2018 Blooper Real*

On 1/20/2018 at 9:13 PM, khigh said:

Not in your field, but I just looked at my writing sample after reading through this.  I have one footnote with question marks instead of the date because I should have looked for a date later. I couldn't remember at the time of writing the paper if it was 1588 or 1589. In another part, I have a whole phrase left untranslated in the body of the paper.  The rest of it looks like this: ..."writing in English." 1 I really hope they see that the rest is correct, the topic is good, and that my translations are done well. I had reworked part of my paper before I submitted it and it just looks like I oopsed on that part.

1 Footnote or Ibid., The original reads:" ...writing in Early Modern Dutch"

I did this--I accidentally submitted one of my draft writing samples that I had sent to a professor in my application instead of the final draft. It had TONS of notes, highlighting, comments, etc. that not only were not intelligent but that made absolutely no sense (things like "add in quote here?????" and "that evil snake guy from Great Expectations"). I only realized a couple of months later when I was checking the portal for a decision. Needless to say, I did not get in!

On 3/2/2018 at 8:24 PM, Cassifrassidy said:

I did this--I accidentally submitted one of my draft writing samples that I had sent to a professor in my application instead of the final draft. It had TONS of notes, highlighting, comments, etc. that not only were not intelligent but that made absolutely no sense (things like "add in quote here?????" and "that evil snake guy from Great Expectations"). I only realized a couple of months later when I was checking the portal for a decision. Needless to say, I did not get in!

I didn't either. Here's to better writing samples next time!

• 11 months later...

2019 edition!

I definitely wrote Penn State instead of UPenn on my SoP for that school. Three times.  Was able to correct it last minute but holy hell I still feel ashamed.

Wrote “additionally” twice in the last paragraph of my SoP for Loyola. Got waitlisted though so I guess they didn’t care? Better to think that than to think it was the mistake that moved me from the admit to the waitlist pile, which of course it couldn’t be. Of course ?

Wrote the wrong GPA by accident on half of my applications and realized as I was reviewing the application proofs AFTER submitting them.  Then proceeded to send 5 frantic e-mails to the respective departments in hopes of rectifying the stupid blunder.  Still got into two of those programs, so I guess the mistake wasn't as tragic as my anxiety drove me to believe!

Oh, I also realized 20 minutes before my (weirdly early) first deadline that an entire paragraph in my writing sample had “(xx)” for all my page citations, instead of the correct pages. I just went and inserted random numbers...and I got into that program! Lol. 

What I've spotted after re-reading my stuff and from what I remember:

-Incorrectly transcribed the opening quote I used as a hook. (my mentor caught this and I had just enough time to fix this across all my SoPs)

-Mis-spelled the first name of a POI for one of my SoPs

-Entered in the wrong undergrad institution for one of my apps. (and realized this after submission, had to e-mail to explain what happened)

Edited by Ranmaag

17 hours ago, The Wordsworthian said:

I also did that... sigh. 

Did the same on one of mine. Sigh. Also forgot to change the school name on two during my 2016 round, but strangely got accepted into one of them. Go figure. 

accidentally uploaded a working copy of my SOP instead of the final copy and had a mini panic attack. was able to upload the correct copy, but i still have yet to hear back from the school ?‍♀️

I don't think there were significant mistakes in my app but I turned in one of mine several hours late with a 500 words over word limit SOP... Still got campus visit invite lol

Notes for future applicants: don't panic. What's meant to be is meant to be i guess

Edited by whatislife69