Fulbright 2019-2020

Chamkili

Hi, I am a former Fulbrighter from Ukraine, I was doing my MSc in Mechanical Engineering at Western Michigan University in 2015-2017. After graduation, I decided to start a YouTube channel where I interview Fulbrighters from all over the world and share some application tips. Please check it out and feel free to reach me out if you have any questions!

Fulbrighter from Ukraine YouTube

Fulbrighter from Ukraine Instagram
Fulbrighter from Ukraine Facebook

Edited by Fulbrighter from Ukraine

hi everyone! like many, i also made this account solely because of the fulbright. i applied to be an ETA for south korea and i'm crossing my fingers i get it! my undergraduate was in east asian studies (technically an 'individualized major' because my school didn't have any east/asian studies major at all), i've studied korean for 3+ years and have studied abroad in south korea. i don't have any /real/ classroom teaching sort of experience but in my essay i talked about how i've had many korean friends who i've casually tutored, helped with their classwork and papers in university, etc... i would really like to go back to korea to have a real chance to be immersed this time, linguistically and culturally, especially with the mandatory year of staying with a host family. i heard that graduate students have a higher chance of being accepted so that's what concerns me most. i also love to make myself unnecessarily stressed and saw on one of the excel spreadsheets for the past few years that there were some asian studies majors who applied to the program and didn't get recommended. (i'm going to try and not think about this too much, ahaha...)

i would love to hear about everyone else's backgrounds and why they applied for their chosen countries! last year the first round of notifications seemed to be announced on january 17th-ish, so if it's the same this year, maybe we'll be finding out in around a week. good luck to everyone!!!

So, apparently whether or not you've heard back has to do with what country you've applied to. According to various reddit pages, many--if not most--of the European countries began sending out notifications at the beginning of January: https://www.reddit.com/r/fulbright/. There have also been notifications going out from some Asian countries, but not a lot. Whether or not you're an ETA vs. research applicant also factors in to when you're notified. That said, you basically have to check your email everyday from now until the 31st because, depending on the country you applied to, the notification could literally come in any day now.

Helpful info for people! I'm sure this has been posted before but just in case you're new. 

Here is the google sheet with 5+ years worth of information about dates of previous notifications. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=115471605423493897900

Here is the slack for this year! Great for asking Q's and supporting each other during the wait! https://fulbright2019-2020.slack.com/join/shared_invite/enQtNTEwNzQ0MTYyNTM0LTg1N2UyODYxZWIzMTFmMjg5NzgwN2E4MzYwZGQ2OTJkNmQyZGU1NDI2ZjliNWU4ZDYwY2RlMjY4OWI5OWQyZGQ

Fulbright candidate from Trinidad hoping to do an MDes or MFS Design. Just finished applying and waiting on interviews (have one this week!)

Any tips for getting your personality across via Skype? I feel like I fall flat when it comes to online interaction vs in person lol. 

On 1/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, Peanut said:

I'm recommended for Costa Rica (research). But now my hopes are up.... :(

As they should!:D

"This meeting [the semi-finalist stage] is where the first big 'cut' in the Fulbright competition gets made. In most cases only about the top 20‐30%of applications to a given country or region will be forwarded beyond this stage."

"In general about half the application dossiers forwarded by the NSC will ultimately be selected for an award — depending on the number of applications received that year and on available funding."

Source:

http://gradfellows.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/Fulbright-Selection-Process.pdf

Edited by LopeyTall

4 hours ago, LopeyTall said:

As they should!:D

"This meeting [the semi-finalist stage] is where the first big 'cut' in the Fulbright competition gets made. In most cases only about the top 20‐30%of applications to a given country or region will be forwarded beyond this stage."

"In general about half the application dossiers forwarded by the NSC will ultimately be selected for an award — depending on the number of applications received that year and on available funding."

Source:

http://gradfellows.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/Fulbright-Selection-Process.pdf

MY HOPES CANNOT BE UP

Awesome Nat-Geo enhancement award webinar today! If anybody missed it but is interested, they will be posting a recording of it to the Nat Geo application instructions page that we were emailed about.