Hi everyone,

I know admissions decisions are still a long ways away, but I thought it could be helpful to discuss the comparative merits of these great IR and public policy programs.

I applied to HKS's MPP, Columbia's MIA, Georgetown's MSFS, WWS's MPA, and SAIS's MA.

I also applied to Georgetown's Security Studies Program, but am leaning away from the latter now because of high tuition costs and rumored lack of aid.

How do you feel these schools compare to one another, in terms of job prospects, curriculum/course offerings, school culture, academic rigor, faculty? Which would be your dream program and why?

Not sure about all of these but following. What I will say is if you go to SIPA, you're much more likely to get funding as a second-year than the first year. The curriculum there is also great in terms of faculty for the MIA, but I'm not sure how the rigor compares to similar programs. It always feels strange lumping in MIA with MPP--not sure how comparable they are.

• 2 weeks later...

This is of course anecdotal testimony, but from things I have read on this board, and from discussions I have had with others, these places give aid by varying degrees: WWS(Virtually everyone gets substantial aid), HKS (many get aid to some degree), SAIS (very little), MSFS (Almost none).

It also depends on your background. The better you test on the GRE, the more real world experience you have and any other skills you might have that are unique (advanced quant, computer skills, language skills) the more aid you will receive. 

As far as ROI and job outcomes, from what I have heard, pretty much everyone who goes to WWS has their pick of the best jobs in the field with virtually no debt. Grads from HKS usually have moderate to considerable debt, but they are well off enough that their starting salaries compensate for the debt. SAIS and SIPA set their grads up with gigs that pay upwards of 80K, but they are saddled with crushing debt that prevents them from taking public/non-profit positions. MSFS grads have the inside track to posh federal jobs, but the federal hiring freeze and some other unforeseen events have thrown that off. 

Edited by Nico Corr

1 hour ago, Nico Corr said:

This is of course anecdotal testimony, but from things I have read on this board, and from discussions I have had with others, these places give aid by varying degrees: WWS(Virtually everyone gets substantial aid), HKS (many get aid to some degree), SAIS (very little), MSFS (Almost none).

It also depends on your background. The better you test on the GRE, the more real world experience you have and any other skills you might have that are unique (advanced quant, computer skills, language skills) the more aid you will receive. 

As far as ROI and job outcomes, from what I have heard, pretty much everyone who goes to WWS has their pick of the best jobs in the field with virtually no debt. Grads from HKS usually have moderate to considerable debt, but they are well off enough that their starting salaries compensate for the debt. SAIS and SIPA set their grads up with gigs that pay upwards of 80K, but they are saddled with crushing debt that prevents them from taking public/non-profit positions. MSFS grads have the inside track to posh federal jobs, but the federal hiring freeze and some other unforeseen events have thrown that off. 

1) HKS is stingy with financial aid.

2) The starting salaries among these places are mostly comparable. It matters what field you go into; not which university you came from. WWS places better than SIPA for many positions, but it's to a moderate rather than incredibly high degree.

3) Many people from HKS may be well off enough to eventually pay down their debt, but for many the $120K+ debt will severely affect their finances for years to come.

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone,

I wanted some help in comparing the MIPP at Johns Hopkins SAIS with the MPP at Harvard. Could someone help me with the pros and cons of both? Some things that I would like some help with are

1. Stature/ recognition of the institution

2. Costs

3. Post program placement opportunities

4. Learning