SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Ahh the waiting. I lucked out and received some insider intel...I imagine I'll receive word through more 'formal' channels in December. Good luck!

Congrats Nerd_For_Life!

I also recieved some informal intel yesterday that my app is getting out of the university and on to the next stage! I was told that the official e-mail would be going out next week! It's going to be a long-ass wait until the spring, and I'll still have to do the OGS dance in the meantime!

Prayers for luck and favour from the fickle academic deities commence now!

Ooooh the OGS dance. Yes. I applied to that one this year too and while my application was due at the end of November I know it won't even be looked at until maybe Feb? Thanks for the congrats and congrats to you as well surefire! I'm looking forward to receiving my official email to banish that tiny seed of doubt that always remains until I have something tangible in my virtual or otherwise mailbox.

Thanks for the congrats pbaid. Out of cautiousness I won't reveal what uni I attend though. The world is much too small and I don't want anyone in academia (peers or faculty) being able to trace anything I post on this forum back to me in real life (at least not without them putting in a substantial amount of sleuthing effort or having to ask the NSA ;) lol)

Hi everyone, just checking in here after a while.

Congrats to all moving ahead with the process!

So, for those of us who made a Direct Application from outside Canada, we shouldn't expect to hear anything for a while, right?

The only thing I heard was the application acknowledgement, and that was it. 

Graduate studies just emailed me because I made an error on my application (my start date of my program and award didn't match). They said they wanted to correct it for me, but I'm freaking out now that I won't get it because of this stupid stupid mistake.  :(

Edited by randomness

Graduate studies just emailed me because I made an error on my application (my start date of my program and award didn't match). They said they wanted to correct it for me, but I'm freaking out now that I won't get it because of this stupid stupid mistake.  :(

I emailed back with the correct dates but no one emailed me back to confirm that they received my email. Should I call tomorrow? Or would that just be even more annoying? I'm quite worried. Although, I guess they may have just received my email and fixed the error but not emailed me back. Ahhh...

I don't think one phone call would be considered annoying, I think it would be a reasonable follow-up to ensure that they received your email. Emailing and phoning them multiple times on the other hand...that would be a wee bit excessive ;)

I was on vacation and came back to two emails from the graduate department - apparently on my application, my current employment was in reverse order, making me a TA rather than a Student. In any case, they sent a second email to tell me they would fix it for me since they realized i could no longer access the application. Does this mean they are considering moving me on? Doesn't seem to me they would care if they were planning on telling me no...

In my experience dealing with administrators at both the department and university level, administrators tend to do the 'make sure' before any decisions are made. Typically, administrators go through each application before the committee looks at the to ensure everything has been completed and completed properly. Of course, your department could have missed something that was caught at the university level. That being said, each school and department is different so who knows. I think that either way you will not know until the the university (or SSHRC) lets you know!

Can people please post their schools when they post about notifications, if that's okay? :)

Some people don't post their schools so that they can maintain their general anonymity on the forum, since anyone who signs up can search and read any posts that a given user has made and people sometimes want advice on sensitive issues (dealing with supervisors and their actions, dealing with peers, etc.) or may receive information 'unofficially', in which case if they are found to be sharing that information publicly online it could cause problems for them. I know that many of the profs in my school are aware of this forum and other students at my school use it. With that in mind I do not share the name of the school that I attend.

Hi,

I received notification that my school was forwarding my application  in late November/early December for the PhD sshrc. Can I ask what happens next? This is my first time applying for a PhD sshrc and my MA application last year didn't get forwarded because of a technicality resulting from my undergrad (Bsc to MA problem).

Your application goes to the national competition stage where various committees sit and judge each application, giving it a score out of 30.

For us, we wait until April/May when suddenly everyone receives mail saying whether they were successful or not and their score is given to them. Scores are really difficult to read. For example, an application in one of SSHRC committees can receive a score of 16/30 and be funded whereas a score of 20+ in another may not be successful.

To be honest, from this point out it is pretty much a crapshoot. Best to think that the odds of winning are somewhere between 45%-50% if you make it out of your university. 

Edited by bentharbour

Hi,

I received notification that my school was forwarding my application  in late November/early December for the PhD sshrc. Can I ask what happens next? This is my first time applying for a PhD sshrc and my MA application last year didn't get forwarded because of a technicality resulting from my undergrad (Bsc to MA problem).

Now you wait until April for a decision from SSHRC. Your application will be adjudicated by an interdisciplinary selection committee that will also have an expert in the field that you are proposing to study. I have heard that once the applications leave the university, applicants will have anywhere between 33% and 50% success rate in the national competition.

Edited by Konstantin

Sweet thanks! I can deal with a 33-50% rate. It was a lot lower for the school acceptance rate for sshrc. I guess all we can do now is wait... for everything!

Now you wait until April for a decision from SSHRC. Your application will be adjudicated by an interdisciplinary selection committee that will also have an expert in the field that you are proposing to study. I have heard that once the applications leave the university, applicants will have anywhere between 33% and 50% success rate in the national competition.

Sweet thanks! I can deal with a 33-50% rate. It was a lot lower for the school acceptance rate for sshrc. I guess all we can do now is wait... for everything!

Perhaps you already know this, but SSHRC posts all the competition statistics: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/stats-statistiques/index-eng.aspx

Perhaps you already know this, but SSHRC posts all the competition statistics: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/stats-statistiques/index-eng.aspx

Thanks for the link wtncffts! The competition stats are quite useful because they include a variety of indicators.

Those forwarded to SSHRC from McGill just received notification. A little late, I guess, but good news nonetheless!

I've heard it said often that 45-50% is the number. Any way to confirm this?

Edited by Diakonos