The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

21 minutes ago, Sam992 said:

Thanks in advance -- would appreciate an assessment of my profile below:

Undergrad: BA Economics / Political Science from a good non-Ivy US school (Duke/UChicago/Northwestern/etc)

Work-ex: 2 years at one of the elite management consultancies (McKinsey/Bain/BCG) and one year at an IFI (World Bank, IADB, etc)

Nationality: American

GMAT: 760 [will take the GRE as well]

GPA: 3.9

Shooting for:

KSG
WWS
SIPA

Basic "story" is that I'm passionate about bringing private sector efficiency to inefficient public sector institutions. Will likely apply to MBA/MPP and MBA/MPA programs, but only at the top ~3-5 public policy schools. 

Main concerns/questions is that my profile is very private sector-heavy. Any thoughts on how to make sure the commitment to public service comes through? I also have an F on my transcript from when I slept through a class final exam, but I retook it the next year and got an A in the course...it ended up having no impact on my GPA, but I am still nervous that it will affect my chances since it is an F nonetheless.

Appreciate your help!

You'll be fine and with good execution should have a shot at a healthy scholarship at SIPA and should be very competitive at Wilson. I'm not sure how much money Kennedy gives, even to the strongest applicants; I would suggest you apply at SAIS and Fletcher as well. 

Your main area of concern is not coming off as an incredibly arrogant know-it-all type, so stay humble, carefully watch your tone (ie saying you want to bring private sector efficiency to all those 'inefficient' public sector institutions likely won't go over well what makes you think the private sector is more efficient than public? seen any news stories on wells fargo lately?), and craft a clear, simple compelling rationale for how grad school will enable you to keep moving forward at World Bank types of places and a specific idea or two on how it will help you achieve greater impact for the organization and those it serves.

On 9/18/2016 at 6:47 PM, makingtheleap.back said:

First, I owe a big thank you to the entire gradcafe community. As a lurker, I learned quite a bit about everything from GRE prep to which programs are more academic vs. more professionally oriented. I'm returning to school after a few years working, so it's been really nice to have a support system (even if none of you know me). 

Current List: UC Berkeley (Goldman), Georgetown (McCourt), Chicago (Harris), UVA (Batten), Michigan (Ford), Washington (Evans) -- also, I'm interested in MIT's MSci program, but that might be OT. 

GPA: 3.65, 3.9 Major GPA (International Studies, Focus on US Foreign Policy, Top 10 program for field, but definitely not Ivy). 

GRE: 169V, 161Q, Writing unknown (took it yesterday). 

Work Experience: 2 political campaign cycles in leadership positions (plus an internship in '08), 2 years in small business leadership (non-founder but with some policy overlap), 1 year as an academic coach at a community college (with experience setting/implementing new training/assessment policies). 

Quant Background: Calc I, II, Stats, Econometrics, Applications of Econometrics in a Professional Capacity

Languages: Intermediate in two beyond English (but they are very common, nothing crazy). 

SOP: I do and will have very clear, well articulated reasons for being interested in policy, but don't want to share too much on the interwebs. 

LOR: Reaching out to a couple undergrad professors who knew me very well at the time; hopefully that goes well (if anyone has experience doing this and has suggestions, that would be wonderful). Will have at least one very good professional rec. 

Do you think the schools I'm looking at are reasonable? I'm also very interested in the possibility of a PhD in Poli Sci after a MPP/MPA program (I have a deep and unfortunate love of teaching, but have zero peer-reviewed, published research experience). Are there certain programs I should look at/stay away from? 

Wanted to add Duke (Sanford) to the list, add that I got a 5 on AWA, and ask beyond the typical am I competitive question (which would be great) if anyone has suggestions on framing my work experience (it's all decent in terms of leadership, but none directly policy related, and there's no specialization on a single sector). 

OK, I've been reading about all these impressive people seeking opinions on their competitiveness. My stats are nowhere near most, but here are my stats. Grateful for any insights on what MPA/MPP programsI could possibly hope to apply to.

GPA:

My GPA is 3.23, mainly because I (stupidly) decided to challenge myself in undergrad and took a bunch of math classes that I shouldn't have probably

GRE score:

V163, Q149, writing still to come (I'm expecting a 5 or above, but you never know). I'm retaking the GRE in two months to improve my quant to close to 160, and hopefully also to push up my verbal by a couple of points.

Work experience:

Six years. I've worked in a leadership role in a nonprofit in DC, a researcher for a major INGO and ran my own business for three years

Have been published a few times.

Language skills:

Speak English with full professional proficiency; speak three other languages.

Undergrad academics

Went to a four-year institution in the South. Not an Ivy, but respected in its own right.

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching):

Lived and worked in two different countries for many years, as a conflict-related refugee in one. Currently living in a developing country. Taught ESL for four years during middle and high school. (I don't count these years in my "professional" work experience)

Recommendations:

I have two very strong recommendations, one from a professor, the other from an employer. The third one is from a professor who wrote nice things but lacks specifics.

Edited by DogsArePeopleToo

7 hours ago, tyladm said:

Looking at going into experimental social psychology.

Current List: UC Santa Barbara, NDSU, UNL, U of MN (Twin Cities), University of Denver

GPA: 3.75 overall, 4.0 major

GRE: 2nd test- 162 V, 155 Q, 5.5W; 1st test- 157 V, 158 Q, 4.5W (sending all and praying schools will be gracious and superscore)

Work Experience: nothing very related; Worked at career services center for 2 semesters, working with students on their resumes. other than that, all random jobs to get money to pay for school, but have been at every job for 2+ years

SOP: I'm working on it, but still not feeling very confident. 

LOR: I have one strong recommendation from a professor I have done research with. Another that likes me a lot that will most likely be strong. And a couple other options. (I transferred a number of times and didn't decide on grad school until late in the game, so I didn't get a chance to really make a strong impression). 

Any advice about SOPs, getting recommendations, pretty much anything. I'm a newbie (will graduate with BA in Psych in the Spring) and I'm very nervous about the whole process. I keep second guessing myself and freaking out that I can't go to grad school. Thank you!

@tyladm, you may be looking for the Psychology forums: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/8-psychology/ This is mostly public policy/ public affairs/ int'l affairs. 

Program: International Relations

Interests: Political Risk, Security

Schools Applying To:  SAIS - Global Risk (Bologna), St. Gallen MIA, Science Po

Undergrad Institution: Large Public School - Relatively well-respected but not a public Ivy.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.1, political science GPA is 3.4

Undergraduate Major: BS in Political Science

Law School: Mid-tier (top 20% of class)

GRE: 164V, 158Q, and 5.0W

Years of Work Experience: Fourteen years.

Languages: English, some French and Russian.

Work Experience:  Fourteen years in every type of legal setting imaginable: large firm, mid-sized firm, solo, and now running a company's legal department.

LORs: One strong one from the CEO of my current company.  A relatively strong one from a former colleague who later became a supervisor.  All programs told me professional letters were fine considering my time out of school.

Other Things: I am currently working on a certificate in International Security from an Ivy, and will likely complete that with a 4.0.

I am especially interested in hearing from people with knowledge of the SAIS Global Risk degree program.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone wishes to share.

Program: International Affairs, focus on Conflict or US Foreign Policy

Interests: international security & conflict

Schools Applying To:  Georgetown SFS (I had a friend that got into Harvard for undergrad with the same stats as me and I use that as motivation to apply for things even if I know I won't get in...); American SIS; Tufts Fletcher; King's College London Dept. of War Studies; LSE; St. Andrew's 

Undergrad Institution: NYU

Undergraduate GPA: 3.57, I think a tiny bit higher in the major

Undergraduate Major: Political science

GRE: 166V, 162Q, and 5.0W

Work Experience: basically none, straight from UG. definitely the weakest part of my app/why I'm afraid I'm not getting in anywhere. I had an unrelated internship (events) in a different major freshman year, I've been a Resident Assistant for 2 years, and I'm interning this October - December at an NGO that works with the UN

Languages: intermediate italian

LORs: One of my academic references is pretty good, small class, good term research paper, pretty well known professor. Other academic reference isn't great- the professor liked me but it was a big class based entirely on in-class exams- I asked him to write because it was the class that helped me decide to go into FP. Professional references (for schools that require them) are either my supervisor in my RA position or for my internship. 

Other Things: I'm a military brat, so lots of international experience + semester abroad in London. Hoping my SOP/LOR/GRE scores help make up for no work experience, if anyone has recommendations...

Any thoughts to share are welcome!

On 9/27/2016 at 5:18 AM, DogsArePeopleToo said:

OK, I've been reading about all these impressive people seeking opinions on their competitiveness. My stats are nowhere near most, but here are my stats. Grateful for any insights on what MPA/MPP programsI could possibly hope to apply to.

GPA:

My GPA is 3.23, mainly because I (stupidly) decided to challenge myself in undergrad and took a bunch of math classes that I shouldn't have probably

GRE score:

V163, Q149, writing still to come (I'm expecting a 5 or above, but you never know). I'm retaking the GRE in two months to improve my quant to close to 160, and hopefully also to push up my verbal by a couple of points.

Work experience:

Six years. I've worked in a leadership role in a nonprofit in DC, a researcher for a major INGO and ran my own business for three years

Have been published a few times.

Language skills:

Speak English with full professional proficiency; speak three other languages.

Undergrad academics

Went to a four-year institution in the South. Not an Ivy, but respected in its own right.

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching):

Lived and worked in two different countries for many years, as a conflict-related refugee in one. Currently living in a developing country. Taught ESL for four years during middle and high school. (I don't count these years in my "professional" work experience)

Recommendations:

I have two very strong recommendations, one from a professor, the other from an employer. The third one is from a professor who wrote nice things but lacks specifics.

You haven't mentioned anything about the programs you're going for. Assuming that you're going for some sort of int'l affairs degree given your INGO work background.

Six years out of undergrad, people will pay relatively little attention to your GPA (3.23 is not low enough to worry). In general, it matters less the further you move away from undergrad. Your GRE becomes much more important, so make sure to study hard for the quant score, and get it up. If you can't manage more than 155, I would bolster your quant credentials by taking a class on microeconomics at a community college or online course and getting an A on it. Doing that anyway reassures schools that you can still cut it in the classroom. Otherwise, your work experience puts you at a relative advantage. Just make sure you come up with some good numbers GRE-wise, and you'll be a very competitive applicant with funding prospects at most schools if not the top ones.

17 minutes ago, chocolatecheesecake said:

You haven't mentioned anything about the programs you're going for. Assuming that you're going for some sort of int'l affairs degree given your INGO work background.

Six years out of undergrad, people will pay relatively little attention to your GPA (3.23 is not low enough to worry). In general, it matters less the further you move away from undergrad. Your GRE becomes much more important, so make sure to study hard for the quant score, and get it up. If you can't manage more than 155, I would bolster your quant credentials by taking a class on microeconomics at a community college or online course and getting an A on it. Doing that anyway reassures schools that you can still cut it in the classroom. Otherwise, your work experience puts you at a relative advantage. Just make sure you come up with some good numbers GRE-wise, and you'll be a very competitive applicant with funding prospects at most schools if not the top ones.

Thank you very much for responding!

Let me answer some of your questions:

I am planning to study public policy. I was thinking to test my luck by applying to a mix of schools like HKS, Wilson, SIPA, Sanford, Indiana, Maxwell, Wagner, Bush, Martin (UK). That list tends towards the ambitious, but it's based on the hope for an improve quant score. Might drop some of the schools, depending on how my GRE retake turns out. But I'd still appreciate any thoughts on what schools I might realistically add or remove from this list.

From undergrad, I already have two introductory and two intermediate economics courses, plus an intermediate statistics course and an introductory accounting course. I have B level grades in all of them.

My TOEFL score, to the extent that it matters, is 116 out of 120.

30 minutes ago, DogsArePeopleToo said:

Thank you very much for responding!

Let me answer some of your questions:

I am planning to study public policy. I was thinking to test my luck by applying to a mix of schools like HKS, Wilson, SIPA, Sanford, Indiana, Maxwell, Wagner, Bush, Martin (UK). That list tends towards the ambitious, but it's based on the hope for an improve quant score. Might drop some of the schools, depending on how my GRE retake turns out. But I'd still appreciate any thoughts on what schools I might realistically add or remove from this list.

From undergrad, I already have two introductory and two intermediate economics courses, plus an intermediate statistics course and an introductory accounting course. I have B level grades in all of them.

My TOEFL score, to the extent that it matters, is 116 out of 120.

A few thoughts. Highly suggest that you figure out what you want out of a program and apply to only a handful at the most. They can vary in prestigiousness/name/difficulty to get into, and you can remain ambitious, but make sure you know what you want. HKS is quite different from Sanford which is quite different from Maxwell. 

If you got Bs in undergrad quant courses, it makes it even more important to get a good GRE quant score and re-take some of those classes. You want to show them you can really handle those now, and do well. 

Finally, being a foreign student will definitely change the calculations a little bit. Make sure to tell your SOP especially well, and relate how this school in particular will help you on your way. The private schools will be more likely to give you money, so maybe not as much from Indiana and Bush. 

54 minutes ago, chocolatecheesecake said:

A few thoughts. Highly suggest that you figure out what you want out of a program and apply to only a handful at the most. They can vary in prestigiousness/name/difficulty to get into, and you can remain ambitious, but make sure you know what you want. HKS is quite different from Sanford which is quite different from Maxwell.

That's very helpful feedback. I am applying through an international exchange program run by the US government. They only require a "personal statement" and a "statement of study objectives," so it's hard to tailor it to any particular program. We get to express preferences for universities through the program, and they do the rest - and could disregard our preferences if they judge us more suitable for a different school.

We're not allowed to apply to universities directly, but it is possible - though difficult - to obtain a waiver.

Ah, the complicated world we live in...

I would love some feedback on if the options I am pursuing seem feasible and how to improve my odds. I am still a ways out from applications, as I am hoping to apply for Masters in Public Policy Programs for Fall 2018, but I am worried that I may be aiming too high.

GPA: My cumulative GPA is 3.245, with a 3.6 in my major (Health Science). I have stellar grades in all of my policy related classes as well as A's in all of my related quant. classes like microeconomics, health economics, and statistics. My GPA is pulled down primarily by science classes from my first major including anatomy and physiology. 

GRE score: I'm not officially taking the test until December, but my average practice test scores are V: 162 Q: 159

Work experience: I have 2 years of work experience at a statewide health related non-profit. 

Undergrad academics: I got my degree from a 4 year public university, it is highly ranked in our region but is by no means a prestigious university. One of my concerns is that I actually attended 4 different schools on my path to get a degree (2 community colleges, a more prestigious but still public university, and then school I graduated from) but there is nothing I can do to change that now. 

Recommendations: I will have 3 recommendations. 2 are academic, from professors in my undergraduate program and the other is from the CEO of my current organization. 

Potential Programs: UC Berkeley (Goldman), Harvard (Kennedy), USC (Price), University of Washington (Evans), Georgetown (McCort), UCLA (Luskin), University of the Pacific (McGeorge School of Law), & California State University, Sacramento (my backup school). 

I do plan on using the optional essay to give more personal background and hopefully make up for my subpar grades and no-name university.

Hi All, 

I would really appreciate any input you all can provide on my application.

Undergraduate School: University of Virginia

GPA: 3.77 GPA, Phi Beta Kappa, Dean's List every semester, double majored in Foreign Affairs and Middle Eastern Studies

GRE: 170 Verbal, 156 Quant, 5.5 AWA

Work Experience: 3 years at highly regarded international relations magazine/ think tank as a research assistant/ admin person, 1-year internship in Cairo, ~3 years as an intern at the FBI (over the summer, during semesters, not consecutive) doing random admin work.

Quant Background: Unfortunately scanty. I took microeconomics (A-) and am planning to take an online course in macroeconomics before apps are due in January.

International Experience: 1 year living in Cairo, Egypt after graduation and one semester of study abroad in Scotland (I was evacuated from Cairo due to the Arab Spring and had to go from Cairo to a tiny, cute Scottish town)

Languages: 3 years of Arabic at the college level, one year living in Cairo, 3 years of studying under private tutors. Some mediocre German from high school and a couple of college courses.

I'm hoping to get into the top programs, but I don't know if I even have a chance. I'm planning to retake the GRE in a month to bump up that quant score. Do I have any chance at getting into SAIS, SIPA, Georgetown, Yale, or Tufts? If not, where do I have a chance of getting in (and getting funding).

Thanks!

Christine 

On 9/27/2016 at 4:16 PM, OldMan77 said:
13 hours ago, cbx2v said:

Hi All, 

I would really appreciate any input you all can provide on my application.

Undergraduate School: University of Virginia

GPA: 3.77 GPA, Phi Beta Kappa, Dean's List every semester, double majored in Foreign Affairs and Middle Eastern Studies

GRE: 170 Verbal, 156 Quant, 5.5 AWA

Work Experience: 3 years at highly regarded international relations magazine/ think tank as a research assistant/ admin person, 1-year internship in Cairo, ~3 years as an intern at the FBI (over the summer, during semesters, not consecutive) doing random admin work.

Quant Background: Unfortunately scanty. I took microeconomics (A-) and am planning to take an online course in macroeconomics before apps are due in January.

International Experience: 1 year living in Cairo, Egypt after graduation and one semester of study abroad in Scotland (I was evacuated from Cairo due to the Arab Spring and had to go from Cairo to a tiny, cute Scottish town)

Languages: 3 years of Arabic at the college level, one year living in Cairo, 3 years of studying under private tutors. Some mediocre German from high school and a couple of college courses.

I'm hoping to get into the top programs, but I don't know if I even have a chance. I'm planning to retake the GRE in a month to bump up that quant score. Do I have any chance at getting into SAIS, SIPA, Georgetown, Yale, or Tufts? If not, where do I have a chance of getting in (and getting funding).

Thanks!

Christine 

The question isn't if you can get in; the question is how much $$$ the programs will give you. You're a nearly ideal candidate, so drive the hardest bargain you can. Schools will slobber over your UVA degree and GPA, Cairo experience, and - especially - your FBI internships (schools love gold-plated names like the FBI). Three years of relevant, if low paid, international affairs experience is the cherry on top. Just be sure to work hard on your statement of purpose. If you have a security clearance from the FBI, that drastically improves your career chances (and is something you should make clear you have in your apps), though I see you did not pursue a career with them post-graduation.

As you don't seem to have a huge preference regarding schools or location, I would suggest applying at ALL of the programs you listed and simply taking the one that gives you the most money. I would counsel you to be disappointed with anything less than a half-tuition scholarship, and to shoot for more.

One more thing - you come off as having had a rather charmed life, so infusing your application with a sense of purpose and determination to 'give back' and 'make the world a better place' in a very specific way will be helpful for making you more competitive for scholarships - and/or revealing any significant hardships you have personally overcome.

Good luck.

23 hours ago, went_away said:

The question isn't if you can get in; the question is how much $$$ the programs will give you. You're a nearly ideal candidate, so drive the hardest bargain you can. Schools will slobber over your UVA degree and GPA, Cairo experience, and - especially - your FBI internships (schools love gold-plated names like the FBI). Three years of relevant, if low paid, international affairs experience is the cherry on top. Just be sure to work hard on your statement of purpose. If you have a security clearance from the FBI, that drastically improves your career chances (and is something you should make clear you have in your apps), though I see you did not pursue a career with them post-graduation.

As you don't seem to have a huge preference regarding schools or location, I would suggest applying at ALL of the programs you listed and simply taking the one that gives you the most money. I would counsel you to be disappointed with anything less than a half-tuition scholarship, and to shoot for more.

One more thing - you come off as having had a rather charmed life, so infusing your application with a sense of purpose and determination to 'give back' and 'make the world a better place' in a very specific way will be helpful for making you more competitive for scholarships - and/or revealing any significant hardships you have personally overcome.

Good luck.

You have no idea how happy your reply made me! And thank you for the tips on pushing for more funding; I had no idea that I could expect that much! I will work hard on my SOP and will emphasize my volunteer work and career goals (which actually are to get into something where I can give back). Thank you again for your help!

28 minutes ago, cbx2v said:

You have no idea how happy your reply made me! And thank you for the tips on pushing for more funding; I had no idea that I could expect that much! I will work hard on my SOP and will emphasize my volunteer work and career goals (which actually are to get into something where I can give back). Thank you again for your help!

No problem, drop me a line when it comes to decision time; I'll be curious to see how you do. Another point on the issue of 'giving back:' being humanitarian and all is helpful - especially if its genuine and backed up by history of doing it - but it would also be helpful to give a sense of giving back to the grad school in question down the line once you graduated through mentoring, career panels, being a Very Prestigious Graduate, and helping out the school's students that come after you. You can start to build that profile by showing ways in which you've been involved during and after life at UVA and in ways more specific to the schools in question. This will take some research and brainstorming; good luck. 

16 hours ago, went_away said:

No problem, drop me a line when it comes to decision time; I'll be curious to see how you do. Another point on the issue of 'giving back:' being humanitarian and all is helpful - especially if its genuine and backed up by history of doing it - but it would also be helpful to give a sense of giving back to the grad school in question down the line once you graduated through mentoring, career panels, being a Very Prestigious Graduate, and helping out the school's students that come after you. You can start to build that profile by showing ways in which you've been involved during and after life at UVA and in ways more specific to the schools in question. This will take some research and brainstorming; good luck. 

Great tips! Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to send you a message once I find out where I got in.

Cheers,

Christine

Hi all,

TBH, I posted before but no one responded to me - sadness! - so I'm just gonna try posting again. I would very much appreciate any responses :)

Program: MPP

Schools Applying To:  Still deciding, but so far I like Berkeley, NYU, Wisconsin, Harvard, George Washington. Looking at schools that are good for studying concentrated poverty and neighborhood effects.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.93

Undergraduate Major: Sociology

GRE: 169 verbal (99th percentile), 161 quant (79th percentile), 5.5 analytical (98th percentile)

Years of Work Experience: 1 year, 4 months as of now.

Languages: English. Speak passable Spanish, German, and Hebrew for basic conversations, but I'm not fluent so I wouldn't count it (except Spanish maybe).

Work Experience:  Since graduating I've been working as a legal advocate for people having issues with their food stamps and public assistance. Currently in a leadership role - sort of - I'm the most experienced advocate at the organization right now so I do all the tough stuff.

Other Things: Wrote a senior thesis that I'm pretty proud of. Also got a departmental award for sociology.

Questions/Concerns: 

1. Not fluent in any other language
  2. My math score on the GRE
  3. Not enough work experience?
  4. Lack of economics experience

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Edited by emilyf413

5 hours ago, emilyf413 said:

Hi all,

TBH, I posted before but no one responded to me - sadness! - so I'm just gonna try posting again. I would very much appreciate any responses :)

Program: MPP

Schools Applying To:  Still deciding, but so far I like Berkeley, NYU, Wisconsin, Harvard, George Washington. Looking at schools that are good for studying concentrated poverty and neighborhood effects.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.93

Undergraduate Major: Sociology

GRE: 169 verbal (99th percentile), 161 quant (79th percentile), 5.5 analytical (98th percentile)

Years of Work Experience: 1 year, 4 months as of now.

Languages: English. Speak passable Spanish, German, and Hebrew for basic conversations, but I'm not fluent so I wouldn't count it (except Spanish maybe).

Work Experience:  Since graduating I've been working as a legal advocate for people having issues with their food stamps and public assistance. Currently in a leadership role - sort of - I'm the most experienced advocate at the organization right now so I do all the tough stuff.

Other Things: Wrote a senior thesis that I'm pretty proud of. Also got a departmental award for sociology.

Questions/Concerns: 

1. Not fluent in any other language
  2. My math score on the GRE
  3. Not enough work experience?
  4. Lack of economics experience

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Ok...I'll give it a try.

1. Sounds like you're interested in domestic policy, so I wouldn't worry so much about lack of fluency in another language (especially since you speak passable Spanish).

2. Quant score looks pretty solid to me. Maybe not as strong as your language scores, but those are stellar. Generally you want to hit 75th percentile or above for quant, which you've certainly done.

3. This is where you may run into problems. You are (relatively) fresh out of undergrad, sounds like you're making headway advancing in your current job. Why grad school, and why now? You will have to craft a really compelling narrative in your essays to address this point. It doesn't come across clearly from anything you've written here. You should also be aware that lack of work experience will reduce your chance of getting funding, and weaken your position on the job market post-graduation (you'll be competing with folks who have the same degree, and more experience). However, these obstacles are not insurmountable if now is really the right time for you to go back to school.

4. I wouldn't worry about this too much, especially since you have a solid quant score and strong undergrad GPA (I'm assuming you took some statistics/quant oriented courses in undergrad). You may want to consider enrolling in an online microeconomics course, which you can include in your applications so that the admissions committee knows that you are developing your experience in this subject area. It would also orient you to the concepts you'll need to know in your methods courses.

Good luck!

Program: MPP/MIA/MPA

Interests: Security Studies or Human Rights (specifically focusing on technology policy)

Schools Applying To:  SIPA, HKS, Fletcher, potentially McCourt or SAIS.

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts college, decently well known

Undergraduate GPA: 3.33

Undergraduate Major: BA Political Science & East Asian Studies

GRE: 162V, 150Q, 5W

Years of Work Experience: Five (3 FT, 2 PT/internships) 

Languages: English, intermediate Japanese, beginner Korean and Hindi. 

Work Experience:  Internships at nonprofits in London and DC, three years at a name-brand tech startup, currently securing another position at a small startup with ties to public sector 

LORs: Three strong ones, one from undergraduate advisor, two from former managers

Other Things: I'm fairly sure I'll be a run-of-the-mill candidate with my work background, but I'll be focusing my optional essays & SOPs on tech policy as it pertains to international relations (haven't narrowed down my focus yet, I'm thinking potentially security studies or HR). I have a pretty solid hook for one of my optional essays, I'm mostly worried about my GREs keeping me out. I'll have all my app materials ready by Columbia's November 2nd early deadline, but am considering retaking the GREs and sending my app in December. Thoughts? 150Q is pretty weak, and so is my academic quant background, but I'm going to start taking stats/econ classes at community college and have a decent amount of coding languages on my resume. 

1 hour ago, taroboba said:

Program: MPP/MIA/MPA

Interests: Security Studies or Human Rights (specifically focusing on technology policy)

Schools Applying To:  SIPA, HKS, Fletcher, potentially McCourt or SAIS.

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts college, decently well known

Undergraduate GPA: 3.33

Undergraduate Major: BA Political Science & East Asian Studies

GRE: 162V, 150Q, 5W

Years of Work Experience: Five (3 FT, 2 PT/internships) 

Languages: English, intermediate Japanese, beginner Korean and Hindi. 

Work Experience:  Internships at nonprofits in London and DC, three years at a name-brand tech startup, currently securing another position at a small startup with ties to public sector 

LORs: Three strong ones, one from undergraduate advisor, two from former managers

Other Things: I'm fairly sure I'll be a run-of-the-mill candidate with my work background, but I'll be focusing my optional essays & SOPs on tech policy as it pertains to international relations (haven't narrowed down my focus yet, I'm thinking potentially security studies or HR). I have a pretty solid hook for one of my optional essays, I'm mostly worried about my GREs keeping me out. I'll have all my app materials ready by Columbia's November 2nd early deadline, but am considering retaking the GREs and sending my app in December. Thoughts? 150Q is pretty weak, and so is my academic quant background, but I'm going to start taking stats/econ classes at community college and have a decent amount of coding languages on my resume. 

As you've rightly assessed, you'll be a borderline candidate at SAIS/SIPA/Fletcher type schools. Your academics are iffy and I don't see much international experience.

Big question is how responsible/elite/glam your current work experience is viewed and the quality of your internship organizations. If you have done internships for places like CFR and State Department that will help a lot. Tech IS hot now though, so you may get some extra brownie points for your interest in 'tech policy.' Fletcher for example is hiring a 'cyber' prof and will be interested in students with prospects and interest in tech policy. 

Program: MPP/MIA/MPA

Interests: International Development

Schools Applying To:  SIPA, HKS, SAIS, Sanford, WWS

Undergrad Institution: Non-ivy top-10 school

Undergraduate GPA: 3.7

Undergraduate Major: BA Political Science & International Studies

GRE: 163V, 162Q, 5W

Years of Work Experience: 4

Languages: English, Hindi, beginner Mandarin

Work Experience:  2 years teaching in a rural community abroad, UN summer internship, 2-years working in operations at top tech search engine

LORs: Three strong ones, one from undergraduate professor, two from former managers (some reused from last application)

Other Things: Applied in the past, and got into SIPA/SAIS/Sanford, but decided to not go, and get more work experience (wanted to strengthen analytical skills). Since last time, I'll have 2 years of more experience, as well as engagement with 2 Boards, and other community service. Have also taken economics courses.

Program: MDP, MGPS, MIA

Interests: International development policy, specifically aid effectiveness in fragile states. 

Schools Applying To:  Humphrey MDP, LBJ MGPS, Jackson.

Undergrad Institution: Oxbridge

Undergraduate GPA: 3.7

Undergraduate Major: History

I also have a British Masters degree in Security Studies, with a GPA of 3.6. 

GRE: Haven't taken it yet. Hoping for over 160 on the verbal, and between 150-155 on the quant.  

Quant: Absolutely none. An A in Maths GCSE at the age of 16. 

Years of Work Experience: 4.5

Languages: Intermediate Persian (Kabuli dialect), basic Arabic (Egyptian Colloquial). 

Work Experience:  1.5 years in the Middle East working for an NGO and a newspaper in two countries; a year in the UK working for a British NGO on child rights in conflict supporting their Middle East/Asia programmes; a year in SE Asia followed by a year in Afghanistan doing reporting, monitoring and evaluation, and project development for a large British NGO that does humanitarian aid. 

LORs: Employee LORs should be good, but it's a while since I was in contact with any professors from university. I'm sure they will write nice letters, but there's a limit to how good they can be since I graduated in 2009 (and in 2011 from my Masters). 

Concerns: 

1. I have no quant background because in the UK we don't take a range of classes during undergrad- we just pick a subject and stick with it. I'm happy to take micro, macro, and stats before applying but I have absolutely nothing quant on my transcript. Correspondingly, my GRE quant score is likely to be awful. If I get above 150, I'll be happy. I'm studying as much as I can and plan to take the GRE at the end of November. 

3. My previous Masters degree was completely academic and theoretical. I'm planning on explaining in my SOPs that I want to get an MDP/MIA/MGPS to acquire practical skills (including quant ones) that I need to move on in my career. However, I wonder if the fact I already hold a masters degree with grades that are OK rather than stellar will be a problem in my application. 

I think my work experience is the strongest part of my application, and that my SOP should be compelling- I have a clear purpose for going back to school and a clear idea of what I want to do with the degree afterwards. I've chosen LBJ, Humphrey, and Yale because the courses offered fit my interests really well; I think I'm competitive to get in at Humphrey, that LBJ will be more of a reach, and that Yale is extremely unlikely. But even if I get in at any of the three, I am worried my lack of quant and (probable) poor GRE score will mean I am not competitive for funding. 

Program: MPP

Interests: Minority politics, specifically relating to policies that concern ethnic identity and conflict

Schools Applying To: McCourt (Georgetown)

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 LAC

Undergraduate GPA: 3.4

Undergraduate Major: Political Science 

GRE: 167 V 159 Q 4 W  

Quant: Macro, Micro, Methods sequence (political science) stats courses up to probability. 

Years of Work Experience: 1

Languages: French (intermediate) 

Work Experience:  1 year of work at the Georgetown Law School doing career services

LORs: Strong letter of rec from current employer, and excellent letters of rec from two professors at undergrad

Concerns: 

1. Low GPA (did extremely well in political science courses but branched out with high level math and CS courses that did some damage)

2. Lack of relevant work experience. Although my current job as a Georgetown employee means that I do not have to consider funding (they pay for schooling) I am worried that my lack of any policy relevant positions make me a poor candidate

3. I am fresh out of undergrad, which I know is atypical for MPP programs. However, I want to start school as soon as possible while I have the tuition benefits (I do not want to stay in my current position for longer than 3-4 years, and the benefit only applies while you work full time).