@lost686girl I think it'll be in March when all the regular deadline people are accepted. I love WUSTL as an intellectual community so much but don't want to live in St. Louis :( their practicum placements don't look promising to me

28 minutes ago, stheart said:

@lost686girl I think it'll be in March when all the regular deadline people are accepted. I love WUSTL as an intellectual community so much but don't want to live in St. Louis :( their practicum placements don't look promising to me

Can you expand on practicum placements not looking promising? 

1 hour ago, SWjdg said:

Can you expand on practicum placements not looking promising? 

There doesn't seem to be a lot of Macro placements, and that's what I want to do. There aren't the same Macro opportunities in St. Louis as other big city schools I applied to, like Seattle, Chicago, or New York City. I also hear that you have to look for your own practicum placement because you're competing with two other schools in St. Louis for placements. It is, however, an incredible research school and I love the kind of people they admit. It's very big-picture oriented. I just don't think my heart is into research; at least, not enough to move to St. Louis. :(

Edited by stheart

1 hour ago, stheart said:

There doesn't seem to be a lot of Macro placements, and that's what I want to do. There aren't the same Macro opportunities in St. Louis as other big city schools I applied to, like Seattle, Chicago, or New York City. I also hear that you have to look for your own practicum placement because you're competing with two other schools in St. Louis for placements. It is, however, an incredible research school and I love the kind of people they admit. It's very big-picture oriented. I just don't think my heart is into research; at least, not enough to move to St. Louis. :(

I'm in my last semester at WashU (policy/research orientated) and I couldn't disagree more. There is a good amount of macro based opportunities, you just have to be assertive in acquiring them. Some of the most important macro projects in the country are happening right in this city (For the Sake of All, for example). You have to look for your own practicum placement anywhere you go. I can assure you the St. Louis area has more than enough to choose from. 

11 minutes ago, DisasterBin said:

I am currently studying at the Brown School. I would like to provide some insights if you guys have specific questions.

Yes, I would like to know more about your experience, both the school and living/working as a grad student in STL. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

23 hours ago, DisasterBin said:

I am currently studying at the Brown School. I would like to provide some insights if you guys have specific questions.

If you don't mind my asking, what debt load did you take on in getting this degree, and how are you feeling about that choice?  WUSTL seems like a wonderful school, but the price is a real sticking point for me.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:57 PM, atomizer said:

If you don't mind my asking, what debt load did you take on in getting this degree, and how are you feeling about that choice?  WUSTL seems like a wonderful school, but the price is a real sticking point for me.

Actually, I am an international student and my tuition fee is paid by my government. Therefore, I am ignorant about the debt loan; however, the Brown School at WashU provides generous part-time student working opportunities and research fellowships to the master students. Also, the apartment rent is low in St. Louis. I individualized my concentration as Health Promotion in the Global Settings, which combines International Social and Economic Development and Health two concentrations. I met several fabulous faculties here, like Prof. Lesorogol, Prof. Stiriz, and Prof. Ssewamala; and, they support me a lot in the academic and career development. Moreover, the Brown School is wealthy, which is important to offer various activities and experiences to students!!! 

On 2/18/2018 at 11:42 PM, MSWApplicantFall2018 said:

Yes, I would like to know more about your experience, both the school and living/working as a grad student in STL. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:57 PM, atomizer said:

The Brown School at WashU provides various difficulty levels of courses for students. For challenging myself, I chose a lot of advanced courses, which made me exhausted but happy to sharpen my mind and research skills.

Around 1/23, but I asked for an expedited review of my application! I also just submitted my Need Based Scholarship application.

Edited by stheart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jadefire94 said:

Has anyone else heard back from WUSTL Brown yet? I applied in late Feb and it's so nerve-wracking to wait for the decision!

I submitted my application on 2/5 and I checked the portal on 3/15 and saw my acceptance! The decision was rendered on 3/14, but I didn't get an email telling me to check the portal until 3/16.

On 3/29/2018 at 5:13 PM, kd225 said:

I submitted my application on 2/5 and I checked the portal on 3/15 and saw my acceptance! The decision was rendered on 3/14, but I didn't get an email telling me to check the portal until 3/16.

Thanks for the reply, that was super helpful info. I actually checked the portal today and got accepted! I'm so excited!!! :) I really want to attend there, but it's so expensive, even with a scholarship I got, so that's making me hesitate a little. But still, I'm ecstatic that I got in!

10 hours ago, jadefire94 said:

Thanks for the reply, that was super helpful info. I actually checked the portal today and got accepted! I'm so excited!!! :) I really want to attend there, but it's so expensive, even with a scholarship I got, so that's making me hesitate a little. But still, I'm ecstatic that I got in!

Congrats!!! I hope everything works out for you :)