Anyone else doing comp lit?

On 15/02/2018 at 9:34 AM, kaxtar1 said:

I mean the questions seem to be clearly focused on if there was a place for the interviewed.  What questions did y'all ask/what were their respective answers?

I basically was asked:
1. How my writing sample links to what I want to do for the doctorate.
2. An esoteric question pertaining to a book in my field, and how what I said in (1) relates to it.
3. Why I hadn't used the word postcolonial despite talking about postcolonial things for basically 8 minutes.
4. How I would teach a course on World Literature to undergrads.
5. What is the first thing I want to do upon entering grad school, and what is the first thing I should do.

These were basically the five or so larger questions we talked about. Don't remember if there was anything else particularly notable, except for questions pertaining to my knowledge of the languages I want to work in.

What about you guys?

Edited by DatGuy

12 hours ago, Missing Person 11 said:

Received a very good offer from SUNY-Buffalo, with presidential fellowship. I was wondering if anyone on this thread is also planning to go there?  

Amazing. Congratulations! I'm getting antsy waiting on Penn in the meanwhile, as is like 40% of this thread!

On 2/16/2018 at 3:00 PM, mxiongturquoise said:

Hi!  No words from Northwestern yet.  I emailed the program coordinator and was told the following:

"We hope to have our final admissions decisions made soon. Please be sure to check CollegeNet. We appreciate your patience and understanding."

Dying to hear from them too--I so hope to get to stay in Chicago...

Got my Northwestern rejection today. Hoping you had better luck!

Hey all! I am/was hoping to do Comparative Literature. I only applied to one program*, and I'm currently sitting nervously and precariously on a waitlist.

*Due to community ties and that my partner and I are building our first house in the area.

39 minutes ago, heysickah said:

Hey all! I am/was hoping to do Comparative Literature. I only applied to one program*, and I'm currently sitting nervously and precariously on a waitlist.

*Due to community ties and that my partner and I are building our first house in the area.

Can I ask which wait-list? I've been incredibly lucky to have multiple offers, and I think a few other people here have been too, so there might be some forthcoming movement .

6 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Officially rejected from Princeton, so just waiting on UCLA now.

So sorry you're having a bad season. I know all the feels. Hang in there

21 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

So sorry you're having a bad season. I know all the feels. Hang in there

Thanks, just means I need to reflect more on what I’m doing.

Also add official Stanford and Cornell rejections today.

2 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Thanks, just means I need to reflect more on what I’m doing.

Also add official Stanford and Cornell rejections today.

Hi!  So sorry to hear about all our rejections...but I like the idea that these are opportunities for reflection and further growth. 

I've been dying to hear back from Cornell as well, although I'm pretty sure it's an implied rejection.  May I ask whether you received an email about it? 

4 minutes ago, mxiongturquoise said:

Hi!  So sorry to hear about all our rejections...but I like the idea that these are opportunities for reflection and further growth. 

I've been dying to hear back from Cornell as well, although I'm pretty sure it's an implied rejection.  May I ask whether you received an email about it? 

Very brief email from Comp Lit DGS (Karen Pinkus I think) this afternoon.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:51 PM, immanentfields said:

Can I ask which wait-list? I've been incredibly lucky to have multiple offers, and I think a few other people here have been too, so there might be some forthcoming movement .

UNC-Chapel Hill. I hope that you are right!