is WWS. HKS would want me to break the bank even it provides me with an admission offer with some aid. However do i stand a chance to get significant aid from HKS? Given the havoc dollar appreciation is wreaking on my rupee denominated saving even if HKS admits me financial constraints wont allow me attend there. 

with my profile would it be able to secure TAships or RAships to help defray some of the living cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I've been reading this entire thread  and I have learned so much already thanks to previous posters! I would appreciate any feedback from knowledgeable students on this forum!

I am looking into going back to school for an International Affairs MA in 2014.
I am still narrowing down programs but my interests are International Affairs, International Development or International Political Economy (I suck at math but took many Pol Econ classes in undergrad).

I am mostly focusng at European programs because of price + no GRE (best of both worlds)
My choices so far are: LSE London, HEI Geneva, Sciences Po Paris
secondary: UL London, ULB Brussels... any other schools I should look at even in the U.S?

My goal is career change and to get a job for the UN or any big NGO/organization as a Project Manager or a Program Officer on an African focus development program.

Background: I am originally from West Africa and moved to the U.S to attend college. I grew up on 3 different continents (Europe/Africa/Asia)

Education:
AA in Liberal Arts from a community college 3.6 GPA
BA in Political Science from UCLA 3.79 GPA (concentration on International Relations) minor in African Studies 3.95 GPA

Languages: French native speaker/English/Intermediate Spanish

Relevant work experience: NONE :-(
I worked part time jobs through undergrad so I have only one internship under my belt at the U.N Diplomatic Mission of my country in New York.
After that was unable to find a IR related job and used my languages skills to secure a job. Worked in translation for years in technology/entertainment. I did learn soft skills and acquire project management experience.

I have been volunteering online for a year for a micro lending platform working mostly with sub Saharan African borrowers. (translation/borrowers application review ect..) Working with them made me realize I was on the wrong track career wise.

Can anyone tell me if I have a shot at getting into any good MA program with such an unusual non IR background or if I am kidding myself? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I have a bit of an unusual situation. I applied to grad school IR masters programs this cycle and got in everywhere I applied (Georgetown, Fletcher, SIPA, American, Yale). But for various personal reasons I decided to hold off for a year reapply for scholarships, plus fully funded programs. I am looking for some feedback on what my chances for the following programs are and how I should approach this.

Program Applying To: Will reapply to Fletcher and Columbia and also to Princeton and UT-Austin (I heard these two often fully fund people).

Undergraduate institution: Elite bigname east coast university
Undergraduate GPA: 3.4
Undergraduate Major: IR
GREs: 168 Verbal, 153 Quant
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 6
Years of Work Experience: 6
Describe Relevant Work Experience: I was in journalism, writing for major news organizations in US and abroad before deciding to switch to government service. I have since done some paid internships/scholarship at the European Parliament and a national parliament in the EU. I also have a Fulbright fellowship and several smaller minor fellowships.

Languages: German

Negatives: I feel a little bit like I have been all over the place in recent years - I have done some seriously prestigious internships and scholarships and have written for some big-name news organizations but I still feel not focused enough. Plus I have no idea what I will do for the next year. I am thinking of  traveling to South America to perfect my Spanish. What do you guys think about this? Do you think I might have a serious shot at WWS?

I also really want to apply for Pickering and Rangel but they rejected me last round and I'm not sure how I can improve my app other than improving my Spanish.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to apply to HKS MPP, LSE MPA and several Canadian Schools for Fall 2014 and I would love your feedback. (And I'm considering others in the US)

Undergraduate institution: Top Canadian School
Undergraduate GPA: 3.9+
Undergraduate Majors: Political Science, with a concentration in Public Affairs and Policy Analysis

Years of Work Experience: 6

- I stopped university for a couple years to work for a political party as an organizer. I also served on the party's provincial executive for 5 years (and on the policy committee, finance committee and fundraising committees)

- Worked on a number of campaigns, including as deputy provincial director at one point.

- Since returning to university, I did a year as a legislative intern on Parliament Hill and have a very prestigous summer fellowship doing policy analysis in the governmental sector.

Languages: Intermediate French

Letter will be excellent, one from a top professor in Canadian Public Admin., one from a senior political staffer.

I have yet to take my GRE, mostly because it isn't required for some of the Canadian programs I was looking at and I only recently decided to take a shot for the moon. But I've started studying ...

I feel like I am a strong candidate for the Canadian schools but would love any feedback people can give in general or about my competitiveness in terms of top US schools/LSE. I know it can be tougher for international students.

Thanks in advance.