Fall 2014 "Less Competitive" Grad Programs Applicants Thread!

This thread is really nice to see. I've been trying to find people that are similar to me (don't have 4.0 GPAs, 155+ GRE scores or tons of impressive research experience). I'm applying to Eastern Michigan University, Illinois State University, Saint Xavier University, Portland State and University of Washington. I tried to pick places that seemed less competitive. PSU and UW are probably completely out of the question, but I figured I'd at least *try*  :) My overall GPA is 3.52 which seems like a really forgettable number. In my eyes, it's impressive. I know that I've worked my butt off through college, but my advisors aren't as encouraging. I keep being told that it's not very competitive and that I really need to have a backup plan. Waiting to hear back from schools has caused me so much anxiety! It's so stressful not knowing whether or not I'm going to be moving in seven months! But this thread has definitely made me feel a little bit better tonight knowing that the applicant pool isn't only full of people with 4.0 GPAs, wonderfully high GRE scores and an insane amount of lab or research experience.  :lol:

Ssen, I only applied to three. This is because of their affordability. I applied to three CUNYs. I simply can't afford to go to another private school. I already owe thousands in loans.  :(

I know what you mean :( I've got a lot of loans already and will be taking more out if I get into a program. Good luck!! 

When I think of loans - I always look into the average salary and starting pay to cheer me up.

Hahaha basically. There's absolutely no way for us to pay for grad school without more loans, so at this point we've stopped worrying about it and are just looking forward to him being in a profession that has a quality starting pay.

I don't know the details because I've never been interested in working in the schools or with autism (apologies autismadvocate) but I know that California has some programs that will pay off students loans and other debt. That might be an interesting thing to look into.

Haha, no need for apologies ImpulsiveNixie! To each his/her/ze's own! lol  Personally, I find a lot of areas of SLP practice fascinating - if I weren't committed to autism, I would totally do something with aphasia or bilingualism.

Agreed about California, though, that does sound interesting!

Just FYI to everyone - Illinois has a tuition waiver that I know Illinois State accepts (I'm not sure about other schools).  If you get the waiver, you need to work in a school in Illinois for two years after you graduate.  Here is the link.

I'm nervous about loans too - I have a family member that went to Rush and is now over $100,000 in debt!!  :wacko: I mean, Rush is a good school, but I don't think any school is worth that much $$$.  I guess the upside is that said family member now has a pretty well-paying job, but still.  That number makes me freak out!

Well, I found BYU less competitive based on # of applications received vs. # offers. According to ASHA they only had 77 applicants last year and they offered admission to 32 of those 77. They are competitive with grades though, but at least they only look at your last 60 credits and put most of their weight on your Comm Disorder classes :)

Also, they are a lot less competitive than the program near me... UT-Austin... which received 388 applications last year and made 49 offers- YIKES. I still applied there since it is the only program close enough that I wouldn't have to up root my family and move, but it is a long shot trying to get in.

You guessed right, I am LDS :)

LDS here too.  Hopefully you will not have to uproot your family!  In me and my wifes case, we would love to get accepted somewhere outside of CA.  We are in Los Angeles County right now and it is EXPENSIVE! 

I'm hoping that my application is considered "competitive" but I'm not applying in the big-name cities. My most competitive is approximately a 1/12, but hey. I guess that's just life.

I too am applying to less competitive programs because my GRE scores are not great, AT ALL! Actually they are pretty low. I am applying all in Texas and Oklahoma. I am applying to UNT,TWU, West Texas A&M, Stephen F. Austin, Texas State, Northeastern State Univ, and Oklahoma State University- because I went there for undergrad. I know some of those programs aren't less competitive but.... I applied to a few of them last year and was wait listed so this year I am hoping for a more successful go around. 

Sounds like you have a great shot at getting in this year AmandaLee!  All I could hope for is some wait lists like you got last year!  How did the whole wait list process go?  Any insight?  What was it like being on a wait list for a few months?  Highs and lows?  I wanna know what it will be like if I get a wait list! :)

Great idea for a thread. =)

I am also applying to "less competitive" programs. This is my second year applying. Last year I only applied to one program (Idaho State University- where I completed my post-bacc). I was waitlisted and ultimately not accepted so I am crossing my fingers for this year. I am limited to where I can apply because I have a family and we live in a little town far away from any SLP programs. I am applying to the distance programs at all three universities listed below. I'm really nervous about not getting accepted. My GRE scores are certainly not impressive so I am hoping my grades, SOP, and volunteer experience will impress the admissions committee.

Good luck to everyone!

I sent off my 14th and FINAL application packet to Jackson State yesterday!  Ahhhhh Finally DONE!  Now just need to keep busy for 6 weeks to keep the anxiety down....  or just sign myself up for some Biofeedback(stress) sessions at my work!   :)

I sent off my 14th and FINAL application packet to Jackson State yesterday!  Ahhhhh Finally DONE!  Now just need to keep busy for 6 weeks to keep the anxiety down....  or just sign myself up for some Biofeedback(stress) sessions at my work!   :)

You're ahead of the game! Their due date is soooooooo late. I know my husband submitted the little online form, but I'm pretty positive he hasn't sent off the paper form yet because he hasn't asked me (ye olde secretary of transcript requests) to send his transcripts! I imagine harassing his one consistently-late LOR writer will keep him busy in the coming month. ;)

You're ahead of the game! Their due date is soooooooo late. I know my husband submitted the little online form, but I'm pretty positive he hasn't sent off the paper form yet because he hasn't asked me (ye olde secretary of transcript requests) to send his transcripts! I imagine harassing his one consistently-late LOR writer will keep him busy in the coming month. ;)

Yea, Jackson had a statement letter AND 3 questions to respond to. The questions took me longer to do than the statement. Jackson's deadline is the 1st, yet it looks like they still get their acceptances out by mid-march, just 2 week so later! Amazing compared to all these other schools!

I am keeping my fingers crossed. Being waitlisted sucked for me honestly, I was constantly waiting for some kind of sign that I was still being considered and most of the schools never gave me a rejection notice after they went through all their rounds. I emailed asking where I was in line but no one was ever able to tell me soooo that wasn't fun but... it did give me some hope that atleast I wasn't denied right off the bat. Today I received a call from West Texas about setting up an interview so I am pretty excited about that (aside from being super nervous). 

Anyone have an idea if University of Central Florida is considered a 'less competitive' Speech program? I know they admit more than once a year and a larger number of students than most programs but I don't know if that makes them any easier than others solely because of that...... Thoughts?

I am keeping my fingers crossed. Being waitlisted sucked for me honestly, I was constantly waiting for some kind of sign that I was still being considered and most of the schools never gave me a rejection notice after they went through all their rounds. I emailed asking where I was in line but no one was ever able to tell me soooo that wasn't fun but... it did give me some hope that atleast I wasn't denied right off the bat. Today I received a call from West Texas about setting up an interview so I am pretty excited about that (aside from being super nervous). 

I see.  That is exciting about West Texas!  I applied there and have not heard a thing.  When are they setting up the interviews for(date)?  

I am interviewing next week. I had a friend who interviewed Monday so, I heard there is a lot of interviews being given out something around 100, so I am sure you will be getting a call soon!  :rolleyes: I need to start preparing... NOW! 

Got notification from Idaho State that my app. is complete and will hear back in April!  eeeek!  Long time.  I also received an email from Fort Hays State.  Scheduled a phone interview for Wednesday 2/12! 

Edited by twinguy7