Future Audiology Class of 2022

KGross12

7 hours ago, Taritai said:

I'll be heading to the University of Illinois's Open House as well as Northwestern's Open House this weekend! (Friday and Monday, respectively). I'll also be going to Rush's on the 30th! Hope to see some friendly faces! :) 

I'll be at Northwestern's this coming Monday! Are you from the Chicago area? I'm trying to compile a list of places to go when I'm there :D 

Has anyone heard of Salus University or Samford University? I just found out they have an application deadline of April 1, so if you are struggling to get into a program like me I would apply to those two schools!!

On 3/13/2018 at 1:47 PM, Oddiology said:

Congrats!! Hopefully if I am wait listed that will clear up a spot for me! 

I just declined my offer! have you heard anything from them?

best of luck to you :) 

On 3/19/2018 at 4:58 AM, AMP´d-AuD said:

Has anyone been accepted or applied to Northwestern? Syracuse? WashU in St. Louis? Recieved funding?

I was accepted to WashU and will be attending! They offered the PACS 4 year scholarship with my acceptance letter, and have a separate financial aid app to fill out for GA/loans. Based on what I've heard from current students, it sounds like most are offered part-time paid positions in CID too.

24 minutes ago, AspiringAuD said:

I was accepted to WashU and will be attending! They offered the PACS 4 year scholarship with my acceptance letter, and have a separate financial aid app to fill out for GA/loans. Based on what I've heard from current students, it sounds like most are offered part-time paid positions in CID too.

Congrats, that is awesome! I was waitlisted unfortunately, but put my spot on reserve and it is definitely assuring to hear they give a decent amount of funding!

On 9/3/2018 at 1:01 AM, jml2411 said:

Wow I can’t believe UW is closing their program... I just received the e-mail today. Does anyone know why?? 

Is anyone taking advantage of the extended deadlines for UW applicants for Uni of Arizona or Pacific Uni?

2 hours ago, AMP´d-AuD said:

Has anyone been accepted or applied to Northwestern? Syracuse? WashU in St.Louis? Recieved funding?

I've been accepted to Northwestern. Funding decisions will be released this Friday. 

On 9/3/2018 at 1:01 AM, jml2411 said:

Wow I can’t believe UW is closing their program... I just received the e-mail today. Does anyone know why?? 

Is anyone taking advantage of the extended deadlines for UW applicants for Uni of Arizona or Pacific Uni?

3 hours ago, AMP´d-AuD said:

Has anyone been accepted or applied to Northwestern? Syracuse? WashU in St.Louis? Recieved funding?

I was accepted to Syracuse with a GA scholarship for 50% tuition for first two years!

4 hours ago, AMP´d-AuD said:

Congrats, that is awesome! I was waitlisted unfortunately, but put my spot on reserve and it is definitely assuring to hear they give a decent amount of funding!

Congratulations on making the waitlist! It's not a rejection :) And based on previous years it looks like they have quite a bit of movement on their WL, so you might have a good chance of making it in. Best of luck to you! 

For those of you accepted to multiple programs what are you using for your decision making progress? Definitely struggling with picking which program I want to attend (they all have pros and cons). Feel free to message me if you have strategies you're using/used if you've already made a decision.

13 hours ago, FutureAuD8 said:

For those of you accepted to multiple programs what are you using for your decision making progress? Definitely struggling with picking which program I want to attend (they all have pros and cons). Feel free to message me if you have strategies you're using/used if you've already made a decision.

I'm ranking schools based on tuition, cost of living in the particular city, funding offered to me, reputation, class size, clinical opportunities, faculty, whether the program is 3/4 years, and overall experience during application process. 
I created my own criteria based on those particular components, but I would encourage you to make your own based on what is important to you. 
So far this has helped me eliminate 3 acceptances because I can not afford to live in an expensive city. Also, I'm thinking of committing to a 3 year program instead of 4 because I will be able to complete my program sooner (still not sure if I'm ready for the rigor though :/). 
I hope this helps!

14 hours ago, FutureAuD8 said:

I made a similar spreadsheet as the one above but also calculated the total cost of the program and living expenses for each program as well to see the total number. Of course I also compared funding, distance from home, apartment cost, gas cost, weather (tornadoes, snow, hurricanes)...more so the logistics rather than the attributes of the program! It helped me really decide where I could see myself LIVING not just what program I liked the most. 

19 hours ago, FutureAuD8 said:

I take a bunch of factors that are important to me. Tuition cost (that is not covered by financial aid), cost of living, school ranking, school focus (whether it has a good balance of clinical, research, and classroom experiences), "feel" of my campus visit, quality/newness of school resources/facilities, job opportunities for my husband, projected stress level (aka 3 year vs. 4 year programs), weather, proximity to my family, public transportation, professionalism of their communication so far, university resources for students, program resources for students, etc.

Then I have a point scale. 1-4. 4 points go to the school that I think has this quality the best, 1 goes to the least. I go through each category and I assign each school to their ranking and give them points.. 

Then I decide the factors that are absolutely most important to me. (For me, it's the first 4 on my list.) I multiply those points by 2.

Then I add up. School with the most points wins. 

Then I compare it to my gut feeling about where I should go, and then I end up super stressed and still unable to make a decision :(

On 3/19/2018 at 4:58 AM, AMP´d-AuD said:

Yep! I've been accepted to Northwestern and WashU. I received a partial tuition scholarship for the four years for WashU and I received a scholarship to Northwestern! I've just accepted Northwestern's offer :lol:

On 19/3/2018 at 2:39 PM, brotoscope said:

I was accepted to Syracuse with a GA scholarship for 50% tuition for first two years!

Wow that is amazing, congrats! Stupid question but what does GA mean (I googled to no avail lol)? 

6 hours ago, AMP´d-AuD said:

Wow that is amazing, congrats! Stupid question but what does GA mean (I googled to no avail lol)? 

GA means Graduate Assistantship-- basically they make you work for a certain amount of hours and your get tuition waiver. 

It is not a stupid question, I also had no idea what it meant until a month ago :P

1 hour ago, blondespresso said:

When do programs usually begin, like is there a typical month across the board? I know specific dates are school-specific but just a general idea of the month would be helpful!

Either August or September! Most have orientation a week or two beforehand as well.

10 hours ago, AMP´d-AuD said:

not a stupid question! I didn't figure that out until the application process started. good luck to you!!

On 3/14/2018 at 4:00 PM, Taritai said:

I'll be heading to the University of Illinois's Open House as well as Northwestern's Open House this weekend! (Friday and Monday, respectively). I'll also be going to Rush's on the 30th! Hope to see some friendly faces! :) 

On 3/14/2018 at 11:30 PM, AuDtobe said:

I'll be at Northwestern's this coming Monday! Are you from the Chicago area? I'm trying to compile a list of places to go when I'm there :D 

Sorry these are older posts, but I was just wondering how you all dressed for your open houses. Business casual or nice jeans and a sweater? I'd prefer not to end up over dressed, but I do NOT want to be the only one in jeans.