Fall 2018 Masters of Health Informatics

hanam

Hi - I am wondering if anyone is applying for the Masters of Health Informatics at the University of Toronto? I am just trying to get my references together. I am not confident in my application because of my GPA (which is lower than I would like) however, I have experience in healthcare. 

I've seen threads from Fall 2016 and 2017. Just curious. 

Edited by hanam

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my references were submitted as of yesterday. From what I have been told by current students, few of them had the minimum gpa requirements, so I wouldn't worry too much. What do you mean by having experience in healthcare (volunteering or working as a nurse/PA)?

Edited by fleejy
Format

My application status changed from Documents Received, (excl. official transcripts) to Under Review just today. I guess they started going through the applications now. Did anybody else get their status changed?

Edited by fleejy
typo

3 hours ago, fleejy said:

My application status changed from Documents Received, (excl. official transcripts) to Under Review just today. I guess they started going through the applications now. Did anybody else get their status changed?

Did you have to send proof of English proficiency? Im an In province applicant and studied my undergrad completely in English but the "English Proficiency Documentation" section says "Pending" on my application.

@FadeMans I am out-of-province, but I emailed Zoe back in December to clarify that and she said: "Please leave the English Proficiency section blank.  You do not need to provide English Proficiency but it will read as pending until the application period closes."

Hi Everyone! So glad you all responded. I was getting a little nervous because previous years had active threads. I have roughly seven years of experience in healthcare. I also have two undergraduate degrees one in Health Management and Public Health. I just need to submit my application. I am very nervous. I don't have very high hopes of getting into the program lol. 

On 1/26/2018 at 7:03 PM, fleejy said:

Hello, my references were submitted as of yesterday. From what I have been told by current students, few of them had the minimum gpa requirements, so I wouldn't worry too much. What do you mean by having experience in healthcare (volunteering or working as a nurse/PA)?

I work in the home care field. I've held three different roles within the same organization. My experience ranges from assessing clients for service to assisting EMR implementation. It's a little over the place. I hope that my experience and references get me in lol. 

34 minutes ago, hanam said:

I work in the home care field. I've held three different roles within the same organization. My experience ranges from assessing clients for service to assisting EMR implementation. It's a little over the place. I hope that my experience and references get me in lol. 

Lol im almost sure that you will be given an offer for admission! Goodluck!!

Just finished up my application today... so nervous!

Anyone else with an undergrad that isn't explicitly health/business/CS? I'm little worried as my academic background seems a bit off the mark for this program (neuroscience). But a lot of my courses/projects had a lot of clinical tie-ins and my current work position is in health research with quite a bit of emphasis in EMR systems. Haven't done anything big yet but I'm also learning to code in my spare time. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Cloudbank

Still working on my application. Just to clarify, the application deadline is Feb 1, but what is the deadline for the referees to submit online. I have emailed Zoe but she seems to be hammered and hasn't responded to my previous two emails.

Did anyone also apply to Waterloo?

Also, looks like hanam is in :D

Edited by compactdisc

3 hours ago, compactdisc said:

Still working on my application. Just to clarify, the application deadline is Feb 1, but what is the deadline for the referees to submit online. I have emailed Zoe but she seems to be hammered and hasn't responded to my previous two emails.

I applied to Waterloo as well. From what I was reading the program seems to emphasize the technical side of informatics a bit more? Though I still find it interesting and did find the possibility of online courses appealing.

Not sure of the deadline for references, though the webpage makes it sound like there's a bit of flexibility. I would just try calling tomorrow especially for something that's probably a quick and easy answer,, she got back to me right away when I had a different question a few days ago.

4 hours ago, compactdisc said:

I wish! Online learning is not for me. I do better in a classroom setting. I thought the references were also due Feb 1. Good luck! 

On 1/30/2018 at 4:04 PM, hanam said:

Im sure you will get in! That sounds like good experience. 

16 minutes ago, Sanj010 said:

Hi everyone, 

I applied to McMaster, UTO, UVIC, and Waterloo. I received an acceptance letter from Waterloo today.

Congratulations! Can I ask what date you have finished the application? I also applied to Waterloo, but finished my application just before the deadline.