Part Time Program + Working?

I was wondering if there is anyone currently in a grad program (either part or full time) and working. I'm starting my online master's program this summer, and I got offered a 20-30 hour part time job as an admin assistant. I don't know if I can handle working that many hours and balancing my course work... Still need the work though because I know my grad school and bills can't pay itself! haha. Currently, I work as a behavior therapist in ABA and I want to leave that job because it can be draining and I'd only work 4-6 hours a day.

I wanna hear your experiences and insights :) 

One of the programs I applied to recommended not working the first semester to make sure you can balance tbe courseload. That said, I'll likely look into working too.

Have you investigated the courseload for your first term? That may help you see how doable it is. Also, looking into flexibility of the new position as well as what days you'll be working is important. Most master's programs have you busy during the week, so working mostly on weekends may be a better option. 

On 4/10/2018 at 12:39 AM, katherinexo said:

I was wondering if there is anyone currently in a grad program (either part or full time) and working. I'm starting my online master's program this summer, and I got offered a 20-30 hour part time job as an admin assistant. I don't know if I can handle working that many hours and balancing my course work... Still need the work though because I know my grad school and bills can't pay itself! haha. Currently, I work as a behavior therapist in ABA and I want to leave that job because it can be draining and I'd only work 4-6 hours a day.

I personally haven't but I have heard of people being able to with like three jobs while doing an online master's program. I have a friend who is doing the FSU distance program and she typically doesn't have her lectures online until later in the evening I believe, so that gives her plenty of time to have a job during the day. Granted I don't know how it is like once you start clinicals. 

On 4/10/2018 at 12:39 AM, katherinexo said:

Granted it's not grad school, but I've been doing my online undergrad and post bacc programs full-time while working 50-60 hours a week. If I had gone with an online grad program I was planning to quit my part-time job and work "only" 40 hours a week until the externships started. I'm very busy but it's doable (I just procrastinate doing chores/errands until it's absolutely necessary). I'm really lazy by nature and even I can do it, so as long as you're good at time management you should be fine.

On 4/10/2018 at 10:53 AM, FutureSLP1212 said:

Which program if you don’t mind me asking ?

University of South Carolina's Master of Communication Disorder :) 3 year program that normally starts in the summers.

23 hours ago, mirrorcat43 said:

One of the programs I applied to recommended not working the first semester to make sure you can balance tbe courseload. That said, I'll likely look into working too.

Have you investigated the courseload for your first term? That may help you see how doable it is. Also, looking into flexibility of the new position as well as what days you'll be working is important. Most master's programs have you busy during the week, so working mostly on weekends may be a better option. 

I saw that I would be taking 2 classes - neuroscience and a class similar to speech science/audiology in a period of over 2 months. My new position say they're super flexible if I ever need to leave early or come in late due to class.

10 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

Granted it's not grad school, but I've been doing my online undergrad and post bacc programs full-time while working 50-60 hours a week. If I had gone with an online grad program I was planning to quit my part-time job and work "only" 40 hours a week until the externships started. I'm very busy but it's doable (I just procrastinate doing chores/errands until it's absolutely necessary). I'm really lazy by nature and even I can do it, so as long as you're good at time management you should be fine.

Haha yes I'm pretty lazy by nature as well. So I compensate by planning out a very structured routine. 

Good job with working full time! I know during my post bac I could only work and volunteer 20 hours at most during the week. Granted I wanted a social life and sleep too. Good luck :) 

16 hours ago, katherinexo said:

Haha yes I'm pretty lazy by nature as well. So I compensate by planning out a very structured routine. 

Good job with working full time! I know during my post bac I could only work and volunteer 20 hours at most during the week. Granted I wanted a social life and sleep too. Good luck :) 

Sleep? Oh, you mean the thing I do only on weekends... :-)

I"m a current grad student and right now I work 15 hours a week. I was lucky enough to qualify for federal work study and got a job working on campus in an office. So far it's pretty manageable. Once I start my clinical my last three semesters I won't be able to work but as of now it's fine. Most of my classmates have a job(s) to help pay. While I don't make a lot, I am able to use the money to help pay for utilities and groceries so it's something! Hope that helps! :)