Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

On 2/10/2016 at 0:04 PM, wildchartermage said:

oh wow, that's great to hear! I guess I am not alone in this experience! It's a good sign that they seemed interested in my project.

I sent them an email response on Mon, Feb. 8, but haven't heard back from them yet. Hoping they will respond soon and answer my questions! 

Out of curiosity, I just checked out the deafness grant on the Italy Fulbright page and although it does specifically mention that the grant is open to "graduate students" it also lists the following:

Accepted Degree Levels:

Bachelor's
Master's
Doctoral

So perhaps they are also open to applicants with undergraduate degrees.  Wishing you the best of luck, it all sounds very promising!

30 minutes ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

Out of curiosity, I just checked out the deafness grant on the Italy Fulbright page and although it does specifically mention that the grant is open to "graduate students" it also lists the following:

Accepted Degree Levels:

Bachelor's
Master's
Doctoral

So perhaps they are also open to applicants with undergraduate degrees.  Wishing you the best of luck, it all sounds very promising!

You're right. It appears there's a discrepancy in that information, so I wasn't sure. Back then, I just decided to go for the full grant and see what happens, just in case.

On 4/17/2015 at 10:04 PM, bailey24 said:

Hi Everyone,

I applied for the Fulbright ETA to Germany this year, but declined it for another fellowship (CBYX) that has an age cap of 24.

I have aspirations in education policy, so I thought the ETA would be a perfect way to research the education system. After I reflected on it though, I think that a research/ study grant would have been better for me.

I am debating between reapplying to Germany for a study/research grant or applying to Austria. I know the Fulbright Commission "prefers" applicants who do not have extensive time in their host country. I will be in Germany for two months at the time of the application, but the commission will also be familiar with the program and know that I will be there a year even if I have not been there a whole year at the time of the application deadline. I also don't know how declining looks or if it is even something they consider given the high number of applicants to Germany.

I'd love anyone's advice/ feedback. I'm also happy to give advice as a successful ETA applicant.  

I went to a meeting about Fulbright at my university, which has a very high rate of winners (multiple winners, and all the rest were semi-finalists) and he said if you declined and apply again it counts against you and it will be unlikely that you will win again. Fulbright is not the one you want to decline if you are trying to decide between multiple. He did the Fulbright program himself when he was a grad student (history). 

On 2/9/2016 at 9:00 PM, Bluefit said:

Hey did you get it? I remember you from last year.

I did not. Didn't even make it as a finalist this year ! But I am not too down about it. Making it as a finalist last year helped me get a grant this year to do the project finally. I will probably be applying next year again but not to a country with such challenging odds. Did you hear back yet ?! 

On 2/10/2016 at 7:43 PM, streeter said:

Hi everyone... I wouldn't have realized that there's a forum here to commiserate on this daunting process.  Last time I was on grad cafe was applying for grad school... 

Anyway, I'm one of the semi-finalists for Fulbright-NatGeo, found out in January... crossing my fingers!!! Two of my friends (from MIT and Harvard) have been on the last two cycles, the inaugural and the 2nd wave, and was able to tap into them for tips.  Glad I found this and to hear from other hopefuls. I'd say I'm kinda glad that I'm keeping myself busy with finishing my thesis that I wont have to experience the pain of waiting, but having found this forum has made me more nervous.  Any Harvard '16 peeps here?

The site for my research proposal for the digital storytelling is in Brazil and Mexico, and relating it back to the US.  It's for the Critical Species theme. Having a background in design (architecture, landscape architecture) and urban studies, I'm hoping to utilize my knowledge and technical abilities in delivering the stories for my proposal.  Who else applied for the NatGeo one?

Anyway, good luck everyone!!!

Wow Congrats ! I have never applied for a Nat Geo Fulbright. But was recently awarded a Nat Geo Young Explorers grant. (after being a Research Fulbright Finalist twice but ultimately not getting the grant -_-) Good luck your project sounds amazing !  

18 hours ago, sbees said:

Hello all!

First time here. I found out this past week that I have an interview for the ETA. Any advice on how to prepare for the interview? What questions should I prepare for? It's for Poland. Any help/advice would be much appreciated! 

A few people here got interviews for the Polland Fulbright, I think it is just a few pages back. I also just received an interview invite (for open award UK on 2/15--I was dying of dread and barely had an ember of hope) and I will be doing some "homework" going through the old forums. If I unearth anything worthwhile, I'll post a reply to you.

Something that was said earlier in this thread by a previous Fulbright fellow that I repeated to the other Polland Fulbright semifinalist was that they either have you as accepted or alternate. You can be downgraded to an alternate if you bomb your interview; however, doing a killer job on the interview won't get you bumped up to alternate. What I take from this is just be confident and don't stress too much, because it is basically out of your hands at that point (just don't do horrendous, which isn't so hard, right?). I really need to find the original quote to confirm the ethos/veracity on that...

2 hours ago, sat0ri said:

A few people here got interviews for the Polland Fulbright, I think it is just a few pages back. I also just received an interview invite (for open award UK on 2/15--I was dying of dread and barely had an ember of hope) and I will be doing some "homework" going through the old forums. If I unearth anything worthwhile, I'll post a reply to you.

Something that was said earlier in this thread by a previous Fulbright fellow that I repeated to the other Polland Fulbright semifinalist was that they either have you as accepted or alternate. You can be downgraded to an alternate if you bomb your interview; however, doing a killer job on the interview won't get you bumped up to alternate. What I take from this is just be confident and don't stress too much, because it is basically out of your hands at that point (just don't do horrendous, which isn't so hard, right?). I really need to find the original quote to confirm the ethos/veracity on that...

Is this the same case for ETA grants that don't require an interview? As in, has the committee already decided what your status will be before forwarding to the next agency? 

@sat0ri let me know what you discover.  One of the more helpful things I 've found was from interviews in 2009... http://www.depauw.edu/files/resources/ukfulbrighttelephoneinterviewquestions_pomona2011.pdf  Some helpful questions to keep in mind.  I agree with your statement about the interview, I remember quotes from years pass stating the same thing.  When I asked my FPA for some advice she forwarded what the Fulbright people send: which is essentially relax and be yourself.  I think it's strange that the Fulbright committee says not all UK Fulbright awardees will have had an interview.  Have you found any evidence that this is true?  I'm glad you've finally heard back about an interview!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=1893879233

On 2/15/2016 at 0:47 PM, Photogeographic said:

Wow Congrats ! I have never applied for a Nat Geo Fulbright. But was recently awarded a Nat Geo Young Explorers grant. (after being a Research Fulbright Finalist twice but ultimately not getting the grant -_-) Good luck your project sounds amazing !  

Hey, I have been thinking about applying for a young explorers grant. Do you have any suggestions or websites you could point me to for advice? What is your project on and where are you going?

On 2/15/2016 at 9:43 AM, Photogeographic said:

I did not. Didn't even make it as a finalist this year ! But I am not too down about it. Making it as a finalist last year helped me get a grant this year to do the project finally. I will probably be applying next year again but not to a country with such challenging odds. Did you hear back yet ?! 

I am very sorry to hear that. You know I didn't even get recommended. Odd!!!!!! two years in a row recommended and selected as an alternate and not even into the second round. For future, and i know this was a topic in this forum, this go around, deciding on whether or  not to put you were selected as an alternate prior. I did that this time, and maybe it was not a factor, but next time a I AM LEAVING IT OUT!!!!!!!!...    We will seee!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, sbees said:

Dilemma1,

I noticed that the link you shared is from DePauw University. Are you a DePauw grad? I graduated from there 2 years ago. Thought it was a cool coincidence that you shared a link from my Alma mater :D

I'm not actually I just happened across it when I was searching for UK Fulbright interviews.  I'm really glad I found it since I feel the questions will be just as relevant today as they were in 2009.  Yay for your Alma mater for posting it! :D 

Does anyone know what's happening to the google spreadsheet?  Something really weird is happening to it.  I noticed all of the UK entries were removed but the count was still high at 122.  I can't figure out how to change it back.  I also noticed that all of the 2014-2015 entries say "accepted" which I'm pretty sure isn't true.  Does anyone know how to get back to an older revision?

5 hours ago, Bluefit said:

I am very sorry to hear that. You know I didn't even get recommended. Odd!!!!!! two years in a row recommended and selected as an alternate and not even into the second round. For future, and i know this was a topic in this forum, this go around, deciding on whether or  not to put you were selected as an alternate prior. I did that this time, and maybe it was not a factor, but next time a I AM LEAVING IT OUT!!!!!!!!...    We will seee!!!!!!!!!

Are you applying again ?! I will be applying to Indonesia next year. I hope you apply again. I will be happy to be going through this process again with a familiar friend who knows how frustrating this process can be !!  I know how crazy can't believe you weren't even recommended ! I was a finalist twice. Tweaked my proposal in order to be more community focused and not even recommended as well. 

17 hours ago, Swingin_Sween said:

Hey, I have been thinking about applying for a young explorers grant. Do you have any suggestions or websites you could point me to for advice? What is your project on and where are you going?

YES ! DO APPLY ! If you have made it this far with the National Geographic Fulbright there is no doubt in my mind that you would get a NGYE grant ! I leave in April to start mine so I am a bit nervous/excited/anxious !  http://www.nationalgeographic.com/explorers/grants-programs/young-explorers/ is a good place to start. If you reach out to their contact info on the website they're usually very helpful !! Direct message me if you have any other questions. Again good luck with Fulbright !! 

On 2/15/2016 at 0:47 PM, Photogeographic said:

That's amazing! Congratulations! That is indeed an honor! and thank you for wishing me luck! At the moment I dont want to think about it or keep my hopes up but it's nice to advance into it.  I've never heard of the NGYE grant, i've only done Nat Geo's Award for Mapping competition and hoping to utilize my mapping knowledge in telling the story (for my proposal).

Would love to hear more about your project! =)

@sbees, @emiliajulia and I both recently had interviews for Poland, as @sat0ri mentions. They were both for the full grant, not ETA. Details are a page back if you think that our experiences could help you. At least for me, part of the interview was in Polish to verify my language ability, which I don't expect will be the case for ETA. But I agree that relaxing and being yourself is the way to go. To me, it felt like they were largely putting a face to a name, and/or wanting to hear me talk about my work the way I might with colleagues in Poland. Good luck!

They also told me that I would hear the final decision from IIE in March. I wonder if all of the applicants for every type of grant for one country all find out at the same time. Does anyone know?

Edited by L08

22 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

Are you applying again ?! I will be applying to Indonesia next year. I hope you apply again. I will be happy to be going through this process again with a familiar friend who knows how frustrating this process can be !!  I know how crazy can't believe you weren't even recommended ! I was a finalist twice. Tweaked my proposal in order to be more community focused and not even recommended as well. 

Lets do it!!!!!!!!!! 

I'm a semi-finalist for the Rwanda ETA. Anyone else applied for Rwanda or have friends that received a Sub-Saharan ETA in the past? Looking for an estimate on when I would find out (crossing my fingers it's earlier than May!)

13 hours ago, streeter said:

That's amazing! Congratulations! That is indeed an honor! and thank you for wishing me luck! At the moment I dont want to think about it or keep my hopes up but it's nice to advance into it.  I've never heard of the NGYE grant, i've only done Nat Geo's Award for Mapping competition and hoping to utilize my mapping knowledge in telling the story (for my proposal).

Would love to hear more about your project! =)

I will be photographing the use of honey bees as a mitigation technique in the human elephant conflict in Kenya. :)elephantsandbees.com