Anyone else doing comp lit?

Hey!

Was just wondering if anyone else is applying to comp lit programs and is waiting for results...I'm curious about where you've applied to and whether you've heard back yet. I got an interview invitation (Skype) from UC Santa Barbara last week, but didn't hear back from any other schools I applied to. I'm an international student with a BA in comp lit at an American school. My area is Chinese & German modernism, feminism, and psychoanalysis. Good luck everybody & would be nice to hear from someone! I'm getting more and more nervous haha

Have a nice day!

Yes. I applied to Stanford, Princeton, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, and UCLA. My area is African diaspora, trauma and philosophy (French and English). Still waiting on responses from everyone, although Stanford is an implied rejection.

Thanks for sharing! I'm also interested in trauma studies and applied to Stanford (AND am not hoping to get in). I went to UVA for undergrad! We have a really good English program and my advisor (Paul Cantor) was just complaining about reading applications a few days ago haha. I applied to Rutgers and NYU for comp lit as well, so maybe we'll end up at the same school :) Good luck with everything!

Hey y'all, I also applied to comparative literature programs: UChicago, Harvard, Maryland, Northwestern, NYU, and UPenn. No results yet. I study comparative literary history in the twentieth century. Where else did you apply, @ranny820? Would you mind sharing a few details on your UCSB interview? 

Edited by Jožin z bažin

Yes, I applied to Emory and Northwestern as well as OSU's Comparative Studies program and programs administered by Comparative Literature departments such as SUNY-Binghamton's PLC program and UMN's CSDS program. So far, I've been admitted to OSU, been waitlisted at UMN, and have received an interview invitation to Emory. Best of luck!

Congrats, @ranny820 and @jelris, and good luck on the interviews!! 

I applied to one half comp lit program, and I half applied to one comp lit program, so I suppose I applied to one comp lit program total. That is... I applied to Duke Literature, which isn't exactly comp lit but seems to get referred to as comp lit by Duke students in other departments, and I applied to UMN CSDS, but after a conversation with the DGS, we switched my acceptance (!!) over to Comp Lit on the adcom's recommendation.

@Jožin z bažin Hey! I applied to a whole bunch of schools! I think in general they're tougher on international applicants so I didn't want to risk it. Here's my list:

UPenn, Stanford, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCSB, UC Irvine, Duke (Literature), Rutgers, NYU, Oregon, UCSD, U Toronto, USC, Harvard

I think it's 14 in total. So I just had my UCSB interview this afternoon with Professor Elisabeth Weber - apparently she's one of the two people in charge of the program :ph34r: She gave me a German test to see if I can TA for a first-year German class, and that's basically it. I'd say she talked during most of it and the whole thing was very informal. In the end she connected me to a current grad student so that I could learn more about the program. Oh and she mentioned a campus visit at the end of February so I assume they'll let us know before then. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, ranny820 said:

@Crow T. Robot Congrats! My research supervisor went to UMN for undergrad and told me it's a great place to live in! I didn't apply because of the cold :P Have you heard back from Duke yet?

Thanks @ranny820! I keep hearing great things about Minneapolis--totally understand the cold concerns, though... I'm telling myself I'd be used to it since I'm originally from Massachusetts, but I suspect I am being very naïve about that...

And I have heard back from Duke! I had the initial Skype interview on Monday--if I had to sum it up in a phrase, I'd go with "amicably intense."

Glad to see some other comp lit applicants on here! My areas are South African & Middle Eastern Lit (Arabic/Hebrew). 

I'm not expecting to hear anything back until mid/late Feb but that isn't helping my nerves :( Getting serious doubts about the quality of my app - gotta stop reading these forums haha

Hey folks! Glad I finally found the Comp Lit people. I applied to CUNY, Chicago, Michigan, and UC Berkeley. Still no news from any of them. I saw on the results page that someone was admitted to Michigan Comp Lit today, though, so I'll be refreshing my emails all day... Good to be here with you all!

1 hour ago, immanentfields said:

Hi, occasional lurker here--I'm one of the Michigan comp lit acceptances. I actually got an email from the chair last night, but it seems that a few others went out this morning (or made the same mistake on the results page as I did). Very excited!

Congratulations! That's really exciting. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping they're just doing it over the course of a few days... Or something. Fingers crossed!

Thank you soooo much for your responses! :) I graduated as one of the four comp lit majors from my college, so it's definitely great to see that there are other people out there wanting the same thing!  Good luck everybody & try not to check the result page too much. No matter what happens in February everything will work out at the end of the day!

Yes! I applied to Columbia, Harvard, Yale, Brown, Princeton, NYU, Emory, CUNY, UC Davis, Northwestern, U. of Chicago, U. of Penn (lol i went a little overboard with applications). I'm  an international from Egypt, I graduated from the American Uni. in Cairo with a double major in Comp. Lit and Sociology. I also have an MFA from Columbia in Fiction. I hope to focus my research on Middle Eastern & North African Literature. Heard back from Davis and I have a Skype interview with them today (TERRIFIED)!