2014 SLP Admissions Thread

Congratulations!! UOP is on the top of my list. To chime in like the others, I say you should put down the deposit. May I ask what are your stats, experience, etc?

Thanks! I've decided I'm going to put the deposit down and see how it plays out. I hope you hear good news from them soon, too :) 

I finished undergrad in 2012 and decided to live abroad and teach English, so I think that experience may have helped on my applications. I know Spanish and Korean, and did different volunteering with adults and children while in undergrad. GPA was 3.96 and my GRE scores weren't that awesome - V: 530 Q: 540 (I took the old GRE) and 4.5 writing. 

Hi everyone. So I have a question. Do schools tend to notify everyone at one time about interviews? If one person got contacted about an interview, but you did not does that mean you most likely won't then?

Edited by Windsey

Hi everyone. So I have a question. Do schools tend to notify everyone at one time about interviews? If one person got contacted about an interview, but you did not does that mean you most likely won't then?

I know that for Emerson, they notified some students before others. They may still be notifying - not really sure. Best bet is to call the school directly and ask.

And I got into University of Wisconsin-Madison! I think. The email says that the speech department is sending my accepted application to the graduate school to check that everything works out (minimum GPA, took GRE, and completed prereqs). And invited to the open house. I am going!!! Anybody else going?

I honestly am not sure! I submitted everything by January 15th, but my final recommender didn't submit until January 31. I was surprised, too! Good luck :) Never know, we may end up there together!!!

That's so wonderful! I submitted my online app on Jan. 20, I think. My paper statement and recommendation forms arrived around the 24th. Here's hoping! 

Edited by danielle90

That's so wonderful! I submitted my online app on Jan. 20, I think. My paper statement and recommendation forms arrived around the 24th. Here's hoping! 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I'm so excited to find out who will be going where and talk to people I may be at school with!

Congrats to everyone who has heard back from a school!!

I think I need to stay out of this post until I hear back some news - talk about anxiety-inducing! I actually went through all of my schools and made note of when they said they would start notifying. Based on that, I don't think I will hear anything until mid to late-February at the earliest. Eeeeeeeek!

Do you know when Chapel Hill will notify? I think it's March, but correct me if I'm wrong!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I'm so excited to find out who will be going where and talk to people I may be at school with!

Did they email you or did you just happen to check your portal and voila! acceptance?

I just found out I was accepted at George Washington University this morning! I am so excited! Will be waiting a while to hear back from all of the others though. 

Congrats!! Did you apply for the re-entry program? Mind if I ask you what your stats are? I'm also hoping to get in to GW but since I'm from Canada and we don't have degrees in Communication Disorders, I had to apply for the re-entry program :)

Congrats!! Did you apply for the re-entry program? Mind if I ask you what your stats are? I'm also hoping to get in to GW but since I'm from Canada and we don't have degrees in Communication Disorders, I had to apply for the re-entry program :)

Correction, Canada has one school that offers a degree in Communication Disorders.  Brock University in St. Catharines Ontario.  It is called Speech and Language Sciences.  We also have one in Sudbury, but it is only offered in French.

Did they email you or did you just happen to check your portal and voila! acceptance?

Dr. Stillman emailed me, and since I'm from out-of-field told me I can start during summer session and have in-state tuition (I'm from NC) for my duration at UT Dallas if I attend. He told me there's no pressure to decide right away though which is really nice.

Did anyone try to get in contact with the schools they applied to & ask about when decisions can be expected?

I've found that searching the results for your school name and (speech|disorders|slp) shows some pretty reliable notification trends. 

Thanks! I've decided I'm going to put the deposit down and see how it plays out. I hope you hear good news from them soon, too :)

I finished undergrad in 2012 and decided to live abroad and teach English, so I think that experience may have helped on my applications. I know Spanish and Korean, and did different volunteering with adults and children while in undergrad. GPA was 3.96 and my GRE scores weren't that awesome - V: 530 Q: 540 (I took the old GRE) and 4.5 writing. 

Hi wam23!

Congrats! I also received an acceptance from UOP earlier this week - AGH! I have been experiencing some anxiety about financial cost, 15-month load, commuting, etc. I'll be applying for financial aid and accepting the fact that I'll be paying this debt off for the rest of my life. Good luck to your decision, and hopefully I'll see you there! (Also, wouldn't worry about your numbers because I've read somewhere that UOP is an "A+ school for B+ students" - that's me.)

Is UoP super expensive? I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to take on more debt in a graduate program than what you could expect to earn in your first year on the job as a rule of thumb. Seeing as the salary for the lowest paid 10% of SLPs is $44,000, that's a fair amount of leeway.

UoP is about $66k for the 15month program.  The enticement is that you will be working 9 months earlier than the traditional 2 year program SLP's.  So I guess you could make $30k in that 9 month period going off the $44k salary. 

I had a dream that I got an interview at one of my schools! And then I woke up, and was deeply disappointed to find it wasn't true. :(  Apparently I was in a wishful mood last night because after that I went back to sleep...and had a dream that the autistic child I care for was speaking in full paragraphs. Only to wake up and find that wasn't true either... :(  (He does talk, but it's a pretty impressive thing if he strings five words together.)

U of I just emailed me - I'm accepted!! :)  I'm SHOCKED.  I wasn't expecting to hear back from schools until March!!

Congratulations! I'm so nervous because that's one of my top schools...hopefully I'll be hearing something soon too!