Trudeau 2018

T7879

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has heard anything about semi-finalist results yet?  I know they said early February on the website, but I realized there wasn't a thread up for this year yet.

I'm SO happy to see a thread about this here. Now that we're in "early February", I've started going insane with the anticipation. I think we can all agree that this scholarship is a longshot, but I can't help but hope just a little bit. It appears from reading and re-reading posts on the site obsessively that notifications start to go out some time between February 9th to February 11th. It's only the 7th today. This is painful.

Good luck everyone!!!

3 hours ago, spicytunaroll said:

how much time did y'all spend on this application?

A few hours a day over the course of a week. I was fortunate to have just gone through my first year review, so I had a massive document to draw from. It was mostly editing work. It would have taken me much, much longer otherwise.

I spent about 5-10 hours per week over the course of a few weeks... probably about 15 hours total.  I had a partial proposal for a project but I had to seriously adapt it to work for this.  And I spent a lot of time editing and re-editing to make sure it fit the Trudeau themes. 

I'm really thinking people have likely heard by now... judging from last year's threads, it looks like you have to submit a video if you are a semi-finalist, and they use those to determine the interviewees.  It looks like rejections might come by mail, not email. 

1 hour ago, T7879 said:

I'm really thinking people have likely heard by now... judging from last year's threads, it looks like you have to submit a video if you are a semi-finalist, and they use those to determine the interviewees.  It looks like rejections might come by mail, not email. 

I'm really not sure. I've read that people received emails in the past. Plus I imagine it'd be easier to send out mass emails rather than contend with snail mail. I'm abroad. Not convinced they'd waste the postage :P

Edited by pisciculus

1 hour ago, pisciculus said:

I'm really not sure. I've read that people received emails in the past. Plus I imagine it'd be easier to send out mass emails rather than contend with snail mail. I'm abroad. Not convinced they'd waste the postage :P

Hmm, good point... I still haven't heard anything so I gotta say I think I'm out of the running.  But it was a long shot!  They seem to only take people who run their own companies, have written multiple books, won Nobel Prizes, etc. :-)

13 minutes ago, T7879 said:

Hmm, good point... I still haven't heard anything so I gotta say I think I'm out of the running.  But it was a long shot!  They seem to only take people who run their own companies, have written multiple books, won Nobel Prizes, etc. :-)

I can't help but hold on until I know for sure. Sucker for punishment, I guess. I'll definitely update once I know for sure. I can only hope that my news of rejection or (unlikely) acceptance will be read by future applicants scouring the internet. For now, I can sleep, since the headquarters is closed for the day.

Hi everyone, I thought it would be helpful to update that I applied for the Trudeau and I just got an email stating that I’m a semi-finalist. The email is from the Trudeau Foundation itself signed by Josee St-Martin. No indication of what the next step will be. Best of luck to all of you!

11 hours ago, msfinley said:

Hi everyone, I thought it would be helpful to update that I applied for the Trudeau and I just got an email stating that I’m a semi-finalist. The email is from the Trudeau Foundation itself signed by Josee St-Martin. No indication of what the next step will be. Best of luck to all of you!

congratulations!!!!!! that probably means whoever didn't get an email will receive a rejection soon

Congrats on the great news! I haven't heard a thing myself, so I'm not too hopeful anymore.

What about everyone's application in the system? Still there? Or have people seen theirs disappear? @p(ache)d mentioned above that they saw their application removed from the system before the rejection email. Mine's still sitting there in the portal, "under review"...

I got my rejection email two hours ago. "We regret to inform you that your file was not among those retained to advance further through the selection process."

Best of luck to everyone who is at the semi-finalist stage!

4 minutes ago, high_hopes said:

I got my rejection email two hours ago. "We regret to inform you that your file was not among those retained to advance further through the selection process."

Best of luck to everyone who is at the semi-finalist stage!

Same here!

Thanks everyone. I don’t want this to come off as fake “consolation” but I do want to let everyone know that last year I applied for SSHRC and wasn’t even forwarded to the national competition. And now this year I’ve advanved in SSHRC, Vanier, and Trudeau. Same project. Same grades. One extra co-authored publication. From what I’ve heard from my supervisor and the department there are a lot of politics and other behind-the-scenes information we aren’t privy to. So please, please, please don’t take the outcome as a reflection of your work and especially not of you as a person. It really seems like a crapshoot.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, another update to let you know I received a call from the foundation yesterday (around 3 pm) letting me know I've been accepted as a finalist. My interview is March 16th in Montreal. She sent me an email right after our phone conversation, so if you didn't get a call perhaps look out for an email? Best of luck!