-
Posts
1,327 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
23
Everything posted by 1Q84
-
I got some very snarky emails back from POIs recently stating that I need to have proficiency in a second language for their Literature program. I was confused as I stated in the original emails that I had a double major in English Lit and Latin language composition and translation. Does Latin not count as a second language now?
-
So for those of you who started a bit later, then you're juggling a part-time masters with full-time work? What are all your arrangements like, if you don't mind me asking. I mean... 8 years without a real income is scary, right?!
-
Sorry, I meant 23 and below.
-
Oh wow what a bummer Good to know all these things. I would totally apply straight for a Ph.D but I don't quite have the grades for it. I think the lowest tier direct PhD school in California is UC: Santa Cruz and I don't have the grades for it And no worries, I didn't take you listing your stats as bragging. It's good to know what level I'm at in comparison with others. It doesn't sound very likely that I'll get a Fulbright then. I only have a 3.3 GPA and such. Thank you though! ETA: Since I kinda messed stuff up in my 3rd and 4th years of undergrad, I was hoping to really boost my status in my MA, get an amazing GPA, make some good connections and relationships with profs and then get into the school of my dreams for a PhD. It seemed like a good plan at the time...
-
I know this may be a sensitive subject for some, but I'm curious. I took 5 years between my undergraduate because I was disillusioned with the system and suffered a lot in my last 2 years of school due to personal issues resulting in some low grades. As a result, I feel REALLY behind in my timeline. I'm going be 27 if I start my Masters next Fall and I feel like all my friends have either started or finished their grad school or are in their full-fledged careers. My partner is a consideration too. Making him wait for 8 years or so with no real income while I finish my school stuff feels pretty crappy. By the time I start working (if I'm extremely lucky and can find a job coming out of grad school), I'd be 35 or so. Only starting to have a real income and start saving for a house, etc. that late in life is really, really stressing me out. Anyone else in this same boat? Or anyone been through this same thing and came out unscathed? Sigh. Age is just a number right?
-
I couldn't find a definitive answer on the website (and they haven't responded to my email) but the SSHRC is only for use in Canada right?
- 321 replies
-
- 2012
- Canadian Scholarship
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
You are AMAZING! So much helpful information Thanks so much. Very good to know about the J-1 details. I guess I can worry about returning to Canada (or leaving the US) in 8-10 years... hehe. May I ask what research you were proposing for your Fulbright? And why you think you may not have gotten it? I have this sinking feeling that they don't take kindly to humanities projects (despite what they say on the website). All the past year's Fulbright recipients were science-related research students. Sigh.
-
Don't take my word for it, however. Maybe it's more common than I think. But it sounds like you're doing a heck of a lot of work for only partial funding. Lots of stuff by Haruki Murakami (Kafka On The Shore is an excellent place to start)! Also, Life of Pi by Yann Martel is pretty good.
-
I don't have any firsthand experience but that seems egregiously low from what I've read and heard from others.
-
Yeah I guess it makes sense as a cultural exchange. Buh. It's unfortunate because the Fulbright is pretty much the only fellowship/scholarship large enough to cover nonresident tuition in the US. The other Canadian awards (the OAS) has the same stipulation about returning to Canada for 2 years.
-
This is giving me second thoughts about applying to this. Seems kind of like contractual prostitution to some degree! Not to totally dump on the organisation and the system, but being forced to go back to my home country for 2 years seems... wrong.
-
Holy moly. That's intense. Thanks for the heads up! If only it were as simple as marrying for me.... they unfortunately don't recognise same-sex marriages in California (much less for immigration purposes). Sigh.
-
Subtopic! Hurrah! Is anyone from Canada applying for a Fulbright Traditional Award here? Just a couple things I was wondering about it... maybe we can all pool our knowledge: - I saw the requirement of returning to Canada for 2 full years after the study period. What if I'm hoping to get the award for my MA and then want to go on and do my PhD right after? Would I still have to return to Canada? - You have to submit letters of acceptance for the Fulbright application? How is this possible? If I'm applying for Fall 2013, how could I have acceptance letters for the Nov 15 deadline for next year's Fulbright? - Is the GRE necessary? I saw that they take them "as necessary". Not sure what that means. So many confusing bits...
-
Excellent idea! Thanks for the info and suggestion
-
It seems like EVERYONE is doing an ETA. I wasn't expecting that. I'm a Canadian student hoping to get a Fulbright Traditional Award to fund an English MA in California. Is this... uncommon? Also: I couldn't find anything explaining the legend in those spreadsheets. What's "recommended" and "promoted" etc. mean? I couldn't find anything about that on the Fulbright website either. I'm assuming alternate means you didn't get your first choice but got your second instead?
-
They say "approximately" 20 questions in the Princeton book and give 20 on the online test. They also give 20 on the free online test for Manhattan Prep. However, they give 25 in the Gruber practice tests and 25 in the official ETS practice tests. Anyone?
-
I don't know how orthodox it is to request people to take a look at my writing sample, but I thought I might give it a shot! I was going to post it here but, being paranoid and since it's somewhat nearing application time, I thought I should hold back. Anyone want to read my introduction (just 1 page) of an undergraduate essay I've been re-tooling on Milton and God's Tyranny? I know the subject has been talked to death and analysed quite fully... this was an assigned essay with a specific topic designed to test our close-reading abilities. You can be as vicious as possible! I need good, honest opinions about my writing. Thanks in advance
-
I'm guessing the percentiles throughout the years are not shown, merely the latest rankings?
-
Importance of Quant Scores?
1Q84 replied to slvitale's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Haha you could say that again :/ Really? for an MA at a state school? The only campus I've seen that actually has an international student waiver is Cal State LA. Loyola Marymount has assistantships and teaching fellowships but they said they're "competitively awarded", which I take to mean it's going to be 4.0 GPAers and US residents who get it? I'm just really freaked out, as an international student. -
I took both of the Cracking Online tests and they're strange. They only have 20 questions per section instead of 25 like it would be on the actual test. I'm assuming because they're gonna be rated differently in difficulty so they can extrapolate results from that but it doesn't seem like a true prep for the real test if you're missing 5 questions.
-
I'm the same (except I haven't actually given a fair shake to the quant section because I'm so terrible at math, I'm scared to even try!) But I'd also like to know what adcomms think of pretty bad quant scores for non-science non-math folk.
-
Importance of Quant Scores?
1Q84 replied to slvitale's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Wait could you elaborate on the state school funding thing? I'm applying to a bunch, as you can see, as an international student and definitely need some financial aid. Or are you talking about resident financial aid stuff only? -
Okay this took me a few days to read through, a chunk at a time, but what an amazing interview. I feel like this should be pinned everywhere, at the top of every forum.
-
I like the Princeton book but the online practice tests peeve me to no end. I've done 3 on their site now and 2 of them had mistakes and the latest one I did, in the Verbal section, one of the "what does the highlighted sentence mean" questions didn't even have a highlighted question! YARGH! I got a 169 V and I could've gotten 170...
-
Phew! Thanks. I'm missing the great letters unfortunately... didn't connect enough with my profs in my BA : ( but hopefully I can do the rest. Thank you!
