Fall 2018 Cognitive Psych PhD applicants

cogpsych94

It seems not a lot of people here are interested in cognitive psychology.

I applied to: UCLA, WUSTL, Brown, Princeton, Upenn, Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Berkeley, U of South Florida, Tufts, Saskatchewan (Canada), Waterloo (Canada), Edinburgh (UK), Sussex (UK).

Rejection/assumed rejection: Berkeley, Illinois, Waterloo, WUSTL

Accepted: Edinburgh

Interviews: Brown, USF

Haven't heard a word from UCLA, Princeton, Upenn, or Tufts. 

Hi. I don't know much about the application process of European universities. So, I was wondering, are PhD programs of universities, such as Edinburgh and Sussex, funded?

17 hours ago, JustSad said:

Hi. I don't know much about the application process of European universities. So, I was wondering, are PhD programs of universities, such as Edinburgh and Sussex, funded?

I am not sure for other European universities but I can speak for UK. Short answer is no, they are not funded, but most people don't accept places unless they find funding.

PhD programs are generally separate from Master's, so they are 3 years, usually with no course/teaching requirements. So just research. Many people apply for 1+3 (Master's + PhD) programs, and these are funded from research councils, which you need to be a UK/EU citizen to be eligible. Rich universities (like Sussex, Edinburgh, Manchester), can afford funding students of their own, so they generally have "international research scholarships" for international students (this covers stipend and tuition). There are also external funding opportunities, such as from trusts and charities (e.g. Marshall trust for US nationals). There are also project-based PhD opportunities, but these usually cover tuition on UK-level so you need to find another small scholarship to cover the differences in tuition. 

In any case, the easiest but the most competitive option is going for the university's international research scholarship. Otherwise, you may need to secure more than one scholarship.

I only applied to a few programs because of money issues, but I did apply to a few cognitive programs. 

University of Utah: Cognition and Neural Science PhD
Lehigh University: Cognition and Language PhD

I'm interviewing at Utah this weekend, and Lehigh the next. 

10 hours ago, crystalcolours said:

I only applied to a few programs because of money issues, but I did apply to a few cognitive programs. 

University of Utah: Cognition and Neural Science PhD
Lehigh University: Cognition and Language PhD

I'm interviewing at Utah this weekend, and Lehigh the next. 

Good luck on the interviews!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 10:11 PM, 1996kayden said:

Any updates from UNC Chapel Hill?

I interviewed last week (a week later than the "interview weekend") for the Developmental Science/Psychology track, and have not heard anything yet. :wacko: Have you heard anything from you POI or the Interview Coordinator?

On 2/21/2018 at 5:18 PM, DevSci said:

I interviewed last week (a week later than the "interview weekend") for the Developmental Science/Psychology track, and have not heard anything yet. :wacko: Have you heard anything from you POI or the Interview Coordinator?

Not a word, so pretty sure they're not interested. Oh well :/

Good luck to you!

16 hours ago, 1996kayden said:

Not a word, so pretty sure they're not interested. Oh well :/

Good luck to you!

Thanks! Crossing my fingers for you a that you hear from the other schools!

4 hours ago, VVMM said:

I also applied to Cognitive psychology program at Stony Brook, but I am still waiting for the mail.

Any news about Stony Brook?

I haven't heard anything! I also didn't receive an interview so I'm not expecting much. Looking at the results section, there has been at least one acceptance in the cognitive science area. 

Did you have an interview there?

19 hours ago, cogpsych94 said:

I haven't heard anything! I also didn't receive an interview so I'm not expecting much. Looking at the results section, there has been at least one acceptance in the cognitive science area. 

Did you have an interview there?

No, nothing yet. 

Yes, I noticed that acceptance too. But I mailed the Grad coordinator in January and she said "The fastest way for you to find out your status would be to contact who you listed on your application to work with.  Otherwise, we will start sending out letters in March, with all decisions finalized by April 15th."

I thought everyone here would like this:

Somone on Reddit estimated decision timelines based on GradCafe data. For each university and program you will find three graphs:

• Decision timeline as a cumulative sum of decisions (accept, reject, interview, waitlist) as a function of time between Jan 1 and May 1 for the last five years combined.
  • Boxplots of GRE Q and GRE V for people who reported both scores.
  • Histogram of GPAs (from 2.5 to 4.0 with 0.1 step).

https://www.reddit.com/r/gradadmissions/comments/7srxxy/decision_timelines_for_particular_universities/

Brilliant!