Hunter College MSW 2018 - Accepted Students

kmc118

22 hours ago, Zyra said:

Hi

I will most likely attend Hunter as well but I have not heard back yet from NYU. I still don't know what I should do if I get accepted to NYU. Can anyone give me some advice. 

Ask yourself what is making you stuck between the two schools? And what is more important to you money or the program? I was accepted to both schools and decided on Hunter because of the money. What you will pay at Hunter for the whole program is what you will pay at NYU just for one year and maybe even more. So NYU is double the price. I was even offered a pretty good scholarship, $17,000 and NYU is still too expensive for me. I asked NYU for me and they said that's the most they give. For me being in that much debt for NYU is just not worth it. Hunter also has a really good program so I don't believe you will be missing out on anything academic wise. I have also spoken with people that have gone to NYU and Columbia and they said the debt was not worth it. It's a lot to think about but hopefully this helped.

Hi everyone, has anyone submitted their commitment deposit form for hunter college yet? I just got accepted to nyu silver school of social work with 15k in tuition award. I am undecided where to go now. I think about the debt, the money that we will make as social workers. I have to let  hunter know by 4/27 if I accept their offer or not. Do they offer extension? I know some of you got accepted to nyu and hunter. What made you decide on Hunter or NYU?.

I’m in! 

This is definitely my top choice. I was also accepted to Fordham, which I am entertaining but can’t come up with a single reason why I would choose them over Hunter.

Very excited - I am a returning student finishing my undergrad at 38 and look forward to being around serious students. 

i have an issue with my FAFSA so when I called hoping to resolve over the phone or via fax, they told me they are only accepting this information in late May lol so I'll only know my package probably early June... which is way too late since I'm between some other schools too. I also heard applying for scholarship is only available for second year and unlikely. Sigh!

I just got my financial aid award, i was offered federal work study, should I accept it? I won't have a job once I start graduate school. Not sure how stress I will be with the internship, classes, and homework. But any kind of money helps 

Hey! I recently got my acceptance to Hunter and plan on attending. I also got accepted to NYU but howdy, the cost makes it incredibly nonviable for me (even though I would love to attend).

I submitted my FAFSA even before I finished my application so I was wondering how long it took people to receive their financial aid package. I tried calling their financial aid office, but they couldn't find me in the system (??). Their automated phone thing says we can check online (but we need a login and I don't? have? that??). So I'm gonna give it a couple days or something before calling and checking in again, I guess?

I really wish Hunter (and CUNY in general) had a better online system, but they can only do so much :(

On 5/2/2018 at 8:34 AM, Zyra said:

I just got my financial aid award, i was offered federal work study, should I accept it? I won't have a job once I start graduate school. Not sure how stress I will be with the internship, classes, and homework. But any kind of money helps 

I would definitely accept the federal work study. If you end up not working or not using it, I don't think it really matters? What it's good for is that if you do end up using it, FAFSA for the next year won't count that income against you for receiving aid.

Hi, congratulations everyone!! I just received my acceptance to Hunter today- very excited! I'm stuck between Hunter and Stony Brook for more logistic reasons than anything, and was wondering if anybody who is planning on doing the clinical track could share why they chose to go with the program (aside from the awesome cost)?

19 hours ago, kara1 said:

hi all, did everyone who got in have an interview? I applied very late in the game (just a few weeks ago). they said that they are still accepting people, but I am a bit nervous. 

I was accepted and had an interview- I haven't heard of anybody who was accepted without one yet personally. But the time between applying and receiving an interview invitation seems to vary so don't panic yet! Hopefully you will hear back soon :) 

Hey guys! So I just came from advisement. Registration starts May 16. You can find your time on cunyfirst. And pre orientation is June 14 and 21. Orientation is August 21 and 22. These are the dates for the 2 year program. 

On 5/10/2018 at 10:13 AM, cfabre said:

I finished all the steps. Has anyone heard about orientation or field placements? I was told we register for classes May 15 but nothing about orientation 

I had my interview for field placements and finished all the steps on the acceptance package on Friday. I haven't heard anything from Hunter since 

Hi future Hunter students! Does anyone have any info on health insurance while at Hunter? I asked Silberman and they told me to reach out to the Health Services office, but the person who answered the phone just said Hunter doesn't offer health insurance and it has to be done through the NY State exchange. I looked up different plans there, and it looks to be $400 - 500 / month, which seems pretty hefty.