2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

FYI to anyone else wondering about Stanford Biosciences, I broke down and called them and they said one big batch of interview invitations has been sent out, but there are more to go and they won't get all of them out until the second week of February!

FYI to anyone else wondering about Stanford Biosciences, I broke down and called them and they said one big batch of interview invitations has been sent out, but there are more to go and they won't get all of them out until the second week of February!

Awwwww...I feel you. I have been pretty disheartened (not really broke down, but yes, teared up) since last night when I read the CollegeConfidential that most people heard from Harvard BBS and Stanford Biosciences.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/graduate-school/1229619-2012-official-biosciences-interviews-results-72.html

Which program did you apply to?

@alexhll6, I only took the subject test (took Biochem) because one out of nine of the schools I applied to required it. Otherwise, I would have skipped it. I scored 90 percentile, but the one program that required it (Scripps Institute - CA) has not sent me an invite (although I know the've already sent them out). I do have 7 invites from other schools so maybe it helped, maybe it didn't. Hard to say.

Hey,

I took the gre biochem, got an 89% overall, but above 90% (92-95, don't really remember) in both of the fields I'm specializing in (cell and molecular) - and something like 75% in the biochem - I took it because Scripps required it and I've gotten interviews everywhere I applied, so read into that what you will

@alexhll6 as well: I think the subject test is only "vital" if it's required by a program because you don't want to risk having the adcomm immediately toss your app for not providing all required materials.

I took the Bio GRE because it is "strongly recommended" for one program.

Also I did not attend a well-known undergrad school, so I included the Bio score for all three programs as additional proof of my preparation (95% overall, 98% eco/ev/pop section).

Obviously it won't hurt to send if you take it and are happy with your score, but if you aren't confident you'd do well and/or it's not required by any program, then it's not worth the money.

As you can see from other posts here, it doesn't seem to make or break an application.

Thanks for the input. I just haven't heard back from most places and I'm starting to get worried. My undergrad GPA is on the low side (3.1), but I went to a top ivy and took difficult science courses. My GRE scores are decent (V:164 Q:163 W:4.0). I also have co-authored several publications in mid-tier journals. I figured I'd get at least one invite... So I'm trying to figure out why this is not happening... I'm wondering what I can do to make my application stronger for the

next cycle... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Anyone get word from Stanford, MIT, or Johns Hopkins Neuro?

I spoke with the coordinator for MIT BCS. He said the ADCOM will be meeting towards the end of January and invitations for interviews will be sent out in early February. The interviews should be sometime in March.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing. Second week of Feb seems ridiculously late. I wonder when the interview date they would be inviting for is.

And @alexhll6 I'm really surprised you haven't heard from anyone with multiple publications in mid-level journals. I guess your GPA probably hurts you a little, and not having the subject test might hurt a bit too. I took the Bio subject test just because I figured it could only help.

Hey! I was just wondering how many people on here applied to the University of Pennsylvania Cell and Molecular Biology group. Specifically the sub group of cell biology and physiology. I am interested to see if they sent out invites yet.

jroac: Did the MIT CSB people give you a day this week when the committee is meeting?

They didn't tell me the day, just that I should have all my materials in by tuesday so they can be assigned to a faculty member. I'd imagine they'd be meeting today or tomorrow. I don't know what the turn around would be, I'm expecting to hear back next week if I'm lucky. I know MIT biology sent out emails the next day.

I've only seen 2 or 3 posted on the survey form, nothing specific about which group. I wrote my statment sort of towards the CAMB as a whole, though clearly focusing on faculty/interests of one section. But I didn't "address" that group. Are the admissions done as a whole, or do they accept a certain number of people with interests in each sub program?

(Btw, I've heard nothing back. Have heard from 6 other schools + 1 rejection)

thanks for the update virion. I wasnt sure if CAMB was cell and molecular biology or something else..but that does make sense. I did mention professors I whose work I found interesting in my SOP who were in the cell bio and physiology departments so I am hoping they know where I want to go.

Sorry @sarofino. Which WashU program was it? Assuming DBBS, which division did you apply to?

No worries, I'm happy with the interview invites I've recieved so far. Top choice at WUSTL DBBS was the Molecular Microbiology and Microbial Pathogenesis program.

Edited by sarofino