MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

I've been thinking a lot about combining my MFA in sculpture with something non-art related? Like Medicine or psychology, or.... I don't even know.

I've been sort of terrified lately, with all the news in the world and the defunding of the arts and going into debt and war and trump and the apocalyptic consumer culture we're in. I'm seeing this more and more, where people are working more for less and willing to put up with a lot of shit, just to receive the minimal. I feel like the quality of life in the USA is extremely poor (unless you are in the top 2%) and I am constantly hearing amazing things coming out of Europe, i.e. my friend paying $5 for insurance in Denmark. I miss riding my bike throughout the Nederlands and never worrying about getting hit by a car. But I am not in the position to move to EU now or create a bombastic happenings (however, I'm working on that!)

I don't really have an idea of how to combine my art degree or how to go about doing this, does anyone have experience with this?  

Hi all, 

I wish I had joined this forum sooner- congratulations to everyone on making it through the applications process, and on decisions and new directions for 2017!

I am currently trying to decide between SUNY Purchase and CCA (both for dual MFA/MA programs (MA in art history/visual & critical studies)), and was wondering if I might be able to ask for anyone's thoughts on these. CCA was my first choice, especially because of crossover with its social practice curriculum (my goal is to move more towards public art projects). However, even with funding, tuition would be at least $75k total for the 3 years, plus the cost of living in San Francisco. SUNY Purchase's tuition would end up being closer to $10k total for the 3 years, but 30 miles outside of the city. I'm trying to figure out if CCA would give me any opportunities that would be in any way worth going into that much debt for versus SUNY (or applying to schools again next year), and was wondering if anyone had any info/thoughts about these two schools & locations (in SF v. a train ride outside of NY)?

Thanks so much for reading this; any thoughts/info would be appreciated!

8 hours ago, Causofit said:

I've been thinking a lot about combining my MFA in sculpture with something non-art related? Like Medicine or psychology, or.... I don't even know.

I've been sort of terrified lately, with all the news in the world and the defunding of the arts and going into debt and war and trump and the apocalyptic consumer culture we're in. I'm seeing this more and more, where people are working more for less and willing to put up with a lot of shit, just to receive the minimal. I feel like the quality of life in the USA is extremely poor (unless you are in the top 2%) and I am constantly hearing amazing things coming out of Europe, i.e. my friend paying $5 for insurance in Denmark. I miss riding my bike throughout the Nederlands and never worrying about getting hit by a car. But I am not in the position to move to EU now or create a bombastic happenings (however, I'm working on that!)

I don't really have an idea of how to combine my art degree or how to go about doing this, does anyone have experience with this?  

Man I hear you on this. The art world is not a place for integrity, authenticity, romantics, etc. Although many artist embody these types of ideas, were forced to bring them into society, which as you have pointed out has many ailments. You really have to dig deep inside and ask yourself why you are doing this. Everyone going crazy on social media, turning their practices into a factory line of sorts. Quantity over quality is my observation. However this is just my opinion.

Art has always reflected culture, but I feel the distinction is becoming smaller. Riding your bike through the Nederland's seems wonderful, and way more important than having a gallery show. Again my opinion. New York is the art capital of the world, however, the reasons for this has changed over the years, in my opinion in a negative way. I can't help but think the artists/painters who I respect who lived in New York when it was just a normal option to live in would laugh at the artists of today who are living in shoe boxes. 

My two cents. Idk. Shed the ego, find yourself, do it for the right reasons. The world crazy, find your own sanity in it all. Don't sacrifice anything. I know I didn't help with "how to combine my art degree" but fuck it, with all this MFA forum craze it just ends up being so humorous. 

Edited by Chris Yuda

16 hours ago, Causofit said:

I feel you on this big time! I'm in Leipzig Germany right now about two hours driving from Berlin and the quality of life here far exceeds that of America. I don't mean to make this a Euro vs America contest but I think about it all the time. Last spring a friend of mine was in a respectable art fair. While some pieces in the fair were being sold for millions my friend is to this date still living off of food stamps and this is someone with an MFA from RISD. I think if you're going to be in America,  you have to know where you stand in relation to this system. Are you an active part of it trying to be a rockstar artist, who will at some point step on other artist? Will you try to dismantle this patriachal hyper-capitalist model of making work in your practice?There's no one right way of thinking about these issues from what I've experienced, instead I think it's what is important to you. 

Don't get me wrong either because from an immigrants lens there are still many many fascinating things about America. I may not have answered your question about a second gig but that's my two cents. 

2 hours ago, dmirko said:

giphy.gif

ACCEPTED TO NORTHEASTERN!!!

For an MFA in Interdisciplinary Art, I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

PINK MOON is real.

Also, I still have an application going on at SACI in Florence. But I think I'm good with Boston.

Congrats!!

Hi, I interviewed at Yale and was rejected and since I don't really have a way of contacting the other applicants I am asking this here: Has anyone seen the attached painting? I went to pick up my work after the interview and everything was there except for one painting. I was told that it had most likely been mistakenly packed up and shipped to another applicant. A student has been trying to track it down, but has had no luck so far, and have since heard that another applicant is also missing work. The painting was accepted into a show in June and I was hoping to have it returned in time to include.

It had a label on the back with my name and contact info, but that may have fallen off.

33vnh55.jpg

On 4/14/2017 at 8:14 AM, Poodle-Doodle said:

I feel you on this big time! I'm in Leipzig Germany right now about two hours driving from Berlin and the quality of life here far exceeds that of America. I don't mean to make this a Euro vs America contest but I think about it all the time. Last spring a friend of mine was in a respectable art fair. While some pieces in the fair were being sold for millions my friend is to this date still living off of food stamps and this is someone with an MFA from RISD. I think if you're going to be in America,  you have to know where you stand in relation to this system. Are you an active part of it trying to be a rockstar artist, who will at some point step on other artist? Will you try to dismantle this patriachal hyper-capitalist model of making work in your practice?There's no one right way of thinking about these issues from what I've experienced, instead I think it's what is important to you. 

Don't get me wrong either because from an immigrants lens there are still many many fascinating things about America. I may not have answered your question about a second gig but that's my two cents. 

Thank you for responding!

Yes I am an immigrant myself. America has a lot to offer, but I am fed up living like a rat!

On 4/14/2017 at 8:14 AM, Poodle-Doodle said:

19 hours ago, mwissig said:
On 4/14/2017 at 0:21 AM, Chris Yuda said:

Man I hear you on this. The art world is not a place for integrity, authenticity, romantics, etc. Although many artist embody these types of ideas, were forced to bring them into society, which as you have pointed out has many ailments. You really have to dig deep inside and ask yourself why you are doing this. Everyone going crazy on social media, turning their practices into a factory line of sorts. Quantity over quality is my observation. However this is just my opinion.

Art has always reflected culture, but I feel the distinction is becoming smaller. Riding your bike through the Nederland's seems wonderful, and way more important than having a gallery show. Again my opinion. New York is the art capital of the world, however, the reasons for this has changed over the years, in my opinion in a negative way. I can't help but think the artists/painters who I respect who lived in New York when it was just a normal option to live in would laugh at the artists of today who are living in shoe boxes. 

My two cents. Idk. Shed the ego, find yourself, do it for the right reasons. The world crazy, find your own sanity in it all. Don't sacrifice anything. I know I didn't help with "how to combine my art degree" but fuck it, with all this MFA forum craze it just ends up being so humorous. 

Thank you! <3

20 hours ago, mwissig said:

Hi, I interviewed at Yale and was rejected and since I don't really have a way of contacting the other applicants I am asking this here: Has anyone seen the attached painting? I went to pick up my work after the interview and everything was there except for one painting. I was told that it had most likely been mistakenly packed up and shipped to another applicant. A student has been trying to track it down, but has had no luck so far, and have since heard that another applicant is also missing work. The painting was accepted into a show in June and I was hoping to have it returned in time to include.

It had a label on the back with my name and contact info, but that may have fallen off.

33vnh55.jpg

great painting! i hope you find it!!!!

21 hours ago, mwissig said:

33vnh55.jpg

Holy shit, that's really awful that they weren't more careful... :\ I don't know any of the painting applicants this year, but as I find out who they are I'll ask around for you. Really hope that it's returned to you!

On 4/13/2017 at 3:58 PM, Causofit said:

I definitely hear you. Kind of explains my MFA of choice (although with the sciences also facing budget cuts, will I even have journals to illustrate for?).

My Bachelor's degree is a Bachelor of Science--I majored in biology as an undergrad. I've always felt a strong affinity to the arts however, so medical illustration is my personal chosen career path that can hopefully combine my two loves all while earning me a living wage.

On 4/13/2017 at 3:58 PM, Causofit said:

I think you need to think hard about how important your art is to you, and if it does have any crossover - will that take the enjoyment out of it or change your relationship to your work.

FWIW - I have been fortunate enough to make some semblance of a living purely from my work, but that's because photo has lots of inherently commercial applications. After making work for other people for long enough (while trying to also further develop my own stuff), I realized that no matter how much time I set aside for my own work, the way I thought about it was still impacted by trying to get more commercial work. I've usually been good at compartmentalizing, but there's something to be said for just blocking out the financial aspect of it for a little bit to see what happens. It's why I decided to go back to school - the way I want to explore making work with photographs has little to no value with my typical client base of magazines and companies. Don't get me wrong - I love being able to make a living from making photographs - it's better than lots of other options in so many ways, but at the end of the day it's still a service and a business and it's not art as I think of it, and I still care about making art. I look back and wonder if I'd be a better artist if I hadn't always conflated my medium with trying to get clients from the get go. I'll never know, but I'm going back to try and unlearn some of the business side of things and liberate my work if I can.

Now, if you're someone who's passion has immediate commercial applications - that's the sweet spot. If your passion is furniture building or making portrait photographs etc - it can make the whole thing easier and it's just a matter of letting the right people know about the work you're doing.

If you don't feel you need the two things an MFA is usually practical for (rapid creative development/professionalization and teaching qualifications), I would question the value of an MFA over, say, living in a vibrant community and just getting studio space and focusing on your practice on your off hours from your other work - or training specifically for the other field you want to combine your art with.

You can bring your art practice (without an MFA) into other fields a lot more easily than you can do the opposite. IE if you want to combine your art with psych or medicine you're probably better off trying to study that other specific thing instead, since you already have art making experience. 

Edited by felixo

On 4/11/2017 at 10:39 AM, Kaffeegermanen said:

Wondering if anybody here knows when the UCLA MFA (specialization in painting) responds about acceptance/rejection. I had an interview on March 1st and have been checking my email every day non-stop. 

Also I've been accepted into UPenn (MFA), MICA (Hoffberger), and Tyler (Painting), so would be happy to help anyone who needs info on any of these programs. Good luck everyone, and if anyone knows anything about the UCLA timeline I'd really appreciate some info! 

congrats on all of the acceptances! I'm very interested in hearing about Tyler if decide to go there!

Hey everyone!

I'm very excited to have been offered a spot at Rutgers––I received word yesterday from Hanneline on Easter, no less. I look forward to meeting some of you this year, and feel free to reach out if you also plan to attend Rutgers and have been lurking on here. :)

Fingers crossed for everyone on any wait lists––I can empathize with the prolonged uncertainty. For myself, it was super helpful making new work in the interim, sending in some grant and residency applications (one which already led to a studio visit with a curator/gallerist), and spending time outdoors. 

Wishing everyone the best with your results, big moves, and art-making practice. It's such a privilege to be able to pursue our work in this current political climate. We are all in this together, and it's great to have a forum to freak out about the whole process as well!

On 4/14/2017 at 0:22 AM, cottonbuds100pcs said:

if money's not your problem (not loan), by all means go to your first choice... however, if money bothers you a lot, please, please, please, don't go into that much debt... especially since we're in the field of arts/humanities where financial security is something that most of us possibly long for... the starving artist stereotype needs to be banished entirely in the art world. it's. not. worth. it.

although i have to add 10k++ debt from SUNY purchase and 30 miles outside of manhattan don't sound quite as bad. in fact, it's miles better than the CCA option. besides, you could always commute to manhattan just as yale grads go to ny (in fact, the distance is almost as equal lol).

Thanks so much, @cottonbuds100pcs; I really appreciate your input- it helps. Yep, it would all be in loans, so that's my main concern, and I agree- I wish I could go to CCA, but that amount of debt just doesn't seem possible. I'm grateful to have gotten accepted into programs in general, and SUNY Purchase does seem like a great value for those reasons.

I was accepted only into Pratt but decided to defer, probably won't end up going due to the potential debt but would like knowing that option is available.

Good news is I was accepted into a program called the New York Arts Practicum this summer and will be working as an apprentice to William Powhida!!!!!!!

!!!!!

I'm so excited to get myself to NYC, make connections and work with Powhida I've been following his work for awhile.  (Plus he's an alumni of Hunter so that's a potential good reference.)

I forgot to meet the deadline for NYAP, they reached out to me and let me finish my application and waived my fee.  They then put me with the mentor/artist I really wanted, and waived half the tuition for me in scholarship and work exchange.  The world is telling me this is meant to be. 

Edited by meghanmetier

On 4/17/2017 at 9:17 PM, Monique27 said:

Thanks so much, @cottonbuds100pcs; I really appreciate your input- it helps. Yep, it would all be in loans, so that's my main concern, and I agree- I wish I could go to CCA, but that amount of debt just doesn't seem possible. I'm grateful to have gotten accepted into programs in general, and SUNY Purchase does seem like a great value for those reasons.

There are so many fully funded programs out there!!! I was always advised not to go into debt for my MFA (because essentially its a useless degree) but its also really important to be in the right program for you. My first round of applications, I picked a school based on location and funding, and I ended up leaving after a year, because the social climate was not condusive to my practice. I realized that I did not actually do that much research about MFA programs, before jumping into applications, and there were so many components I did not consider. Now I'm more interested in finding a program that is a better fit for me and my goals, and happens to be affordable. Purchase is known for its pedagogical program, but if you are not interested in teaching that may not be the right fit for you. But spending 75K on an MFA may also not be part of your goals! Its such a tough decision!!! You could always do a program for a year, and switch if you don't like it, or apply again next year! Good luck!!

On 3/15/2017 at 9:22 PM, sarasponda said:

Anyone accepted to UCONN, but not planning to go?  I'm waitlisted and losing lots of sleep.

Maybe me! I haven't quite decided yet.

On 4/17/2017 at 2:21 PM, felixo said:

I think you need to think hard about how important your art is to you, and if it does have any crossover - will that take the enjoyment out of it or change your relationship to your work.

FWIW - I have been fortunate enough to make some semblance of a living purely from my work, but that's because photo has lots of inherently commercial applications. After making work for other people for long enough (while trying to also further develop my own stuff), I realized that no matter how much time I set aside for my own work, the way I thought about it was still impacted by trying to get more commercial work. I've usually been good at compartmentalizing, but there's something to be said for just blocking out the financial aspect of it for a little bit to see what happens. It's why I decided to go back to school - the way I want to explore making work with photographs has little to no value with my typical client base of magazines and companies. Don't get me wrong - I love being able to make a living from making photographs - it's better than lots of other options in so many ways, but at the end of the day it's still a service and a business and it's not art as I think of it, and I still care about making art. I look back and wonder if I'd be a better artist if I hadn't always conflated my medium with trying to get clients from the get go. I'll never know, but I'm going back to try and unlearn some of the business side of things and liberate my work if I can.

Now, if you're someone who's passion has immediate commercial applications - that's the sweet spot. If your passion is furniture building or making portrait photographs etc - it can make the whole thing easier and it's just a matter of letting the right people know about the work you're doing.

If you don't feel you need the two things an MFA is usually practical for (rapid creative development/professionalization and teaching qualifications), I would question the value of an MFA over, say, living in a vibrant community and just getting studio space and focusing on your practice on your off hours from your other work - or training specifically for the other field you want to combine your art with.

You can bring your art practice (without an MFA) into other fields a lot more easily than you can do the opposite. IE if you want to combine your art with psych or medicine you're probably better off trying to study that other specific thing instead, since you already have art making experience. 

Awesome! 

I think there is a design sensibility in my work, so the idea of making furniture or house hold objects interests me quite a bit.

Ideally I want to help people in some way. I've been also told that my work has a healing effect. It sort of allows people to free themselves by interacting with objects. Its kind of silly, but it works! 

Hm, yeah..... right now now I feel like I am on a grand vacation. But I know in months to come, brutality will come. Im using this time to think about ideas and explore possibilities.

Thanks you for your input! 

Hey guys! So many good discussions here...I was lurking until now but I have some hard time deciding right now so I beg for some help...If you please read my stupid history and help me out I would really appreciate it you guys!

I applied CCA, SFAI only two schools and I got accepted in CCA and SFAI both in MFA Film.

I have bachelor's degree in Fine Art Painting outside of US, however, my portfolios are kind of filled with videos. I wanted to go for MFA in film so that I can have the opportunity to deeply engage in video/film field and stuff, but anyways I think I want to make videos in the context of art, not like getting into a film industry as a part...

I kind of wasted last fall - winter time to prepare for admissions for Fall 2017 because I was confused if I wanted to go for this or not....like I was lack of self confidence. I was ready for applying SAIC, CalArts Experimental Animation and UCLA Film but I just didn't submit applications last winter... So when I decided to go for MFA it was already March and I had no choice but those schools to apply for this Fall cause their deadlines were like end of March.

I should have done research about more schools carefully cause I found Hunter's Integrated Media Arts (IMA) MFA and it's curriculum and goals seems like suits me. It's cost of attendance is also quite affordable. 

Now that I got into both schools and CCA's offering me 20% tuition scholarship, I'm considering going for CCA maybe but I'm still confused...Now I'm thinking of going CCA only for a year and then apply for Hunter IMA next year...or just not going for MFA this year and looking for some residencies - if possible - until I apply for Hunter and other schools next year. I mean I researched some vimeos and everything about CCA and SFAI and I have this feeling that both are not the exact schools that matches my work...or the works I want to do...

What do you guys think, what's the best to do? I really thought too much of all the options that I cannot think rationally anymore!!!! 

And do I have to pay back the scholarship if I don't register the second year?

Seriously I'm kind of lack of basic infos about US schools...

Please help me outtttt!!! I'm freaking out. Thanks a lot.

Hi,

I've applied MFD in Digital Future at OCAD and still didn't hear anything from them... What should I do??? Does it make sense or did they forget about me?

Edited by Dewise