Is there any way to secure more funding? Scholarships? Jobs?

Oklash

I've recently been admitted to an MA program with an 20K stipend. I know this is generous for an MA program but I am trying to gauge my loan and student debt prospects. Anyone else with a similar stipend? Has anyone found any other ways to get funding? Has anyone managed to get scholarships that are separate from the particular university or department? Any jobs? Did you even need a loan? 

How expensive is the area? I have two PhD offers around that range: one in a low cost city and enough to live on and another in a more expensive city where it is going to be more difficult.  Rent is going to be the largest part of your stipend likely so see how much that is. If you are going to a US program and are a US resident you can get federal graduate loans.  But if you are an international student and have an on campus job as a part of your stipend you may not be able to work anywhere else so you would have to verify that you can have a second job. 

3 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

But if you are an international student and have an on campus job as a part of your stipend you may not be able to work anywhere else so you would have to verify that you can have a second job. 

An international student on F-1 or J-1 status will definitely not be able to work off campus for extra pay. They can participate in certain programs CPT/OPT/AT to take time in order to work in their field but very few graduate programs allow this in the middle of a degree program (could be okay for summers or after graduation though).

F-1 and J-1 students may also qualify for permission to work off campus outside of their field of study only in emergency situations. They could apply for this special work permission if they demonstrate financial need.

However, one major condition of getting F-1 or J-1 status in the first place is that they have enough funds to support themselves, either through loans/personal funds and/or stipends. So one could only qualify for this special work permission if there was an unexpected major change that resulted in this financial need.