The first rejection (and the emotions that follow)

habanero

Congradulations we are pleased to offer you a teacher asssistant position in the college of arts .....Letter went on to explain I'd be teaching remedial English ....I was thrilled went around with a huge smile on my face, told all my LOTR;s, my parents (my mom cried) me in a funded masters I think is her dream, all my classmates who know the crap I have gon e through in the last two years who were all so happy for me. Woke up the next to an e-mail saying "It is with real regret that I must inform you that we cannot offer you admissions....."

What the heck?? Can someone explain this too me!

Some schools arrange funding opportunities prior to the acceptance process since doctoral programs in the US are most often offered alongside funding. The problem comes when they inform the students of the funding and the student implies that an acceptance was also in the works. The arrangement of funding does not necessarily infer that one will be accepted into a program.

I had something like this happen to me with UCLA. I was rejected and then a week later was informed that I was receiving a generous fellowship. It truly sucks but you cannot count your acceptances before they are delivered.

The good news is that, even as a Canadian, if you get into a PhD program in the USA, then you will most likely get funding of some kind. Best of luck.

It's almost the end of March and my morale is at an all-time low. I've got five straight rejections and I'm beginning to doubt myself. Perhaps, I should just give up and try elsewhere.

When I received my first rejection, I was numb. I didn't know how to react or what to do about it. It was my second program of choice, so in a way, it is preparing me for further rejection, especially for my first program of choice, which I haven't heard from yet. It's terrified me. I have no idea what my chances are. To make matters worse, while waiting, I've already looked into housing and am financially preparing myself for the program. I am so ready, but it won't matter if I'm rejected.

Well I had someone on the admissions committee contact me a few weeks ago asking if I was still interested in their program because the committee was meeting and I was one of the applicants they were "particularly" interested. I took this as a good sign. A few weeks later I saw the status updated on the webpage of my application change from "under review" to "decision made." The exact words were DENIED COLLEGE. Lovely. Got my hopes, only to not even send me a personal e-mail.

Everybody on here who had some form of acceptance only for it turn out to be not what you wanted or some sort of rejection my heart goes out to you. If not at that particular school or not in graduate school at all, I am sure you will find a way to apply your talents!

For me, when I received my first rejection, I was rather apathetic, thinking "meh, kinda expected", probably because it wasn't my top choice anyway haha... although it was rather annoying to receive the grad school's official rejection letter THREE MONTHS after I received their departmental rejection letter (especially when I am constantly checking my email for good news from remaining schools)...

Edited by FoggyAnhinga

I've been rejected to so many things, I've lost all sensitivity to it--it's overwhelmed by my drive for success and ambition for a better future.

Edited by kbui

Just got my first and second official rejections, and one which is basically a no. In 24 hours of each other.

I only applied to 8 programs, and I'm really starting to lose hope. I'm down to only 5, 2 of which are long shots, one of which is a snowball's-chance-in-hell shot, and 2 which are unlikely. I'm not entirely sure which way is up right now.

I just got my first rejection. Ego is a little hurt, but it wasn't the disappointment that I imagined. Probably because it really wasn't the program I wanted the most (my last choice actually).