Anyone else doing comp lit?

3 minutes ago, Jožin z bažin said:

To anyone else who applied, previous years show interviews going out on more than one day. In 2016 invites were sent Feb 5 and 9, for example. They requested 15 minutes for tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info and for giving those of us still waiting a little hope ! haha. Good luck on your interview. If it's 15 minutes, I'm sure they just wanna get a feel for you. You're gonna do great. 

9 minutes ago, to_di said:

Also - don't automatically assume that they are very familiar with your file

Good idea, I'll prepare for this!

8 minutes ago, DatGuy said:

so you may be able to understand why I'm dying for any information here!

I definitely understand. This is my only response after missing the first wave from Chicago and Northwestern. 

@DatGuy and @glg96: Thank you for your kind words! There's definitely still hope. I was despairing yesterday over what I thought was my third implied rejection out of six applications, yet here we are. And for some schools only the first wave has passed. Anyway, I'll report back tomorrow night. Viel Glück to the other applicants!

6 hours ago, ely01 said:

Two updates: I think Chicago did interview all of their finalists--yes, the first year they've done interviews. And Yale is supposed to be conducting interviews this week (though maybe not for everyone?) and then making decisions some time next week.

Haha when you have precious information about Ivies, you need to have credentials and/or experience on the forum to be believed!

Can now confirm that Yale has sent out interview slots for their finalists; I'm not sure if they've sent out all the emails; (EDIT for credibility: the interviews being set up are for the end of this week.) I am in contact with faculty from the department/have a few friends who are finalists, but would prefer not to divulge further information because it would be fairly easy to pinpoint who I am. (If anyone has serious doubts about my credibility, feel free to shoot me a PM!)

Edited by ely01

3 hours ago, DatGuy said:

No worries! Would you mind clarifying what "short notice" entails? Penn and Michigan (got in there already) are the only two schools I'm excited about, so you may be able to understand why I'm dying for any information here!

Did u mean that Michigan has interviewed all of its potential candidates or that they have sent out their decisions? Thanks!!!

16 minutes ago, polilite said:

Did u mean that Michigan has interviewed all of its potential candidates or that they have sent out their decisions? Thanks!!!

I think they're saying that Penn and Michigan are their top choices, hence their interest in Penn's interview process. I also got an offer at Michigan and I did not interview. Not sure if everything has gone out, but someone on results posted that they had a Michigan interview so they might still be sending acceptance/evaluating wait-lists.

4 hours ago, immanentfields said:

I think they're saying that Penn and Michigan are their top choices, hence their interest in Penn's interview process. I also got an offer at Michigan and I did not interview. Not sure if everything has gone out, but someone on results posted that they had a Michigan interview so they might still be sending acceptance/evaluating wait-lists.

^Yeah, that's what I meant! Also, for those waiting on Penn still— fingers crossed for tomorrow! *heavy breathing intensifies*

14 hours ago, immanentfields said:

10 hours ago, DatGuy said:

^Yeah, that's what I meant! Also, for those waiting on Penn still— fingers crossed for tomorrow! *heavy breathing intensifies*

4 hours ago, YTC said:

I am the one who had the Michigan interview. They said they're finalising and I'll hear back from them in one or two weeks.

Thanks for the info!!!

Besides, I saw that someone got accepted into Brown’s complit, wondering if he/she received any interview....

5 hours ago, polilite said:

Besides, I saw that someone got accepted into Brown’s complit, wondering if he/she received any interview....

Another Brown acceptance went up this morning. Congratulations to whoever that is! Based on the historical results survey, it doesn't look like they interview, but who knows. 

Does anyone know how and when NYU informs? The results survey is all over the place. Last year it looks like everything started in March, but I can't tell if that was just folks getting off of the waitlist. Before 2017, it looks like they were pretty consistent in starting notifications around February 9th...

I know this is a little off topic, but for those who have had on campus interviews/campus visits, could you share a little insight on what to wear? My professor suggested something "not too formal" but also "not casual", so I'm thinking about just bringing dresses and jeans w/ nice tops. I'll be in California so it'll be around 75 degrees

22 minutes ago, ranny820 said:

I know this is a little off topic, but for those who have had on campus interviews/campus visits, could you share a little insight on what to wear? My professor suggested something "not too formal" but also "not casual", so I'm thinking about just bringing dresses and jeans w/ nice tops. I'll be in California so it'll be around 75 degrees

That sounds about right. I'm a guy, but I plan to wear jeans with a collared shirt and sweater/cardigan wherever I go. Also have blazers, but likely won't wear those.

Also: any more news on programs/interviews?!

2 hours ago, gregs said:

Does anyone know how and when NYU informs? The results survey is all over the place. Last year it looks like everything started in March, but I can't tell if that was just folks getting off of the waitlist. Before 2017, it looks like they were pretty consistent in starting notifications around February 9th...

@gregs I don't have any insight into NYU but you're right about the dates. I had no idea that they previously notified that early.

I haven't heard back from anyone yet so I hope NYU doesn't leave it until March again :mellow:

I know this has nothing to do with you guys, but since I used to be a Comp Lit hopeful and lurked here, I must inform y'all that I got into Rutgers's French Ph.D! I can hardly believe it, I should wait until I have actual emotions to post. Currently I'm in a smiley-cloudy-whut state of mind!

58 minutes ago, polilite said:

I’m also waiting for UPenn with radio silence, but as I only see one interview posted here, I’m suspicious on calling this a 100% rejection... fingercrossed.

2 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

I know this has nothing to do with you guys, but since I used to be a Comp Lit hopeful and lurked here, I must inform y'all that I got into Rutgers's French Ph.D! I can hardly believe it, I should wait until I have actual emotions to post. Currently I'm in a smiley-cloudy-whut state of mind!

Congrats, Yanaka! Great stuff. 

And yeah, chances are slim but I don’t think it’s a 100% rejection. I’m actually thinking of emailing a coordinator...

2 hours ago, DatGuy said:

That sounds about right. I'm a guy, but I plan to wear jeans with a collared shirt and sweater/cardigan wherever I go. Also have blazers, but likely won't wear those.

Also: any more news on programs/interviews?!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, glg96 said:

Is it fair to assume that if I haven't heard anything from UPenn, it's a rejection ? 

1 hour ago, polilite said:

I’m also waiting for UPenn with radio silence, but as I only see one interview posted here, I’m suspicious on calling this a 100% rejection... fingercrossed.

Same! From the 2017 results, it looks like people were still getting interview emails in mid-Feb. Don't give up hope yet!

1 hour ago, Yanaka said:

I must inform y'all that I got into Rutgers's French Ph.D! I can hardly believe it, I should wait until I have actual emotions to post.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!

CONGRATS YANAKS!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

2 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!

CONGRATS YANAKS!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

I didn't even see that I posted here!! hahahaha.

Thank you!!!! I still feel dizzy!

3 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Because of the acceptance? Or the post-acceptance jager bombs? Or both?!?!

HA! Hopefully the Jäger bombs will flow this weekend! Tonight it'll be a steady flow of pizza.... hahaha! I feel so rich already. Can I buy a whole barn and elephants, do you think?