Philadelphia, PA

Guest penn

Congrats on your acceptance, everyone!

I currently live in Philly but I am moving to NYC for school. My parents' home (new construction) in the Old City neighborhood has two rooms for rent. Two blocks from bars and nightlife on Market street and 5 minute walk to Chinatown for food! To get to UPenn/Drexel/USP--10 minute drive or 19 minutes via public transportation. PM me if you're interested! Pictures and additional details upon request.

I love my city and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do! Also, for those of you looking to live in Center City (aka Downtown) on the cheap, check about Robin Apartments. You can score a studio for $600! Basically unheard of in Center City. If you're not looking for anything fancy and don't own any pets, it is definitely worth checking out! 

19 hours ago, Allons-yDarling said:

Hello! I'm going to be attending Temple in the fall in their MFA Theatre Design program. I just got back from a visit to Philadelphia, which was lovely, I really like the city. However, I'm struggling to find an apartment. I stopped in to a realtor's office right off campus on Friday to see if they had any nearby properties that fit my "cats allowed and 1 bedroom not basement or ground floor" requirements, and they only had one property that fit the description... Which I had a tentative appointment to tour until I walked past the building, saw the building next door was burnt out and boarded out, and decided I'd rather not live in that neighborhood. 

So I'm currently trying to do remote apartment housing. I did want to live close to campus, because with the theatre program, I'll probably have numerous late nights, but I'm not very fond of the area west of Temple. What neighborhoods have convenient public transit to Temple and are safer/nicer? And are their any recommendations for what websites are good for apartment hunting? I've been using Zillow, but a lot of the properties I've tried to contact about turn out to be already rented. 

I found that when I was moving to Philly, it was really hard to rent from afar. I ended up just booking a flight and packing in a ton of showings in a day or two. I know that takes financial resources, but I was able to get a MUCH better deal on a great apartment a block from the subway from going in person. I also found that some I thought I would definitely want to live in, ended up being terrible in person.  This is especially true if you're a person who is concerned about the neighborhood... you'll want to go in person as Philly can vary block to block.  I just used craigslist/padmapper. There are larger buildings that you could lease online, but they're likely to cost you a pretty penny.

That said, I loved living there more than anywhere else I've lived (including Boston and DC) and would move back in a heartbeat!

I'll be attending Salus University in the fall and am looking for an apartment. I'm from 6 hours away so right now I'm just looking online. Is it totally impossible to find a studio or 1-bedroom for $600 or under in the Elkins Park/Abington/Jenkintown area? I'd like to be 25 minutes from the campus, max. I'm also probably going to have a dog with me but I'm not 100% sure yet. I really really want to live alone but all the studios and 1-bedrooms I've seen so far start at $750 and I just can't afford that at all. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it!

• 1 month later...

Just a list of real estate companies operating in Philly. I am actually combining those and craiglist to find a place to stay for my Ph.D.

https://offcampushousing.upenn.edu/resource
http://www.zillow.com/
http://www.weichertrents.com/
http://www.jbmpgroup.com/
http://www.ocfrealty.com/

http://newagerealtygroup.com/vacancies/

http://www.trulia.com/

Edited by maxdml

Hey guys,

I am planning to attend UPenn this fall and I would like to know about what areas are close enough and cheap enough for a graduate student?

Also, what are the part time job prospects around here?

Thanks in advance!

23 minutes ago, nanthini said:

Hey guys,

I am planning to attend UPenn this fall and I would like to know about what areas are close enough and cheap enough for a graduate student?

Also, what are the part time job prospects around here?

Thanks in advance!

When I lived in Philly (worked at Temple), I lived in Manayunk, which was relatively cheap, safe, and interesting. If I recall, though, it's hard to get from the Manayunk/Roxborough area to west Philly where Penn is on the train. I know a lot of people lived in south Philly or further out in the "suburb" areas. 

4 hours ago, stereopticons said:

When I lived in Philly (worked at Temple), I lived in Manayunk, which was relatively cheap, safe, and interesting. If I recall, though, it's hard to get from the Manayunk/Roxborough area to west Philly where Penn is on the train. I know a lot of people lived in south Philly or further out in the "suburb" areas. 

I don't want to waste a lot of time traveling, so some areas near the school, I've heard of University City and Centre City so far.. Any ideas on how safe they are?

4 hours ago, nanthini said:

I don't want to waste a lot of time traveling, so some areas near the school, I've heard of University City and Centre City so far.. Any ideas on how safe they are?

Center City is safe but expensive. I don't know a lot about University City. 

1 hour ago, nanthini said:

Alright, thanks for the help!

I would avoid University City. It is safe, but very expensive (for Philadelphia, at least) and full of undergrads. Try looking in the area surrounding Baltimore Ave between 38th and 50th - it's a beautiful, affordable area with a lot of green space and cool little shops (also home to Dottie's donuts, best donuts in the city). Also very safe - I think that's where a lot of Penn and Drexel grads live.

On 1/18/2017 at 9:11 AM, dagnabbit said:

I would avoid University City. It is safe, but very expensive (for Philadelphia, at least) and full of undergrads. Try looking in the area surrounding Baltimore Ave between 38th and 50th - it's a beautiful, affordable area with a lot of green space and cool little shops (also home to Dottie's donuts, best donuts in the city). Also very safe - I think that's where a lot of Penn and Drexel grads live.

Oh sure, I'll look into it. Thanks for the help! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I live in New York and have heard that the job market for social workers is saturated and it's difficult to get a job in the field. I have been considering applying to Masters programs with a long term view of earning the LCSW and going into private practice.

Does anyone know what the job market is like, especially in NYC and what the prospects are to work with an LCSW. I am afraid of investing so many years in this profession and eventually finding out that I cannot work  in it or cannot open a private practice/make any money in private practice.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I have a couple questions. Has anyone completed the University of Illinois master's program (or any other one!) from out of field? Can you tell me about it? How much longer was the program for you, when did you graduate, etc. 

Also, that program has two summers, one that's a few classes and one that's just a placement. (This goes for any program though, not just U of I) How do loans work for summer classes that are required? Can you take out more to cover that??

Thanks for any insight!

Edited by sardothi3n
forgot something

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm considering becoming a student at Rowan University in Glassboro, NJ. I ideally want to live without roommates in a studio or 1-bedroom apt, but also not spend a fortune on rent. Cheapest I've seen in Glassboro is $800 which is not horrible. I'm considering other options to see if I can do even better. 

Does anyone know of safe towns that are a 30-45 minute drive from Rowan (in any direction) that I can look into? I hear Philly is 20 minutes away, so neighboring Philly towns may work! Thanks!

On 3/10/2017 at 6:08 PM, eveline said:

Hi everyone! I'm considering becoming a student at Rowan University in Glassboro, NJ. I ideally want to live without roommates in a studio or 1-bedroom apt, but also not spend a fortune on rent. Cheapest I've seen in Glassboro is $800 which is not horrible. I'm considering other options to see if I can do even better. 

I hear Philly is 20 minutes away, so something near Philly may work! I'm willing to commute 30-45 mins. Does anyone know of safe (and hopefully cheaper) towns towards NJ? I can look up the distance to Rowan myself if anyone can throw out safe town names?Thanks. 

I hear that Haddonfield and Collingswood are good towns for young people and families that work in Philly, so I'm assuming they're not too far from Glassboro either?

On 3/12/2017 at 10:56 AM, travelgirl125 said:

I hear that Haddonfield and Collingswood are good towns for young people and families that work in Philly, so I'm assuming they're not too far from Glassboro either?

Thanks! I'll look into these!

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread. Looking for an affordable studio/1br apartment in ("good") West Philly and Wynnefield and Overbrook, let me know if you hear of anything!

• 2 weeks later...

I go to Drexel currently. I live in Center City, which can be pricier, but it is super convenient. I am able to walk to Chinatown, Old City, and University City if I really wanted to. Also everything is right here so you don't need to really leave. DO NOT BRING A CAR. Literally nowhere to park and parking is expensive. Commuting is a mess. I have classmates that commute from New Jersey and Delaware and with the amount of construction that occurs in the city, it is just a wreck. If you want to have a car, do so at your own risk. I would not utilize it to drive around the city though. Manayunk is the place to be if you want to live in the suburbs. I have a lot of friends that live there. I just think living in the city is a lot more fun and there is a lot to do there. I live right by the comcast center, next to a rooftop bar, and a beer garden. It's fun. University City has a lot of new apartments that could be nice. University City has plenty to do, but a lot of people come to Center City for things if you want an older crowd.

• 1 month later...
On 03/05/2017 at 7:58 PM, phdcalling said:

I go to Drexel currently. I live in Center City, which can be pricier, but it is super convenient. I am able to walk to Chinatown, Old City, and University City if I really wanted to. Also everything is right here so you don't need to really leave. DO NOT BRING A CAR. Literally nowhere to park and parking is expensive. Commuting is a mess. I have classmates that commute from New Jersey and Delaware and with the amount of construction that occurs in the city, it is just a wreck. If you want to have a car, do so at your own risk. I would not utilize it to drive around the city though. Manayunk is the place to be if you want to live in the suburbs. I have a lot of friends that live there. I just think living in the city is a lot more fun and there is a lot to do there. I live right by the comcast center, next to a rooftop bar, and a beer garden. It's fun. University City has a lot of new apartments that could be nice. University City has plenty to do, but a lot of people come to Center City for things if you want an older crowd.

How's transportation in general, particularly with the Main Line?

Hello Everyone,

I am a 3rd year grad student in Temple's PHD program. On the topic of moving to Philadelphia, I have a room available for August in West Philly, a few blocks from the MFL and walkable to University City. I am looking for a male roommate who doesn't mind living with a small dog. Message me if you want some more information - us grad students have to stick together.

On 6/8/2017 at 4:26 AM, Yanaka said:

How's transportation in general, particularly with the Main Line?

I find public transportation to be incredibly gross and horrendous I never use it, but I'm originally from the DC area and studied in London so I am accustomed to better transportation systems. Septa is just a mess honestly. They close down randomly. There was a septa strike that affected many of my clients. Homeless people are on it. Just downright dirty and awful. I usually take an uber everywhere.

13 minutes ago, phdcalling said:

I find public transportation to be incredibly gross and horrendous I never use it, but I'm originally from the DC area and studied in London so I am accustomed to better transportation systems. Septa is just a mess honestly. They close down randomly. There was a septa strike that affected many of my clients. Homeless people are on it. Just downright dirty and awful. I usually take an uber everywhere.

Sounds like what I'm accustomed to in Paris :lol: 

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2017 at 2:19 PM, Yanaka said:

Bumping this thread. Looking for an affordable studio/1br apartment in ("good") West Philly and Wynnefield and Overbrook, let me know if you hear of anything!

@Yanaka if you're still looking for ideas, I live in overbrook. Let me know if you have any questions.