Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Caryatid236

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Upstate New York

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. For a long time my background was in a VERY specialized field in the museum sector (conservation). There are VERY few jobs. After my husband and I moved to upstate New York I was extremely lucky to find a good job in my field, but it was an hour and a half drive one way from our house, which we were/are not willing to move from for various reasons. The drive eventually became physically, emotionally, and financially draining, and when the opportunity came up to leave to do a funded PhD I took it. Now, halfway through my program, I need to start thinking about what might be next, and suddenly find myself with several options where I have been used to having literally zero or none for my entire working life. I've been thinking/ talking with my husband about these options and thought that I would look here for some advice as well. Facts: I don't need to make a ton of money. My husband has a good job, but I do still need to pay off my student loans and have a fallback in case anything ever happens with his job. Moving IS NOT an option. The following options are being considered because there is potential for me to be able to do them in my current city. Please do not recommend that I join a nationwide TTP search or move to L.A. or something. I am under absolutely zero delusions that a tenure track position is going to be an option. Sure, if one comes up in my area that would be great, but my work is very specialized and tenure was never a hard goal for me. Similarly, I don't care about losing the "prestige" of academia, or about people potentially looking down on my for choosing "alt-ac." I have different priorities. We want something that will be flexible and allow me to spend time with/ be available for our (future) children. We have no hard and fast rules for this; we're not anti-daycare or anything like that, but we do want some options that will allow time off for vacations, some afternoons at home, family activities, etc. My husband travels for work and often has chunks of free time when we would be able to spend time together. I have contacts in both sectors, who have suggested that I consider these options. Basically the two main options are: A combination of part-time museum work and teaching adjunct courses. This will allow me to keep my feet in both worlds that I love: teaching and museums. When the kids are older this could potentially transition back into full-time museum work if I choose. One of the biggest motivations for doing the PhD was to get teaching experience and find out if I really loved it as much as I thought I would. I do, so continuing to teach would be great. Teaching at a private high school. This is appealing because there are MANY schools in my city. Several of them pride themselves on having an interdisciplinary curriculum which is exactly my wheelhouse. One of my contacts at a local school seemed very excited about my background, which combines art, chemistry/science, and history. I have always been attracted to the community atmosphere of K-12 schools (my mom was a teacher), so this option really appeals to me for that reason. Of course, the idea of long holiday and summer breaks is also quite appealing. Unfortunately, because of New York's rules, private schools would be my only option since I don't have a teaching certificate. I know what museums are like, so I think I am mostly looking for a conversation about the K-12 option. Has anyone gone from PhD to teaching high school? Do you know anyone who has done this? I understand that I am largely uninformed about how this might play out in the "real world." Feel free to inform me (that's why I am here), but please be kind about it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
  2. This is the point when I just assume that it's a no. That way anything else is just a very pleasant surprise!
  3. Congratulations to the successful applicants! Now I'm anxious to hear our results!!! I saw a notification for an email from the Grad Registration on my Fitbit yesterday and had a heart attack until I learned that it was just them reminding us to register for spring .
  4. Oh wow I didn't think I'd be quite so on the nose! Thanks for your reply!
  5. Does anyone know when OGS notifies recipients? I know that they do it by school, but is there a general ballpark for when people start to hear back? I'm new to Canada so this is my first time applying/ waiting for a response. Thanks for your help!
  6. Sorry for the delay (first year coursework, ugh), but thank you so much for your help! OGS application is required by my program, so I have done that. As an international student I am ineligible for SSHRC but I think I may be able to apply for Vanier next year. I will certainly look into Mitacs as well!
  7. Hi All, I'm searching for additional funding as a U.S. Citizen in a Canadian doctoral program (Interdisciplinary Humanities). I'm trying to find smaller scholarships that are available through charitable foundations or trusts. I have run across a ton of foundation directories for the UK and some other countries, but haven't been able to find anything terribly useful for the US or CA. Anyone know some good places to look for this kind of thing? Or, alternatively, some good scholarships for me to look into? (I'm applying for OSG, inelligible for SSRHC because I'm not a CA citizen, missed the deadline for Fulbright this year- I applied and started my program very late in the game so now I'm playing catch-up). Thanks in advance for any help!
  8. I completed my application last week for a program in Interdisciplinary Humanities. I had originally contacted them to inquire about fall 2017 but they said that they were still accepting applications for September so I decided to go for it. If this were a normal application I would just wait until April 15, but since I am so late in the game I am wondering how long I should wait to hear back? I would like to have plenty of time to notify my employer if I am leaving at the end of summer, and I would imagine that the school would also like to expedite the process (right?). The website says that my application status is currently under review and to "check back often," so should I just sit around hitting refresh or can I follow up eventually by emailing the graduate coordinator? How long should I wait? My application was complete last Monday. Thank you!
  9. I really did just begin the process of thinking about and researching doctorate programs, so please be gentle when correcting any glaring examples of complete ignorance (although please do correct me). I am an art conservator with a professional background in historical materials (I currently work at a history museum and also work in the conservation of library and archival materials) and an academic background in art history. I am interested in studying the idea of preservation of art and historical materials as a "Public Trust," as written in so many museum and library mission statements but rarely reflected in local or larger public policy. I am particularly interested in how this self-imposed mission influences both the way in which artwork and historical artifacts are preserved and how the public and government access and interact with those materials. I have been researching various programs under various departments and feel as though my interest and research could fall under so many different umbrellas. History? Art history/ visual studies? Public policy? Sociology? I would really appreciate it if I could get a few opinions to help focus my search for possible avenues. I am not so much looking for advice on specific programs or schools- just more generally some opinions on where my research interests may best fall. Thank you in advance for you help!
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.