Fall 2018 Masters of Health Informatics

hanam

58 minutes ago, SARDEEP said:

Are you working in health information field already? When did you apply for MHI program?

No background in HI really. I did my BScNursing and have been working on a medical unit as an rn in a tech based hospital for a little over 2 years. I also took professional development courses (intro to database development and into to sql) from waterloo. I applied the last week of Jan for Waterloo and mid Dec for McMaster.

3 minutes ago, MERobyn said:

No background in HI really. I did my BScNursing and have been working on a medical unit as an rn in a tech based hospital for a little over 2 years. I also took professional development courses (intro to database development and into to sql) from waterloo. I applied the last week of Jan for Waterloo and mid Dec for McMaster.

Also I don't believe Waterloo does interviews. I only received an acceptance letter and conditional on them receiving a sealed transcript by the beginning of April.

10 hours ago, MERobyn said:

Also I don't believe Waterloo does interviews. I only received an acceptance letter and conditional on them receiving a sealed transcript by the beginning of April.

Thank you for sharing your backround.My experience is kind of same.  Did you applied for part time or fulltime?

12 hours ago, SARDEEP said:

Congrats. Can you please share what experience do you have prior to applying for MHI program?

Hey there,

I have a background in nursing, graduated 3.5 years ago with a BScN. I have emerge nursing and acute geriatric psych experience. I've been working on implementing an eMAR system at the facility I work at along with other electronic charting software. I have super basic background in programing C and Python through an online course on edx.org Intro to computer Science offered by Harvard. What about you? Does anyone know people already in the program?

14 hours ago, MaryZ said:

Hey if you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to apply for a masters? And what opinions do you hold of college HI programs? Do they prepare you to work in this field?

I personally want a masters because of the programs offer theoretical foundations in information systems and not just applications, the latter of which I am assuming can be gained from college HI.

However, I deeply regret not applying to other universities besides UofT, I just wanted to stay close to home. I wonder how many interview invites they send out per round and if they'll send more Monday. Ugh the cortisol levels are too high right now! :unsure:

Good luck on the interview guys!

The HI program that I completed was more theoretic than application. I completed the program quite some time ago, prior to entering the workforce. It was a good program overall, however, for someone wanting to work in the field that can only go to college and not do a masters, I would recommend them taking more application and hands on type courses as it will be easier to land a job. However, it depends on the person's background, skill set, experience, etc. I've worked in the field for quite some time now in a variety of roles. The reason I'm applying for a masters is mainly because they have an executive stream that allows me to continue working while going to school, the courses offered will help me in my current role and with my company in the long run, and lastly because my work has offered to reimburse some of the fees. Also, having a masters degree will make me more marketable allowing me to jump into senior level roles a lot easier.

I wonder if this program is really that hard to get into... For last year's intake, there were 116 domestic applicants, and 62 of them received offers of admission (and subsequently 36 of those applicants accepted the offer). So it appears more than half of applicants get in. On the other hand, it appears you shouldn't waste time and resources applying if you're an international applicant.

source: https://issuu.com/dlsph/docs/dlsph_report_2016-17_final page 8

28958967_10211167943542400_8687251438461517824_o.png

Wow, good resource for those looking for some information. Still waiting to hear back. Good luck to all those who have already received offers! Let us know how the interviews turn out. Fingers crossed for all those who are waiting! Hopefully this week will be full of good news for us. 

Cheers

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, SARDEEP said:

Thank you for sharing your backround.My experience is kind of same.  Did you applied for part time or fulltime?

It sounds like not many people have heard yet, i'm sure they'll do another wave of emails soon! I applied for Full-time.

10 minutes ago, compactdisc said:

haven't heard anything back yet :( getting worried. the people who got offers, when did they apply?

Same D:

FWIW I submitted everything just under a week before the deadline

2 hours ago, compactdisc said:

haven't heard anything back yet :( getting worried. the people who got offers, when did they apply?

Hang in there, I'm sure they're still just going through the list! My last reference submitted on January 30th and my file was listed as pending until a couple days after Feb 1st if that helps at all.

1 hour ago, NanBD said:

Hang in there, I'm sure they're still just going through the list! My last reference submitted on January 30th and my file was listed as pending until a couple days after Feb 1st if that helps at all.

That makes me feel better!Did you apply for the mhi or the emhi!?

3 hours ago, Janee said:

That makes me feel better!Did you apply for the mhi or the emhi!?

I applied for the regular MHI lol. Tbh I was really worried about my lack of professional experience (I just finished my HBSc last summer, so less than a year ago). Most of my clinical experience was through volunteering/extra-curriculars but I have some bioinformatics/computer science exposure and a bunch of project mangement experience so I think that's what carried me through 

Edited by NanBD

12 hours ago, NanBD said:

I applied for the regular MHI lol. Tbh I was really worried about my lack of professional experience (I just finished my HBSc last summer, so less than a year ago). Most of my clinical experience was through volunteering/extra-curriculars but I have some bioinformatics/computer science exposure and a bunch of project mangement experience so I think that's what carried me through 

I applied for the eMHI, has anyone else applied to this track?