2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

7 hours ago, BL16 said:

In case some of you are in Ohio State's waitlist: I declined their offer.

What's your AOI? They informed me that they organize their wait list by AOI. So just curious if we have the same. (I'm on the wait list.)

I just wanted to take the time to thank the applicant who rejected the offer from Ohio State in such a timely manner. Friendly reminder: if you *know* you will not take an offer---perhaps, given your other offers---decline that offer asap, for the sake of the department in question and your fellow applicants. Every year alot of people sit on offers they know they won't take; don't be like them. 

32 minutes ago, BL16 said:

Philosophy of language. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm Early Modern, so it doesn't apply. But I'm sure the guy behind you is very appreciative.

13 minutes ago, shadowyBeing said:

I just wanted to take the time to thank the applicant who rejected the offer from Ohio State in such a timely manner. Friendly reminder: if you *know* you will not take an offer---perhaps, given your other offers---decline that offer asap, for the sake of the department in question and your fellow applicants. Every year alot of people sit on offers they know they won't take; don't be like them. 

Amen!

8 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

Generic rejection letter from Brown. Received an email to check ApplyWeb for the decision. "Please note that Brown will never email your decision directly."

Same, just got mine too.

21 hours ago, Goonasabi said:

I see a decision for WU - St. Louis. Anyone chime in to see if they have a decision? I haven't received an email yet. Was wondering where we could check our status.

All these other mass-decisions makes me suspect of the WashU rejection.  Traditionally they send out notices next week.  I would think that had they sent out rejections, we'd see far more appearing, a la Brown.  I'm holding out hope, anyhow.

12 minutes ago, syn said:

All these other mass-decisions makes me suspect of the WashU rejection.  Traditionally they send out notices next week.  I would think that had they sent out rejections, we'd see far more appearing, a la Brown.  I'm holding out hope, anyhow.

Their POI may have sent them a personalized email regarding their rejection. It's rare, but that does sometimes happen, and it may explain some anomalies like that. Either way, I wouldn't let it concern you too much, since it probably doesn't have much bearing on when the bulk of the decisions from a given school will come out.

5 minutes ago, MishaPanda said:

I’ve not yet heard back from Brown. There’s been one acceptance so far on this thread...so I’m predicting (perhaps overly optimistically) a waitlist for myself? 

If it helps your prediction, I saw the rejections and predicted I'd have news and I did (see above rejection gripe).

21 minutes ago, MishaPanda said:

I’m sorry to hear that. I’ll wait and see...

If I was you I'd take it as a good sign.  With the slew of slaps they just handed down I'd say your app is getting some serious consideration.  I hope you get a happy surprise soon.  Good luck!

5 minutes ago, kurumetarou said:

Got rejected by Brown. Not a surprise. Got three rejections by now. The part that hurts the most is that the application fees are non-refundable.

Sorry to hear that.  They got our business, didn't they?  I'm at 3 too, with the urge to cry tempered by a waitlist.  I hope the next news is good news for you.   

6 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

I've been accepted at Maryland! I received an email from the department coordinator about 20 minutes ago with the offer attached. Full support ~$20,000 for five years. I am so stoked, this is my first PhD acceptance!

Happy for you!

30 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

I've been accepted at Maryland! I received an email from the department coordinator about 20 minutes ago with the offer attached. Full support ~$20,000 for five years. I am so stoked, this is my first PhD acceptance!

Just imagining myself in your shoes for a moment...very exciting!!!

I'm new to the site, so sorry for not updating the results page. Unfortunately, they've all been rejections (Chicago, Northwestern, Michigan and WashU). Although I did not post the WashU rejection, I wanted to clarify that more than one person had gotten one after reading about the one sketchy post. 

Here's to keeping up the hope! 13 more to hear from. Does anyone know when we should hear from Wisconsin at Madison or UConn? 

Thanks! Cheers!

18 minutes ago, ArendtYouKidding said:

I'm new to the site, so sorry for not updating the results page. Unfortunately, they've all been rejections (Chicago, Northwestern, Michigan and WashU). Although I did not post the WashU rejection, I wanted to clarify that more than one person had gotten one after reading about the one sketchy post. 

Here's to keeping up the hope! 13 more to hear from. Does anyone know when we should hear from Wisconsin at Madison or UConn? 

Thanks! Cheers!

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, Wisconsin sent out some acceptances already, so I'm assuming that the rest are waitlists or rejections. I wish you all the best for the rest of your decisions!