Fall 2018 Masters of Health Informatics

hanam

On 3/11/2018 at 8:58 AM, symbol96 said:

I wonder if this program is really that hard to get into... For last year's intake, there were 116 domestic applicants, and 62 of them received offers of admission (and subsequently 36 of those applicants accepted the offer). So it appears more than half of applicants get in. On the other hand, it appears you shouldn't waste time and resources applying if you're an international applicant.

source: https://issuu.com/dlsph/docs/dlsph_report_2016-17_final page 8

28958967_10211167943542400_8687251438461517824_o.png

Hi

I am an international student applying for this program. These statistics look little disturbing. Not a single international student was given offer. :-/

8 hours ago, juzcurious said:

Hi

I am an international student applying for this program. These statistics look little disturbing. Not a single international student was given offer. :-/

They do seem to be quite a bit tougher on International Applicants, but it's not impossible! If you go to the FAQ page, they've updated it to this statement: 

Do you accept international students?
We typically only take a very small number of international students. International applicants that have been accepted in the past have been highly competitive (high grades, excellent reference letters, clear and relevant letter of intent and applicable work experience).

It may just be that none were accepted during the 2016 intake. Don't get discouraged. If anything, follow up with Zoe about the status of your application. 

16 hours ago, NanBD said:

They do seem to be quite a bit tougher on International Applicants, but it's not impossible! If you go to the FAQ page, they've updated it to this statement: 

Do you accept international students?
We typically only take a very small number of international students. International applicants that have been accepted in the past have been highly competitive (high grades, excellent reference letters, clear and relevant letter of intent and applicable work experience).

It may just be that none were accepted during the 2016 intake. Don't get discouraged. If anything, follow up with Zoe about the status of your application. 

Hi

thank you for sharing the information and motivation :)

hope things go right. 

I am really looking forward to get admit in this program.

3 hours ago, fleejy said:

I received an invitation on March 19th afternoon for an interview (April 12th, 2018).

Congratulations! I guess they are still sending out invites. When did you submit your application?!

22 minutes ago, Janee said:

Congratulations! I guess they are still sending out invites. When did you submit your application?!

I submitted my application back in December, 2017.

On 3/10/2018 at 10:28 PM, symbol96 said:

I wonder if this program is really that hard to get into... For last year's intake, there were 116 domestic applicants, and 62 of them received offers of admission (and subsequently 36 of those applicants accepted the offer). So it appears more than half of applicants get in. On the other hand, it appears you shouldn't waste time and resources applying if you're an international applicant.

source: https://issuu.com/dlsph/docs/dlsph_report_2016-17_final page 8

28958967_10211167943542400_8687251438461517824_o.png

I keep consulting this chart when I lose motivation, but does the scaling bother anyone else? Plus it appears that for the IHPME's MHSc there were 53 offers of admission but somehow 62 registered? I'm confused lol

2 hours ago, mumenrider said:

I got an email earlier today with a conditional offer for the MHI program.

Congrats.If you don’t mind can you tell what does the condition in your offer letter?.What is your experience before applying for this program?

27 minutes ago, SARDEEP said:

Congrats.If you don’t mind can you tell what does the condition in your offer letter?.What is your experience before applying for this program?

It's dependent on me sending them my marks for this semester. It doesnt specify whether I have to maintain certain marks/conditions so I may have to email and get some more information.

I dont have much work experience in informatics but I'm currently completing a certificate in health informatics.

Just checked my Waterloo status on Quest on a whim and noticed I've received an admission as well! I am surprised they didn't send an e-mail out telling me to check or anything (honestly if I wasn't bored out of my mind this evening I would've missed it....) but I'm pleased nonetheless.

Does anyone else see when we have to respond by? I am considering the program but would much rather hear from other programs/jobs before accepting anything.

25 minutes ago, MERobyn said:

When I received mine, at the bottom of the acceptance letter it said 2 weeks after receiving the offer. 

Oh man, I haven't heard from one of my schools at all yet and have an interview with another *after* that time. Well, this will be fun to sort through... thanks for the info!

What have I been doing all my life? I am so glad I found this forum today. I just got an interview date for MHI at University of Toronto. Like many others, my interview is scheduled for 10th of April. I am just a bundle of nerves at the moment as I come from a Pharmacy background and my practical knowledge on information systems is basically non-existent. All I have going for me are my good grades. I am getting jitters just thinking of how I am supposed to greet them..don't even get me started on my extreme imagination on how I will flunk if they were to ask me questions regarding things I don't know about. I am sorry to those that have yet to hear from them/have not made it through. I wish good luck to everybody on here. 

Is anyone else super worried about the writing part? Its description reminds me of the CASPER test for med school. Ah well, guess we can't study for it. Anyone contact Zoe for further information concerning the presentation? I would like to know if it's supposed to be very formal and informational, or can we integrate some of our own experiences. Super scared, also finishing up my undergrad so my thesis deadline is super close to my interview.

Edited by JulesHir

4 hours ago, Mish322 said:

What have I been doing all my life? I am so glad I found this forum today. I just got an interview date for MHI at University of Toronto. Like many others, my interview is scheduled for 10th of April. I am just a bundle of nerves at the moment as I come from a Pharmacy background and my practical knowledge on information systems is basically non-existent. All I have going for me are my good grades. I am getting jitters just thinking of how I am supposed to greet them..don't even get me started on my extreme imagination on how I will flunk if they were to ask me questions regarding things I don't know about. I am sorry to those that have yet to hear from them/have not made it through. I wish good luck to everybody on here. 

Hi Mish,

I bet you have more knowledge on information systems than you think! Are you currently working? What type of pharmacy system do you use? My background is in nursing and I've used omnicells quite a bit. I find them useful for organization, safety, narcotic count, obtaining missing doses etc. I'm sure you are currently using some type of system/database to assist with medication orders, recalls and a whole bunch of other things! You could maybe talk about the current process and where you see things heading in the future. And how would this affect patient safety, $$$ spent and efficiency. I'm nervous for my interview too, I haven't picked a topic either. But I wanted to wish you and everyone else good luck and that I bet you know much more than you think :)

On 3/25/2018 at 2:28 AM, dardalys098 said:

Hi Mish,

I bet you have more knowledge on information systems than you think! Are you currently working? What type of pharmacy system do you use? My background is in nursing and I've used omnicells quite a bit. I find them useful for organization, safety, narcotic count, obtaining missing doses etc. I'm sure you are currently using some type of system/database to assist with medication orders, recalls and a whole bunch of other things! You could maybe talk about the current process and where you see things heading in the future. And how would this affect patient safety, $$$ spent and efficiency. I'm nervous for my interview too, I haven't picked a topic either. But I wanted to wish you and everyone else good luck and that I bet you know much more than you think :)

Sorry for the late reply! I just graduated last November. I am an Indian and our Pharmacy systems aren't as well developed as we'd like them to be. My internship was mostly at a public hospital, and um... let's just say papers were preferred over computers. I had the chance of interning at a private hospital (at one of their many branches) and they had their own Pharmacy systems, hospital systems etc., custom-made. They were fairly easy to use, but the biggest problem I have observed was that a lot of the staff were sometimes reluctant to use the systems and often complained that writing was easier. They basically preferred their traditional methods. but it could also be attributed to the fact that a lot of the staff were older and hence less likely to embrace technology? I am not sure. Anyway, thank you for thegreat tips. I will keep those in mind when I get interviewed :D

If it helps, I have yet to pick a topic as well. I plan to do it by the end of this month. I have also got to work on my presentation. I am doing some volunteer work atm, but I will be free after 29th, so I will have a few days to prepare. Don't be nervous. You will do great! Good luck! 

(Also had to google omnicels >.>)

On 3/21/2018 at 6:32 PM, mumenrider said:

It's dependent on me sending them my marks for this semester. It doesnt specify whether I have to maintain certain marks/conditions so I may have to email and get some more information.

I dont have much work experience in informatics but I'm currently completing a certificate in health informatics.

Hi mumenrider. May I ask from which school you are completing your certificate in health informatics? Thank you.