Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2015 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

competitiveness gpa gre requirements experience profile application

• Please log in to reply
636 replies to this topic

#621 Fizzy_wizzy

Fizzy_wizzy

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSingapore
  • Application Season:2016 Fall
  • Program:International Relations

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hello everyone! This is my first post, would really appreciate feedback as I am at a lost of what to do. I had just decided to not go for an MBA and pursue what I really like- International Relations! I am planning to apply this year.

Program: MIA

Schools considered: SAIS (nanjing and also the regular program), Fletcher, UCSD, SFS, SIPA, and still looking at others as well

Major: Journalism and Mass Comm with focus in PR. 

GPA: 3.90 - Outstanding undergrad of the year, top 10%

GRE: 150v/147q/4.0w, I took the GRE twice my first score was 152/145/3.5. I just can't seem to get a good score and I am getting depressed over my scores. I don't think I will take it again. Thoughts?

Undergrad school: Arizona state, J-Program is top 10 in nation

Years since UG: 1.5 years

Work experience: 1.5 years in Tech blog site doing community outreach/ PR, created marketing campaign for city government arts commission in Arizona ( 5mth duration), 9 months intern at Film studio PR firm with big clients like Disney/Universal, have published articles- mostly tech related

Coursework: minor in special event management, cert in international business -did all required econs.  Only took up to college algebra.

Language: fluent Mandarin, Taiwanese. Can read Japanese, understand most Korean. 

SoP:  Dreading it.

LoR: My supervisor from tech blog site who is pretty big in the tech community, probably PR campaigns professor, not sure who else is good :(

Other: I'm international, but stayed in US for most of my life. Minority as well

Really appreciate feedback! Thanks in advance!

#622 crisisdiplomacy

crisisdiplomacy

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Application Season:2015 Fall

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

Hello everyone! This is my first post, would really appreciate feedback as I am at a lost of what to do. I had just decided to not go for an MBA and pursue what I really like- International Relations! I am planning to apply this year.

Program: MIA

Schools considered: SAIS (nanjing and also the regular program), Fletcher, UCSD, SFS, SIPA, and still looking at others as well

Major: Journalism and Mass Comm with focus in PR. 

GPA: 3.90 - Outstanding undergrad of the year, top 10%

GRE: 150v/147q/4.0w, I took the GRE twice my first score was 152/145/3.5. I just can't seem to get a good score and I am getting depressed over my scores. I don't think I will take it again. Thoughts?

Undergrad school: Arizona state, J-Program is top 10 in nation

Years since UG: 1.5 years

Work experience: 1.5 years in Tech blog site doing community outreach/ PR, created marketing campaign for city government arts commission in Arizona ( 5mth duration), 9 months intern at Film studio PR firm with big clients like Disney/Universal, have published articles- mostly tech related

Coursework: minor in special event management, cert in international business -did all required econs.  Only took up to college algebra.

Language: fluent Mandarin, Taiwanese. Can read Japanese, understand most Korean. 

SoP:  Dreading it.

LoR: My supervisor from tech blog site who is pretty big in the tech community, probably PR campaigns professor, not sure who else is good :(

Other: I'm international, but stayed in US for most of my life. Minority as well

Really appreciate feedback! Thanks in advance!

Do you have any international experiences, even as an international student in the U.S.? 

Also, don't freak out so much about your GRE scores. It's really a holistic approach. This forum makes it seem like you need a perfect scores on the GRE to get into any top program, but it's not true. You should try to get your scores up but don't kill yourself over it. It's good that you've dabbled in a lot of strategic languages and that you have the business certificate, which means you'll be able to handle the quant coursework. 

What are your goals after completing the MIA degree? 

Decision: MA Johns Hopkins SAIS - DC Campus 

#623 Fizzy_wizzy

Fizzy_wizzy

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSingapore
  • Program:International Relations

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

Do you have any international experiences, even as an international student in the U.S.? 

Also, don't freak out so much about your GRE scores. It's really a holistic approach. This forum makes it seem like you need a perfect scores on the GRE to get into any top program, but it's not true. You should try to get your scores up but don't kill yourself over it. It's good that you've dabbled in a lot of strategic languages and that you have the business certificate, which means you'll be able to handle the quant coursework. 

What are your goals after completing the MIA degree? 

Sadly I don't have any international experiences, but I am now in Singapore planning to take on a job that hopefully can help me. Do you have any suggestions for me while I prepare for my applications this year? Will volunteering help?

I would like to work for an NGO, UN or as a FSO. I just love working with people with different cultures and sadly because I am international I cannot join the Peace Corps or Teach for America :( 

#624 KenBesonders

KenBesonders

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Program:International Security

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:03 PM

Program: MIA

Schools considered: SAIS, Maxwell, SIPA, Georgetown, American SIS, GWU Elliott, CEU SPP and Pitt GSPIA

Major: International Studies/Political Science

GPA: 3.00 (3.4 in major)

GRE: NA, figuring what score I could need to help offset GPA.

Undergrad school: Large Midwest School

Years since UG: 2.5 years by the time I apply

Work experience: 0.5 years doing a disarmament internship for UN NGO at UN HQ, 0.5 years marketing, 0.5 years writing in advocacy NGO,

two summer research projects with professors, currently working remotely doing military analysis for a NGO

Coursework: Statistics, want to re-enroll next year to take econ.

Language: Intermediate German and Spanish

SoP:  I know everyone says their's are "great" but I plan on spending this summer writing them out and tailoring my focuses in each program.

LoR: One from my undergrad IS director, one from a professor I know well and one from my former supervisor at my UN internship

Other: I did well in a student public policy competition I entered (Went up against students from Ivy League Schools), so that should be a good boost. Heavily involved with Model UN at my University while an undergrad. Currently a volunteer with a few different disarmament organizations that I help remotely. I staff around three Model UN conferences as well and hold senior rolls in each.

My main question is, what type of GRE scores do you think I should aim for? I believe I have a strong work, volunteer and research background so I want to try to really develop good SOP so I can be considered for funding. I know my GPA is a set-back so what GRE scores could maybe help offset that?

#625 interdisciplinaryangst

interdisciplinaryangst

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:50 PM

Your stats are quite similar to mine. Did you apply for this cycle or are you applying next cycle?

I can only speak of LSE but from what I have seen they don't put too much emphasis on work experience so as long as you have good grades (which you do) in a relevant field you should be good. I think Oxford might be a bit more rigid and want GPAs above 3.8 but you are very close so with the right letters of rec and personal statement, you can definitely get in!!

If you did apply this cycle, did you hear back from any schools? Best of luck to you! :)

I got into Columbia's Human Rights Studies program and actually decided to pull my Oxford app (thinking a policy degree may be best for after an MA). Still deciding whether to accept.

Best of luck to you too! Where did you apply?

#626 sp108

sp108

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Application Season:Not Applicable

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

Program: MPA/MPP

Schools considered: SAIS, SIPA, Harris, Sanford, more I should look at? Prefer staying on the East Coast

Major: Triple Major - Accounting, Finance, Business Economics (I am an outsider, how will this affect me?)

GPA: 3.47 (I know it's low but I had heavy coursework)

GRE: Haven't taken yet and in the process of studying.  I seem to be getting upper 150s in quantitative and mid 150s in verbal.

Undergrad school: SEC school

Work experience: 1 year in DC working with government consulting work. 2 years at a Big 4 Accounting firm.

Coursework: Economics, Finance, and Accounting coursework.  A few political science, math, and statistics courses.

Language: Spanish, Hindi

SoP:  We will get to that.  But I will be emphasizing my passion for wanting to be consulting and research but with projects with an International focus.  My interests are: Economic Development and Policy, International Economics and Finance, Emerging Markets. I want to improve my statistical/analytical skills. I want to get applied experience on consulting projects.  I believe I can use my private sector consulting experience to leverage it to the public sector arena.

LoR: Managers at my Big 4 firm, I was a research assistance for a corporate finance professor of mine but I haven't been able to get a hold of him.  Not sure what to do here.

Other: I am part of a World Affairs Council organization (trying to show interest) where we have networking events and conferences, I am also an English tutor at the International House in my city.  I am a committee member of a childrens literacy organization in my firm, I have been abroad to a few countries.

Edited by sp108, 05 May 2015 - 07:31 PM.

#627 DehJayster

DehJayster

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

Hi everyone! I'm planning on applying to several China studies/security studies programs in the Washington DC area. I'm a rising senior in college and have yet to take the GRE, but I was wondering if you think my academic experiences/work experiences are on track. Thanks so much!

Schools: Georgetown SSP (concentration in military operations), SAIS (Dual Concentration in China Studies and Security Studies), Elliot, SIS. Are there more schools that you would recommend looking at for China Studies and Strategic Studies?

Undergraduate institution: Top 40
Undergraduate Major: Government, Hispanic Studies minor
Undergraduate GPA: 3.77 overall, 3.89 in Government

GRE: Took a practice test. 160 V, 160 Q
Years Out of Undergrad: 0 years
Years of Work Experience: 2 years
Describe Relevant Work Experience:

Internship - US Overseas Private Investment Corporation: 3 months (extensive economic analysis and quantitative work)
Teaching English in Taiwan: 5 months
State Department Virtual Internship: 10 months
Internship - US government agency A: 3 months
Internship - US government agency B: 5 months
Research Volunteer - Air Combat Command/IA: 5 months (brainstormed ideas on how to improve USAF RAS/PAS officer training programs, presented my findings orally to more than 10 USAF senior officials and drafted a policy brief regarding my recommendations)
College Student Assembly: 2.5 years (promote town town relations, speak in front of the city council to advocate for student rights and housing reforms, event planning and management)
Internship - State Legislature: 2 months
Internship - US Senate: 3 months

Languages:
English: Native
Mandarin Chinese: Functionally Native (can read simplified and traditional)
Spanish: Full Professional Proficiency
French: Intermediate
Taiwanese Hokkien: Limited

Quant:

Took several AP courses in high school, received As and high Bs on all of them. 5s on AP exams in Statistics, Calculus, and Macroecon.

College coursework:

Economics and National Security (A)
Introduction to Microecon (B+)
Intermediate Macroecon ( B )

Awards:
NSEP Boren Scholarship
Member, US National Language Service Corps

Other:
Born in China
First generation immigrant and naturalized US citizen

SOP: Focused on how my parents' activism at Tiananmen Square inspired me to pursue a career in US China relations and how I became interested in military analysis during my internships with the US government and study abroad experiences in Taiwan. My research interests mostly have to do with Chinese military strategies and the People's Liberation Army.

LOR: 1 from a senior Foreign Service Officer who has served in China, 1 from a prominent, retired intelligence officer who is also a professor at my school, 1 from an international relations professor at my school who knows me really well.

Questions:
- Do you think I have a shot at Georgetown's security studies program right out of undergrad?
- Are there any other great China studies programs that you would recommend applying to?

Edited by DehJayster, 12 May 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#628 chocolatecheesecake

chocolatecheesecake

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:MPP (Class of 2016)

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:37 AM

Hi everyone! I'm planning on applying to several China studies/security studies programs in the Washington DC area. I'm a rising senior in college and have yet to take the GRE, but I was wondering if you think my academic experiences/work experiences are on track. Thanks so much!

Questions:
- Do you think I have a shot at Georgetown's security studies program right out of undergrad?
- Are there any other great China studies programs that you would recommend applying to?

Your academic and internship experiences seem very focused and on track. You obviously have a strong focus and know exactly what you want to study, which is great. To me, I think the question now is what you will get out of attending graduate school versus going into full-time work after undergrad. I think at this stage, there's not much you can get out of graduate school that you can't get before you graduate. In other words, since you have another year of school left, you can take some electives in policy, perhaps statistics, and defense/military studies and East Asian studies. 

You can get a taste of work experience from doing many internships, as you have, but it's not a substitute for full-time work. Even though you have a specific idea of what you want to study, I would still suggest you get a few years of work experience, figure out what exact sort of field you want to work in, and understand what it's like to do that work with a long time horizon, so you can know whether you want to commit to it for 10 or 15 years as a career. For example, you could end up going into advocacy or lobbying with your interests, or go the research and think tank route, or become an academic, or go into consulting, or go Foreign Service, etc. etc., but work experience can best tell you which route to go (or not go). 

#629 rsmcdevitt

rsmcdevitt

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Program:Government Affairs

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:34 PM

My first question is regarding GRE scores. I took it twice and scored pretty similarly. I was wondering if anyone had insight as to if one score looks better than the other or if the difference does not amount to much. Thanks.

First Test: 162Q, 156V, 4 AW

Second Test: 159Q, 161V, 4.5 AW

Still very early on in my process but figured I would post my "am I competitive" since I am on here.

Program: MPA

Schools considered: Princeton WWS, HKS, Georgetown, others TBD

Major: Human Resource Management (I know, very random) from  Rutgers

GPA: 3.8 (Good GPA, very easy major)

GRE: Please see questions above First Test: 162Q, 156V, 4AW      Second test: 159Q, 161V, 4.5AW

Undergrad school: Rutgers

Years since UG: 2 as of today 

Work experience: 2 years working for a Congressman. Worked in district managing his community affairs. Deputy campaign manager on his reelection campaign. Moved to DC to work for him last month

Coursework: My biggest concern. I took Stats 101, Micro, and standard calc, but it wasn't required for my major so I did not take many classes

Language: Very basic Spanish, trying to learn more (just bought Rosetta Stone)

SoP:  TBD

LoR: My boss, a US Congressman. I am all set with other ones but academic one may be a challenge

Other: I am on my local planning board and a mentor in Big Brothers Big Sisters

#630 vanatrick

vanatrick

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

Hi everyone! This is my first post, I'm really happy to have stumbled on this site! I just graduated (literally three weeks ago—still mourning the loss of my undergraduate lifestyle), and I just wanted to gauge my chances. I've not been very focused in terms of work experience or internships and I'd been debating which field I wanted to go in, but I think I've decided that an international career, perhaps in an NGO, is for me. Would greatly appreciate any and all feedback!

Program: MIA

Schools considered: my top choice is The Graduate Institute, Geneva; I'm thinking as well about Sciencespo

Major: Political Science, Theology

GPA: 3.99 (one of the top ranking students in the graduating class)

GRE: Since I'm mainly applying to European schools, I won't need to submit GRE scores. Will still be taking it in a few weeks anyway, though.

Undergrad school: Notre Dame

Study abroad: Spent a full year in France

Years since undergrad: just graduated

Work/internship experience: Definitely the weakest part of my application. I spent two months teaching English in a developing country. Other than that I've worked at a summer camp.

Coursework: Roughly one-fourth of my classes were Political Science, one-fourth Theology, one-fourth French, and one-fourth general requirements. I took really easy math classes to fulfill my schools' graduation requirements, and haven't done micro or macroecon.

Language: advanced-level (C1) French

SoP:  I have a history of writing really strong statements of purpose.

LoR: Professor who specializes in Irish politics, plus the director of my study abroad program in France. I also know a lot of theology professors who would recommend me, but I'm not sure if their letters would help an application in International Affairs.

Concerns: Definitely think my strongest asset is my GPA. Wish I had done more internships/been involved more in advocacy during undergrad, but I didn't think to do that during most of my undergraduate career—I was mostly testing the waters, trying different things (theatre, church work, singing, etc) to see which one I'd want to go into. I don't regret that but my lack of focused internship/work experience does put me at a disadvantage.

Edited by vanatrick, 05 June 2015 - 11:03 AM.

#631 brmcfarland

brmcfarland

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Program:Neuroscience

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

Hi everyone I am a rising senior about to apply to graduate school. My GPA has been a concern for me, and I wanted to see if it will prevent me from getting into a PhD program in neuroscience.

Program applying to: Neuroscience PhD program

Schools considered: Drexel University (#1 choice, has been for a couple years), Temple University, University of Vermont, and a few others around the same academic level.

Major: Neuroscience and Psychology double, Biology minor

GPA: 3.20 (3.42 major GPA)

GRE: Only have taken a diagnostic practice test - 155 Q and V, 4.5 on essays. (with practice aiming to get it to about 161+

Undergrad school: Ursinus College, rigorous science program here.

Study abroad: None

Years since undergrad: Rising senior

Work/internship experience: I will graduate working in 3 research labs at once. 3 years in a neuropsychology lab, 2 years in a neurobiology lab with also summer research fellow on Parkinson's disease, and 1 year in an organic chemistry lab working with carbon-nanotubes and neurotransmitters. I also mentored a community college student through an HHMI grant. I am planning to work on an Honors project (not positive if I will get it so don't hold too much weight to it) in the neurobiology department, but if I don't get approved to work on honors then I will still continue my project anyways. I have presented at 6 or 7 conferences.

Coursework: Cell biology (C+), cellular neuroscience (A-), genetics (C+) behavioral neuroscience (A-), cognitive neuroscience( B ) organic chemistry (hard AF, C-), gen chem (A), psychopharmacology (A-). I will graduate also taking molecular biology and developmental neurobiology. I aim to get at least a B+ in developmental, and B+ in molecular. I feel my cellular neuroscience A will make up for my C+ in cell biology. I could have done much better in genetics and organic chem, but I am so busy that I didn't have time during those semesters to study as much as I would have liked to.    My psychopharm and cellular neuroscience classes were taken last semester, and my behavior was taken the semester prior. So those C+'s were from my freshman and sophomore years. My psychology classes I did well in, lowest grade in the major has been a B+. A+ in statistics. I have consistently outperformed my peers in my research labs in terms of dedication and time put into my projects. My professors all have written me outstanding LOR's.

SoP:  I can write very well

LoR: My LoR's will be very very strong from all three of my research advisers. I have completed 2 projects in my neuropsychology lab and one of them won 2nd place at a conference in Philadelphia (about 10 other schools were invited), and I will have completed a very involved project in my neurobiology lab (Parkinson's research), and I have a poster to present for my organic chemistry lab.

Concerns: Definitely think my strongest asset is my research experience, I feel 3 years of experience in 3 different labs is so helpful and not many other students can claim this. However, I feel that my GPA will prevent me from getting into a graduate program. Everything else about my application is extremely competitive. I do not know any other student who has been capable of doing maintaining a full course load, working in 3 research labs at the same time, working 3 jobs, and being on the executive board of 3 clubs on campus.

Other: I am the co-founder and co-president of my schools Neuroscience club, I am recruitment chair of my fraternity, I am an executive board member of a suicide prevention organization on campus. I am a senior fellow for my school, which means I work in the admissions office and interview seniors in high school who have applied to Ursinus. I also give families information sessions and tell them how to apply to Ursinus and then after that, I rate the student and give my opinion of it they should be admitted to Ursinus or not. I am the senior in charge of the Campus Safety office on campus, and I train new dispatchers and hold bi-weekly meetings as well. I am also a tour guide on campus. I have been invited multiple times to speak to the Board of Trustee's and I am on a first name basis with the Dean's of the campus because of how closely I work with them. The ONLY aspect of my application that is low is my 3.2 GPA, but I am a very busy student and I know if I didn't do anything else on campus that I could easy surpass a 3.6 GPA. I do not know any other student who can maintain a full course load and also been HEAVILY involved in all aspects of campus.

Am I competitive for graduate school? I interview very well.

Edited by brmcfarland, 06 June 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#632 chocolatecheesecake

chocolatecheesecake

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:26 AM

Hi everyone I am a rising senior about to apply to graduate school. My GPA has been a concern for me, and I wanted to see if it will prevent me from getting into a PhD program in neuroscience.

@brmcfarland, this is the Government Affairs forum. Check the overall GradCafe forum to look for the discipline you're interested in!

#633 Forever In Debt

Forever In Debt

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Program:MPA/MPP

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA/MPP

Schools Applying To: UC Berkeley MPP, Portland State MPA, U Washington MPA, U Michigan MPP, U Oregon MPA

Undergraduate institution: Low ranked CSU

Undergraduate GPA: Overall 3.5. Last two years was around 3.7.

Undergraduate Majors: English, Minor in ESL

GRE: In the process of studying. I'm scoring low in quant and OK on verbal.

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): By the end of the application cycle, 3 years.

Years of Work Experience: 3 years. I got lucky and worked immediately after my undergrad.

Describe Relevant Work Experience: By the end of the application cycle I will have worked 3 years at a mental health nonprofit. My first year was as a program assistant, one year as a case manager, and my last year will be as a supervisor managing a pilot program for foster youth. We are contracted by DCFS so I'm always in collaboration with county workers.

Languages: English. Some Spanish and Tagalog but not enough to brag about in a resume.

Quant: I'm math deficient. All I have in my transcript is a Math for English Majors and an Intro Stats class. I got an A and C respectively.

Strength of SOP: I haven't put much thought into it yet but I will probably talk about my varying experiences working in the field, organizing events for the community, and as a manager. I'll probably draw from my own experience of living in a single family household in a lower socioecomic neighborhood and draw parallels to the clients we serve. I understand that I should not make it a sob story but help admissions understand where I'm coming from and why I'm committed to this field.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Two of the letters will come from managers I work with at my organization who supervised me. They both have MSW's and I have pretty good relationships with both of them. The third letter will come from a professor who I took two classes with. One thing I’m worried about is that she is from the Communications department (different major) and only has a master’s degree. Regardless I had a pretty good relationship with her as well.

Other: By the end of the application period I will have two years volunteering at a suicide hotline, three years for the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books as an area captain, and one year volunteering for the agency I work for now when I was in my undergrad.

Thoughts? I'm realistic. My work experience and GPA is decent but I'm worried about my GRE scores, my lack of math courses taken, and my lower ranked UG (that I love by the way). Ultimately, my goal is to either be a city manager for a large city on the west coast or an executive director at a socioeconomic nonprofit. I'm primarily interested in the implementation of policy in social welfare, poverty, education and mental health services. I'm limited to the west coast but my fiance is open to me applying to east coast schools. This is contingent on whether or not I receive substantial funding. I know WWS is probably out of my reach but I'm willing to cross my fingers. I'm contemplating opting out of this application period and just apply for the 2017 school year but I'm eager to leave Los Angeles (born and raised but I really need a change of scenery).

Also, I'm planning on taking a couple of economics classes and hopefully calculus but I'm not holding my breath.

Any feedback would be great as I'm agonizing over the flaws in my application. Brutually honest responses are welcomed! :lol:

Edited by Forever In Debt, 13 June 2015 - 06:56 PM.

Applying to UC Berkeley MPP, Portland State MPA,  U Washington MPA, U Michigan MPP, U Oregon MPA

#634 traveler91

traveler91

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:43 AM

Hi all, first time poster here. I'm planning to apply for fall 2016 entry and focus on international development and emerging economies.

Program (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MIA

Schools Applying To: SAIS, Georgetown, Fletcher, SIPA (maybe)

Undergraduate institution: Large, public university. Big 10 school

Undergraduate GPA: 3.42

Undergraduate Majors: Economics

GRE: TBD, studying now

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2.5 years

Years of Work Experience: 2.5 years

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Internship with US Embassy Rome, Economic Section. Internship with implementing partner on an economic growth project funded by USAID. Hired full-time to backstop that program upon graduation. Currently in Afghanistan doing technical implementation on the program and will be here until I go to grad school. It'll be over 18 months of field experience by the time of entry (fall 2016).

Languages: Beginner Italian. Intermediate French.

Quant:  Lots of economics courses, calculus, statistics, upper level econometrics

Strength of SOP: I just started thinking about it, but I want to stay in international development after grad school, so I will probably focus on tying grad school into the narrative of my development career and future goals (USAID FSO). Working on how to make it stand out from the masses of others that are aiming for international development.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Internship supervisor from Rome- current State FSO. COP for the USAID project I'm on. Vice President from current organization. All my professional references should be pretty strong, I've been promoted twice within the same organization in 2 years and earned a field position on my project. No academic references.

Concerns: My lack of an academic reference for starters- I went to a huge school and took my entire senior year in Europe so I've not been in contact with any of my professors for over 2 years. One bad semester in undergrad that really hurt my GPA overall and in major. Very concerned about that and how it'll be viewed by admissions committees. Minor concern for SAIS is their new interview process- do they conduct them via Skype for those based outside the States/will it seriously hurt my chances if I can't do one?

Any advice on ways to strengthen my application would be much appreciated!!

Edited by traveler91, 14 June 2015 - 03:44 AM.

#635 StormHur

StormHur

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNew York City
  • Program:MALD/MPP/MPA/MIA/MA

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

Hi!

I am wondering how competitive people think I could potentially be for the following programs (I have not seriously studied for the GRE at this point, so I am ommitting my rough scores... I am asking for comments primarily based on my applicant profile):

Fletcher (MALD)

HKS (MPP)

IA at SAIS/GU/SIPA

GA at Jackson

Sex: Male (LGBTQ)

Ethnicity: White

GPA: 3.8

Experience:

Host Country Affairs Intern at the Untied States Mission to the United Nations (current)

Research Assistant at the Darnal Award for Social Justice

• Conducted comparative effectiveness research
• Assisted in research on social justice issues occurring in Nepal in regard to Dalit rights 
• Participated in think tanks with the goal of improving dialogue and inspiring discourse on topics concerning social justice for Dalits via a web-based platform

Public Policy Intern at GMHC (formerly known as Gay Men's Health Crisis)
• Wrote an article titled "From Churches to Mosques: We Need to Include Every Faith Community in the Fight Against HIV", which focuses on the need to expand faith-based HIV prevention and treatment efforts to include Muslim communities due to current North African immigration flows. (this three-page single-spaced article is due to be published on June 25, 2015 in POZ Magazine)
• Interviewed GMHC clients 
• Drafted call-to-action letters addressed to New York State government leaders
• Drafted public comments on GMHC’s response to New York State’s Compassionate Care Act

Research Assocaite at the India China Institute
The Sacred Himalaya Initiative: Sacred Landscapes and Sustainable Futures, is a new Luce Foundation funded initiative which builds on the successes of the Everyday Religion and Sustainable Environments in the Himalaya (ERSEH) initiative. For the next three years (2014-2017), ICI will be working with a team of researchers from India, China, Nepal and the United States to study and document relationships between religion and ecology, sacred landscapes, pilgrimage routes and ecological, economic and cultural sustainability and resilience in the Himalaya.

Paralegal Intern at Children's Rights
• Executed data and factual research on child welfare systems
• Created memorandums of senate hearings that dealt with policy developments in the child welfare system
• Proofed and cite-checked legal documents
• Worked on creating an exhibit list and other trial preparatory materials

Policy Intern at the Midtown Community Court
• Drafted Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) for programs mandated by the Midtown Community Court through the Center for Court Innovation
• Co-Facilitated workshops for non-custodial fathers with the UPNEXT program for workforce development and fatherhood engagement 
• Updated and maintained Midtown Community Court Website
• Designed one-page materials to advertise programs offered by the Midtown Community Court
• Managed and maintained the Midtown Community Court Facebook page

Legal Intern at the New York City Criminal Court under Judge Felicia A. Mennin, A.J.S.C.
• Sat bench with Judge Felicia A. Mennin, A.J.S.C.
• Attended workshops on the New York Criminal Justice System
• Visited and attended trials at multiple courts throughout the five boroughs of New York City
- New York Criminal Court
- Kings County Criminal Court
- Red Hook Community Court
- Midtown Community Court

Academic Involvement:
Chair of University Student Government 
*successfully negotiated with the Board of Trustees to create two Student Trustee positions with full voting power
Member of the Disciplinary Review Panel at University
Member of the Security Advisory Committee at University

Honors:
Point Foundation Semifinalist (Point Foundation empowers promising LGBTQ students to achieve their full academic and leadership potential – despite the obstacles often put before them – to make a significant impact on society.)
University Student Leader of the Year for 2014-2015 Academic Year
Dean's List
College Scholarship

Volunteer Work:
2015 NYC AIDS Walk

Coursework (including first semester of senior year):
International Human Rights Law (graduate-level)
Critical Security Studies (graduate-level)
Displacement, Asylum, Migration (graduate-level)
Human Rights Research & Advocacy Methods (graduate-level)
Rights of the Accused
Spatial Thinking with GIS
Settler Colonialism, Indigenous Resurgence, and the Politics of Climate Justice
Justice & the American Trial Process
Seeking Refuge- Cambodia
Stealth Journalism
Web Coding for Interactive Design
News, Narrative, and Design 1 & 2
Global Economics
Microeconomics
Modern Political Theory
Encounternig Religious Pluarlism
French 1-3
French Grammar/Composition 1
Arts & Neuroscience

Thanks!

#636 chocolatecheesecake

chocolatecheesecake

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:44 AM

Hi!

I am wondering how competitive people think I could potentially be for the following programs (I have not seriously studied for the GRE at this point, so I am ommitting my rough scores... I am asking for comments primarily based on my applicant profile):

Looks pretty strong. You have an interesting focus and probably a good strong and personal story to tell in your SOP. That being said, go get some full-time work experience. Come back after at least a year or two, preferably more. You're a strong applicant for entry-level positions, and your application can only benefit from some more focused experiences. It'll make grad school more meaningful for you, and you'll likely garner more funding because of it.

#637 nicholasbentham

nicholasbentham

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWashington
  • Program:SIPA, SAIS, HKS

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hello guys,

Thank you for reading this message. Please assign an acceptance percentage (assuming my essays are on point) to each of my schools listed below. Any other advice is welcomed.

Here are my stats:

Undergrad: Second Tier Ivy (Cornell, Brown, Upenn). Graduation date: 2013

BA: Political Science (International Politics focus); GPA: 3.67, Cumulative GPA: 3.60

GRE: Not yet taken..studying for 2 months. I am pretty good at standardized testing so I think that I will score a minimum range of (Q 153-160, V 155-162). Basically with my profile what GRE scores will make me "safe?"

Econ/Math: Just Principles of Econ in undergrad, and three "political economy" like classes (3As, 1 B. I was actually a quant guy before undergrad, so I am currently refreshing my math with the hope of taking Micro,Macro, and Multivariable Calc before I apply in November. Is the Calc necessary?

Work Experience: excluding undergrad internships: 1.75 at public sector consulting (doing a great deal of international disarmament/pandemic relief work; (think Deloitte, Accenture, Booz Allen).

Leadership: coach to youth development program, pro-bono nonprofit consultant.

Recommendations: 1 professor, 2 supervisors/bosses

Language: Proficient in Spanish, Beginner in French

Grad Schools --- I intend to study something political economy/international finance related. I plan to work in impact investing after graduation. Is an mba more relevant?

Reaches

WWS

HKS

SAIS

Yale Jackson

I think I am competitive schools

SIPA
SIS
GWU
Georgetown

CIPA

I think I will get in

Syracuse

Denver Korbel

Give as much advice as you can. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users