What will you do if you get your first acceptance letter?

littlemy

What I imagine:

Keep my cool as long as possible and think about all my accomplishments and all the obstacles i've overcome to get an acceptance. Then tell my significant other, family, social media then have a nice dinner with my S.O.

What is more likely:

Scream, Get intoxicated, call significant other, scream with her, stay up all night drunk laughing/crying.

Well I was actually driving listening to an old this American life podcast titled, “how I got into college.” I saw my email pop up from the school, but I figured it was about plane tickets, since they were flying me down to visit. I waited until I got home and read the email. I was shocked. My eyes filled with tears and I looked at my husband and said, “They admitted me.” We hugged. I drank a beer and called my mom. It made the planned visit a lot less stressful. 

I made a pact the last time I applied (for MA) that whenever my friend who was also applying and I had both gotten into a program, we would buy a bottle of real champagne and drink it. That happened, twas excellent... now here I am, a year and a half later, now hoping to fulfill that promise again shortly with another fellow applicant pal. I recommend!

I calmly read my email n the parking lot just as I got to work. Then texted my partner. It wasn't my top choice (where my partner is) so I've held off my celebration. If I get either of the Chicago schools I will be going out for steak. :)

My plan:

1. Talk to my wife about something mundane like picking up milk.
  2. Mention getting in as an aside.
  3. Continue talking about milk/whatever.
  4. ?
  5. Profit.

And then get a celebratory meal at a grown-up's restaurant over the objections of my toddler.

Cry. Attempt to quell internal screaming or literal screaming, whichever. Cry some more. Feel relieved. Like never before.

Then I'll call my husband, followed by my Dad. And, I will celebrate with a great dinner out. Something really bougie.