Anyone else doing comp lit?

2 hours ago, Jožin z bažin said:

Congratulations, @immanentfields and @Travala! How exciting!

Would someone mind weighing in on a question for me? I just started a graduate-level internship that's relevant to my field and affiliated with an esteemed university. I don't want to inconvenience anyone but I'm also sitting on a good pile of implied rejections. Should I notify the universities finalizing decisions (Harvard, Penn, Maryland) and, If so, would program coordinators be the right contact?

Thanks! And for your question, I do not think that you have anything to lose by notifying them. It would only show them that you are serious about what you do and really eager to participate in their program.

5 hours ago, Jožin z bažin said:

Would someone mind weighing in on a question for me? I just started a graduate-level internship that's relevant to my field and affiliated with an esteemed university. I don't want to inconvenience anyone but I'm also sitting on a good pile of implied rejections. Should I notify the universities finalizing decisions (Harvard, Penn, Maryland) and, If so, would program coordinators be the right contact?

I’m thinking about this, but I’m a bit confused as to what you mean by this internship. Is it attached to an offer from one of your other schools?

5 hours ago, Jožin z bažin said:

Also I hope you’re not counting Penn as one of the implied rejections. They are still interviewing till at least Wednesday!

Thanks, @Travala, that's a good point. It wouldn't hurt if I'm already accepted.

Thanks for the reply, @DatGuy. It's not associated with my applications, just an opportunity that's normally offered to grad students. And those are the three programs I'm still holding onto hope for (at least the wait list, in Harvard's case).

Edit: Here goes nothing.

Edited by Jožin z bažin

2 hours ago, Jožin z bažin said:

Thanks, @Travala, that's a good point. It wouldn't hurt if I'm already accepted.

Thanks for the reply, @DatGuy. It's not associated with my applications, just an opportunity that's normally offered to grad students. And those are the three programs I'm still holding onto hope for (at least the wait list, in Harvard's case).

Edit: Here goes nothing.

Interesting! And do you have to be in any particular place to enrol in it? Sorry, I'm just confused because I don't know what these things look like!

@DatGuy No problem, yeah, it's remote. I saw an announcement for it on a listserv in my area of study. If you haven't already I recommend subscribing to one to keep up to date on funding opportunities, conferences, translation questions, etc. For example SASIALIT looks like a good choice for South Asian studies.

44 minutes ago, kaxtar1 said:

What should I expect to see for grad school interviews?  I have one this week with a top school (in my eyes), and would love to get an idea what to expect.  

The one interview I had was pretty straightforward and simple. They just asked about me to describe my research interests and what comparative element I’m thinking of incorporating. They also asked me about my language skills and how I plan to use them for my research. I wasn’t quizzed on my language skills though someone else on this thread mentioned that they were. The last five minutes of the interview were dedicated to answering any questions I had. Hope this helps! 

50 minutes ago, jshaarawi said:

The one interview I had was pretty straightforward and simple. They just asked about me to describe my research interests and what comparative element I’m thinking of incorporating. They also asked me about my language skills and how I plan to use them for my research. I wasn’t quizzed on my language skills though someone else on this thread mentioned that they were. The last five minutes of the interview were dedicated to answering any questions I had. Hope this helps! 

Immensely.  Thank you so much for your reply

2 hours ago, jshaarawi said:

Thank you! I have an interview tomorrow (I think at the same program?) and this helps a lot! I had no idea what to expect.

39 minutes ago, DatGuy said:

I had my Penn interview today and both Emily Wilson and Rita Barnard were lovely! I'm pretty sure Penn Comp Lit' won't take more than 6-8 people (at the very most) in the end, which makes the interview stage so scary tbh. 

What was the format like? 

1 hour ago, DatGuy said:

Quite informal, and thoughtful questions but none that were meant to throw you into a trap. Just know your research and yourself well, and you'll be fine!

Huh alright, I'm trying to figure out what my interview will be like and the research online isnt specific enough

2 hours ago, DatGuy said:

I had my Penn interview today and both Emily Wilson and Rita Barnard were lovely! I'm pretty sure Penn Comp Lit' won't take more than 6-8 people (at the very most) in the end, which makes the interview stage so scary tbh. 

Did you mention them in your SOP? One thing that's weird for me is that neither of the people I'm interviewing with are POI for me (even though they both sound rad). Mine's tomorrow morning at six am my time....

32 minutes ago, immanentfields said:

Did you mention them in your SOP? One thing that's weird for me is that neither of the people I'm interviewing with are POI for me (even though they both sound rad). Mine's tomorrow morning at six am my time....

Not at all. I believe they are just representing the GAC. I don’t think it’s meant to be with your POIs.

55 minutes ago, immanentfields said:

Just finished my UPenn interview (which I think went well enough). They said decisions would be coming in "the next week or two."

I also just finished up my interview with them (the interview I mentioned in the previous post was for Davis). They threw a few curveballs my way but I think it went pretty well. My roommate, who was listening at the door like the helicopter mom that she is, claims that I killed it so here's hoping! They also told me results will come in the next couple of weeks.

57 minutes ago, jshaarawi said:

I also just finished up my interview with them (the interview I mentioned in the previous post was for Davis). They threw a few curveballs my way but I think it went pretty well. My roommate, who was listening at the door like the helicopter mom that she is, claims that I killed it so here's hoping! They also told me results will come in the next couple of weeks.

Not sure if gradcafe is attracting more qualified applicants or if they're interviewing an absurdly high number of students

1 hour ago, kaxtar1 said:

Not sure if gradcafe is attracting more qualified applicants or if they're interviewing an absurdly high number of students

I think it’s a combination of how all the obsessed nuts like us (who would likely be be stronger candidates on average) tend to be here, and what I think is them interviewing about 15-20 for what would be 6-8 seats at most. Anyway, here’s hoping! 

Also, shaarawi, since everyone on here has had their interview (at least from my calculations), would you mind sharing what you were referring to as curve balls? It’s fine if you’d rather not, but I think it’s worth a shot to ask! 

Edited by DatGuy