Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2015 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

competitiveness gpa gre requirements experience profile application

• Please log in to reply
627 replies to this topic

#621 Fizzy_wizzy

Fizzy_wizzy

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSingapore
  • Application Season:2016 Fall
  • Program:International Relations

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hello everyone! This is my first post, would really appreciate feedback as I am at a lost of what to do. I had just decided to not go for an MBA and pursue what I really like- International Relations! I am planning to apply this year.

Program: MIA

Schools considered: SAIS (nanjing and also the regular program), Fletcher, UCSD, SFS, SIPA, and still looking at others as well

Major: Journalism and Mass Comm with focus in PR. 

GPA: 3.90 - Outstanding undergrad of the year, top 10%

GRE: 150v/147q/4.0w, I took the GRE twice my first score was 152/145/3.5. I just can't seem to get a good score and I am getting depressed over my scores. I don't think I will take it again. Thoughts?

Undergrad school: Arizona state, J-Program is top 10 in nation

Years since UG: 1.5 years

Work experience: 1.5 years in Tech blog site doing community outreach/ PR, created marketing campaign for city government arts commission in Arizona ( 5mth duration), 9 months intern at Film studio PR firm with big clients like Disney/Universal, have published articles- mostly tech related

Coursework: minor in special event management, cert in international business -did all required econs.  Only took up to college algebra.

Language: fluent Mandarin, Taiwanese. Can read Japanese, understand most Korean. 

SoP:  Dreading it.

LoR: My supervisor from tech blog site who is pretty big in the tech community, probably PR campaigns professor, not sure who else is good :(

Other: I'm international, but stayed in US for most of my life. Minority as well

Really appreciate feedback! Thanks in advance!

#622 crisisdiplomacy

crisisdiplomacy

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Application Season:2015 Fall

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

Hello everyone! This is my first post, would really appreciate feedback as I am at a lost of what to do. I had just decided to not go for an MBA and pursue what I really like- International Relations! I am planning to apply this year.

Program: MIA

Schools considered: SAIS (nanjing and also the regular program), Fletcher, UCSD, SFS, SIPA, and still looking at others as well

Major: Journalism and Mass Comm with focus in PR. 

GPA: 3.90 - Outstanding undergrad of the year, top 10%

GRE: 150v/147q/4.0w, I took the GRE twice my first score was 152/145/3.5. I just can't seem to get a good score and I am getting depressed over my scores. I don't think I will take it again. Thoughts?

Undergrad school: Arizona state, J-Program is top 10 in nation

Years since UG: 1.5 years

Work experience: 1.5 years in Tech blog site doing community outreach/ PR, created marketing campaign for city government arts commission in Arizona ( 5mth duration), 9 months intern at Film studio PR firm with big clients like Disney/Universal, have published articles- mostly tech related

Coursework: minor in special event management, cert in international business -did all required econs.  Only took up to college algebra.

Language: fluent Mandarin, Taiwanese. Can read Japanese, understand most Korean. 

SoP:  Dreading it.

LoR: My supervisor from tech blog site who is pretty big in the tech community, probably PR campaigns professor, not sure who else is good :(

Other: I'm international, but stayed in US for most of my life. Minority as well

Really appreciate feedback! Thanks in advance!

Do you have any international experiences, even as an international student in the U.S.? 

Also, don't freak out so much about your GRE scores. It's really a holistic approach. This forum makes it seem like you need a perfect scores on the GRE to get into any top program, but it's not true. You should try to get your scores up but don't kill yourself over it. It's good that you've dabbled in a lot of strategic languages and that you have the business certificate, which means you'll be able to handle the quant coursework. 

What are your goals after completing the MIA degree? 

Decision: MA Johns Hopkins SAIS - DC Campus 

#623 Fizzy_wizzy

Fizzy_wizzy

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSingapore
  • Program:International Relations

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

Do you have any international experiences, even as an international student in the U.S.? 

Also, don't freak out so much about your GRE scores. It's really a holistic approach. This forum makes it seem like you need a perfect scores on the GRE to get into any top program, but it's not true. You should try to get your scores up but don't kill yourself over it. It's good that you've dabbled in a lot of strategic languages and that you have the business certificate, which means you'll be able to handle the quant coursework. 

What are your goals after completing the MIA degree? 

Sadly I don't have any international experiences, but I am now in Singapore planning to take on a job that hopefully can help me. Do you have any suggestions for me while I prepare for my applications this year? Will volunteering help?

I would like to work for an NGO, UN or as a FSO. I just love working with people with different cultures and sadly because I am international I cannot join the Peace Corps or Teach for America :( 

#624 KenBesonders

KenBesonders

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Program:International Security

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:03 PM

Program: MIA

Schools considered: SAIS, Maxwell, SIPA, Georgetown, American SIS, GWU Elliott, CEU SPP and Pitt GSPIA

Major: International Studies/Political Science

GPA: 3.00 (3.4 in major)

GRE: NA, figuring what score I could need to help offset GPA.

Undergrad school: Large Midwest School

Years since UG: 2.5 years by the time I apply

Work experience: 0.5 years doing a disarmament internship for UN NGO at UN HQ, 0.5 years marketing, 0.5 years writing in advocacy NGO,

two summer research projects with professors, currently working remotely doing military analysis for a NGO

Coursework: Statistics, want to re-enroll next year to take econ.

Language: Intermediate German and Spanish

SoP:  I know everyone says their's are "great" but I plan on spending this summer writing them out and tailoring my focuses in each program.

LoR: One from my undergrad IS director, one from a professor I know well and one from my former supervisor at my UN internship

Other: I did well in a student public policy competition I entered (Went up against students from Ivy League Schools), so that should be a good boost. Heavily involved with Model UN at my University while an undergrad. Currently a volunteer with a few different disarmament organizations that I help remotely. I staff around three Model UN conferences as well and hold senior rolls in each.

My main question is, what type of GRE scores do you think I should aim for? I believe I have a strong work, volunteer and research background so I want to try to really develop good SOP so I can be considered for funding. I know my GPA is a set-back so what GRE scores could maybe help offset that?

#625 interdisciplinaryangst

interdisciplinaryangst

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:50 PM

Your stats are quite similar to mine. Did you apply for this cycle or are you applying next cycle?

I can only speak of LSE but from what I have seen they don't put too much emphasis on work experience so as long as you have good grades (which you do) in a relevant field you should be good. I think Oxford might be a bit more rigid and want GPAs above 3.8 but you are very close so with the right letters of rec and personal statement, you can definitely get in!!

If you did apply this cycle, did you hear back from any schools? Best of luck to you! :)

I got into Columbia's Human Rights Studies program and actually decided to pull my Oxford app (thinking a policy degree may be best for after an MA). Still deciding whether to accept.

Best of luck to you too! Where did you apply?

#626 sp108

sp108

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Application Season:Not Applicable

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

Program: MPA/MPP

Schools considered: SAIS, SIPA, Harris, Sanford, more I should look at? Prefer staying on the East Coast

Major: Triple Major - Accounting, Finance, Business Economics (I am an outsider, how will this affect me?)

GPA: 3.47 (I know it's low but I had heavy coursework)

GRE: Haven't taken yet and in the process of studying.  I seem to be getting upper 150s in quantitative and mid 150s in verbal.

Undergrad school: SEC school

Work experience: 1 year in DC working with government consulting work. 2 years at a Big 4 Accounting firm.

Coursework: Economics, Finance, and Accounting coursework.  A few political science, math, and statistics courses.

Language: Spanish, Hindi

SoP:  We will get to that.  But I will be emphasizing my passion for wanting to be consulting and research but with projects with an International focus.  My interests are: Economic Development and Policy, International Economics and Finance, Emerging Markets. I want to improve my statistical/analytical skills. I want to get applied experience on consulting projects.  I believe I can use my private sector consulting experience to leverage it to the public sector arena.

LoR: Managers at my Big 4 firm, I was a research assistance for a corporate finance professor of mine but I haven't been able to get a hold of him.  Not sure what to do here.

Other: I am part of a World Affairs Council organization (trying to show interest) where we have networking events and conferences, I am also an English tutor at the International House in my city.  I am a committee member of a childrens literacy organization in my firm, I have been abroad to a few countries.

Edited by sp108, 05 May 2015 - 07:31 PM.

#627 DehJayster

DehJayster

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

Hi everyone! I'm planning on applying to several China studies/security studies programs in the Washington DC area. I'm a rising senior in college and have yet to take the GRE, but I was wondering if you think my academic experiences/work experiences are on track. Thanks so much!

Schools: Georgetown SSP (concentration in military operations), SAIS (Dual Concentration in China Studies and Security Studies), Elliot, SIS. Are there more schools that you would recommend looking at for China Studies and Strategic Studies?

Undergraduate institution: Top 40
Undergraduate Major: Government, Hispanic Studies minor
Undergraduate GPA: 3.77 overall, 3.89 in Government

GRE: Took a practice test. 160 V, 160 Q
Years Out of Undergrad: 0 years
Years of Work Experience: 2 years
Describe Relevant Work Experience:

Internship - US Overseas Private Investment Corporation: 3 months (extensive economic analysis and quantitative work)
Teaching English in Taiwan: 5 months
State Department Virtual Internship: 10 months
Internship - US government agency A: 3 months
Internship - US government agency B: 5 months
Research Volunteer - Air Combat Command/IA: 5 months (brainstormed ideas on how to improve USAF RAS/PAS officer training programs, presented my findings orally to more than 10 USAF senior officials and drafted a policy brief regarding my recommendations)
College Student Assembly: 2.5 years (promote town town relations, speak in front of the city council to advocate for student rights and housing reforms, event planning and management)
Internship - State Legislature: 2 months
Internship - US Senate: 3 months

Languages:
English: Native
Mandarin Chinese: Functionally Native (can read simplified and traditional)
Spanish: Full Professional Proficiency
French: Intermediate
Taiwanese Hokkien: Limited

Quant:

Took several AP courses in high school, received As and high Bs on all of them. 5s on AP exams in Statistics, Calculus, and Macroecon.

College coursework:

Economics and National Security (A)
Introduction to Microecon (B+)
Intermediate Macroecon ( B )

Awards:
NSEP Boren Scholarship
Member, US National Language Service Corps

Other:
Born in China
First generation immigrant and naturalized US citizen

SOP: Focused on how my parents' activism at Tiananmen Square inspired me to pursue a career in US China relations and how I became interested in military analysis during my internships with the US government and study abroad experiences in Taiwan. My research interests mostly have to do with Chinese military strategies and the People's Liberation Army.

LOR: 1 from a senior Foreign Service Officer who has served in China, 1 from a prominent, retired intelligence officer who is also a professor at my school, 1 from an international relations professor at my school who knows me really well.

Questions:
- Do you think I have a shot at Georgetown's security studies program right out of undergrad?
- Are there any other great China studies programs that you would recommend applying to?

Edited by DehJayster, 12 May 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#628 chocolatecheesecake

chocolatecheesecake

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:MPP (Class of 2016)

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:37 AM

Hi everyone! I'm planning on applying to several China studies/security studies programs in the Washington DC area. I'm a rising senior in college and have yet to take the GRE, but I was wondering if you think my academic experiences/work experiences are on track. Thanks so much!

Questions:
- Do you think I have a shot at Georgetown's security studies program right out of undergrad?
- Are there any other great China studies programs that you would recommend applying to?

Your academic and internship experiences seem very focused and on track. You obviously have a strong focus and know exactly what you want to study, which is great. To me, I think the question now is what you will get out of attending graduate school versus going into full-time work after undergrad. I think at this stage, there's not much you can get out of graduate school that you can't get before you graduate. In other words, since you have another year of school left, you can take some electives in policy, perhaps statistics, and defense/military studies and East Asian studies. 

You can get a taste of work experience from doing many internships, as you have, but it's not a substitute for full-time work. Even though you have a specific idea of what you want to study, I would still suggest you get a few years of work experience, figure out what exact sort of field you want to work in, and understand what it's like to do that work with a long time horizon, so you can know whether you want to commit to it for 10 or 15 years as a career. For example, you could end up going into advocacy or lobbying with your interests, or go the research and think tank route, or become an academic, or go into consulting, or go Foreign Service, etc. etc., but work experience can best tell you which route to go (or not go). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users