Applying Fall 2013? Where?

EdNerd2013

I didn't see a thread started yet for this, so I thought I'd start one (instead of finishing up the 3 apps I am submitting today!).

I thought it might be helpful to have a thread to discuss this round of applications.

I'm applying for PhD for Fall 2013 to 8 schools:

UNC

UVA

USC

Northwestern

HGSE (EDLD)

UPenn

Peabody

UWashington

I'm applying to a combination of School Psychology, interdisciplinary studies, and Educational Leadership/Policy programs.

Where are you all applying? What programs?

Applying to Harvard and BC. Already accepted into Penn.

All Master's programs in education. Penn & BC are for teaching elementary and secondary, respectively. Harvard's program is for "prevention science", which is counseling, essentially.

Edited by CQE

Stanford - Literacy, Language, and English Education (PhD)

UPenn - Reading/Writing/Literacy (PhD)

U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign - Philosophy of Education (PhD)

UCLA - Philosophical/Historical Studies in Ed. (PhD)

Vanderbilt - Language, Literacy, and Culture (PhD)

Harvard - Culture, Communities, Education (EdD)

Thanks for starting this thread. I saw the one from 2012 and it was very active. I am hoping this one will be as well.

Stanford University- Social Sciences, Humanities, and Interdisciplinary Policy Studies (PhD)

University of Washington- Educational Leadership and Policy Studies (PhD)

Harvard University- Education Policy, Leadership, and Instructional Practice (EdD)

Vanderbilt University- Leadership, Policy, and Organizations (PhD)

Guest HEPhD13

Hi All,

I am looking at doctoral programs in higher ed--applying to the following institutions:

UPenn

UMich

OSU

UVA

NYU

Harvard

UT-Austin

Hi, everyone. I'm applying to these doctoral programs in higher education. Just finished all the applications this week!

HGSE

Penn GSE

Stanford

Vanderbilt

Michigan

NYU

Columbia Teacher's College

UVA

Penn State

Edited by PhDHigherED

I am applying to Education Policy programs:

Vanderbilt

University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill

University of Texas-Austin

Florida State University

UPenn

I have just received notification of admission to Florida State (rolling admissions)! Hoping to get into a few other schools on my list as well.

So stressful!

Hello :)

Stanford - International Comparative Education PhD

Harvard - Culture, Communities and Education EdD

NYU - International Education PhD (specializing in Global Education)

Vanderbilt - Leadership and Policy Studies PhD (specializing in International Education Policy)

UC Berkeley - Social and Cultural Studies PhD

Also applied to two MA programs at other schools as back-up options, though I'm not sure if I would go to those even if I get rejected elsewhere. Right now UC Berkeley is my first choice because of excellent faculty match.

Edited by ay761

Hello everyone,

This is my second round of PhD application and I'm applying to the programs below.

SUSE- SHIP-RILE

Berkeley LLC

U Mass Amherst LLC

Penn GSE Education society and culture

OSU

UMD Minority and Urban Education

UVA Social Foundations

I hope I won't have to go through this excruciating process again next year! *fingers crossed*

Hello everyone,

This is my second round of PhD application and I'm applying to the programs below.

SUSE- SHIP-RILE

Berkeley LLC

U Mass Amherst LLC

Penn GSE Education society and culture

OSU

UMD Minority and Urban Education

UVA Social Foundations

I hope I won't have to go through this excruciating process again next year! *fingers crossed*

Good luck to you Ray! I am curious about your application process. Were you able to get any feedback regarding why you weren't admitted? How did you go about improving your application? Are you applying to the same programs? I applied to PhD programs straight out of undergrad 4 years ago and didn't get accepted. That experience showed me that I had I still had a lot of work to do. This time around, I feel more confident about my application.

Hey everyone,

I'm applying to different Literacy and Language/Reading programs:

University of Texas-Austin

Vanderbilt

Harvard

I may apply to UVA and Johns Hopkins but right now I'm undecided. I received an acceptance letter from UPenn's Reading, Writing, and Literacy program. Good luck to everyone!! :)

Good luck to you Ray! I am curious about your application process. Were you able to get any feedback regarding why you weren't admitted? How did you go about improving your application? Are you applying to the same programs? I applied to PhD programs straight out of undergrad 4 years ago and didn't get accepted. That experience showed me that I had I still had a lot of work to do. This time around, I feel more confident about my application.

Hi Ew33! Thanks for wishing me good luck :)

About you questions,

My experience may be a bit different with other applicants who had tried multiple years because I made a significant change in the programs I'm applying to.

Last year I mostly applied to the programs in Linguistics departments. Since my MA degree is sociolinguistics I thought it'd make more sense to do so. but later I realized my research interests are more social than linguistic. Also, I have a strong background in Education so I decided to apply to the programs in the field of Education this year.

I did try to improve my application of course...

Score and work experience wise, my GRE score is slightly better and I've done 6 month internship at a UN agency.

And I've tried to improve the quality of my SOP.

I can definitely say that I'm more confident than last year but last year's all-rejection experience doesn't really boost my morale.

I hope this helped anyway! and good luck to you as well :)

After taking two years off from the grad school search (I got into PhD program in an unrelated field) I am applying to masters programs in Sociology of Education.

NYU

Columbia

University of Pennsylvania (education, culture and society MA)

good luck to everyone applying! I am starting to feel jittery already and I haven't even turned in my apps!

• 2 weeks later...

Ni hao, friends. I'm living in China right now, so my school choices are ultra-selective since I can't get out and visit schools at the moment. If nothing pans out, I'm planning on applying to more reasonable choices for 2014, when I have more time to visit campuses and look at things harder. It's kind of hard to do from Asia!

Penn GSE (Teaching, Learning, and Teacher Education PhD)

Teachers College Columbia (Curriculum & Teaching EdD)

I'm also applying for readmission at the University of New Mexico, where I was a PhD student five years ago. I'm not sure I'll head back to New Mexico when I return to the states, but I figured I'd leave the option since readmission is much less of an ordeal than the initial application was.

Edited by wjdavis

Hi everyone. I'm an international student living in China now, it's my first time to post some words on this forum! Now I am applying Master program mainly on educational technology 'cause my undergraduate major is that.

Columbia Univ. - Instructional Technology and Media

UPenn - Learning Science and Technologies

UMich Ann Arbor - Digital Media and Education

New York Univ. - Digital Media Design for Learning

Indiana Univ. Bloomington - Instructional Systems Technology

Penn State Univ. - Instructional Systems

I have also applied Stanford and Harvard University, however I know there is little chance for me to be accepted 'cause I don't have much educational working experience...

Good luck to everyone!