Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

Okay so my survey results and analysis can be found here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o1QTZb-PHuih117SY9LW7rPF0-Qm_WGjUvfc7pj0NVM/edit?usp=sharing

And here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bvloEuIlsL5AohmhoBjuF_3UV_ADCF3lz8yVtkLjY9o/edit?usp=sharing

Respectively.

I get a little wordy, but the TL:DR is that I think that about 84% of applicants who were interviewed are getting in somewhere. I'll update my numbers as I get more data. To answer your question, @minja134, right now, people who have answered my survey account for about 5% of total interviews conducted.

27 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o1QTZb-PHuih117SY9LW7rPF0-Qm_WGjUvfc7pj0NVM/edit?usp=sharing

And here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bvloEuIlsL5AohmhoBjuF_3UV_ADCF3lz8yVtkLjY9o/edit?usp=sharing

Respectively.

I get a little wordy, but the TL:DR is that I think that about 84% of applicants who were interviewed are getting in somewhere. I'll update my numbers as I get more data. To answer your question, @minja134, right now, people who have answered my survey account for about 5% of total interviews conducted.

That is super awesome and wonderful work. I updated ISU interviewed numbers, wish I could have had more to add. This is all super interesting and thanks for all the hard work! 

On 4/11/2017 at 5:45 PM, Gadgette said:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone doing on Match Day?

My plan: stay home from work to spend the day with my phone, email, and Netflix. Then, regardless of if it's a good or bad day, dinner and drinks with friends.

I have class at 8:05 then I am off the rest of the day. I plan on relaxing and treating my self to my favorite foods, movies, etc. I also plan on staying off social media as much as I can and only answering necessary calls/emails :)

6 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

ONE WEEK! Idk how I feel about this. Trying to keep busy but I'm too exited, nervous and everything else haha

I specifically scheduled meetings this week so that I won't have time to think about it! This is either going to be the slowest or quickest week in history.

45 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

ONE WEEK! Idk how I feel about this. Trying to keep busy but I'm too exited, nervous and everything else haha

last week felt like the slowest week of my life...I dunno how I'm going to survive this week! 

5 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

last week felt like the slowest week of my life...I dunno how I'm going to survive this week! 

Right?! Time is just crawling along. I really empathize with Marvel's Quicksilver.

I need to focus on the exciting things I have to look forward to this week. 

My kindergartener is performing the play tonight that his adorable kindergarten theater group has been working on for months. It's all 5-7 year old kids, and they wrote the script, designed the sets and costumes, and of course are acting. It's gonna be so great. Some night this week, I'm gonna hang out with a woman I've always admired but never became close with - she texted me and said she feels the same way and wants to be more intentional about becoming friends. In addition to that, I'm going to meet with my last doula client for our last prenatal visit, which is both bittersweet because she's my last one and exciting, because it means that a baby is coming. 

What are you looking forward to this week, team?

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:36 PM, Ultrapeaches said:

And here

Respectively.

@Ultrapeaches I think something got messed up in the second spreadsheet.. unless there are now 43,000 admission spots :blink: haha

Thank you so much for doing this though!!!

Edited by Nefelibata

I'm loving this spreadsheet and filling up time looking at data! I made an other questionaire form that I was thinking we could use to see where the distribution of grad cafe users and interview locations were and add that to the spreadsheet as well.

So if no one minds taking an other quick questionnaire: https://goo.gl/forms/sQm1TzNRiDhsMQGO2

(Nervous for match day!)

1 hour ago, minja134 said:

I'm loving this spreadsheet and filling up time looking at data! I made an other questionaire form that I was thinking we could use to see where the distribution of grad cafe users and interview locations were and add that to the spreadsheet as well.

So if no one minds taking an other quick questionnaire: https://goo.gl/forms/sQm1TzNRiDhsMQGO2

(Nervous for match day!)

Man, we're gonna leave quite a cache of data for the next cohort of applicants to obsess over. Unless my assumptions are way off, close to 10% of all applicants that interviewed this cycle have answered my survey and more than that have weighed in on @metabolismo's - that's a pretty decent sample.

2 hours ago, Ultrapeaches said:

Man, we're gonna leave quite a cache of data for the next cohort of applicants to obsess over. Unless my assumptions are way off, close to 10% of all applicants that interviewed this cycle have answered my survey and more than that have weighed in on @metabolismo's - that's a pretty decent sample.

@Ultrapeaches @minja134 Yessss, I am loving all of the awesome data we have amassed on here!! This year's forum has been so helpful to me throughout this whole process... it's got a wealth of information for future applicants too! 

Now that all my interviews are over, I'm finding myself liking two programs a ton and not being able to pick out a clear number one. I can't rank these places. I have no idea what to do. Hopefully I can figure it out in the next 6 days.

I know everyone is different.. But if anyone has any advice to offer I'm open to it!

My biggest dilemma with ranking my programs is that when I don't consider cost I have a certain ranking.. But of course my number one and two are about $30,000 more than 3 and 4. So then it makes me reevaluate my entire ranking. I genuinely cannot know if a specific 2 year program is worth so much more money. Does anyone know from experience, someone else's experience, or have any reasoning as to how much cost will matter in the long run, or if it's worth it to spend a ton more but enjoy the program a bit more? Thanks in advance! 

4 minutes ago, WBGC said:

I know everyone is different.. But if anyone has any advice to offer I'm open to it!

My biggest dilemma with ranking my programs is that when I don't consider cost I have a certain ranking.. But of course my number one and two are about $30,000 more than 3 and 4. So then it makes me reevaluate my entire ranking. I genuinely cannot know if a specific 2 year program is worth so much more money. Does anyone know from experience, someone else's experience, or have any reasoning as to how much cost will matter in the long run, or if it's worth it to spend a ton more but enjoy the program a bit more? Thanks in advance! 

For me my number one program is about $20,000 more than my second and third choice and the cost of living in my first program is also a good amount greater than my second and third. In addition my first choice is a lot further from home than my other two choices. However, the atmosphere and support system available at my first choice in addition to the city itself far outweighs the cost difference for me. Also I'm taking into account where I might want to live and work afterwards. I know I would not want to work in the locations of my second and third choices, but I would be pretty open to working in or near my first choice. So for me knowing that I might not have to move too far after school is done and will actually be very happy for the two years out weighs the extra tuition, moving, and living costs. Of course this isn't for everyone and cost is a very important factor, but also take into account any moving costs you might take both getting to the program city and moving away from it once you're done, any cost of living differential, and leisure opportunities in the cities themselves. I don't think it's an easy decision at all, but ultimately for me $20,000 extra for a city and program I know fits me is worth it.

35 minutes ago, WBGC said:

Gonna channel my accountant husband here and go with a long-term cost benefit analysis. Genetic Counselor salaries range something like $60,000-77,000. Obviously you're first job right out of college will be on the lower end of things. I tend to value things in time, so I look at this as "is my top program worth an extra 6 months of my life compared to the other programs?"

1 hour ago, WBGC said:

@WBGC one thing to consider is that with Genetic Counseling being a career in such high demand, tuition/loan reimbursement is easily a topic of contract negotiation with your future employer.  I know more than a handful of graduates who were able to work that into their employment offer. I've also heard a program director talk about how we should be more assertive about this (and about moving expenses!) and that most employers are willing to negotiate the matter because they are in such dire need for GC's. 

I think it depends where you are and what your priorities are. For me it's only 21 months and I already have a ton of undergrad debt. I want to go as cheap as possible, because all programs are accredited so it doesn't REALLY matter. It's also not like I'll have money or time to really explore any city I'm in. I met with a genetic counselor who shelled out for one of the more expensive schools and when I asked her (in general) what she wished she'd known before school, she said she didn't regret it but also didn't feel her education was worth $x more than any other GC program. That kind of soothed me a bit.

For me? I'm young and haven't had a full time job and so cost is WAY more important to me than it is for others. I also don't have a spouse/family/etc. to consider. I think it's really just personal. 

EDIT: That being said, my #1 is inexpensive but I also really vibed well there. If I felt the same vibes there as I felt at the other, I probably wouldn't be as seucre in my ranking.

Edited by adragonisnoslave

3 hours ago, Gorays39 said:

Now that all my interviews are over, I'm finding myself liking two programs a ton and not being able to pick out a clear number one. I can't rank these places. I have no idea what to do. Hopefully I can figure it out in the next 6 days.

I also had a difficult time ranking my top two programs.. I went through all the information about each of the programs I interviewed at and ranked them on different variables (e.g. cost, rotations, coursework, atmosphere). After I totalled all the scores, my top two programs ended up having the exact same scores! Then I looked at the variables that were most important to me and ultimately decided on my top program based on the variety, length, and locations of the clinical rotations. 

I bought a shot glass from each school with whom I interviewed. I plan on buying some M&Ms, putting one M&M in the glass for each pro, taking one out for each con, this weekend.  (I'm pretty sure I already have my ranking figured out, I just really like M&Ms and shot glasses.)

4 hours ago, WBGC said:

I definitely feel you here. My top 2 programs are both really pricey. My number three program costs a lot less and would be pretty low in terms of cost of living. But for some reason I just don't think I'd jive as well at my number three program. Of course I'd be happy to just get into a program and I'm sure I'd make the best of things, but if I get into my top 2, it's going to be a really tough call. I've gone the whole route of listing pros and cons but it's not really helping.

Edited by Gorays39

Out of curiosity, how many people's rankings were different before/after interviews?

For me, I had 5 interviews -- my #1 choice going into applications is still my #1, but the others definitely moved around based on more intangibles that I maybe hadn't considered initially. That being said, I would be thrilled to go to any of the places I visited. I think that's what is making this hard - I really liked them all, and I also am afraid of thinking too much about 'ranking' and setting myself up for disappointment on Monday if it turns out that this cycle doesn't work at at all. I am trying to just keep an open mind and see how things go, but that is easier said than done!

I made a spreadsheet (unbelievable, right? Me, a spreadsheet!) and gave the schools grades in each of 6 or 7 areas. Then I let my partner weigh in on the cities and relative tuition/cost of living costs. I liked all of my top 3 programs very much and would be happy at any of them, so the precise ranking was pretty much based on the relative merits of location. But basically no matter where I end up there will be people I love who are upset with me and people who will be happy. My partner and mom and in-laws would love for us to end up in [CITY 1]. My dad and son want us to move to [CITY 2]. I am partial to [CITY 3] as a city and we would have instant community as we have lots of friends there, but the cost of living is intimidating. Combined with a higher tuition than my other two schools, it's hard to make a case for [CITY 3 SCHOOL] even though vibe-wise they were my favorite. My daughter is a being of pure enthusiasm and will be delighted by literally any city.

2 minutes ago, Darwin said:

Out of curiosity, how many people's rankings were different before/after interviews?

For me, I had 5 interviews -- my #1 choice going into applications is still my #1, but the others definitely moved around based on more intangibles that I maybe hadn't considered initially. That being said, I would be thrilled to go to any of the places I visited. I think that's what is making this hard - I really liked them all, and I also am afraid of thinking too much about 'ranking' and setting myself up for disappointment on Monday if it turns out that this cycle doesn't work at at all. I am trying to just keep an open mind and see how things go, but that is easier said than done!

#1 stayed at the top, but #2 jump from the bottom of my list after I visited and met the faculty.

Man, I've kinda pushed the possibility of not getting in out of my mind. If I don't get in I've got to apply for this dumb physiology/biochem masters at U of L in like 2 days and beg them for early entry in the summer so that i can actually finish the degree by May 2018 in time for the next GC cycle.