2017 Applicants - Intro

Boa

17 minutes ago, matchamatcha said:

Gahhh, I feel like I could have worked on my writing sample more had they merely announced this extension with ample time before the initial deadline!  *shakes fist vigorously*

I've been feeling that a bit too about UBC, but at the same time I think it's also good to get everything in early because then perhaps they can be looking at yours beforehand.

12 hours ago, Dysexlia said:

@gradcoffee Their application website. The deadline used to be January 9th, now it says Feb 7th.

Check it out:

Deadline_SS.png

Aww, too bad they made no announcements about the extended deadline on their main webpage (or am I wrong?). If this is so, then those who were considering UBC but who missed the initial deadline would not even have known about the extended deadline. :(

14 hours ago, gradcoffee said:

Aww, too bad they made no announcements about the extended deadline on their main webpage (or am I wrong?). If this is so, then those who were considering UBC but who missed the initial deadline would not even have known about the extended deadline. :(

I think they had some bold or red text on a page related to admissions / applying about how "certain deadlines have been extended" but that was pretty much it. So, yes I think a very vague statement was simply put on their website, but that's not especially helpful.

Hello everyone! I wish I knew about this website before submitted all of my applications, but at least I have found it. I have been obsessively watching both the results feed and the forums here to see if anyone has heard back from schools I applied for. This morning I figured to join in on the fun.

I am finishing up my undergrad degree in philosophy (w/ a minor in astronomy) at the U. of Arizona, so if anyone has questions about the faculty here please feel free to ask. I did not apply to the U. of A mostly because I do not feel that my application would have been strong enough. I switched into the philosophy major around a year and a half into undergrad from astronomy/physics double major, and I immediately fell in love. Unfortunately, I think missing a year and a half to connect with faculty and take more courses in the end might make the difference between getting into a PhD program or not, even though I have a kick-ass writing sample, solid recs., and solid GRE scores. But I am not fretting! I think I have a great shot at getting into a terminal MA program and then applying from there. I think I will be much better off gaining an additional two years of study under my belt before embarking on a PhD.

Here are the programs I applied to: PhD: U. of Minnesota (rejected), UConn, Rochester, U. of Illinois at Chicago, and Carnegie Mellon. MA: Northern Illinois, Georgia State, and U. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

After just reading through the forums I can already tell I have not done enough research into the schools which I want to apply to, but at least I am more knowledgeable when it comes to applying next time (whether from an MA or from all rejections).

AOI: Applied ethics, metaphysics (specifically free will), and philosophy education. During undergrad I have worked at the Center for Astronomy Education (funded by NASA), and have loved to see how methods in teaching undergraduate astronomy courses are formed through research. This is non-existent in philosophy, but I really think that doing research into the proper teaching methods of undergraduate philosophy courses is crucial (especially general education classes).

I'm done rambling. Good luck everyone and I'll see you around!

Hi! Posting late, but I want to follow this thread for results! I'm an undergrad at UMass Boston double majoring in philosophy/sociology, and hoping to attend a grad program in philosophy. My AOI is social and political philosophy, especially in relation to social justice and public policy.

I applied to (all Boston-area schools) Philosophy PhD programs at Harvard, BU, and BC; Philosophy MA programs at BU, BC, Tufts, and Brandeis; and MS in Ethics & Public Policy at Suffolk. Accepted at Suffolk, still waiting on all the rest. 

I'd love to talk to anyone who applied to the same schools as me (or currently attends them), or has similar research interests!

On 2/8/2017 at 5:24 PM, Dysexlia said:

By the way, @ApplyingToGradSchools I just noticed that UBC extended their deadline to yesterday, so that would be why they will not be reviewing applications until the 15th. I wonder why they decided to extend!

Could be that they were giving applicants who may be effected by certain politics a chance to apply in light of such news. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SamStone said:

any one at, or applying to, KU Leuven?

I've applied to work with Karin de Boer, whose work I like a lot...but I don't know that much about the department as a whole.

I'm applying to the MA program. From what I've heard, it's pretty well-received in continental circles (after all Irigaray went there). They're especially strong in phenomenology and modern continental philosophy. Knowledgeable faculty, but not the most diverse department, if that concerns you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard from the UC Berkeley PhD program? My online application still shows as "submitted," but it looks like someone was accepted on Feb. 4th in the other forum. We're 30 days out from the April 15th deadline so it seems like some movement should be happening. I'm losing my mind over here! 

Phil. concentration in Cognitive Science/Mind/Animal Intelligence  :)

18 minutes ago, DanielleVincent said:

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard from the UC Berkeley PhD program? My online application still shows as "submitted," but it looks like someone was accepted on Feb. 4th in the other forum. We're 30 days out from the April 15th deadline so it seems like some movement should be happening. I'm losing my mind over here! 

They sent their main acceptances and waitlists at the beginning of February. I don't know of anyone officially rejected yet. Not sure whether anyone else might get good news (secret waitlist?) or if we're all just waiting for the rejection. 

10 hours ago, DanielleVincent said:

I emailed Berkeley on March 14 to ask about the status of my application, but I have not received any response yet.  My plan is to give them a phone call next week if I haven't gotten anything by then.

Edited by JurisPrudence